Start by marking “Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2)” as Want to Read:
Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2)

Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle #2)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  29,857 Ratings  ·  1,831 Reviews
Young merchant Abdullah leads a humble life. Or he did until a stranger sold him a threadbare—and disagreeable—magic carpet. Now Abdullah is caught in the middle of his grand daydreams. Waking one night in a luxurious garden, he meets and falls instantly in love with the beautiful and clever Flower-in-the-Night. But a wicked djinn sweeps the princess away right before Abdu ...more
Published April 22nd 2008 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Castle in the Air, please sign up.
LJF They are in this, but one of them doesn't show up until the middle of the story, the other until nearly the end. However, if you're paying attention,…moreThey are in this, but one of them doesn't show up until the middle of the story, the other until nearly the end. However, if you're paying attention, you can actually figure out where they are much sooner than that.(less)
LJF Technically, it is the second book, but I'd probably call it a companion book instead. Sophie and Howl are in this, but they aren't the main…moreTechnically, it is the second book, but I'd probably call it a companion book instead. Sophie and Howl are in this, but they aren't the main characters.(less)

Emma (Miss Print)
Feb 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Castle in the Air" is Diana Wynne Jones' sequel to her amazingly awesome novel "Howl's Moving Castle." It was originally published in 1990 (four years after "Howl's Moving Castle"). At first glance, this novel doesn't sound like a sequel--it sounds more like a companion book at best--but I promise it does explain more about Howl and Sophie, just not right away and not, perhaps, in the most obvious way.

That said, this story is set in the Sultanates of Rashpuht a land far to the south of Ingary (
Mark Lawrence
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very readable book from DWJ, and one I've just finished reading to my daughter, Celyn. Refreshingly independent princesses being semi-saved by our devoted hero, a carpet salesman from the desert city of Zanzib. He's not hero material, and never resorts to violence, but he's a good fellow and carries the story well.

We get all the standard Aladdin-esque trappings, a magic carpet, a genie in a bottle, evil djinns, bandits, sultans, camels... and for a while you think you know roughly where
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
In this sequel to Howl's Moving Castle, the wizard Howl gets mixed up with djinni, genies (in this story they're two different species) and some Arabian Nights-type characters (from the sanitized version I read as a child). Abdullah, a humble young carpet merchant with big (day)dreams, is sold a magic carpet by a suspicious-looking stranger, which leads him to a beautiful princess named Flower-in-the-Night, a genie in a bottle, and other adventures. Abdullah is forced to leave behind his daydrea ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2), Diana Wynne Jones (1934)
Castle in the Air is a young adult fantasy novel written by Diana Wynne Jones, and first published in 1990. The novel is a sequel to Howl's Moving Castle and is set in the same fantasy world, though it follows the adventures of Abdullah rather than Sophie Hatter. The plot is based on stories from the Arabian Nights. The book features many of the characters from Howl's Moving Castle, often under some sort of disguise.
تاریخ نخست
Kristijan
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zamak u oblacima donosi u istoj meri ono što nam je doneo i njegov prethodnik - pregršt šarenila i avantura. Zbog tematike na momente sam morao da se podsećam da ovo nije Salman Ruždi, već neko drugi...
Stil pripovedanja, ali i pisanja, je otprilike isti kao u prvom delu, i može se naslutiti kako će se roman završiti, kao i "prošlost" određenih magijskih predmeta ili likova. Jednostavno čitalac može da "nanjuši" sumnjivog lika ili sumnjiv predmet i da pretpostavi šta se u njemu krije.
Interesantne
Victor Almeida
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
Terminar uma leitura sorrindo não tem preço. Não tinha dúvidas de que esse livro seria fantástico, assim como O Castelo Animado.

A escrita da Diana é fora do comum. Ela sabe fazer com que a história brilhe e transborde magia. A forma como é escrito, parecendo quase uma fábula antiga, te imerge em um universo magnífico e deslumbrante, com personagens maravilhosos e completamente diferentes. Eu me apaixonei tudo de novo. Fiquei surpreso em me deparar com algumas coisas de O Castelo Animado — não ac
Cat
Jul 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beatriz
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Le había puesto tres estrellas de primero, pero me lo he pensado y he cambiado a dos porque el machismo que impregna esta historia no me dejaba disfrutar de ella. El castillo ambulante es uno de mis libros favoritos, y toparme ahora con ESTO, de verdad que no lo entiendo.

Aunque no continúa la historia como tal después de El castillo ambulante, sí aparecen sus personajes allá por el último tercio del libro. Pero, vamos, para lo que hacen, mejor que no los hubiese metido en la historia, porque est
Krystle
Aug 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Castle in the Air is the sequel to Howl’s Moving Castle. That being said I picked this up with trepidation because I was rather disappointed the book wasn’t going to be from the main characters in the first, nor would it have a direct focus on it. But they do occur later on.

That being said, I loved this book! I loved how she managed to turn this into another one of her witty, light-hearted, but not lacking in depth, fantasy tales. It was unique, original, and if I hadn’t read spoilers beforehand
Katerina Kondrenko
8.5 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:
John Me – Love Is My Drug, Is My Medicine

Genre: fairytale, fantasy
Stuff: jinn, flying carpet and castle, magic
Fail: funny, but not charismatic MC
WOW: old characters, the plot, humor
POV: 3rd person, male
Love-Geometry: none

Quote-Core:
“Fate doesn't care most of the time.
Marianne (Instagram - longmayweread) W
I won't ever get tired of Howl and Sophie, even if there's not very much of them here. Still, a fun and enjoyable book!
[Name Redacted]
Loved it. Even better than the preceding volume (which I did enjoy), because everything I disliked about Howl's Moving Castle was fixed herein.
Ricardo
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
4.5 / 5

Una descripción hermosa de los escenarios. Incluso poética. Un excelente y original libro de fantasía.

Reseña: http://www.eternamenteentiniebla.com/...
Erin
If you read and enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle and have yet to read this, what are you waiting for? Come on now, go read it. At once.

I liked Castle in the Air better than its predecessor, surprisingly. There are several reasons for this:

1. The plot makes more sense on a first read-- there's a clear mission from the get-go, and the reveals at the end aren't at all confusing.

2. It's not exactly a retelling... but there are clear, surely intended parallels to the story of Aladdin. I really liked the
Azumi
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Al principio del libro la historia me estaba gustando pero no me acababa de convencer, me hacía gracia la alfombra, el genio me caía super bien, los gatitos, pero no conseguía conectar con Abdullah ni el soldado. Toda la historia de Flor-en-la-noche me estaba pareciendo un poquitín empalagosilla y deseaba que pasasen más cosas.

Pero cual fue mi sorpresa cuando se va descubriendo poco a poco (view spoiler)
Steph // bookplaits
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
I thought this was really fun read, just slightly more than Howl's Moving Castle, which I was surprised by! The main character in this one, Abdullah, speaks in the most ridiculous, flowery way, and I loved it! I can see why people might get bored of it after a while, but I continued to find it very charming. Probably my main issue was Abdullah equating slimness with beauty, and of course the whole insta-love thing between him and Flower-in-the-Night (what a name...). I was so intrigued to find o ...more
☆ ĄňŊǡƂėƮĦ ☆ ŞŧŎŋė
this book was really good! it was funny and had all of hte great characters from Howl's Moving Castle along with a few new and very entertaining characters. there were some plot twists along with curses and disguises. it had a great ending with many surprises. so all in all, the perfect book.
Heidi
Jun 22, 2012 rated it liked it
One of the marks of my favorite authors is their ability to keep me guessing–the knowledge that when I crack open one of their books, I should expect the unexpected. This is only my second Diana Wynne Jones read, but I can already see her name rising in the ranks of the authors who do just that. Like Howl’s Moving Castle, Castle in the Air is an incredibly smart, adventurous, twisting read that is a credit to readers of all ages. At no point did I know where the story was going, and in the end I ...more
Angigames
Sinceramente mi ha spiazzato e non in modo positivo.
Io pensavo che fosse in tutto e per tutto un sequel, anche se venivano presentati nuovi personaggi, nuove storie, che la presenza di Howl e Sophie fosse sicura e persistente.
Invece no! Il mio adorato Howl si presenta quasi alla fine, in modo si bizzarro, come sua abitudine, ma per niente significativo!
Mi sono sentita quasi tradita! Ammetto che possa sembrare una cosa estremamente emotiva, ma così è stato… presa dalla massima delusione, non m
Alycia
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea what I wanted to read next and so I perused my library's overdrive where I found this book to be available for download. I love when a random selection becomes a book you fall in love with! Flying carpets, djinns, loveable characters, compelling storyline...it had all this and more! Definitely will pick up more by Diana Wynne Jones in the future. :)
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
(3.5 stars) Not as good as Howl’s Moving Castle, but enjoyable. I don't know what else to say about it, possibly because listening to it on audiobook means I started it so long ago. I missed Howl and Sophie and Calcifer, and felt that this book had a little less of the inherent charm Moving Castle had, though it has its own humor (especially the genie).
Myles
DWJ Book Toast, #7

Diana Wynne Jones is one of my favorite fantasy authors, growing up and now, and I was saddened by the news of her death. I can't say I'm overcome with emotion - as personal as some of her work is to me, its not like I knew her after all - but I wish I could put into words how I feel about her no longer being out there, writing new adventures and laughing at all of us serious fans thinking so hard about her words when we should simply get on with the business of enjoying them.

A
I r h
Oct 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2010
El argumento, si nos fijamos bien, tiene un cierto toque de Las mil y una noches que le diferencia claramente de EL CASTILLO AMBULANTE. Y es que, si lo que esperas es encontrarte una continuación, aquí no la encontrarás. Casi podríamos decir que es un libro aparte.

Así, nos encontramos siendo testigos de las aventuras (¿o quizá desventuras?) de Abdullah por encontrar a su amadísima y bellísima Flor-en-la-noche. Tengo que decir que ambos me han encantado. Uno por su fuerza y sus ganas de conseguir
Amber McCarter
Though full of magic, the magical feel of this storytelling did not quite measure up to Howl's Moving Castle. Too much telling and not enough showing, even for a format that is largely telling, on the surface... Nevertheless, it was engaging and had its own fair share of messages regarding things such as self-worth, intention, and manifestation emanating from within and between its lines... So, certainly worth the read.

For my own ease of reference...
Timothy Urges
Entertaining, but a little contrived.
Elen
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
*3.5
Amy Leigh
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This as a great spin off to Howl's Moving Castle. While Howl and Sophie aren't main characters you will see them at small points throughout the story. This story felt like a fun retelling of Arabian Nights/Aladdin. I connected with Abdullah quickly and loved how much of his life we learn about before he meets the princess. The way he finds the flying carpet is so well written and the story is just a fun read.
Kristina
Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones, although described as the second book in the Howl’s Moving Castle series, isn’t really a continuation of the first book, Howl’s Moving Castle. It’s more of a companion novel. I would still probably read HMC first, because it establishes the characters that you (eventually) run into, but this book has a different story. I didn’t like this book as much because the characters aren’t as interesting or endearing, but the story is entertaining.

Abdullah is a rug
Arminzerella
Sesana
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, magic
Castle in the Air is indeed a companion to Howl's Moving Castle, but the first thing to accept is that you won't be seeing much of Howl and Sophie. Once I did that, I was able to relax and enjoy this entirely different book.

Abdullah is from Rashpuht, and this is where the story begins. As the names suggest, there's a definite "Arabian Nights" flavor to the narrative. Abdullah finds himself with a magic carpet, that he doesn't know how to control, exactly, and meets with the princess Flowers-in-t
Nothing But Readi...: Wynne Jones, Diana--Castle in the Air starts July 5, 2018 38 161 Jul 09, 2018 09:26PM
12th Grade Englis...: Jinghua Yu's Winter Break Reading 1 9 Jan 11, 2018 09:33PM
Around the Year i...: Castle in The Air, by Diana Wynne Jones 1 10 Dec 25, 2017 09:30PM
Into the Forest: Castle in the Air - SPOILERS 10 29 Apr 20, 2017 10:40AM
Into the Forest: Castle in the Air - NO spoilers 15 27 Mar 16, 2017 07:41AM
Purple Elephants ...: Castle in the Air (June 2015) 8 9 Aug 17, 2015 12:23PM
Should I read this? 9 67 Oct 23, 2014 12:21PM
  • Book of Enchantments
  • Flora's Dare (Flora Trilogy, #2)
  • The Lioness and Her Knight (The Squire's Tales, #7)
  • The Kestrel (Westmark #2)
  • Magic Below Stairs
  • The Perilous Gard
  • A Wizard of Mars (Young Wizards, #9)
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Shadow (The Twelve Kingdoms, #1)
  • Wolf-Speaker (Immortals, #2)
  • Wren to the Rescue (Wren, #1)
  • The Changeover
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • Chalice
Diana was born in London, the daughter of Marjorie (née Jackson) and Richard Aneurin Jones, both of whom were teachers. When war was announced, shortly after her fifth birthday, she was evacuated to Wales, and thereafter moved several times, including periods in Coniston Water, in York, and back in London. In 1943 her family finally settled in Thaxted, Essex, where her parents worked running an ed ...more
More about Diana Wynne Jones

Howl's Moving Castle (3 books)
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • The Rules of Magic
    $11.99 $4.99
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“I am a believer in free will. If my dog chooses to hate the whole human race except myself, it must be free to do so.” 349 likes
“Take it from me, Fate doesn't care most of the time.” 265 likes