Start by marking “Merlin's Gift” as Want to Read:
Merlin's Gift

Merlin's Gift

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
It is the glory days of Camelot, as King Arthur begins a campaign to conquer all of Europe. But his unhappy bastard son Mordred foresees only doom, and the downfall of Arthur and Britain. And so Mordred and Queen Guinevere plot to overthrow Arthur, sparking a civil war, and setting the stage for the return of the wizard Merlin, exiled years earlier by the king.
Published August 1st 1997 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about Merlin's Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merlin's Gift

Jackie
Nov 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, celtic, arthurian
Better than Mordred's Curse.
Mordred is less bitter, and his view of the characters are more likeable.
Still vulgar and full of profanity, it is worth the read if you enjoy alternate Arthurian works.
Arthurianmaiden
Jan 03, 2013 rated it liked it

This second novel is about the end of Camelot and Mordred's story but also Guinevere and Nimue's story. I liked it more than the first novel mostly for the fact that the first novel seemed a bit disconnected in little pieces of plots instead of a whole book. Still, it all seemed... very cold.
I liked Mordred and Guinevere together and I especially loved the fact that Mordred's war against Arthur is not about Arthur, this time, but about trying to be with Guinevere and just that. Still I was a lit
Dan Schwent
Jan 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Right off the bat, this book has my favorite opening line of any book ever. I'd relate it here but I don't want to spoil it. Never the less, it was what made me decide I was going to enjoy this book and its predecessor, Mordred's Curse.

Dan Schwent
Feb 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Merlin's Gift was a great sequel and a logical follow up to the first book. It's ten years later and Mordred and Guinevere are keeping things on the down low after the climax of the last book. Guinevere's sister is changing and Mordred goes to Merlin for help. Lit
Dinos
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a very satisfying conclusion to the two-part series that begins with "Mordred's Curse."

I like this book better than the first, partly because Mordred has moved beyond his bitterness toward the world and especially his father, Arthur. This book doesn't get bogged down with Mordred's youthful narcissism and self-pity the way the first book does; as a result, Mordred is a more sympathetic character, though still not entirely likeable.

The extent of Merlin's depravity, only hinted at in the f
Nikki
This sequel is again written from Mordred's point of view. He's still the same average guy, not quite a hero, but nothing terrible either. It's interesting how he gets Lancelot's role in this, but then, this book definitely isn't the kind in which our courtly lover would exactly fit. The fact that Mordred is starting to like Arthur again after all his bitterness toward him in the first book is realistic, and introduces a bit more conflict into it.

The first line of the book makes me snicker: "Non
Anita