Start by marking “Ghost Writers: Us Haunting Them, Contemporary Michigan Literature” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Ghost Writers: Us Haun...

Keith John Taylor

Ghost Writers: Us Haunting Them, Contemporary Michigan Literature

For "Ghost Writers: Us Haunting Them" editors Keith Taylor and Laura Kasischke asked twelve celebrated Michigan writers to submit new stories on one subject: ghosts. The resulting collection is a satisfying mix of tales by some of the state's most well-known and award-winning writers. Some of the pieces are true stories written by non-believers, while others are clearly fi ...more
Published May 14th 2014 by Wayne State University Press (first published August 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Writers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Writers

Start your review of Ghost Writers: Us Haunting Them, Contemporary Michigan Literature
Megan
It's difficult to rate a book of short stories by different authors, since my opinion on the different stories varies wildly. Some, like Ghost Anecdote, Backseat Driver, and Estate Sale were creepy. Others, like Bones on Bois Blanc, had potential but were let down by a rather dumb ending (in this case, a stupidly happy ending where everybody's problems--including a struggling marriage--were miraculously solved). Finally, there were ones that just made no sense--The Man at the Edge was one.
Karen
May 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual with a short story collection, I enjoyed some of the stories and others not so much. Some of them are set in Michigan, others refer to Michigan in some capacity, some are by Michigan authors. I had previously been familiar with Elizabeth Kostova and Laura Kasischke. The others I did not know.
Tim
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The two editors, both contributors to this collection, have brought together ten other Michigan writers to produce some form of ghostly writing. All twelve pieces have Michigan settings, and each tale represents a varying degree of spectral—not spiritual—speculation. The editors challenge the reader to judge whether a piece might be a true tale, pure fiction, or personal essay.

When considering Michigan, most readers probably will consider the hard economic depression and depopulation that the St
Rachelle Urist
My book club read this. I read parts of it. The stories are haunting, but in the stories I read, the ghosts are not the supernatural kind. They are figments of the imagination, surreal in the way visions and sensations, fabricated by our minds, a real. They toy with our reality testing. The stories are rife with premonitions; ghosts of history; phantoms created by light, fear, anxiety, dread, remorse, and guilt. It's lovely to have these very real features of the psyche turned into stories that ...more
Jan 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 'ghost' element is treated very differently in each of these stories. Some needed more development to connect the ghosts and the other story elements into a satisfying story.

I enjoyed the Laura Hulthen Thomas story "Bones on Bois Blanc" Anne-Marie Oomen's "Bitchathane." Those two had full characters (even the ghosts) and payoff.

Others felt like too-early drafts. Or, most annoying for a "Made in Michigan" book, the authors pushed Michigan stereotypes in ways that did no service to the story.
J
Jan 02, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was excited to see a local book. But that excitement waned when the authors repeatedly pushed that fact - as if they realized it was the only selling point. And indeed, these stories have all the impact of random high school essays.

I was disappointed to see Wayne State University's heavy influence on the book. Their work product always seems to be heavily propagandized, misguided and substandard.
Patricia Joynton
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I liked ghostly stories I would give it a 5. The writing is excellent. And, even though ghostly stories are not my thing, I am enjoying it. I would recommend this book. I especially like the format of short stories. You can begin and end a story in a short period and do not have to pick it up in a continuous manner.

I am a little over half way through. No hurry.
Liz
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wsup
Bought when I attended State of the Book 2012.
Kim
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I may not have enjoyed all of the stories, but it was fun reading about stories in Michigan - fact or fiction. The one I liked most was about a lighthouse. Let me know which you enjoyed most.
Marnie
Apr 13, 2012
Jun 04, 2015
Gretchen Turonek
Jan 25, 2016

• Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • Ghosts of Southeast Michigan
  • More Haunted Michigan: New Encounters with Ghosts of the Great Lakes State
  • Ghosts of Michigan's Upper Peninsula
  • Edible and Medicinal Plants of the Great Lakes Region
  • Dark Harvest
  • A Cosmology of Monsters
  • Halloween Candy with a Side of Murder (Daley Buzz Mystery #6)
  • Night Manual
  • The Way North: Collected Upper Peninsula New Works
  • Brown: Poems
  • Trumbull Ave.
  • An American Sunrise
Keith John Taylor is an Australian science fiction and fantasy writer.

Born in Tasmania, Taylor now resides in Melbourne, Australia. Getting his start in Ted White's Fantastic magazine, Taylor went on to collaborate with Andrew J. Offutt on two novels based upon the Robert E. Howard hero, Cormac Mac Art. His series of novels centering around the Irish bard, Felimid mac Fal, was published throughout