Start by marking “Broken Symmetry” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Broken Symmetry

Jack Ridl

Broken Symmetry

Broken Symmetry is a collection drawn from the experiences of daily life and organized through the context of mathematics. Poet Jack Ridl uses remarkably clear and precise language to express a singular awareness of the world around us. Some of the poems in this volume deal with the universal human experience of loss, others discover a fresh perspective on what is easily o ...more
Published May 14th 2014 by Wayne State University Press (first published March 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Symmetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Symmetry

Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michigan poet Jack Ridl has created a wonder of a book. If, as they say, God is in the details, the selections in broken symmetry glisten with the divine. Every small item – and Jack chronicles lots of them in his poems: collections of salt and pepper shakers, Vs of geese, broken windows, a spray of violets sent from France during World War II – shines with significance.

Jack’s specificity forces us to pay attention to the complexity of overlooked things, taken-for-granted things, as in his “The
Jaci Millette Cooper
I picked a copy of this collection up at the library in Holland, wanting to read some local Michigan poetry while on vacation downstate. Jack's first two poems, "Broken Symmetry, the title piece, and "The History of Pencils" are absolutely stunning and set high expectations for the rest of the collection-- expectations that were not quite met. Jack's contemplative poems seamlessly flowed together and touched on themes of family, simplicity versus complexity, and the interconnectedness of everyth ...more
Amanda Rounds
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to go on and on and on forever to sing Jack Ridl’s praises, and to thank him for the way his words grip my heart until the wringing comes out of my eyes in emotions, but that would be a disservice.

He captures so much in one object, one pause. The poems wrap the reader up in the quilt of his words until it’s your favorite blanket and you refuse to sleep without it until it’s committed to memory.

Do yourself a favor and hear Jack read his poems to you. They are out there in cyberland... Rea
Kimberly Seibert
Nothing really stuck out to me in this collection
Camille Chidsey
Jan 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I really liked the tone of this book. It's quietly meditative, very lyrical, and I enjoyed his responses to everyday events. It's a nice, contemplative book of poetry, partly because of his nature as a person and partly due to his religious motivations I'm not religious but I think he wrote about religion well. It's a good read for those who say they "don't get poetry."
Tim Lepczyk
Jan 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Jack was one of my teachers and I'm still learning from him. This collection has a quiet tone to it and the poems shift in unexpected ways that leave you in the right place, but which you had no idea you were heading toward.
Stephen Frey Wagg
Feb 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poets, michiganders
One of my college poetry professors, a former circus clown, and a native of my adopted love, Pittsburgh.

Katey Bassett
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
these words got me through a hard time, so thankful someone thought of me when they read these words.
Jennifer Louden
Jul 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to attend a writer's retreat with Jack a few years back - what a wonderful man and talented poet.
Kiley
Dec 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
my uncle is a very well known poet.... a few years ago he was honored with an award that is similar to a pulitzer but for poets. obviously im partial, but this is a must read.
Andrea Cleary
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this book, by the fabulous writer and professor and mentor and friend... Jack Ridl! I cannot wait for his new book to come out.
Annie
Jul 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
a poet for anyone who says 'I love poetry' and for anyone who says 'I don't get poetry'...
Joy Gaines-friedler
Jill
Jul 03, 2013
Katelyn
Oct 25, 2015
Jack Ridl born on April the 10th of 1944, is an American poet, and was a professor of English at Hope College,

Ridl's father, Charles "Buzz" Ridl, coached basketball at Westminster College, Pennsylvania and the University of Pittsburgh. Ridl graduated from Westminster College, Pennsylvania with a BA and M.Ed., in 1970. He lives in Laketown Township, Michigan, with his wife, Julie.

His work has appea