Start by marking “Otter in Space” as Want to Read:
Otter in Space

Otter in Space

(Otter #2)

Fans of picture book characters like Pete the Cat and Clark the Shark will love the curious, charming, and playful Otter, who made her debut in I Am Otter. In her second book, Otter in Space, she and her best friend, Teddy, set off on a once-in-a-lifetime adventure—to the moon!

Otter's utterly winning voice and Sam Garton's classic yet fresh artwork combine to create a trul
Published May 5th 2015 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Otter in Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Otter in Space

David Schaafsma
Nov 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
The whole family is reading all these Goodreads Children's Illustrated book nominees for 2015 and rating all of them. This is #17 of 20 for us.

This is one of those books where there is a pretty clear discrepancy between my view as an adult reader and two of my kids's views. I am not a fan of this artwork. I think Otter is just okay. A lot of people really liked this, and it has his highest rating, but I just think it is good, not great. Forgettable. Probably I could have rated it lower, but I ju
Kimberly
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Favorite line: "Giraffe offered to drive. But I don't think he really knows how." (I'm slightly obsessed with this bug-eyed giraffe...he looks shifty).

This is very cute. Well done, Sam...since I know you'll see this review. :)
Janetreid
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love Otter in Space! The very imaginative way Otter finds to go into space will appeal to every kid (no matter how old!)

This is the second Otter book and I love it even more than the first.

Abigail
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone Who Read & Enjoyed "I Am Otter"
That imaginative and mischief-making otter, whose story began in British author/artist Sam Garton's I Am Otter , returns in this second entertaining picture-book romp. When the Otter Keeper takes Otter and her best friend Teddy to the museum, the little lutrine trouble-maker is intrigued by the displays devoted to outer space. The next day, while playing with Teddy, Otter decides that in order to get the moon rock they (clearly) need, they will have to travel to the source...

Like its predecesso
Shandra
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Adorable! I look forward to reading this in storytime. The illustrations are very sweet - I especially love the page with Otter showing how serious she was about keeping the moon rock, by keeping her space suit on. Of course, I do have a thing for artfully drawn eyebrows... The humor is excellent as well, just like the first book!
Karen Wales
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Great fun. My first Otter book.
Alyssa
Otter is pretty naughty.
Tracy Morton
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This was very cute. The book talks about museums and about being creative. Otter wants a moon rock so he creates a space suit and space ship and pretends to launch to the moon and returns with a big rock from the garden. I will definitely be adding this to my space storytime.
Celebrilomiel
Yet another home run from Sam Garton, who has become one of my favorite children's book author-illustrators, up there with Sandra Boynton, Mo Willems, Carter Goodrich, and Molly Idle.

Otter is so expressive, and all the illustrations are dynamic: a lot is going on in both overt and implied movement, which deftly conveys the story. The art has a chubby-cute quality reminiscent of Play-Doh that renders the characters — especially Otter and Giraffe — immanently squishable. The vibe is cute but never
Margaret Chind

Originally posted on Creative Madness Mama.

Love I Am Otter! I Am Otter in Space is also adorable (it’s that word again…) and sooo imaginative! I Am Otter is now a favorite character of mine. He is definitely fit to amuse fans of Paddington, Curious George, Marley, and Alvin and the Chimpmunks. At the time we read this for the first time, we were planning a trip to the U.S. Space Center, thus I Am Otter in Space was perfectly appropriate for us. It would make a great addition to any space or moon
Tobinsfavorite
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Again, the art is wonderful. Otter, crossed, is a sight to behold.

There is an amusing disconnect between Otter's calm description of not getting all the toys she wants and the look on her face.

She is also a force to be reckoned with, executing her plan to obtain her moon rock and never even considering giving it up. Good for you, Otter!

(Our librarian has ordered more Otter! and there is another that hasn't been in when I looked. Good for us!)
Holly
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sam Garton's Otter books are whimsical and just plain fun to read. The illustrations are vibrant, captivating, and beautiful. Otter in Space, like the other Otter books, truly capture childlike innocence and imagination. This is a wonderful book!
Jan Polep
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Seriously, you otter buy this one and "I am Otter". For the preschool-3rd grade crowd, this time Otter visits a museum and follows up with a hunt for a moon rock of her own. Her sidekicks, Teddy and Giraffe, suit up and train for the adventure with hysterical outfits, activities, and outcomes. LOVED IT!
Laura Harrison
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable. Love the vivid illustrations and frankly I get a kick out of otters. Great job!
Michele
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pay close attention to the illustration where she calls everyone to help her build a spaceship. Spoiler alert: it's a hot mess, but still PERFECT!
Manju
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a PB writer, I'm excited to read picture books with a believable voice. I believe Otter can go to space. After all Otter has a plan.
Krysta
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very clever and amusing story that celebrates the imagination. I can't get enough of Otter and Teddy!
Sara Grochowski
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yay for more Otter!
Bethany
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A bit long for storytime but great to share one on one.
Josie
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
OMG! I came across I am Otter at the circulation desk of our library. THAT art work OMG - I had to read it. Then I shared it with some library friends who also LOVED IT! Then we found MORE Otter books. I am in love. The personality of this animal, and expressions. IT IS SO SWEET! FANTASTIC!
Got to get your MOON ROCK! IMAGINATION IS THE BEST!
Robin
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute and curious Otter is on a quest for a moon rock.
Brittany
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute story about an otter and his journey to find a "moon rock." Adorable and simple.
There simply are not enough Otter books out there.
Darinda
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Otter visits the museum and loves the part about outer space. When Otter is back home, she decides to travel to the moon to get a moon rock.

A cute book. Otter creates an adventure to the moon and back with wonderful imagination and creativity.
Natashasiberian79adgmail.Com
My toddler giggles and hunts for giraffe. I laugh and shake my head. Then I laugh harder when she makes her own space ship and says she has to have a giraffe.
Pop Bop
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Remarkably, This Second Otter Story Is Even Better Than the First

The first Otter book had to bear the burden of introducing Otter, Otter Keeper, Otter's best friend Teddy and the entire world of Otter. It was charming and imaginative, but as I say it had to cover a lot of ground. It was still marvelous. When all of the elements come together in just the right balance - as they did then - you have a real winner.

But this book. First off, Otter Keeper takes Otter and Teddy to the Museum, which is
A.C. Paige
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A sweet little book about pretending to go to outer space.
Sandra
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Otter liked many thing he saw in this visit to the museum with Teddy and Otter Keeper, but the best of all of them was the Outer Space Room. All he can think about now is in having a moon rock to play with! The only solution seems to be going to the Moon and bring a rock. Time to get prepared! There are space suits to design, a spaceship to build, and some training to do. Finally Otter and Teddy are ready to go. They launch from the top to the slide, and they land on the backyard. The perfect mo ...more
Emmaline MacBeath
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
SUMMARY: Otter keeper brings Otter and Teddy to a museum where he sees all sorts of cool stuff like dinosaur bones and old paintings. But most exciting to Otter is the space exhibit. They get to see a real moon rock. Otter wants to buy a moon rock as a souvenir, but Otter keeper only lets him buy one of the many things he wants. Once home, Otter decides to plan a trip to the moon in order to get a moon rock himself. Many funny things happen along the journey.

ILLUSTRATIONS: The illustrations were
  • What To Do With a Box
  • Float
  • Wanted: The Perfect Pet
  • Is There a Dog in This Book?
  • Rhinoceros Tap: 15 Seriously Silly Songs
  • This Is Sadie
  • Princess Super Kitty
  • Little Miss, Big Sis
  • First Snow
  • Pete the Cat: Five Little Pumpkins
  • Silly Wonderful You
  • Penguin's Big Adventure (Penguin)
  • If You Plant a Seed
  • What are You So Grumpy About?
  • How to Put Your Parents to Bed
  • Red: A Crayon's Story
  • Max the Brave
  • Princess Furball
I’m Sam, I’m 33 and I live in Wokingham! I have a degree in illustration and I spend most of my time drawing Otters whilst generally making a mess and thinking about why I still haven’t bought a kitten. I like putting inappropriate sweets in the freezer (Jelly tots) and my favourite film is Homeward bound. I wish I looked cool wearing headbands but I don’t. Oh and I’m rubbish at looking after hous ...more

Otter (9 books)
  • I Am Otter
  • Otter Goes to School
  • Otter Loves Halloween
  • Otter Loves Easter!
  • Otter: Let's Go Swimming!
  • Otter: Hello, Sea Friends!
  • Otter: The Best Job Ever!
  • Otter: Oh No, Bath Time!