Start by marking “Friends for Freedom” as Want to Read:
Friends for Freedom

Friends for Freedom

No one thought Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglass would ever become friends. The former slave and the outspoken woman came from two different worlds. But they shared deep-seated beliefs in equality and the need to fight for it. Despite naysayers, hecklers, and even arsonists, Susan and Frederick became fast friends and worked together to change America.
Published January 1st 2014 by Charlesbridge Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Friends for Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Friends for Freedom

Ross
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great children's book on the friendship between two remarkable Americans who fought for equal rights for women and African-Americans!
Jason Smith
This book is about the unlikely friendship between Frederick Douglass and Susan B Anthony. This book tells their story about working with each other and fighting for their different causes and even when they disagree still being able to work together and listen to each other. The book features a common theme of one page having a illustration on the edge while white space at the top of the page contains text and then after the page break we get a single page full bleed illustration. This continue ...more
Katie
A higher reading level than Two Friends, which allows this author to delve more deeply into the complexity of the friendship between Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglass. It's useful for children to understand that people can disagree and still be friends.
Linda
I loved this book. It highlights an important friendship between two people who were passionate about equality. Good illustrations. Solid back matter. Read aloud to 5th grade and they really liked it.
Rebecca Plaza
A teachable approach to important 19th century, turn of century Americans who found great benefit from friendship. Fredrick Douglass and Susan B. Anthony.
A.
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review on my blog.

Friends for Freedom is non-fiction picture book about the little known friendship between Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglass. The text is simple and clear, with issues like human rights and slavery explained in accessible, but still engaging language. Soft, inviting watercolor illustrations elegantly capture fiery expressions as these two civil rights leaders passionately discuss their respective causes. (And side note--I just really love Tadgell's illustrations of Douglas
Annie
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed how this book was non-fiction, but written as an engaging narrative of the friendship between these two civil rights activists. At first, I was skeptical, because I didn't think that Douglass was all that sympathetic to the women's movement. In fact, I thought I had read that he didn't really take the Seneca Falls Convention that seriously. This is somewhat addressed in this book when the author mentions "a disagreement," and the author does have an extensive amount of research notes a ...more
Holly Mueller
My students just finished reading a play adapted from Frederick Douglass's autobiography, so I think they'll enjoy reading this biography about the friendship of he and Susan B. Anthony. I thought it was interesting that the two also battled with each other at times. Their friendship of 45 years lasted until Douglass's death in 1895. Douglass lived long enough to see both the 13th and 15th Amendments pass, but unfortunately, Anthony died 14 years before the 19th Amendment. Both endured hardships ...more
Pam  Page
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot about the friendship between Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglass in this book. The back matter at the end of the book has even more information that's very interesting as well as all of the sources that were used for research. The illustrations are not my favorite style and I feel that that the cover illustration may turn students off from reading the book. But teachers can certainly sell this book by sharing some of the information!
Stacey Mulholland
I'm impressed at how much research was done and cited in this book for middle readers. It's a great example for kids to see how author's research what they write about.

Story has a great message about two very important people of the 19th century.
Lindsay
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool-read
Great pictures, text and message. It was over my four-year-old's head, so we'll try this book again at a later date. Save this book for when you're ready to address slavery.
Leslie
Great story about little known history fact. Loved learning more about these two civil rights activists.
Brenda Kahn
Engaging picture book biography of the "ahead of their time" friendship between two freedom fighters.
Daisya Spencer
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#DiverseAThon Day 1
Here is a link to the review:
Skyler Paulsen