Start by marking “Dying For Christmas” as Want to Read:
Dying For Christmas

Dying For Christmas

But I have a secret. No-one has guessed it. Will you?
Published November 20th 2014 by Transworld Digital (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Dying For Christmas, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Adrienne Hughes
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Milena
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Q:
Three interesting things about me. Well, I’m twenty-nine years old, I’m phobic about buttons. Oh yes, and I’m dying.
...
Oh well, you live and learn.
Except in my case only one of those is true. (c)
Q:
We'd met at university, where he was studying medicine and I was studying social awkwardness and a catastrophic inability to cope with deadlines. (c)Q:
What, turn down the chance to talk about myself for fifty-five minutes a week? I’d have to be nuts. (c)
Q:
I nodded calmly. As though strange men were
Melissa
There was something about the blurb for this book that grabbed my attention. Maybe it was that I had never read a Christmas thriller before or it could be that it sounded so intriguing. Either way, it turns out, it wasn’t exactly what I had hoped for.

The opening was strong. I was captivated. Excited. Curious. What could possibly make a woman go home with a man she just met - especially when she has a boyfriend at home? Granted the man resembled Bradley Cooper and made the requisite declaration -
Chelsea Humphrey
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-publisher
Find my reviews on my blog: https://thesuspenseisthrillingme.com

Date Read: 11/14/16
Pub Date(US): 11/22/16

4 STARS

Out Christmas shopping one December afternoon, Jessica Gould meets the charming Dominic Lacey and impulsively agrees to go home with him for a drink. What follows is a Twelve Days of Christmas from hell as Lacey holds Jessica captive, forcing her to wear his missing wife’s gowns and eat lavish holiday meals. Each day he gifts her with one item from his twisted past—his dead sister’s f
Sue
DYING FOR CHRISTMAS by Tammy Cohen is one twisted dark psychological Christmas read.

“I am missing. Held captive by a blue-eyed stranger. To mark the twelve days of Christmas, he gives me a gift every day, each more horrible than the last. The twelfth day is getting closer. After that, there'll be no more Christmas cheer for me. No mince pies, no carols. No way out.

But I have a secret. No-one has guessed it. Will you?”

While Jessica Gold is out doing some Christmas shopping, she meets a stranger…w
Carol
Dec 26, 2016 added it
Shelves: thriller
The Hook - Fa la la la la, la la la la from some of my GR friends. Yes, they made a list and I checked it twice, I soon found out this book was naughty, not nice.

The Line - ”If only she could pickle this moment and put it in a jar.”

The Sinker - The first clue is the title itself. What can you expect when you put the words dying and Christmas on the cover? This is no ho, ho, ho, Santa Claus is coming to Town story, you can bet your sweet sugar cookies on this. What you will get is one darn good
Cora Tea Party Princess
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Sharon Bolton's Lacey Flint
5 Words: Christmas, kidnap, deceit, revenge, torture.

Wow. This book.

Talk about an unreliable narrator!

I loved Jessica. I loved how when I got to the end of part one, I could have happily put the book down. But that second half? It blew my mind.

Now, I love Christmas. And I love crime. But I've never really read a good mix of the two, despite a year-on-year search. That was until I picked up this gem. Honestly? I didn't even read the blurb. If I had though, I would still have picked it up, because
Petra
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk, netgalley, thrillers
This was an extremely twisty-turny psychological thriller. The first 60% were brilliant, then I felt a bit cheated but can't explain why without giving too much of the plot away. However, once I got over that, I did enjoy the remainder of the story again, although not as much as the first part, and I appreciated the ending which played out differently to what I had anticipated (and probably hoped for) but which was actually quite clever. The entire plot is full of twists and turns that made my h ...more
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I have a feeling that 2015 will be a good year for the psychological thriller category. I have already read some real winners so far. Let's toss this one into that box of goodies. This is the Christmas you don't want to have (unless you are really messed up or lunch with your Mother-In-Law is a worse option).

Elaine
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psycho, twisted
“I am missing. Held captive by a blue-eyed stranger. To mark the twelve days of Christmas, he gives me a gift every day, each more horrible than the last.”

My favourite kind of literary evil is full of charm, smooth talking, quietly voiced, sharp dressed and smiling. That is exactly what Tammy Cohen has delivered here in the form of Dominic Lacey, with a dimple to boot! This is a man who just oozes menace with a smile.

Our first narrator, Jessica, is fascinating to read about. In the words of he
Carrie
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
While out Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve Jessica Gould meets an intriguing man, Dominic Lacey, and ends up agreeing to go home with him for a drink. As soon as Jessica is alone with Dominic she immediately regrets her decision and begins to fear for what she has gotten herself into.

Jessica finds herself locked in Dominic's apartment with no means of escape as she slowly comes to realize that he has no plans of letting her go. Over the course of the next twelve days Jessica learns just what
Susan
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jessica Gold sits down for a rest from her shopping one Christmas Eve in a busy café, when a very attractive man sits opposite her. His name is Dominic Lacey and, when she realises he is flirting, Jessica is tempted. Her boyfriend Travis seems to be going through the motions in their relationship and to her parents and older, married, brothers, Jessica is always seen as the outsider – slightly strange, even weird. At first, it seems like an adventure when Dominic invites her home. She is soon ab ...more
Lee
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I did enjoy this book even though the premise of the story in the beginning was rather unbelievable. The book is split into what happened and then the investigation into this. Moves fast, keep me turning the pages and will read more of this author.
Carolyn
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
"I am missing. Held captive by a blue-eyed stranger. To mark the twelve days of Christmas, he gives me a gift every day, each more horrible than the last. The twelfth day is getting closer. After that, there'll be no more Christmas cheer for me. No mince pies, no carols. No way out."

If you like the idea of reading a creepy psychological thriller at Christmas then this one is for you. Told in two quite different halves, the first describes the abduction of a young woman called Jessica Gold while
Lisa
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-like
This book sounded great by the blurb had me in the beginning but the plot was just too unbelievable i could not connect with Jessica & Dominic at all it didn't get to any great heights for me unfortunately as i had this on my TBR list for a while was totally bored & disappointed.
Liz Barnsley
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
**4.5 stars**

Loved this clever and addictive little twisty turny tale of kidnap and torture during the season of goodwill. WAY too much fun and glitter in Christmas for my taste, I like a little bit of the dark side and Tammy Cohen has given us a perfect way to offset all the bright lights and Coca Cola adverts.

When Jessica Gould meets the charming Dominic Lacey whilst out Christmas shopping she impulsively agrees to go home with him for a drink. Once there however, it becomes clear that he inte
Tammy
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, 3-star-okay
3.5 I was hooked for the first half and then it lost me. I didn't connect with any of the characters and just found myself trying to get the second half finished. 4 for 1st half, 3 for 2nd half.
Terri Wino
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: year-2015
Goodness, when I started this book I never expected it to have more little twists than a corkscrew! There are some twisted characters as well, but I can't really say much without spoiling the story.
The blurb on the front says "Misery meets Gone Girl." I'm okay with that description.
A creepy, twisted little tale that takes place during the Christmas season.
Linda Strong
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jessica Gold has been doing some Christmas shopping when she meets a stranger.. the very charming Dominic Lacey. She agrees to go with him to his apartment. Why? you might ask. Jessica's live-in boyfriend and she are not getting along well. He's spending more and more time away and she .. well, she just wants something different.

And different is something she gets in spades! Dominic holds her hostage, forcing her to sleep in a dog crate, wear his missing wife's clothes, and eat lots of disgustin
Jules
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This is a dark psychological thriller.

It is written in two main parts. The first covers Jessica's traumatic ordeal at the hands of a very creepy and disturbed Dominic. This part feels very claustrophobic, but is also very interesting as you learn about Dominic’s awful past through the daily gifts he gives to Jessica.

Here’s a little insight into the way Dominic’s mind works:

“In the end it came down to this. What is worth more, the pain of losing someone I loved, or the pleasure of inflicting pai
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Eleventh book of my holiday reads.

Even though the story is set around mainly Christmas time, believe me there is nothing festive in this story.

The story is split into 2 parts as well as alternating between Jessica and the detective working the case into Jessica's disappearance.

This is one of those stories that the least you know about it the better. It certainly took some unexpected turns which I really enjoyed. Highly recommend for fans of psychological thrillers.
Karen
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I’ve read and loved two of Tamar Cohen’s previous books (The War of the Wives and The Broken (both reviewed on my blog)) and was so looking forward to reading this, her first book published under the name of Tammy Cohen. I took it away on holiday with me to read just before Christmas and I was so engrossed I finished it within a day and a half.

We should all be familiar with the concept of ‘stranger danger’ – would you go back to a flat belonging to a stranger who had followed you to a department
Yellagirlgc
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After finishing Dying For Christmas my jaw is still hanging around my chest area, mouth wide open and eyes wide with shock. This book had more twists than a corkscrew...literally. The storyline was completely original brought out the best in this psychological suspense. There were more than a few surprises and thats always a great thing for a bookworm like myself.
Jessica Gold is such an interestingly weird person. While Dominic Lacey is wickedly bipolar. Detective Constable Kim has the weight
Tina
This was my first Tammy Cohen book. I understand she's a highly liked psychological-thriller author. I just think this was probably not her best work.

It started off quite promising and I just had to read it to find out the "truth" until the very end. It had a lot of loops and turns along the way...sort of half way it lost me a bit. Almost like it tried too hard to play with your mind.

I thought it was still a pretty descent enough book but not a great thriller. It leaves you thinking and that's w
sue
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley, xmas
This deserves more than 5 stars from me. I just kept reading, reading and reading.

In my own words, you get this young girl whose been Christmas shopping, she gets talking to this guy [or should I say, this guy gets talking to her].

The only downside that I couldn't fathom out was why she allowed herself to go back to his apartment as she seemed like a young lady that had her head screwed on right......
that later unravels, so don't be put off by that bit.

This story gets inside your head, the tra
Raven
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
There are two things to say at about this book. One: there is very little chance that you will predict how things will turn out, and two, I laughed uproariously at several points with the dark humour contained within its pages. These two factors, along with Cohen’s control of the pace, plotting and characterisation, are reasons enough to immerse you in this criminally entertaining Yuletide read.

As the plight of mousey Jess, incarcerated by the totally debonair, but insane Dominic unfolds, you wi
Julie Cohen
Chilling, twisty and addictive. I finished the last few pages walking from the train station, bumping into people, because I couldn't put it down.
Emily
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was okay. I can't say much on it without spoiling it. The premise was awesome, and it started our to be so promising, and then it went off the rails. Everything that happened was so unlikely, and this book was way too long for the actual content. The plot twists were not surprising, and there were too many attempts to match another popular crime novel. I kept hoping I would enjoy it more, and then another absurd thing would be tacked onto the plot.
Aoife
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it

Dying for Christmas follows the moment when 2—something Jessica makes a major mistake in going home with a charming man and ends up becoming his prisoner for the 12 days of Christmas.

This thriller was a nice change to some of the sweeter, romantic books that tend to be pushed upon you from every angle at Christmas time -it was darker, twisty and at times, uncomfortable.

I found myself hooked onto this and reading it very quickly. I really enjoyed the twist that came halfway through the
Sarah Joint
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
What on earth did I just read? This book messed with my head so much by the end I didn't know which way was up. This will not be a long review because it's one of those books that the slightest spoiler could just kill it for readers. Go in without knowing much for the best experience.

Jessica was just planning on getting her late Christmas shopping accomplished and going home. She didn't count on a handsome stranger asking to share her table at the coffee shop. He is disarmingly handsome and cha
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.0 Stars

I have a strange fascination with kidnappings stories, so I was immediately intrigued when I read the synopsis for this novel.I typically have low expectations for reading holiday-themed books, so I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of writing, plot and characters. Right from the start, I was hooked into the story and read this enthralling page-turner very quickly. The detailed account of the emotional and physical torture were very disturbing, creating an intense reading experien

• Little Bones (Cathy Connolly, #1)
  • The Christmas Killer
  • The Sacrificial Man (Cate Austin, #2)
  • The Unforgivable Fix (Mort Grant #3)
  • Gone (Gardner and Freeman, #2)
  • Someone Else's Wedding
  • Clara Claus (Snowflake Triplet #1)
  • Time for Me to Come Home
  • Trust No One (DI Mike Lockyer, #3)
  • Then She Was Gone (DI Murphy and DS Rossi, #4)
  • His First Lie
  • The Happy Endings Book Club
  • Watch Me (Jefferson Winter, #2)
  • A Christmas to Remember
  • Bad Moon (Kat Campbell #2)
  • The Accidental Guest
  • Lost in the Lake (Dr. Samantha Willerby, #2)
  • Buried Alive (Carson Ryder, #7)
Tammy Cohen (who was previously published under her formal name Tamar Cohen) is a freelance journalist. A late starter to fiction - and to other things besides - she has now written four novels. The Mistress's Revenge, The War of the Wives, and Someone Else's Wedding. The Broken was her first pyschological thriller, followed by Dying for Christmas. Her brand new hardback novel, First One Missing i ...more
“We'd met at university, where he was studying medicine and I was studying social awkwardness and a catastrophic inability to cope with deadlines.” 2 likes