Start by marking “The End is Now (The Apocalypse Triptych, #2)” as Want to Read:
The End is Now (The Apocalypse Triptych, #2)

The End is Now

(The Apocalypse Triptych #2)

Famine. Death. War. Pestilence. These are the harbingers of the biblical apocalypse, of the End of the World. In science fiction, the end is triggered by less figurative means: nuclear holocaust, biological warfare/pandemic, ecological disaster, or cosmological cataclysm.

But before any catastrophe, there are people who see it coming. During, there are heroes who fight agai
Published September 1st 2014 by Broad Reach Publishing (first published August 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The End is Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End is Now

Steve
I didn't like this one nearly as much as the first volume in the "Triptych", and I'm not sure why. Perhaps it has been too long since I read the first book. Perhaps it was that I lost the connection with the characters from the first group of stories (several of the stories in this volume didn't even have the same main characters). Perhaps I like the intensity of knowing that some great disaster/invasion/event is coming and how people react to that pressure. Nonetheless, I ended up skimming over ...more
David
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
I was so excited to finally have The End Is Now to read after reading The End is Nigh.  I was really happy that many of the authors have returned to continue their stories. While many of the stories pick up right where they left off while others are occurring further along their timeline.  If you are someone who loves tales of the apocalypse and horror I highly recommend reading this series.  There are many great writers with a wide range of end of the world scenarios.  The writing is top notch ...more
Carolyn F.
Anthology. I'm going to reach each author's work in this triptych. Starting with Volume 1, then Volume 2 and lastly Volume 3. I'm hoping that each story will give an extension of the beginning story.

3.85 stars average. A lot of really great stories in this anthology

1. Herd Immunity by Tananarive Due. Did she know what would happen? 5 stars

2. The Sixth Day at Deer Camp by Scott Sigler. The friends find out the survivors are much more than they thought. Good story. 4 stars.

3. Goodnight Stars by A
I'm Booked
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: apocalypse
The End is Now is the second collection of stories in the Apocalypse Triptych, and as each author further develops his or her world with each anthology, it really should be read after you have completed The End is Nigh.

Each story in the collection either takes place where the first one left off or introduces us to new characters in the author's world but they were all written so that the reader could easily recall the original storyline.

I enjoyed the collection but Ben H. Winters, Hugh Howey and
Shilpi Goel
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
"The End is Now" is the second book in the Apocalypse Triptych. I'd immensely enjoyed #1, "The End is Nigh" (review here), and I've been a huge fan of the connected short stories idea.

Some of my favorites in this collection (in the order of their appearance in the book) are:

Tananarive Due's "Herd Immunity" (prequel: "Removal Order" in #1): Though I enjoyed "Removal Order", I wouldn't have gushed with praise about it. But, "Herd Immunity" is another story entirely (ha!). The protagonist, Nayima,
Nathan Burgoine
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthologies
A while back, like many Sci-Fi readers, I learned about the whole sad puppy/rabid puppy thing and hit my daily quota of bigotry. However, I did find some good things that came out of that awful situation, including that two of the authors that said bigoted group promoted asked to withdraw from consideration, rather than be associated with said slate.

Now, I believe that the moral high road in this case might very well have cost said authors some cash – the Hugo award list was something people men
R J K Lee
A damn good follow-up. Great continuations of the stories in volume one. A lot of them I actually preferred to the first story, and enjoyed seeing where the fucked-up situations led, especially interesting when the characters changed due to the former protagonist dying or whatnot. In this volume everyone is obviously right in the thick of it with few if any options remaining, which makes for more intensity overall. I was going to list out my favorites in detail but for now I'll just mention a fe ...more
Katrina McBride
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
I really liked this, but it was really hard to keep track of the stories from the previous book. Half of the time I would be halfway through before I remembered the first thread and a few times I couldn't remember the first story at all. I like the idea a lot but I think there are too many stories for this to work.

That said, Hugh Howey's portion was far and away my favorite. Great little bonus to the Silo world.
Michelle Morrell
The second in the planned trilogy, this short story anthology follows each author's vision of before, during, and after an apocalypse. I didn't have any trouble remembering the prequel of each story and picking up where they left off. Set "during," most avoided the trap of transition and are good solid entries in their own rights.
Andrea
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I liked this even better than THE END IS NIGH. I think these books are especially great in audiobook form, though one of the narrators makes me laugh with his intensity.
Caitlin
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always like short story collections that have continuations in them. You get several snap shots of the story, instead of just one. Of course, these are overall fairly grim events, but that's to be expected from the topic. And there are some glimmers of hope here and there, people who might survive.
Donna
As with the first book in the triptych, The End is Nigh, this was an above-average collection of stories. With just a couple of exceptions they all continue the story arc from the first book. While this book can certainly be enjoyed as a stand alone, there is a lot of depth to be gained by reading them in order.

The following give my ratings for each story and a brief note for myself. The title in parentheses is the story from the first book that each one follows.

3.5 Herd Immunity (Removal Order
Emily
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well, I have to admit that I didn't like this one as much as its predecessor, The End is Nigh. Some of the writers I liked couldn't make it to this one, and were replaced with writers I'm not as fond of, and some of the followups weren't as good as the first story.

The authors new to this one were Daniel H. Wilson (shakes fist, damn robot nut) and Elizabeth Bear, who puts a fun human twist in her virus story. As I mentioned in my review of the first book, Tananarive Due's "Herd Immunity" was rea
Richard Eyres
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook_2015
The second part in the series. I think this one had more misses than the last, but about the same amount of hits.

Hugh Howey ruled this - an excellent story and I am really looking forward to the third part. Desirina Boskovich still has a good story, even it wasn't as good as the first part. Annie Bellet and Jake Kerr round off the hit return authours, while Elizabeth Bear rocked the new comers.

Sarah Langan failed for the second time, and Jonathan Maberry lost it big time mainly due to the narrat
Seamus

SUNSET HOLLOW by Jonathan Maberry
PENANCE by Jake Kerr
DANCING WITH BATGIRL IN THE LAND OF NOD by Will McIntosh
IN THE MOUNTAIN by Hugh Howey

Because of the above, I will of course buy The End Has Come on the day it is available!

The others, well
Jane
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: post-apocolyptic
This is the 2nd in a series, following The End is Nigh. About 85% of the stories are continuations of ones found in the earlier book, but it's not necessary to have read that one first. These are all short stories dealing with the apocalypse, or the immediate aftermath.

My favorite was by one of my favorite authors, Hugh Howey. It takes place during the same time/events as First Shift, when nanotechnology was used against the world and the chosen went into silos in the ground. Here, a group goes
Paul
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some great stories and continuations to the first collection. Robert Wasserman ,like the first collection ,for me us the standout but there are plenty of other great stories as well. The twist on the Wool universe fir Howey's story is brilliant and I look forward to seeing how many of the authors wrao up the trilogy. Only negative is the completely different order of the stories to the first collection. It would have been a bit easier to read in the same order.
Stephanie Manson
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving it five stars because most of the stories were well-written, well-paced, entertaining, and had great characters. There were, of course, a few I didn't enjoy quite as much.

The following stories were my favorites & really made this anthology stand out for me: Herd Immunity by Tannanarive Due; Goodnight Stars by Annie Bellet; Penance by Jake Kerr, In the Mountain by Hugh Howey, & Fruiting Bodies by Seanan McGuire.
Stephanie (Librarianish) Davidson
This is actually a review of the whole series. I group together the stories by whether they're continued throughout two or more of the books.

Pieces in All Three Anthologies:
Robin Wasserman: The Balm and the Wound; Dear John; in the Valley of the Shadow of the Promised Land
- apocalyptic cult and a con artist taking care of the kids, in the first story.
- survivor writing Dear John letters from a safe place under a mountain in the second
- kid who was dumped in the first story w/ the protagonist, a
David
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthologies
Imagine you have seventeen apocalyptic novellas. Now slice each into three short stories covering events before, during, and after the apocalypse. Then collect the segments into three chronologically related anthologies. Lastly, sprinkle in a dozen one-off tales to fill out page counts. This is what editors John Joseph Adams and Hugh Howey have done with their ambitious anthology trilogy: The End is Nigh (2014), The End is Now (2014), and The End Has Come (2015). This organizational gimmick has ...more
Gene
I read these 3 books (The End is Nigh, The End is Now, The End Has Come) simultaneously, aided by a spreadsheet (feel free to copy/use) that I created to keep track of the individual authors’ series. Overall, I found nearly all series to be at least minimally enjoyable.

Thanks to my spreadsheet, I was able to determine the average rating of the stories for each book:

The End is Nigh - 4.5, which I’ll round up to 5 Stars
The End is Now - 4.5, which I’ll round up to 5 Stars
The End Has Come - 4
Trevor
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I don't really know how to rate anthologies but I'm feeling generous. Plus, it managed to make its gimmick work and I think it deserves an extra star for that.

Most of the stories in this book are sequels to the stories in The End is Nigh, which I read two years ago. However, since it has been two years, I didn't really remember it very well. So as I read this book, I reread each corresponding story from End is Nigh before reading the sequel in this one. I recommend it as a method.

Anyhow, partia
BigJohn
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Book Two in the Apocalypse Triptych contains stories that are happening during their apocalypse. For reference, Book One (The End is Nigh) was chock full of stories that happen just before the apocalypse, and Book Three (The End Has Come) contains stories that happen after the apocalypse.

The best of these stories are those that continue the thread from Book One. Not all stories follow the same characters, but are recognizable by their apocalypse and references or relation to characters from Boo
Aaron Bellamy
Sep 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The End is Now picks up, in many of the stories, where The End is Nigh left off. Like its predecessor, the stories here are mostly entertaining and well done, with some standouts and some fails - like any anthology. The difference here, is that several stories just flat out don't stand alone. I felt this more prominently in this volume than in the first one. And I also felt, just overall, that the stories were weaker in this volume. Negativity aside, I still absolutely love this concept, and rea ...more
Justme
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I'm reading in order of 1st book, to get the stories together. The stories are in the same 'world' not necessarily of the same people exactly; if same MC: @. # in () is for writing talent, not for how much I didn't like the story. If there is a tryptich & 3rd story: %

avg ratings 4*

Tananarive Due - wretched 4(4.5)* @ %
Jamie For
Anissa
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: apocalyptic fiction & science fiction fans
Good followup to The End is Nigh. I most enjoyed the ones that were continuations of stories from book 1, even when they featured characters only spoken about in the first or completely new characters caught up in the same apocalyptic experience as those from the first. I was most connected to the story that kept with the same character from the first story (Herd Immunity by Tananarive Due, which may be my favorite). Recommended and I went right to the final in the series after this.

The Sixth Da
Blaine Moore
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
In the introduction, it's claimed that you don't need to read the first book in order to enjoy this one, and that is probably true...but having read the first book led to a much higher enjoyment factor for this second volume. It has been a while since I read the first volume, so it took me a little ways into each story to remember what came before for each individual story, but once I did it was great to connect the dots. I really enjoyed how there is a large variety of doomsday scenarios in thi ...more
Mike
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Another selection of stories, most of which continue the threads started in Th[book:The End Has Comee End is Nigh|18870640]. It's an anthology, and it's a sequel of sorts, but most of the stories work just fine on their own - you do get a better experience if you actually read the first one.

As it is with all anthologies, you will most likely love some stories, be 'meh' about others, and downright dislike some. I enjoyed the reading for the most part, and will be looking forward to the resolution
Erin Glaser
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
The second in a trilogy of Apocalyptic short stories, The End is Now covers the Apocalypse itself (as opposed to pre- and post-) in all of it's many possible fictional possibilities. Most of the stories from the first collection (The End is Nigh) are continued here, though many of them pick up years or decades after the first chapter and are from the perspective of a completely different character. Understandable given the scope of the project but often the change in tone or narration was so dif ...more
Devin
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Spoiler alert: the world ends. It ends a lot. Twenty times over. If you're hungry for a "happily ever after" this might not be the book for you.

Conceptually, this is the middle book of the Apocalypse Triptych. The one that focuses on the moment when it all goes to hell. As a concept, this works. Also, seventeen of the stories pick up from where they left off in the first book of this triptych. This also works extremely well. Not every story is great - as is the fate of any anthology. But many of

• After the End: Recent Apocalypses
  • Bones Are White
  • Robot Uprisings
  • The Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF
  • The Doomsday Chronicles (The Future Chronicles)
  • Supernatural Noir
  • The Ape's Wife and Other Stories
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2014: Women Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
  • Return to Danvar (Sand, #3)
  • Edge of Infinity
  • How Green This Land, How Blue This Sea (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3.2)
  • Sword & Laser Anthology
  • The Alien Chronicles (The Future Chronicles)
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2012 Edition
John Joseph Adams is the series editor of BEST AMERICAN SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY. He is also the bestselling editor of many other anthologies, such as ROBOT UPRISINGS, DEAD MAN'S HAND, BRAVE NEW WORLDS,WASTELANDS, and THE LIVING DEAD. Recent and forthcoming books include WHAT THE #@&% IS THAT?, OPERATION ARCANA, PRESS START TO PLAY, LOOSED UPON THE WORLD, and THE APOCALYPSE TRIPTYCH (cons ...more

The Apocalypse Triptych (3 books)
  • The End is Nigh (The Apocalypse Triptych, #1)
  • The End Has Come (The Apocalypse Triptych, #3)
“It is only when we have the courage to face things exactly as they are, without any self-deception or illusion, that a light will develop out of events, by which the path to success may be recognized.” 12 likes
“The lone attendant wasn’t paying any attention to the register; he just stood, mouth half open, holding the remote like maybe if he could change the channel he could change the future. The Moon was gone.” 8 likes