Start by marking “Travel Glasses (The Call to Search Everywhen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Travel Glasses (The Call to Search Everywhen, #1)

Travel Glasses

(The Call to Search Everywhen #1)

2016 IAN OUTSTANDING YOUNG ADULT WINNER
2016 NEW YORK BOOK FESTIVAL YOUNG ADULT RUNNER-UP
2016 READERS' FAVORITE HONORABLE MENTION IN YA MYSTERY

Calla Winston’s mobile devices sit in a corner of her room, covered in dust. Weeks ago, she shared photos and laughs with her best online friend. Now, after having felt the sting of betrayal, she prefers being hidden and friendless.
Published May 7th 2014 by Czidor Lore, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Travel Glasses, please sign up.
Chess Desalls Hi Lindy! Travel Glasses' cover changed around the time the print edition released. The original cover contained many of the story elements, but it…moreHi Lindy! Travel Glasses' cover changed around the time the print edition released. The original cover contained many of the story elements, but it wasn't connecting with readers the way I'd hoped. I felt the newer cover captured a better representation of the story.(less)

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Czidor Lore, LLC and NetGalley.)

This wasn’t a bad book, but it wasn’t for me.

Calla was an okay character, although she maybe shouldn’t have trusted Valcas quite as much as she did having only just met him. You’d also think that she’d maybe learn from that mistake also, but she really didn’t!

The storyline in this just lost me. We hoped around all over the place, once minute Calla was mad at Valc
Sophia Sardothien
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-review
Thank you netgalley for sending me this book in exchange of an honest review

This book is really unique and unlike anything I've read, after reading ruby red I'm extremely fascinated with the idea of time travelling. Though there is not much similarities between these two books but I found myself enjoying this book nevertheless.

I thought the plot was great though is not action packed but it is indeed suspenseful. The one problem I have is that the beginning is a bit unrealistic but after goin
Chess Desalls
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

Top reviewers have said great things about Travel Glasses !

"The concept is very imaginative and well-defined...In spite of the sci-fi fantasy theme, the notion of love and trust in Travel Glasses made quite an impression on me." — Readers' Favorite , Lit Amri

"This was a refreshing deviation from the plug any date into a time travel machine and push a button approach of time travel seen in so many other novels." — YA Love Magazine

"As a first installment in a new series this provides an intriguin
Alexandra
This story has some interesting and imaginative elements, but overall I just didn't click with it well.

I liked Calla well enough and appreciated very much the fact that although Valcas is good looking and demonstrates a strong infatuation with her she doesn't leap into a romance with him, and has reservations. In spite of the fact that she is attracted to him.

But there were a lot of things that I found strange and confusing. At the start we learn Calla has been terribly betrayed by a good friend
Lady
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Mysterious Stranger Out Of Nowhere

This series must be read in order. This is the first book.

Calla has become a hermit. She had a bad experience online and has completely disengaged with all things cyber. She also does not really get along with the kids her age that live in her tourist town. Bullies are something that she has always felt with( and tried to avoid). First by finishing school online from the earliest age possible and second by graduating as soon as possible. She has been out of sc
Rebecca McNutt
Travel Glasses is an exhilarating and wonderful fantasy novel, and not only has great characters and a vibrant writing style, but it also questions the digital age and technology in general, and whether it's better to be offline and free of obligations, or online and social. Or can you have both? What if someone was willing to show you a new way to live, where you can be in the future one minute and then the past the next? Is there a magic out there somewhere, waiting to be found?
description
Anyway, it's an
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic storyline

This book seemed very different the world building was fantastic . They were parts of the "science" that left me puzzled and I hope eventually as I read the other books to become more clear . I love the love story and I am left wondering how things will work out .
Kameron
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
(review request submitted by the author for an honest critique)

Whether you're young, old, or somewhere in between, you'll find yourself captivated by this time travel novel. Unlike cult favorites such as Doctor Who, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, and the Back the Future franchise, migrating through the eras has been simplified. Forget the phone booths, the DeLorean, and say hello to teleporting glasses.

Oh, the very notion of donning a pair is enough to ignite a reader's imagination. Where
J. Else
Mar 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
I received an advanced reader copy from NetGalley. (I added this to my "to read" shelf because I did not finish reading, and I do not want this to count towards my 2015 reading goal.)

The beginning was too improbable. I felt as if I was not let in on a secret or something. Seventeen-year-old Calla has shut herself off from technology after being betrayed by her friends, however, she trusts a complete stranger enough to go out with him on a date after a one-minute meeting? A white light knocks Cal
Courtney Drake
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the extreme pleasure of being a beta reader for this book, and I am leaving an honest review based on reading an advance review copy.

Travel Glasses is a captivating tale about a young woman, Calla, and her misadventures that she encounters once she meets the mysterious, yet intriguing Valcas and his unusual sunglasses that allow him to travel through time and space.

Throughout the story, we are introduced to many interesting characters, of which their personalities are excellently portrayed
Debra Lavoie
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chess Desalls’ debut novel; she’s on her way to having a great series.

Calla runs to sort out her life; little did she know soon she would be running as a time traveler. Valcas physically runs into Calla at her family’s lakeside cottage. He takes her to dinner to show how sorry he is; that dinner would change her life. Next thing she knows, she’s in a jet ski turned rowboat, and in the year eighteen-hundred-and-twelve.

Chess has written a page turner; from the first page I was gripped by her story
Connie
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Time travel, mystery, romance and plenty of adventure, this book captivated me with interesting characters and a plot that was unlike anything I had ever read before. From the first page when a shy girl named Calla, is knocked off her feet moments before the arrival of Valcas, I was intrigued and wanted to know what was going on. The mystery of who Valcas is, and why he chose Calla to run away with continues throughout the book as we learn more about both of them .

I had a hard time putting this
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun fantasy book

This book is written simply enough for younger readers to follow but there are enough plot twists and information just out of reach to keep a more mature reader on her toes. I look forward to the next book.
Keith R Orsini
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating look into what it means to fall in love at first sight! Einstein’s theories will get you wondering about the possibilities here. Can you fall in love with someone you despise by going back in time? Can you bring someone you love forward into the future you have made? Is it even a life worth living if you squirrel yourself away in some quiet little backwater where time has stopped completely? Who is real and who is simply a shadow of themselves?

This book will have you wondering about
p.
Nov 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, reviews
Cross-posted on Knizhnitsa

“Travel Glasses” enters the YA market with a fresh premise and the ambition to explore a topic that is still underrepresented in the genre. Time travel is not an easy subject to tackle, yet “Travel Glasses” manages to find an interesting and innovative approach to this classic sci-fi concept.

Chess Desalls’s debut novel is the story of Calla - a girl who lives a secluded and protected lif
Connie Huddleston
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
There are many different ways to time travel - really, just look at all the versions in various novels. Desalls uses a pair of sunglasses modified to allow the wearer to simply envision their destination. In this first installment of The Call to Search Everywhen series, a teenage girl, Calla, embarks on a journey of time travel after being kidnapped into time by Valcas. As they travel to various places and times on a journey of discovery, Calla meets characters and settings, so richly described ...more
Dory
A short novel with the thrilling beginning of a new series. The perfect cure for reading slumps, once you are two pages in, you will not be able to stop till you reach page 240. The plot of Travel Glasses was not one you could simply predict. It's full of never before seen twists which you will come to love.

There are very few characters which are included in more than once chapter by name. I liked this. Once a name is mentioned then you know instantly who they are since they are quite distinguis
Valerie Hemlin
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Time Travel
Chess Desalls is a breath of fresh air in the Young Adult genre ~ no zombies or vampires! Travel Glasses is just what it sounds like, a book about time travel where the characters travel through time and place using a special pair of glasses. What a fun, innovative idea, I thought when I bought the book. And boy was I right! Her characters are polished with just enough mystique and depth to capture and maintain our interest throughout the book.
The main character, Calla, is an insecure, yet de
Melanie Rodriguez
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A really great read! Perfect for those who enjoy novels about time travelers.

We are immediately introduced to the main character, Calla. She has become a hermit after experiencing a harsh cyber bullying; she then hates electronics altogether and avoids them as much as possible. Her mother left Calla with her uncle, Al, at Lake Winston, and she knows he gets upset with her for being anti-social. Calla's father is out of the picture and she knows absolutely nothing about him; Calla's mother was n
Kimberly Vanderbloom
I received an audio version of this book in exchange for a review.

I really did enjoy this book. I thought it was imagnative and extremely descriptive. It took me a long while to get through because I didn't have my usual time to listen. The narrator did a good job being distinct with her voice to know when she was reading dialogue from other characters. The author did a great job describing all of the jumping although it did get a little confusing towards the end. I was glad to find out that the
Keeley
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-finished
Okay, so Chess is a turd and I need the next book NOW. You can't do that to me! Valcas can't be all damaged but in the right way like that. UGH!
J.L. Dobias
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shelf-001
Travel Glasses (The Call to Search Everywhen Book 1)by Chess Desalls

For me this was a somewhat deceptive novel that managed to capture me within the offered sample even though it gave a slight difference of appearance than my usual fare.

When we first meet her, Calidora Winston lives in a resort community coming near the end of tourist season and she's contemplating back-to-school. She lives with her Uncle while her mother is off somewhere keeping busy. She is out for a run, because she has given
Lusie
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lost-2019
The world building was very good. I liked the timetraveling part. What I didn't like that Calla just went along with everything at first. I expected her to ask more questions and demand answers. Instead she just went happily along, until she decided it was better to run off. I also didn't like how she went from hate to loving someone. Many things went to easy and felt unrealistic. I did like the story and writing so kept reading. All in all this was not a bad read, but also not a great one.
Yvonne Carder
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm hooked!

This story had me hooked from the beginning. I can't wait to read the next book in the series to know what happens.
Jessica Lucci
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Travel Glasses is a whirl-wind time travel fairy tale. Like Beauty and the Beast merged with Aladdin, the story encapsulates vivid characters in a combination of warped eras.
N.N. Light
An intriguing, original time travel novel by Chess Desalls. There's something for everyone in this book: action, time travel, history, discovering your destiny, romance, adventure. Small issue with continuity and stalled plotline but overall, a great book. I look forward to reading more by this author.

My Rating: 4 stars
Melissa Hayden
This is a Young Adult read. It's done with no violence or overly intimate scenes. Good clean story with a young girl learning her way in the world and getting to experience friendships she never had.

I grew attached to Calla and green eyed Valcas. I'm looking forward to seeing them in the future books. I ended this book surprised that it ended. I want to know what comes of what she learns of her mother's job and her hearing with TSTA. Then what Valcas will say and if there is a connection here wi
Pam McCallister
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book
Dana Wood
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This has to be the strangest way anyone has ever time traveled. That being said the start was pretty confusing and weird. But then the story started to come together and even though I felt many of the characters lacked development, it ended up being a pretty inventive story.
Wendy
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Wendy by: Goodreads
In "Travel Glasses" the first book in the innovative and imaginative "The Call to Search Everywhen" series Chess Desalls blends the time travel of scify and the fantasy of exotic new worlds where time slows into a thrilling adventure that begins when Calla Winston a girl who hates technology because of the betrayal of an online friend is swept off her feet at a dock near her family's lakeside cottage. Dusting herself off she's entranced by a good-looking teenage boy wearing sun glasses,holding a ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Rainy Season
  • Don't Listen to Your Parents: And 20 Other Thoughts for Teens, Young Adults, and People Older Than Young Adults
  • Little League Softball Champs
  • Entropy (Entropy, #1)
  • Angeli (Angeli #1)
  • Brunch At Ruby's
  • The Bone Whisperer
  • The Carnelian Legacy (Carnelian, #1)
  • Boy Kills Man
  • The Seeker (Time Raiders #1)
  • Sink (Mermaid Royalty, #1)
  • Kerjäläinen ja jänis
  • The First Chronicles Of Prydain (The Chronicles of Prydain, #1-3)
  • No Hero
  • Day After (The 19th Year, #2)
  • The Sword and the Satchel (World of the Alfar, #1)
  • Desolace (Desolace, #1)
  • Demons of the Sun
Award-winning YA fiction

Sign up for newsletter updates to get giveaway and new release info.

The Call to Search Everywhen (3 books)
  • Insight Kindling (The Call to Search Everywhen, #2)
  • Time for the Lost (The Call to Search Everywhen, #3)
“I began to realize that I could go wherever and whenever I dreamed.” 8 likes
“Where the truth remains hidden from the outside, the inside imprisons the hidden.” 6 likes