Start by marking “Good Dog, Happy Baby: Preparing Your Dog for the Arrival of Your Child” as Want to Read:
Good Dog, Happy Baby: Preparing Your Dog for the Arrival of Your Child

Good Dog, Happy Baby: Preparing Your Dog for the Arrival of Your Child

For years dog trainer Michael Wombacher has worked with expecting dog owners to prevent problems between dogs and children. He has also unfortunately witnessed too many families forced to surrender their beloved family companions because they failed to prepare the dog for the arrival of a new family member. In Good Dog, Happy Baby, Wombacher lays out a twelve-step process ...more
Published May 5th 2015 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about Good Dog, Happy Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Dog, Happy Baby

Start your review of Good Dog, Happy Baby: Preparing Your Dog for the Arrival of Your Child
Cyndie Courtney
Dec 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Cyndie by: Goodreads
Shelves: non-fiction
As a veterinarian and expectant mother, I was appalled by this book. You are better off reading *nothing* than reading this one. Many of the recommendations are dangerous for the dog or for the family that is trying to create a safe environment. If I could,I would give it negative stars. A voracious reader, I often take my books to a used bookstore when I am done with them. Instead, I will be throwing this one away to make sure others do not read it.

Luckily, there's a much better option. Instea
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Full of good training tips on how to prepare your dog for the arrival of a new baby. The author bets repetitive at times (particularly when it comes to aggression issues, but there is a lot of good information regardless.
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hopefully this helps us get our dog ready for our first baby.
Misty Laderer
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative and Detailed

This book is detailed in the multiple processes for preparing your dog for a new baby. The methods are in line with other dog trainers I worked with over the years. I thought it was informative and well organized and structured. I like that there is both a positive and negative reinforcement for the dogs depending on what skill is being taught. I think it is a good resources for anyone expecting a new child, both in regards to what to think about, as well as how to prepar
Caitlinleah
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: babies, dogs, non-fiction
The other reviewer who titled it "how to be a dick to your dog" is right. However, I feel like I really needed this little book. It's small, and short, but the amount of time I need to put into training my little dog is overwhelmingly large. I think the book is pretty comprehensive of all the problems that could happen between dogs and babies, and there are solutions for each. The real commitment comes not with reading the book, which is fast and easy, but training the dog in the limited time yo ...more
Mallory DeVries
"How to be a Dick to Your Dog" "Good Dog, Happy Baby" is hard to rate upon first read. Some of the methods seem cruel. I do, however, need to work on the relationship that I have with my dog, so I will try some of these methods and rate later.
Minna
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Primarily very good advice on this topic. I wish more soon-to-be parents who own dogs would read this as I think most first-time parents in this situation are woefully under-prepared for dealing with it.
TAB
I stand by and don't stand by my choice to listen to vs. read parenting books (coincidentally, mostly when I walk the dog). I think it's good to listen because it makes you then focus on the really important bits and write them down to remember later or to plan somewhere else instead of just highlighting and forgetting. I don't stand by it because I procrastinate actually doing that writing down part.

This book really gave a me a lot of good things to think about as I prepared for the birth of my
Christine Kenney
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is sort of like trying to learn how to swim by reading a book, it might have worked better as a series of youtube videos or ideally working in person with a dog trainer. The topic was pertinent, and the book helped me identify a laundry list of my dogs' behaviors that would be more than annoying with the added multitasking of parenthood. We're already seeing progress in addressing some of the more straightforward ones. I felt like this book could have also used a few interviews with familie ...more
Mark Glaeser
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Has some really good advice but not everything needs to be followed in order to have a well behaving dog for your kids. Our dog lives on our couch and she still does with your 2 month old twins. We just taught her that she can’t be standing near the babies, she has to lay down and crawl if she really wants to be close. She still tries to lick them a lot but nothing crazy. Also, this is all coming from a dog who growled, shy’d, and even nibbled at kids that got close to her. She’s come so far and ...more
Anie
Jan 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
I really felt this book was common sense. Or maybe I just have a well behaved dog? I certainly did not learn anything new. I do agree with others though that some of the training techniques seem counter-intuitive. We do positive reinforcement training with our dog and he is a very well behaved dog. So parts of this book were common sense, and parts were a bit outlandish. If you really are having a lot of behavioral problems with your dog I would suggest checking out Zak George's videos and train ...more
helen
Jun 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
Michael Wombacher training style is not something I am used to. It is a little old fashioned and does not incorporate how to properly incorporate the baby and the dog to become a family. The book focuses on a type of "punishment" training to correct the dog's behavior, i.e. squirt bottle, air can spray on the face. This may work on certain type of dogs, but not on already skiddish, anxious, or nervous dogs.
Acorn Queen
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Despite one extremely critical review here, I can't say I found this book to be harmful in any way. It basically boils down to two important principles:
1. Train your dog
2. Have your dog associate the baby positively, not with sudden loss of love, attention and freedom

All in all the book offers helpful advice and strategies while keeping the dog's wellbeing and happiness as much in mind as safety and practicality.
Rose Lindgren
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a useful book to read to get ideas on how to prepare our dog for the arrival of our baby. My wife and I don't agree with some of Wombacher's approaches, but overall I think it provides good food for thought. I've started to implement some of the practices and already feel more confident with my ability to direct our dog and ensure his obedience in a way that will be very beneficial once there's a tiny human addition.
Amy Freeman
Mar 09, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While it does provide some useful advice for behavioral problems to look for in your dog, the exercises in this book are far more likely to cause your dog stress and confusion than to help prepare her for the arrival of a new family member. The “alpha” dynamics referenced in the book are outdated and unscientific.
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
has some good information but I read it and realized my dog didn't really have too many behaviors to fix. I felt like it didn't really give me as much info as I would have liked on bringing baby home with dogs in the house.
Katie
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this book to be really useful, and I will keep it around as a guide through the coming months. The author does a good job of laying out basic ground rules, and offering suggestions of exercises that will help to prepare the dog for the baby (and eventually toddler).
Lauren Fernandez
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall good advice for preparing your dog for a new baby
Kristine
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lots of good information.
Anna Chenoweth
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Some great info but it was sort of like one of those work meetings that could have been an email.
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, own, non-fiction
Some interesting things to consider, but it felt a lot like a guide for how to punish your dog because you chose to get pregnant.
Daniel Pereira
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: en-fisico, pets, parenting
Un libro técnico que ayuda con el entrenamiento y preparación de los perros del hogar para recibir a los nuevos bebés.
Tristy at New World Library
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, parenting
Endorsements:
“There’s excellent advice in this guide....This book will become a much loved workbook.”
— Fit Pregnancy

“Well written and edited, with excellent photographs and illustrations.”
— Dog World

“Michael Wombacher is a maestro of dog trainers. His clarity of thinking, sense of humor, and skills in communicating make dog training fun for both pet and pet lover.”
— Michael Tilson Thomas, music director of the San Francisco Symphony

“Consistently provides practical, gentle methods for molding d
Tamara
Sep 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book was horrendously awful- it almost had me in tears imagining treating my dog like he suggested. Take away his toys? Make him move all the time so he never gets comfy? Spray him with Bitter Apple for wanting to play? PRONG COLLARS? Terrible book- I want to get as physically far away from it as possible. Pack mentality dog crap.
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
for someone who has trained several different temperaments of dogs over the years, a lot of this book was common sense. I got a few tips but mostly it just reaffirmed that I need to use my dog sense and gut when introducing baby girl to my dogs, especially my rescue.
Angela
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first two chapters reference general training. The third chapter is what I found most useful. This referenced the integration process.
Elizabeth
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
practical advice and training tools
Trinity
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting
Much of this seemed like solid advice for helping your dog adjust to a baby in advance of its birth. Time will tell how useful that advice is.
Zoe
rated it did not like it
Apr 03, 2017
Ryan Wade
Jan 13, 2020

• The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer
  • Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
  • What to Expect When You're Expecting
  • On Becoming Baby Wise: Giving Your Infant the Gift of Nighttime Sleep
  • Secrets of the Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect, and Communicate with Your Baby
  • Cribsheet: A Data-Driven Guide to Better, More Relaxed Parenting, from Birth to Preschool
  • The Fifth Trimester: The Working Mom's Guide to Style, Sanity, and Big Success After Baby
  • Work. Pump. Repeat.: The New Mom's Survival Guide to Breastfeeding and Going Back to Work
  • Moms On Call Basic Baby Care: 0-6 Months (Expanded and Revised 2012) (Moms On Call Parenting Books)
  • Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting
  • The Fourth Trimester: A Postpartum Guide to Healing Your Body, Balancing Your Emotions, and Restoring Your Vitality
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
  • Brain Rules for Baby: How to Raise a Smart and Happy Child from Zero to Five
  • On Becoming Baby Wise II: Parenting Your Pre-Toddler Five to Fifteen Months
  • Unlikely Return: A Novel
  • Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom is Wrong - and What You Really Need to Know
  • Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child