Start by marking “A Wilcox and Griswold Mystery: The Case of the Missing Carrot Cake” as Want to Read:
A Wilcox and Griswold Mystery: The Case of the Missing Carrot Cake

A Wilcox and Griswold Mystery: The Case of the Missing Carrot Cake

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  169 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
When food goes missing on Ed's farm, Detectives Wilcox and Griswold do what it takes to track down the thieves. In this case, Miss Rabbit's carrot cake has disappeared. Has it been stolen? Or eaten? Or both? Who dunnit?

"Readers ready for chapter books will solve the crime and then be surprised by the twist at the end. Here's hoping for more hard-boiled detecting from Wilco
Published May 12th 2015 by Creston Books

To ask other readers questions about A Wilcox and Griswold Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wilcox and Griswold Mystery

Teresa
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite children's book series when my boys were little was NATE THE GREAT, and this little gem of a book is just as fun and funny. I made my 17 year old younger son read it with me and we both got such a giggle from it. Robin Newman is to be commended on writing a book so good that a child 10 years older than the target age can still appreciate it. I look forward to the upcoming books in the series!
:Donna Marie
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A WILCOX and GRISWOLD MYSTERY: THE CASE OF THE MISSING CARROT CAKE Honestly, can you ever really get enough of a delectable Detective Mystery? Well, here’s one that’s sure to whet your appetite! And watch out you dieters! I warn you, if you’re hungry, this will make you hungrier! With all the talk of scrumptious carrot cake and cheese donuts, you’ll be salivating for sweets, crashing the cupboard and raiding the refrigerator!

From the first page to the last this story is jam-packed and jelly-fi
April
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Wilcox and Griswold Mystery: The Case of the Missing Carrot Cake by Robin Newman is a delightful Children's/FarmAnimal/ Mystery.
Fast paced Mystery for Children age 4-8, grade Preschool(someone would have to read for them) to 3 grade. A delightful, cute Children's who didn't. A great Chapter Book tale for Young Readers, where they can learn to solve a crime.
These characters will charm Young Readers as they take a romp across the farm to find, what happened to the missing Carrot cake. Simply d
Nancy Schair
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun book to read in an early elementary classroom. Students can predict "whodunit"and together enjoy Robin Newman's clever use of language. When the book is completed, maybe the class can share a carrot cake made from the recipe at the end of the book.
Kirsti Call
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This rollicking read is filled with animal puns, a delicious mystery and clues for kids to figure it out!
Becky
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First sentence: Boys and girls, this case is about thieves on Ed's farm. The names have been changed to protect the good guys. Over 100 animals live on this farm. Most work. Some horse around. Others steal. That's where I come in. My name is Detective Wilcox. I'm a policemouse. The boss is Captain Griswold. We're MFIs, Missing Food Investigators. It's our job to investigate cases of missing food. Whatever the food, whatever the crime, we make the bad guys do the time. It was Monday morning. The ...more
Margie
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
To discover characters you've come to enjoy will be returning in another story is like celebrating your birthday more than one day a year. They are friends you can take with you anywhere, experiencing their adventures, their joys, their tears and their fears. Over time, books in a series allow you to watch characters grow.

While reading about these fictional pals we can see little pieces of ourselves in them. Sometimes we notice something before they do, willing them to share in this realization
Cathy Mealey
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Here is the first title in a fresh new series that really takes the cake!

A perfect bridge from early readers to beginning chapter books, A Wilcox and Griswold Mystery: The Case of the Missing Carrot Cake is jam-packed with funny illustrations and clever word play.

Two tough, fedora-sporting mice detectives are called in to investigate the shocking theft of Miss Rabbit’s tempting cream-cheese frosted dessert. After taking copious notes and photographing the crime scene, they skillfully interrogate
Darlene
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Life on Ed’s farm is busy and productive. Mostly. Except when there a food thief on the loose. That’s when mouse investigators Detective Wilcox and Captain Griswold spring into action. They’re MFI’s – Missing Food Investigators. They get their first call from Ms. Rabbit about her stolen carrot cake. With over 100 animals on the farm, the case is definitely going to be a “hard nut to crack”. The food references add another dimension of fun to this clever story.
The Dragnet style duo will have you
I'd So Rather Be Reading {Nat}
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
The Case of the Missing Carrot Cake has the unique distinction of being the very fist chapter book I've read to Kaitlyn. I was so impressed at how this book captured and held her attention! We read it through in one sitting (it took over 30 minutes) and she immediately asked to read it again.

The protagonists are two mice who are detectives for a farm. They investigate missing food. Isn't that such a cute premise? Kaitlyn loved the premise and so did I. The prose was easy for a four year old to f
Barbara
Feb 11, 2015 rated it liked it
The entire book in this new series for early readers is packaged quite nicely with a case file report on the end papers and the appearance of a crumpled paper bag on which part of the book is written. The story is told from the point of view of Detective Wilcox, a Missing Food Investigator, who tries to solve the case of a missing carrot cake while working with his superior, Captain Griswold. It's all great fun as the two follow various leads and interview many animal suspects. I look forward to ...more
Michele Knott
I loved this tongue - in - cheek transitional chapter book. Savvy kids are going to catch the little lines -
(story takes place on a farm) "Traffic was light - only a couple of chickens crossing the road." pg. 2

"I was chasing a field mouse."
"Do you have any witnesses?" If someone had seen her, she'd have an alibi.
"There was one, but I ate him." pg 10

(talking to the pig about his arrests) "Seems like you've spent some time in the pen."

All of these made me chuckle :)

It looks like this is set up to
Karen
Apr 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Enjoyable story line. When reading a book I consider the recommended audience. The book is hampered by the design. I am unsure as to the age range suggested. Publisher calls for ages 4-8. The text is significant on each page. The language and inferences will not be caught by the younger reader. This seems to fall somewhere before Geronimo Stilton series. From a public library standpoint the size of the book beckons an early reader location however, the text and storyline fit best as a beginning ...more
Mary
May 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Beginning chapter book with some challenging vocabulary (essential, investigation, surveillance, alibi). Includes many idioms: cool as a cucumber, packed like sardines, inside job, hard nut to crack, slower than molasses...). Good for teaching the elements of mystery genre, but possibly assumes too much vocabulary and knowledge of detective show terminology.
Tara Strosnider
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a cure detective book an adorable early reader meet detective Wilcox and captain griswold

Inside jokes and it's perfect for junior detectives to sharpen their reading and reasoning skills. Kids are sure to come back for seconds this is so freaking funny and adorable
Bethe
Easy to read, and to solve, beginning chapter book mystery. Filled with funny, tongue in cheek, phrases like cheese donuts for the mice policemen. Pg 17: "seems you spent some time in the pen" when they are perusing the pig's rap sheet.
Mary
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-3rd-grade
I'm sure there are some who will think of this book as easy -- they would the people who will miss the sly sense of humor that underlies virtually every page of this book. It takes a sophisticated reader to truly get this book.
Amy Lafleur
Who took Miss Rabbit's missing carrot cake? Detectives Wilcox and Griswold are on the case around the farm to find the culprit. Great book for kids who are starting to read chapter books and like their mysteries light and with a side of humor and animal characters.
Lynn Grundset
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved the format of the book as it appealed to my longtime love of crime stories and TV shows. The illustrations are also adorable from cover-to-cover.
Jill
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love the humor of this "who dunnit"! MFI's (Missing Food Investigators)...seriously?!
Karen Arendt
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great mystery with lots of voice! Fun to read aloud, too!
Judy
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books
This will be a great book to use to introduce the mystery genre to my 1st and 2nd graders. A cute story with likable characters.
Yapha
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute beginning chapter book mystery. I loved the puns.
Lynne Marie
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great characters, fun, mystery and cake, all rolled into one. LOVE it!
Carol Adler
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read-aloud with lots of humor and great characters. A favorite of mine and my kids (5 and 7). I hope to see sequels.
Oona
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
What an adorable early chapter book! This is ideal for read-aloud, but definitely make time to read it twice. The second time readers will notice "breadcrumbs" left by the author that help them solve the crime. Use this as a mentor text for teaching use of idioms. In addition, each chapter introduces a different witness' point of view. A class could write its very own mystery, with small groups writing a unique point of view. Definitely a series I'd recommend to any second or third grade teacher ...more
Pam Jones-Nill
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful format for early readers! The main characters Wilcox and Griswold and sleuths serious about getting to the bottom the case.
Amy
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great easy chapter book and a funny mystery story!
Tammy
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this was so cute!! my daughter loved it!!
Kaye
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beginning readers chapter book. A mouse detective solves the case of some missing food. Clever word play made it very entertaining.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Piper Green and the Fairy Tree (Piper Green, #1)
  • Dory and the Real True Friend
  • Leroy Ninker Saddles Up (Tales from Deckawoo Drive, #1)
  • The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)
  • Lulu's Mysterious Mission
  • Space Taxi: Archie Takes Flight
  • Bear and Duck
  • I Wanna New Room
  • Rescue on the Oregon Trail (Ranger in Time, #1)
  • Anna, Banana, and the Friendship Split (Anna, Banana, #1)
  • The Case of the Library Monster (The Buddy Files, #5)
  • Ballet Cat The Totally Secret Secret (Ballet Cat, #1)
  • Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny (Bunjitsu Bunny #1)
  • Ling & Ting Share a Birthday (Ling & Ting, #2)
  • Pearl and Wagner: One Funny Day
  • Big Bad Detective Agency
  • A Letter for Leo
  • Detective Gordon: The First Case
Raised in New York and Paris, Robin's been a practicing attorney and legal editor, but she now prefers to write about witches, mice, pigs and peacocks. She lives in New York with her husband, son, goldfish, and two spoiled English Cocker Spaniels.
More about Robin Newman

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Mind's Eye (Inspector Van Veeteren #1)
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • What If
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
  • The Secret Mother