Start by marking “How to Walk (Mindfulness Essentials, #4)” as Want to Read:
How to Walk (Mindfulness Essentials, #4)

How to Walk (Mindfulness Essentials #4)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  642 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
How to Walk is the fourth title in Parallax’s popular Mindfulness Essentials Series of how-to titles by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh, introducing beginners and reminding seasoned practitioners of the essentials of mindfulness practice. Slow, concentrated walking while focusing on in- and out-breaths allows for a unique opportunity to be in the present. There is no need to ar ...more
Published April 7th 2015 by Parallax Press

To ask other readers questions about How to Walk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Walk

Kelli
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
When you walk, arrive with every step. That is walking meditation. There's nothing else to it.

Hmmm. There may be nothing else to it but there is much more to say about it. This charming little book gives short bursts of insight and encouragement, guiding the reader to be present and mindful while walking. Let's face it, most of us (if we are lucky) walk all day long. This book challenges us to be present in the act of walking rather than rushing around, our minds on where we headed, what just ha
Phoebe
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fictiongems
I might not ever consider a set of stairs the same way. Also, this book somehow conveyed the feeling of Thích Nhất Hạnh speaking directly to me, and caring specifically about me. How does he do that?

The simple, single-color drawings added just the right touch.

Looking forward to reading the rest of the little books in this series of instruction and gentle ruminations on mindfulness practice.
Donna Orazio
A short meditation on walking -- or rather, making a walk a meditation.
Being mindful, being present, practicing meditations -- all while walking.

A short book but one that will be read again, in smaller pieces. A reflection for a short walk.
Slowing down and being present. Finding calm in a chaotic world .... enough said!

"Allow yourself to sink deeply into the here and the now, because life is available only in the present moment. This alone is enough to calm the storm."
Lisa
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism, non-fiction
Sort of a compilation of Thich Nhat Hanh's "best of" re: walking. Short and easily digestible, these would make great daily reminders if read one at a time and savored. That's likely Thay's preferred method and likely more effective than reading it all the way through like I did. It's hard not to; it's a very short book. The illustrations are a lovely addition to the text.
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Yes, you have read that before in one of his books somewhere and you have heard Thich on Youtube talk about this things in his distinctive charming way. You still need this book to bring you back to yourself, to help remind you, to make you stop and examine yourself and make a U turn and stop. The first thing you need to do is to lift your foot. Breathe in. Put your foot down in front of you, first your heel and then your toes. Breathe out. Feel your foot solid on the Earth. You have already arr ...more
Nayeli
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
I really like these short books, from Hanh's mindfulness essentials series. This one was the most difficult "How to" of them... living in a big busy city it's complicated to do a walking mediation. Still, the short reflections were refreshing and I did manage to try a short walking mediation in a park following the instructions at the end of the book. It will probably take a lot of practice to be able to do it anywhere other than an almost empty park.
Trey Nowell
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Keep in the present moment, nothing is more important. I think Hanh's readings can really help people adjust their lives to a state of more happiness and contentment. We are always dwelling in the past or future, never in the present, not appreciating a walk, washing the dishes, etc. This book helps remind us we are in the present.
Melissa
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Thích Nhât Hhan! Walking like breathing is something we do with thinking about or being aware of doing it. In this book we learn how focusing, slowing down, and becoming aware of walking can be used for meditation and helps us to resee things from a new perspective. Filled with the wisdom found in all Thích Nhât Hahn's books this is a great read to enjoy.
Lalagè
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thich Nhat Hanh geeft aanwijzingen hoe je kunt beginnen met aandachtig lopen, door niet te snel te gaan en je te richten op je lichaam: voel hoe je voeten de grond raken, merk op hoe je ademt.

Clark Knowles
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this little book. You have already arrived.
lavinia
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: growth
I had a really long opinion about this but somehow managed to delete it before saving... I'll come back to this.
Melinda
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Enjoyable read for those looking for a reminder on basic mediation concepts.
Jason Crane
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Some lovely ideas about walking mindfully. I have to admit that I am less attracted to the Smiley Zen of Thich Nhat Hanh than I used to be, but there is still something to learn from his approach.
Margaret
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Easy read. Good thoughts. Simplicity. Will read more of his work
Hadown
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first encountered the practice of walking meditation one year ago during my first retreat ever in the tradition of Plum Village in Stourbridge. It was when brother Pháp Lai was guiding the walk and he began with the metaphor of the mind as our beloved puppy that can be very excited and energetic at times and runs here and there but when we are aware of that, we are just gonna be gentle bringing the dog back to us and saying ‘good boy, good boy’. And it was on a very sunny and startling blue sk ...more
Vedis Ronald
Mar 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Like the other tiny books in this series, this one is full of aphorisms, anecdotes, and repetitious meanderings. And apparently lies, like: "A child is a bell of mindfulness" - really? It could easily have been summarized by a single paragraph of intentional thought.

I like Thich Nhat Hanh, but this series is irksome. It's an expensive, well-packaged notebook of everything that passed through his mind, at any given point, in no order, and with a lot of assumptive pseudoscience thrown in for good
Farnoosh Brock
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick read on slow walking. How's that for irony? First book I read by Thich Nhat Hanh. It is written with simple soothing language and it's an easy read with an important message: how you walk can change your state of mind and well-being. Walking meditation was not a new idea to me. What I love about this short ebook is how the author makes it so simple, so accessible, and so creative that you may actually be inspired to do what he says as you read, to go outside and walk this way: in sync with ...more
Shannon Muldowney
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
"We may think of joy as something that happens spontaneously. Few people realize that it needs to be cultivated and practiced in order to grow. Mindfulness is the continuous practice of deeply touching every moment of daily life. To be mindful is to be truly present with your body and your mind, to bring harmony to your intentions and actions, and to be in harmony with those around you. We don't need to make separate time for this outside of our daily activities. We can practice mindfulness in e ...more
Tanya b
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my first try at Thich Nhat Hanh's series of meditation books and I really enjoyed it. I kept it at my desk at work to help remind me to be mindful about breaks and my walking. Lord knows I need all the help I can get to stay present and after multiple audio attempts, this little book really helped me. It's simplicity on topics and the walking meditations in the back of the book worked for me though I'm not sure why.

I have arrived.

I am free.
In t
Adeeb
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For what it’s worth, I really enjoyed reading this book. It’s a quick read and is a reminder to help you just sit around, think, and practice a peace of mind.

Recently, I’ve been walking a lot and it is quite amazing to read about walking meditation. I certainly enjoy my walks and they help me relax. I just wonder how efficiently I will be able to practice this while walking in the midst of everyday busy life.
Noah Oanh
Love the way he mentioned about our foot will massage the Earth whenever we start walking. It is really lovely to say that. Besides it, this little book will draw you to 120 pages of mindfulness walk or how to find peace on your mind whenever you walk.

Recommend it for a lovely day lying down in the park.
Kmritsa
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Frank
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While I blew through the second half of this, that's definitely not the way to go about reading it. The book is short one or two page chapters and ideally one would read it as a sort of devotional, reading perhaps a page a day.
Ana
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short and sweet. Tried walking meditation before and it was not easy as I am often on the go. Enjoyed the information shared in this book and look forward to trying some new walking meditations using the information learned.
Serena Long ﺕ
I just love to walk. Walk not in order to arrive, but just for the joy of walking. Thank you so much Thay for this wonderful meditation technique. Remember, with every step you make, you can create peace within yourself and give joy to other people. Let's walk leisurely and peacefully.
Justin
Jan 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'm not really into the philosophy of this book. But, the lesson of being intentional (mindful) of the things you do in life is a good lesson to learn, no matter what philosophical tradition you come from.
Patricia
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, how-to, non-fiction
I studied walking meditation in two different classes in college, but I liked this book's simple approach to it. The illustrations were nice too.
Tara
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a short, pleasant read that serves as great reminder to be mindful with each step that you take, and that you can always make walking a meditation.
Anna
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
who knew that walking could bring world peace!
Val Leonard
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simple but good.
  • Vatican Council II: Constitutions, Decrees, Declarations (The Basic Sixteen Documents)
  • الله غير ما نتصوّره
  • Providence of a Sparrow: Lessons from a Life Gone to the Birds
  • Power of the Spoken Word
  • Slavery and Freedom
  • Miracles Of Your Mind
  • Writing to Heal: A Guided Journal for Recovering from Trauma & Emotional Upheaval
  • Charlotte and the Quiet Place
More about Thich Nhat Hanh

Mindfulness Essentials (6 books)
  • How to Sit (Mindfulness Essentials, #1)
  • How to Eat (Mindfulness Essentials, #2)
  • How to Love (Mindfulness Essentials, #3)
  • How to Relax (Mindfulness Essentials, #5)
  • How to Fight

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $4.99 $1.49
    $4.99 $1.99
  • I Suck at Girls
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems
    $11.99 $3.99
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“When you walk, arrive with every step. That is walking meditation. There’s nothing else to it.” 1 likes
“You have feet, and if you don’t make use of them it’s a loss and a waste. Someone is telling you now so that in the future you cannot say: “No one told me that it was important to enjoy using my feet.” 0 likes