Start by marking “The Mindful Athlete: Secrets to Pure Performance” as Want to Read:
The Mindful Athlete: Secrets to Pure Performance

The Mindful Athlete: Secrets to Pure Performance

Michael Jordan and countless other NBA stars credit George Mumford with transforming their game. A widely respected public speaker and coach, Mumford shares his story and strategies in The Mindful Athlete. His proven techniques transform the performance of anyone with a goal, be they an Olympian, weekend warrior, executive, hacker, or artist.

A basketball player at the Univ
Published May 12th 2015 by Parallax Press (first published April 20th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Mindful Athlete, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mindful Athlete

Leonidas
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Full Review: The Mindful Athlete: Secrets To Pure Performance Review

Alright, so you probably already know that meditation is good for you, and you sometimes say ‘I should probably do it’, but you don’t get around to it.

Whatever your excuses, you NEED to meditate. All of the science that has come out showing the benefits of meditation, just can’t be procrastinated on anymore.

With the Mindful Athlete, we learn how the TOP-level championship players in various sports use meditation to overcome str
Bookworm
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quite boring. I don't quite remember what drew me to the book other than the the connection to mindfulness. While I'm not an athlete at all (I work out regularly and that's it), the book sounded intriguing if even an amateur like myself might gain some benefit. I like meditating after finishing my workouts so it seemed like this could be a good book.

There isn't much here that I thought was new. As other reviews say, there are a lot of stories. His personal life wasn't all that interesting, desp
Heather
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I found this to be an amazingly insightful book. While I'm firmly in the Christian faith mindset and this book is largely focused on a Buddhist faith, I found the entire thing easy to relate to and there were many takeaways that I know I will be using going forward.
Daniel Smith
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The mindful athlete, by George Mumford, is a guide to mindfulness and how being mindful can help you as an individual and an athlete. He had to overcome addiction and substance abuse in his life, and he used mindfulness and meditation to get past that addiction He has worked with championship athletes, including Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and Reggie Jackson. He uses a simple structure to his practice that involves five principles that help build mindfulness, which can lead to p ...more
Victor Colella
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty good, but it had a bit of a habit of making something that could be said in 100 words last 1 chapter. Lost a bit of interest towards the end.
Steve
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
A lot of citing other sources with no real insight into sports at all
Naessens
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read this book because it is very popular among athletes especially NBA players. The author, George Mumford, worked with several professional players, but is most prestigious association was the one with famous coach Phil Jackson.
In the first part, Mumford described his early life which lead him to drug addiction and afterwards meditation when he started to recover. I wish he had stopped giving examples of his life at this point in the book, because I felt the further references were disgressi
Marcia Chocinsky
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book that covers all things concerned with finding your way to the “Zone” or “Mindfulness.” The author is very involved with athletes and teams as a spiritual advisor including Michael Jordan and his NBA winning Bulls, Kobe Bryant and many others. I am engaged in a sport as a hobby since I retired, and want to improve my performance. Amazingly I did know and experience some of what is discussed in the book in my own life. The “watcher” has been with me since I was very young ...more
Tara Wright
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The mindful athlete combines personal experience with research-based expertise to teach the reader mindfulness techniques applicable to athletics. George Mumford provides a foundation for the need for focusing and relaxation techniques on and off the bench, then offers examples of how all-star athletes utilize these techniques to combat common sports related struggles.

George Mumford's candor about his own personal struggles after an injury lead him down a dark path is refreshing and relatable t
Henry Lee
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is one which explains many concepts on and off the court, field, ice rink, or any other sports venue. I was quite impressed with the amount of explanation and simplification in this book which really allowed me to understand each topic described in this book.

This book also contained some effective exercises and tips to develop a critical mindset, but that was still something that could be improved on. I think you could've discussed more habits in order to really accelerate our lifestyl
Rick Seubers
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book by the man who helped Phil Jackson to give the Chicago Bulls and LA Lakers their mental strength during their championship runs. George Mumford makes use of examples and a few (simple) exercises to make Zen-practise easy and accessible for everyone. This book is by no means only useful for athletes, but can be a live changer for everyone. There might be better books about mindfulness, but I definitely recommend this book for starters, due to the simplicity and practical examp ...more
Cody Steele
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Solid read. Several cliches, and overused quotes but I guess they keep showing up in books for a reason.

His life story is actually nothing short of incredible even though he doesn't highlight it as much. The dude has endured some crazy times in his life and has uniquely drawn from those experiences to help others reach their max potential.

Crushed this book in two sittings because it was so engaging.

Blake Knudsen
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Sadly, I have to hang this book up for now because leaving for college won't allow me to continue reading it through my library. But overall, the book is neat and has a different perspective to getting in "The Zone". There were some aspects to it that I didn't really care for like the Zen Buddhism crap. Now that isn't that bad, but I wish it was explained in a more simplistic manner, not some complicated process. But can't judge until I finish the book.
Adam Bridgeo
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Each chapter has a different skill each athlete as well as person should use to succeed in what they are doing. Also between each chapter George Mumford (the author) included quotes said by high end athletes, professors,priest. I found a couple of quotes to be quite motivating. For example "Life is available only in the present moment."(28) In conclusion I really liked the message and the structure of the book.
Cliff Chew
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
An easy book to read, this book covers a lot of concepts towards mindfulness and sport performance. For someone who is interested in both topics, this is a refreshing book that combines both topics into one. One thing that I felt was lacking in this book was any practice advice that one can bring away to their own lives. Conceptually, you will learn why being mindful helps with creating a better life. But how to be truly mindful? You need other books or experiences for that.
Amanda Setasha Hall
I've studied Buddhism and know it's mentioned a lot in this book, and I thought I could relate, but I couldn't.
This jumps around far too much and covers almost every sport at least twice, jumping around repeatedly. It's a jumbled mess that feels more like a personal autobiography than a "self help" type book.

I know this works for a lot of people, but it didn't work for me.
Renee Goodwin
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is not only for athletes, but for anyone who has a job to do and a need to be productive in it--which would be everybody! It is a very helpful introduction to meditation and its benefits, written in plain language.
Nathan
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Mumford covers lots of basic meditation content with stories of coaching famous athletes. This book would be good for athletes who are interested in meditation. My favorite part, as someone who has already been involved in meditation, was his bio/backstory and how he got into meditation.

Michelle Perkins
This book is a game changer!!

Powerful and extremely insightful! You will not train the same way after reading this book. I was shocked at all the buried issues and hindrances that were lurking in my mind while performing. I wish I could have read this years ago!
Mirek Jasinski
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
The introduction about Mumford's personal history was perhaps a bit long-winded, but the rest of the book spoke to me. Breathing, focus, meditation and the flow. I wish I had read a book like this some 45 years ago.
David Cusack
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book. So many great things to think about reflex on and apply when you are trying to remain in the moment.

I do wish it had more exercises to practice. Nevertheless I got a lot out of this book.
ROBERT T JONES IV
Good read on mindfulness and sports

Mumford writes an interesting and accessible work on mindfulness meditation and its place in athletics. Although a little dated, it’s a good starting point for anyone interested in improving both athletic performance and stress tolerance.
Alisha
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Any athlete should read.
Jack Oughton
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A *lot* of these sports psychology books are bollocks; all basically going over the same old ground and about as much fun as a colostomy. This book is enjoyable and quite different - recommended.
Eduardo Longoria
Aug 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Not what I expected, disappointed
Peter Galamaga
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great intro book on the life-changing simplicity of meditation. Mumford works with elite athletes and professionals of all stripes.
Algirdas Purkenas
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
An okay read, reminds you of the importance on staying in the present moment. Really helped me in the long training sessions where I had lots of thoughts coming into my head.
Mike
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking towards mindfulness and how to practice it daily
Very solid read on mindfulness, daily practices, sports and life balance. A bit long in some sections and repetitive in others but otherwise pleasant book with some great take-aways.
Shelley
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great introduction to mindfulness that will be more accessible to athletes than some other texts.
Elbee
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super interesting and helped me learn to breathe consciously to relax
« previous 1 3 next »

• Runner's World Running on Air: A Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven Breathing Technique for Runners
  • The Spiritual Doorway in the Brain: A Neurologist's Search for the God Experience
  • Elite Minds: Creating the Competitive Advantage
  • The Champion's Mind: How Great Athletes Think, Train, and Thrive
  • Mindfulness in Action: Making Friends with Yourself through Meditation and Everyday Awareness
  • 10-Minute Toughness: The Mental Training Program for Winning Before the Game Begins
  • Go Wild: Free Your Body and Mind from the Afflictions of Civilization
  • Essence of the Dhammapada: The Buddha's Call to Nirvana
  • How Healing Works: Get Well and Stay Well Using Your Hidden Power to Heal
  • The Metabolic Approach to Cancer: Integrating Deep Nutrition, the Ketogenic Diet, and Nontoxic Bio-Individualized Therapies
  • Disconnect: The Truth about Cell Phone Radiation, What the Industry   has Done to Hide It, and How to Protect Your Family
  • Supernormal: Science, Yoga and the Evidence for Extraordinary Psychic Abilities
  • Part-Time Paleo: How to Go Paleo Without Going Crazy
  • Living the Good Long Life: A Practical Guide to Caring for Yourself and Others
  • Easy Strength
  • Choose to Matter: Being Courageously and Fabulously YOU
  • Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution
  • The 10-Day Belly Slimdown: Lose Your Belly, Heal Your Gut, Enjoy a Lighter, Younger You
“We can either make ourselves miserable,” he says, “or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” 3 likes
“Monkey mind is actually a Buddhist term that refers to a mind that is restless, agitated, confused, or that is hard to control.” 1 likes