Start by marking “The Mindful Athlete: Secrets to Pure Performance” as Want to Read:
The Mindful Athlete: Secrets to Pure Performance

The Mindful Athlete: Secrets to Pure Performance

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  600 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Michael Jordan and countless other NBA stars credit George Mumford with transforming their game. A widely respected public speaker and coach, Mumford shares his story and strategies in The Mindful Athlete. His proven techniques transform the performance of anyone with a goal, be they an Olympian, weekend warrior, executive, hacker, or artist.

A basketball player at the Univ
Published May 12th 2015 by Parallax Press (first published April 20th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Mindful Athlete, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mindful Athlete

Leonidas Kaplan
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Full Review: The Mindful Athlete: Secrets To Pure Performance Review

Alright, so you probably already know that meditation is good for you, and you sometimes say ‘I should probably do it’, but you don’t get around to it.

Whatever your excuses, you NEED to meditate. All of the science that has come out showing the benefits of meditation, just can’t be procrastinated on anymore.

With the Mindful Athlete, we learn how the TOP-level championship players in various sports use meditation to overcome str
Heather
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I found this to be an amazingly insightful book. While I'm firmly in the Christian faith mindset and this book is largely focused on a Buddhist faith, I found the entire thing easy to relate to and there were many takeaways that I know I will be using going forward.
Bookworm
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quite boring. I don't quite remember what drew me to the book other than the the connection to mindfulness. While I'm not an athlete at all (I work out regularly and that's it), the book sounded intriguing if even an amateur like myself might gain some benefit. I like meditating after finishing my workouts so it seemed like this could be a good book.

There isn't much here that I thought was new. As other reviews say, there are a lot of stories. His personal life wasn't all that interesting, desp
Daniel Smith
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The mindful athlete, by George Mumford, is a guide to mindfulness and how being mindful can help you as an individual and an athlete. He had to overcome addiction and substance abuse in his life, and he used mindfulness and meditation to get past that addiction He has worked with championship athletes, including Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and Reggie Jackson. He uses a simple structure to his practice that involves five principles that help build mindfulness, which can lead to p ...more
Naessens
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read this book because it is very popular among athletes especially NBA players. The author, George Mumford, worked with several professional players, but is most prestigious association was the one with famous coach Phil Jackson.
In the first part, Mumford described his early life which lead him to drug addiction and afterwards meditation when he started to recover. I wish he had stopped giving examples of his life at this point in the book, because I felt the further references were disgressi
Marcia Chocinsky
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book that covers all things concerned with finding your way to the “Zone” or “Mindfulness.” The author is very involved with athletes and teams as a spiritual advisor including Michael Jordan and his NBA winning Bulls, Kobe Bryant and many others. I am engaged in a sport as a hobby since I retired, and want to improve my performance. Amazingly I did know and experience some of what is discussed in the book in my own life. The “watcher” has been with me since I was very young ...more
Henry Lee
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is one which explains many concepts on and off the court, field, ice rink, or any other sports venue. I was quite impressed with the amount of explanation and simplification in this book which really allowed me to understand each topic described in this book.

This book also contained some effective exercises and tips to develop a critical mindset, but that was still something that could be improved on. I think you could've discussed more habits in order to really accelerate our lifestyl
Rick Seubers
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book by the man who helped Phil Jackson to give the Chicago Bulls and LA Lakers their mental strength during their championship runs. George Mumford makes use of examples and a few (simple) exercises to make Zen-practise easy and accessible for everyone. This book is by no means only useful for athletes, but can be a live changer for everyone. There might be better books about mindfulness, but I definitely recommend this book for starters, due to the simplicity and practical examp ...more
Blake Knudsen
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Sadly, I have to hang this book up for now because leaving for college won't allow me to continue reading it through my library. But overall, the book is neat and has a different perspective to getting in "The Zone". There were some aspects to it that I didn't really care for like the Zen Buddhism crap. Now that isn't that bad, but I wish it was explained in a more simplistic manner, not some complicated process. But can't judge until I finish the book.
Cody Steele
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Solid read. Several cliches, and overused quotes but I guess they keep showing up in books for a reason.

His life story is actually nothing short of incredible even though he doesn't highlight it as much. The dude has endured some crazy times in his life and has uniquely drawn from those experiences to help others reach their max potential.

Crushed this book in two sittings because it was so engaging.

ROBERT T JONES IV
Good read on mindfulness and sports

Mumford writes an interesting and accessible work on mindfulness meditation and its place in athletics. Although a little dated, it’s a good starting point for anyone interested in improving both athletic performance and stress tolerance.
Eduardo Longoria
Aug 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Not what I expected, disappointed
Mike
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking towards mindfulness and how to practice it daily
Very solid read on mindfulness, daily practices, sports and life balance. A bit long in some sections and repetitive in others but otherwise pleasant book with some great take-aways.
Shelley
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great introduction to mindfulness that will be more accessible to athletes than some other texts.
Jordan.A
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome and intriguing book on the practice of mindfulness!
Peter Galamaga
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great intro book on the life-changing simplicity of meditation. Mumford works with elite athletes and professionals of all stripes.
Todd McQueen
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Heard George speak and he was excellent. Very thought provoking. Enjoyed the book. Fast and easy read with thoughtful perspectives and observations.
Victor Colella
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty good, but it had a bit of a habit of making something that could be said in 100 words last 1 chapter. Lost a bit of interest towards the end.
Jack Oughton
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A *lot* of these sports psychology books are bollocks; all basically going over the same old ground and about as much fun as a colostomy. This book is enjoyable and quite different - recommended.
Derrick Thomas
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great BOOK! A lot of insights into why we sabotage ourselves!
Algirdas Purkenas
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
An okay read, reminds you of the importance on staying in the present moment. Really helped me in the long training sessions where I had lots of thoughts coming into my head.
Nessy Dimitrova
I read this e-book thanks to Blinkist.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS! Those feelings of inspiration and excitement are the exact feeling a non-fiction book should evoke. This was so well-documented and an enjoyable read!

The key message in this book:

Fuwad Abrar
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Helped me focus on the present rather than worry about the past.
Devinka Seneviratne
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simple read with good clear take aways. Key points are mindfulness, insight, concentration, right effort and trust. To help in both work, play and personal.
Amy Moritz
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I could have read this book in an afternoon but pesky things like work got in the way. Recommended to me by my friend Carolyn I texted her after the first two chapters to thank her for telling me about the book.

Sometimes I think my love of books like these is because I'm already inclined to think the way of the author. Which makes me wonder if I'm being shortsighted in my reading selections or if this helping to deepen and reinforce ways in which I want to be in this world. That's something to
Sarah Phelan
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love George Mumford's straightforward talk about the actual practicality of mindfulness. Whether you are an athlete or someone just interested in how meditation can help you as a person, the techniques he discusses can translate into meaningful personal changes. Mumford talks from experiences of his work and life, as a former addict, a successful business man, a kid from Massachusetts neighborhoods, an athlete, and as a yoga and meditation coach to superstars in our time. As a teacher, I think ...more
Jake Mattleman
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
While this book isn't the most crisply organized or well written piece of work, the message still rings through. Mumford leans on ALOT of quotes and references from others, which can be frustrating at times and make the book seem like an organiZed collection of ideas. However, his life story, passion and results shine though. I think time will show that this book is memorable and provides simple ways to train you mind for better athletic achievement. Worth the quick read.
Chris
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book ques readers about the depths of the zone and what it means to be a mindful athlete. This author mentions the idea of flow many times and you can tell how well this author understands this subject by how competent he is in creating a flow with words. I finished this book in three sittings. One of my all time favorites.
Alex Devero
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Focus on the present. Throughout the day, we’re distracted by all kinds of stimuli, but when you narrow your focus and concentrate on your body, your breathing and your inner self, you can unlock your full potential and connect with higher levels of consciousness. Mindfulness is the key to reaching your peak performance – whether you’re on or off the court.
Ryan
Dec 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Very high level book on mindfulness that relates it to sports. Considering the author taught Phil Jackson's Bulls and Lakers mindfulness, I was disappointed there weren't more stories / examples using his high-profile students. Really high level discussion of mindfulness, doesn't go as deep into it as I would've liked.
  • The Champion's Mind: How Great Athletes Think, Train, and Thrive
  • 10-Minute Toughness: The Mental Training Program for Winning Before the Game Begins
  • Elite Minds: Creating the Competitive Advantage
  • The Way of Baseball: Finding Stillness at 95 mph
  • How Bad Do You Want It?: Mastering the Psychology of Mind Over Muscle
  • How Champions Think: In Sports and in Life
  • Relentless: From Good to Great to Unstoppable
  • You Win in the Locker Room First: The 7 C's to Build a Winning Team in Business, Sports, and Life
  • How Colleges Work: The Cybernetics of Academic Organization and Leadership
  • Big Questions, Worthy Dreams: Mentoring Young Adults in Their Search for Meaning, Purpose, and Faith
  • Legacy: What the All Blacks Can Teach Us About the Business of Life
  • Built to Win: Inside Stories and Leadership Strategies from Baseball's Winningest GM
  • Beyond Talent: Become Someone Who Gets Extraordinary Results

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $4.99 $1.49
    $4.99 $1.99
  • I Suck at Girls
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems
    $11.99 $3.99
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“Monkey mind is actually a Buddhist term that refers to a mind that is restless, agitated, confused, or that is hard to control.” 1 likes
“We can either make ourselves miserable,” he says, “or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” 1 likes