Start by marking “Pure Vegetarian: 108 Indian-Inspired Recipes to Nourish Body and Soul” as Want to Read:
Pure Vegetarian: 108 Indian-Inspired Recipes to Nourish Body and Soul

Pure Vegetarian: 108 Indian-Inspired Recipes to Nourish Body and Soul

An inspired vegetarian cookbook with 108 recipes inflected with the practices of Ayurveda and mindfulness practices derived from a bhakti yogic lifestyle.

Food is so much more than nourishment for the body, and health is not just a results-oriented goal. Lakshmi Wennakoski-Bielicki, the creator of PureVege.com, creates food that is healthy, tasty, ethically sound, and spir
Published July 21st 2015 by Roost Books (first published May 12th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Pure Vegetarian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pure Vegetarian

Cherie
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Lots of yummy Indian pure veg recipes.
Radha Gopinath
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a recipe collection, Pure Vegetarian offers an interesting read for any Western vegetarian. I like that the author doesn’t claim that the recipes are 100% authentic, but admits that many of them she has developed by tracing back a food memory. Many of the preparations, especially on the sweet section, follow the standard of Hare Krishna restaurants around the world; anyone who has ever eaten in one knows that the desserts are satisfying, and often less sugary than the ones served in India.

Bei
Brandy
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book for free in exchange for an honest review**

This is easily the most gorgeous cookbook I have ever seen, let alone own. The care put into it is obvious from the moment you get it in your hands.
As far as content/recipes go, I haven't had the opportunity to try any out yet, and I have never even eaten any of these foods anyway, so I'm not sure I could ever properly critique that aspect. Truthfully, I had never heard of many of the ingredients. I am a little skeptical
Divya
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I bought Pure Vegetarian while on vacation and read all non-recipe parts on my flight back home--it was so interesting! Now I'm trying the recipes, and they are not only satisfying but motivating for me to experiment with her ideas of ingredients and spice combinations. I also love the way Lakshmi helps us relate to food beyond consumerism, bringing our attention to the social and spiritual aspects preparing and sharing food.

Well-structured and beautifully illustrated, delicious recipes with cl
roxi Net
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Drool. Over veggies? Totally!

I really enjoyed reading Pure Vegetarian and sampling the recipes. I've always been a big fan of Indian recipes and I was excited to see how yogic cooking was described in this book; I had reviewed a different cookbook regarding yogic cooking and it was nothing like Pure Vegetarian with its beautiful color photographs, drool-inducing food shots and descriptions of food, etc.

I was also excited to see recipes that included foods not found in normal grocery stores - I h
Jules
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, arc, netgalley
A wonderfully executed and artfully restrained cookbook. Wennakoski-Bielickie uses 108 vegetarian, Indian recipes to take readers through a gastronomic yoga practice. Building block recipes early on (butter, ghee, spice mixes) are used later to create satisfying dishes and main meals. Clean and simple dessert recipes close the book on a satisfying note and leave readers feeling invigorated and inspired.

Notes: Beautiful pictures, recipes look great. I've been cooking long enough to know by sight
Colleen
Jun 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Disclaimer: This is a First Reads review

This is a beautifully put together cookbook of ‘Indian-inspired’ recipes. I'm not enough of a connoisseur to know how traditional the recipes are, but it seems that she’s put her own twist on a lot of them. The photos alone are enough to make you want to try the recipes. She takes you through making basics (yogurt cheese, paneer, etc) into more complicated dishes. I tried her paneer recipe and it was surprisingly easy and turned out just as expected.
Chris Loop
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simple, clean and healthy recipes with a Indian twist. I feel all cookbooks should have great drool worthy photos and this book comes through. Great for anyone who wants to expand their helathy options
Elizabeth
Therese Wiese
Dr. Cole Marie Mckinnon
May 14, 2015
  • Once Upon a Time It Was Now: The Art & Craft of Writing Historical Fiction
  • The Road to Becoming: Rediscovering Your Life in the Not-How-I-Planned-It Moments
  • Don Quixote: A BabyLit® Spanish Language Primer
  • Buddha For Beginners
  • Sex After . . .: Women Share How Intimacy Changes as Life Changes
  • 50 Pincushions to Knit & Crochet: Stash Your Sharps in Something Cute and Handmade
  • Shakespeare's Cats: The Complete Sonnets for the Literary Cat-Lover
  • The Phlunk
  • Beijing Bastard: Into the Wilds of a Changing China
  • Peking to Paris: Life and Love on a Short Drive Around Half the World
  • Holding Silvan: A Brief Life
  • The Heritage: Black Athletes, a Divided America, and the Politics of Patriotism
  • Mumbai New York Scranton: A Memoir
  • The Wisdom of Hair
  • Pierogi Love: New Takes On An Old-World Comfort Food
  • Going Solo in the Kitchen
  • The Enchantingly Easy Persian Cookbook: 100 Simple Recipes for Beloved Persian Food Favorites
  • Eat Like You Give a Damn: Recipes for the New Ethical Vegan