Start by marking “The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy: A Handbook for Girl Geeks” as Want to Read:
The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy: A Handbook for Girl Geeks

The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy: A Handbook for Girl Geeks

Fanfic, cosplay, cons, books, memes, podcasts, vlogs, OTPs and RPGs and MMOs and more—it’s never been a better time to be a girl geek. The Fangirl’s Guide to the Galaxy is the ultimate handbook for ladies living the nerdy life, a fun and feminist take on the often male-dominated world of geekdom. With delightful illustrations and an unabashed love for all the in(ternet)s a ...more
Published May 12th 2015 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy, please sign up.
Jacqueline O. Sam is a Samantha. As to teen/pre-teen readers, probably (know your teen). There are some topics that might be considered "adult" but they are…moreSam is a Samantha. As to teen/pre-teen readers, probably (know your teen). There are some topics that might be considered "adult" but they are approached in a non-threatening way, and present concepts your teen probably should know (such as what to do if she's goggled, harassed, or let's hope not touched at a con by a jerk and it makes her uncomfortable).(less)
MARC You can read it online through the Kindle app ... it's $3.99 for the e-book:

MLE
Mar 09, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, yad
I received this book as an ARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

To be perfectly frank, I saw the title for this book, got very excited, and clicked the approve me button before I did any research on this book. My bad, but it looked like something I really wanted. I consider myself a bit of a fangirl, and I was looking forward to maybe finding out more about some of my obsessions. Maybe some in depth articles about Doctor Who, or fangirl culture, maybe about what women bring to
Sam Maggs
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I hear the author has v. v. soft hair
Darth J
May 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: disappointing
But why, though?

I hesitate to write this review because [dramatic pause] I am a man reading this. [Cries of “This book isn’t for you!!!!!” issue from audience, followed by an obligatory “I’ve been triggered” and “He’s mansplaining!!!” as people post angrily into their tumblrs about my gender confession]. All kidding aside, I wanted to read this book because I love fandoms, think Quirk puts out some of the most interesting books I’ve ever read, and enjoy Sam Maggs’s articulate posts on The Mary S
Maureen
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
SO GREAT! I would recommend this book to basically everyone. Read it, please
Jessica
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was sent this by Quirk Books and I loved it!! If you've ever felt like you've been a part of a fandom, this is for you!
I loved how empowering this was, especially for women (and young girls too!) I love that she touched on Internet slang, popular fandoms, trolls, conventions, feminism etc. definitely recommend this to all my fanboys and fangirls out there!
Liz
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Want to feel empowered as a fangirl? READ THIS BOOK. Honestly, fangirls catch a lot of flack, so it's nice to have a physical copy of something saying FANGIRLS ARE AMAZING. There is stuff about fandoms, conventions, fan fiction, feminism and more. Definitely a book that I will be pushing on any fangirl friend.
Rebecca
Read this review and more on my blog

In a nutshell: A fun, cute read on geeks, fandoms and feminism.

I have to start this review with a confession: I'm not a big fangirl. My big fandom - if something so general even is considered a fandom - is books, and within that there's specific novels and series that I love. I love a lot of things and I'm passionate about things that would warrant the "nerd" or "geek" label to a lot of people. I'm cool with that... now. I think it's great to be passionate abo
Riley
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Super cute!
Lisa
Apr 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Full Review at Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2015/0...

This really turned out to not be a book for me.

I found some things that irked me, very little amused me and nothing really informed me.

I’m still a little unsure who the correct demographic for it is as it is quite basic in all the details (be sure to take water to that con!), so current “geek girls” will not find much in here they don’t already know either through experience or common sense. I suppose it could be used by yo
Adriana
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, nonfiction, arc
ARC provided by Quirkbooks via Goodreads.

Not only does this book provide a comprehensive guide for how to break into fandoms, how to decipher fanfic speak, where to get your geek on, and how to use your geekdom to make the world a better place--all while written with shrewd wit, progressive terminology, and empowering passion--but this book does a spectacular job of encouraging girl geeks to reclaim the term "fangirl" and wave their nerd flag with pride.

(Not to mention that this book contains
Alexa
Jan 14, 2016 marked it as nope
I will not be reading this book,

Reason 1: Kat's Review

Reason 2: MLE's Review

You don't need a book to teach you how to be nerdy.

You need to watch Star Wars enough that you can discuss why Padme should have been Mon Mothma. (I don't care what anyone says I'll go down with that theory!)

You need to scream like a crazy person when you learn that they're remaking Sailor Moon or be surly as hell when you learn they're remaking Evangelion. (Freaking Mari Makinami should NOT exist!)

You need find a vid
Yodamom
A book every sensible nerdish loving girl needs in her library. Okay I'll go a far as saying every intelligent gifted well rounded happy girl needs to maneuver the intricate world of awesomeness. If you don't own a copy well, your life is lacking. There it is, truth.
What's inside that completes your awesomeness ?
Talking geek
Connecting with fellow fangirls
Definitions
Interviews
Codes
Deflecting trolls
Dressing
More, more more.... if you love it it's covered,
I had this on my coffee table it was a hit
Rita
Initial thoughts:

1. Adorable illustrations!
2. For every fangirl out there this is a must read.
3. The writing was snarky and I loved reading this book.
4. Useful tips for several geeky things. Definitely have to check some of these out!
5. The recommendations on a lot of great female characters from TV shows, movies, video games, books and comics were definitely one of my favorite parts.

Check out my full review on my blog!
Jana
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK WAS HEAVEN.
Maria (Big City Bookworm)
* An ARC of this book was provided to me through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review *

“Cons are like black holes for your wallet, what with collectibles and Artist Alley and I must have that photograph with Matt Smith here have every money I have.”

Change Matt Smith to Norman Reedus and that quote is honestly just one of the many funny and hilarious quotes that I can relate to within this book. I have recently seen a lot of people in the book community talking about this novel and when I s
Mia  Bakhthiar
Jul 30, 2015 rated it liked it
It's a cute read. Makes me excited to be a fangirl!
Mehsi
Received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

3.5 stars.

I was delighted when I found out that I was approved for this book. The blurb sounded great, like the perfect little book for a geek/fangirl like me. My expectations were high and I had hopes for lots of fun fangirl stuff, some conventions and glossaries.
However, it disappointed me. There was still a lot of fun fangirl stuff, fandom stuff, but sadly there were things I didn't like.

Let me start with the things I liked.
I
Elevetha
2 stars pretty much solely for the paragraph on Star Wars, all the times Stargate was mentioned, and the Enchanted Forest Chronicles recommendation.

First off, who is exactly is this written for? It claims to be written for "girl geeks" but the sad truth is that, aside from a few references and comments you'd need to be in the know to get, this offers practically zero information that geeks, or human beings in general, wouldn't already know.

At this point, is there anyone who considers themselves
Charley Cook
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fangirl's Guide is the go to, need to know, access all areas book to all things nerdy, geeky and fandom related. Maggs talks about everything from trolls to the correct terminology for a die hard Dr Who fan (Whovian, of course).
One of the best things about this book is the equal time and love Maggs puts into each and every fandom. No one nerdy thing is given superiority over another. You're a Trekkie? Awesome! Anime more your thing? Rock on! If only all geeky guides were equal opportunity, eh?
A
Lexie
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
Here let's put it this way: I have several cousins, a niece and some friends who will be getting this for Christmas and their birthdays. I wish, I wish so very much, this had been around when I was a young fangirl trying to find my way thru fandoms.

it's the kind of book that a reader may not read straight through. skipping around to reread parts that are relevant, or quoting the section that illustrates their point the best, this is a book that should encourage discussion. it's not an end all--
Marissa (Laudable Lit)
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: I'm not even sure, honestly.

Thanks to Netgalley for providing me a copy in exchange for an honest review.

I'll be the first to admit it: I'm a big fan of "geek culture." Sure, it gets blown out of proportion most of the time, but what doesn't? Geek culture and its merchandise have a bonding power unlike anything else I've ever experienced. See someone in your class wearing a Triforce necklace from The Legend of Zelda (your FAVORITE video game)?

BOOM. Instant connection!

Two of my best friends originally caught my attention
Christine (Padfoot's Library)
Never has there ever been a book that speaks to the centre of my soul like this one. This book encompasses everything that I believe I am and even more. When I first heard about this book, I was over the moon ecstatic because there was a few Doctor Who references. If you don't know btw, I am a massive whovian. I am a whovian first, human after. I was incredibly excited about the concept about a book on fan culture and more so, a guide! Although it may seem easier to interact and socialize online ...more
Ashley Dotson
Apr 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
When it's not being condescending and elitist, it's just boring. Not worth the read whatsoever.
Clair
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, reviewed
(A digital ARC of this book was kindly provided by the publishers via NetGalley.)

I remember growing up as a geek. It was a slightly painful experience, growing up near the middle of nowhere and having absolutely nobody in my local area who was interested in the same things as I was. I could talk at length about Spider-Man, Kingdom Hearts, various obscure foreign movies, books, and more RPGs than you could shake a stick at, but absolutely nobody was interested in my hobbies.

Not because they didn'
Cristian (The Bookish God)
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-received
I received a digital ARC of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Quirk Books!

At the beginning of the year I told myself I wanted to read more non-fiction books in 2015, especially on writing, so when I saw this book up on NetGalley I immediately requested it. The cover stunned me and the concept sounded very interesting to me. It didn’t disappoint!

The Fangirl’s Guide to the Galaxy is the perfect handbook for every fangirls and fanboys to grace the surface of the Ea
Elizabeth
What a great book! This is more of a handy guide to all things feminist and geeky than a collection of stories per se, but it's still well worth the read. Even myself, an avid geek feminist the past few years learned tons of stuff from this book - especially in the con section! It was also nice for all the kick ass lady recommendations in different forms of media & all the website recommendations - they'll both be super useful! This book will give all fangirls the feels - such a validating, ...more
Miranda
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, non-fiction
Eh. This is a very basic, quick run down of basic fangirl and fandom things. Having been a fangirl for many years now, I knew everything that was in here and didn't get anything new out of it, so I don't think the "a handbook for geek girls" byline was correct. But if you're just getting into fandom, this would probably be a good way to get familiarized with the terms and such.

Two big quibbles, though:

Any list of feminist anime characters that doesn't include Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon is incompl
Nancy
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you're a young girl or a grown woman and have tried to navigate today's world of social media you know it can by a daunting place. You'd never call yourself a fangirl or a geek in public because you'd be scorned or called a fake. So, this little gem of a book is for all of us.

For the novice (or guy who want to understand his girlfriend, wife or daughter) it explains what being a fangirl is and should be. For the new fangirl or the fangirl finally shouting out her geekiness to the world, it's
Mandy Mcdonald
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was everything I needed in my life...and then some.

I struggled hard core over the last year+ with the difficulty of knowing exaclty who I am and being comfortable in my skin. While my outward appearance played a part in the insecurities I harbor, being able to be openly proud of what I love, what I want in life, and where I am headed was something I had struggles with. I have always been a bit different and never fit into what most might consider the "cool" crow....and it used to both
Roberta
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on Roberta's Literary Ramblings

(Received as Early Reviewers copy from Librarything.com in exchange for an honest review)

I love that this book exists! It's a book that every fangirl should have in their library. Not only is it a fun read sprinkled with some awesome nerd references, but everyone can learn something from this book. I know I did.

I consider myself a fangirl, and have for some time, but I do remember the days when I would deny this term believing that it was for over
2015 Reading Chal...: A fangirl's guide to the Galaxy by Sam Maggs 1 13 Oct 03, 2015 09:59AM
First-Read? 3 33 Dec 29, 2014 07:40AM

• Don't Pigeonhole Me!: Two Decades of the Mo Willems Sketchbook
  • Soul Cutter
  • Super Late Bloomer: My Early Days in Transition
  • Start Here: Read Your Way Into 25 Amazing Authors
  • Martha Stewart's Handmade Holiday Crafts: 225 Projects and Year-Round Inspiration for Everybody's Favorite Celebrations
  • Luke Skywalker Can't Read: And Other Geeky Truths
  • Fresh Romance, Vol. 1
  • Wonder Woman Unbound: The Curious History of the World's Most Famous Heroine
  • Diary of a Tokyo Teen: A Japanese-American Girl Draws Her Way Across the Land of Trendy Fashion, High-Tech Toilets and Maid Cafes
  • The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration
  • I Work at a Public Library: A Collection of Crazy Stories from the Stacks
  • The Unfinished Revolution: Voices from the Global Fight for Women's Rights
Hello GoodReads! I'm Sam Maggs! I've written Girl Squads (a look at twenty fierce female friendships throughout history), Wonder Women (fun, feminist historical biographies of pioneering women in STEM) and The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy, all from Quirk Books. I'm also a Senior Writer at Insomniac Games; a writer of comics like Star Trek and Jem and the Holograms; a contributor to BioWare's next ...more
“Dream Your World. Be Your World. Flaunt Your World.” 20 likes
“We know what we’re into, we love hard, and we’re okay with it. But we don’t have it easy.” 17 likes