Start by marking “With a Friend by Your Side” as Want to Read:
With a Friend by Your Side

With a Friend by Your Side

With sweet thoughts about the value of friendship, this inspirational book preps young ones for the world beyond their own families. The striking photographs paired with poetic text will encourage more unplugged and imaginative play, help kids develop skills essential to their social and communicative development, and create a sense of belonging and security. Plus, we ...more
Published May 12th 2015 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about With a Friend by Your Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With a Friend by Your Side

Start your review of With a Friend by Your Side
Denise
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"With a friend by your side you can go a little farther...reach a little higher...dig your heels in and try a little harder." This is an amazing picture book about friendship and the things that can happen when you have a good friend! "They're just who you want when you need a quick hug at the end of a not-so-great day.
Wonderful pictures to go along with the simple but moving text! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!
Timothy Farring
I enjoyed this book. I thought the real life pictures added more to the book rather than if the pictures were drawn or painted. I really liked how cute the pictures were too, showing that friends can be very similar or very different.
Kelsey
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Age: Infant-Kindergarden

Crisp, delightful photography make this friendship book an invitation to smile and feel good throughout. Simple statements on each page make this perfect for reading aloud to a wide age range.
Katie
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun photos from around the world. Nice message. Simple text. Not didactic.
Dominick Marshall
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Easy read that has great pictures from around the world that really emphasis the idea of friendship and what a friend can really do for a person.
Kristi Bernard
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: multicultural
We all have a sidekick. It can be a person, pet or even a favorite toy. The best part of having and being a friend is having someone to share with. These pages are filled with wonderful photography. Author Barbara Kerley has always valued the importance of friendship. Readers will see first-hand by viewing the stunning images of what friends do together. Readers may even recognize similarities in some of the things they do and share with their friends or family. Short sentences put rhyme and ...more
Annie
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The photos in this book are really striking and kid-friendly. My 9 month old stared at each of them for a long time when I read this to her. It was even better to read the end pages and see that the photographs featured friendship scenes from many different countries and cultures around the world. The message of friendship is sweet and simple.
Holly Mueller
I enjoyed the photographs in this simple book about friendship. I especially liked seeing where around the world the pictures were taken - a map and captions at the back of the book - photos from Utah to Havana, Cuba and New Zealand to Indonesia. Very cool! I could see this as a mentor text for kids who love photography.
Maggie Mattmiller
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Probably would have just given this 3 stars, but the photographs are incredible! Truly beautiful! I also love that the photos are truly from around the world! (And in the back you can see specifically where each is from!) Some nice resources in the back as well. I'll put this on my classroom wish list!
Paula Hollohan
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really like the combination used in this book with Barbara Kerley's words and the photographs provided by National Geographic. See also, "The World is Waiting for You!" and others. Perhaps, modeling some writing and photographing in your own classroom on this book. Love it for K-6 classroom.
Karen Johnson
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Terrific message of friendship. It's simple, which is nice, and I love, love, love the photos.

It's cool that the end has a world map to identify where the pictures were from. It included a list with thumbnails along with the description.

Ruth Ann
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
What is good about having a friend?

How can we find a friend?

What can we do with a friend?

"Imagine what can happen with a friend by your side."

This book is filled with touching and/or amusing photos of friends, old and young.
Alyssa Tabor
Sep 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute, but did not give me the chills like "The World is Waiting For You."
Alexandria Hiam
Depicts people from around the world and their friends
A
Depicts people from around the world and their friends
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet with gorgeous photographs, this book would work wonderfully for a friendship based storytime or read aloud.
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family
Great photos! I smiled the whole time this book was open :) Highly recommended for all public and school library collections.
Jess
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z_16, picture-books
Brief book on friendship illustrated with National Geographic photos from around the world.

Made me grin.
Hannah Jane
This delivers a double punch of awesomeness - a positive, easy-to-understand message and beautiful pictures depicting people of all ages who live all over the world.
Michelle

• Sunday Shopping
  • A Rock Can Be...
  • Hands & Hearts: With 15 Words in American Sign Language
  • Who Was Here?: Discovering Wild Animal Tracks
Barbara Kerley was born in Washington, D.C. and has lived in many places, including Nepal and the tropical island of Guam. She has written about almost everything: 19th C iguanodons, Teddy Roosevelt, world peace, Mark Twain's donkey, and the pleasure of following your curiosity.