Start by marking “The Disappearance of Emily H.” as Want to Read:
The Disappearance of Emily H.

The Disappearance of Emily H.

A girl who can see the past tries to save the future in this compelling tween mystery.

A girl is missing. Three girls are lying. One girl can get to the truth.

Emily Huvar vanished without a trace. And the clues are right beneath Raine’s fingertips. Literally. Raine isn’t like other eighth graders. One touch of a glittering sparkle that only Raine can see, and she’s swept
Published May 12th 2015 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

Rashika (is tired)
Actual Rating 3.5

What makes this book so tricky is my grown up mind (at least in comparison to the intended audience). It’s absolutely adorable but I also felt like it was trying to be more mature than it was because it was dealing with so many important issues. There were some pretty intense plot twists but I found myself giggling instead of being shocked because the book is too cute for me to gasp at yet if I were younger, I would definitely be gasping and thinking about how frickin awesome t
Ms. Yingling
Raine isn't happy that her mother has moved them again, escaping from another not-so-nice boyfriend and "starting over". It means a new school, and fitting it, which is especially hard for Raine, since she has the ability to pick up "sparkles" and be able to read a person's memory. On her first day in her new school, she meets Shirlee, who has never been to a public school, having been homeschooled by her conservative mother. They get along well, but both of them end up on the wrong side of the ...more
Linda
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really surprised how well thought out and executed this book was. It's meant for middle grade readers, but my way adult mind was intrigued with the story and the way that children thought out a solution that brought about the capture of a criminal. A fun addition is a unique skill that Raine, the main character has. She can see sparkles that no one else can. When she holds the sparkle she can "see" a memory attached to it. This is an asset in the story but not so much in Raine's life.

Raine
Jillyn
May 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll admit it to you here, the reasons why I picked this book up are more personal than anything. My girlfriend's name is in fact Emily H. I took it as a sign to read this one. In short, it's a cute, quick read that I think younger audiences than me would appreciate more.

One of the big things that this book has going for it is the blending of realistic fiction and fantasy. It's really detailed and well-written as a realistic fiction. That is, there's a girl who is missing and a mystery to solve.
Sarah Laurence
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg-fiction
This easy-to-read mystery is set at a realistic middle school, but the clues are paranormal. It delivers a strong lesson about the dangers of bullying. The well paced plot was stacked with clues that will keep kids turning the pages to the scary climax.

The Disappearance of Emily H. has an entertaining cast of kids. The mean girl was a bit too generic, but the other characters were well developed and multifaceted. I especially liked the inclusion of a formerly homeschooled girl and children from
Claire
Raine's mom is a mover. When things get tough, she gets moving. This did not affect Raine who lived with her grandmother until she was 6, when Grandma died. Then a stable life slipped away from Raine as her mom swept in and took her along for the ride.

One thing Raine shared with Grandma is a magical ability to read memories that can linger on objects. Raine's fingers tingle to touch the 'sparkles' of memory that she sees all around her. Obviously she does not want this to be common knowledge or
Jana
I really enjoyed this quick read. It was suspenseful and emotional and funny. Will be a very good addition to my middle school library!
Barbara Senteney
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was shocked at how well thought out this story is, since it was written for middle school. It was a better mystery than some I have read for adults. Yes it is a thriller, and it definitely got some omg moments that will surprise you. Raine moves into a house where a little girl used to live that is missing.her name was Emily. Emily letf home one evening to go to a slumber party and was never see again. She was also picked on by bullies at the same school Raine now attends. Raine sees memories, ...more
Amber
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first middle grade book I've read in a while. I was pleasantly surprised. The story was darker than I would have thought, and full of on the edge of my seat moments.
Julianne
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was such a good mystery. There was so many twists and turns so that you couldnt figure how the story was going to end until you got there. ...more
Mitzi Moshiri
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Well written, great plot and a terrific mystery. I wasn't sold on the ending, however, I read this in a couple days, so it was quite a page turner.
Barbara
C. Lewis
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book!! I bought a copy of it at Mysterious Galaxy in San Diego during their anniversary celebration. I also got the opportunity to meet the author!! What an awesome person!! This is the first grade school book I've read and I have to say it is written better than some of the adult books I've read. I liked the main character Raine (and not just because that is the name of my character in my book...LOL). I like how she was able to stand up to the mean girls not only for herse ...more
Penelope
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked the book.it wasn't a bad book at all.I was just really disappointed in the behavior of eighth graders,particularly in how they try to ''get back'' at one of the bossier girls.
Carolyn Deas
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Raine and her mother move around a lot. After being in 5 different schools in 3 years, Raine hopes that Yielding is a place that will stick. They move into a bright pink house that is full of mystery. The family that lived there before suffered a loss - their daughter Emily disappeared one night on her way to a sleepover. Raine is special, though. She collects memories that she finds all over town in an attempt to solve the mystery that has been plaguing the town for months.

SPOILERS AHEAD!

Emily
Rachel
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, young-adult
When 13-year-old Raine transfers to her eighth school in five years (thanks to her mom's penchant for dating losers then leaving town when things inevitably go bad), she becomes one of the targets of the mean girl clique. But because Raine has the ability to see the memories of other people, she quickly learns that the mean girls know more about the disappearance of their classmate Emily Hovar than they're saying. While Raine privately tries to solve the mystery of what became of Emily, she also ...more
Lyn
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Raine and her mother move frequently so Raine is used to being the new girl at school. This time they've moved from Detroit to Yielding, New York. Raine is a runner so at least she always has the track team to hook up with.

On the first day at Yielding Middle School Raine meets another new student. Shirlee's always been home-schooled so this is the first regular school she's ever attended. It takes less than an hour for Shirlee to become the target of the school's queen bee and her followers.

The
Anna
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
Jenna
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall the book was interesting. I read it in 2 days, but honestly it was just a super easy read. I may be too old for this book, in that it takes place in a middle school setting with middle school characters. If I was in middle school, I may have thought this book was amazing. Overall there were some suspenseful parts that I was not expecting.

I found it interesting that she could read memories, I just feel as if the author could have found a way to make it less child-like.... sparkles? I thi
Shayne Domingo
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
After reading The Disappearance of Emily H., I'm happy to say that I have absolutely nothing negative to say about it! I usually have trouble holding my attention when reading but I was hooked. The story line was clear and very interesting but I think the main reason my attention was held was the fact that I could relate to a lot of characters in this story. Furthermore, the book was incredibly detailed which made it easy for me to visualize what was happening throughout the story. Overall an am ...more
Ciclali
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
the disappearance of Emily.h is a good book its fun to read if you like mystery. it's not the best because something that it has in the book and I don't want to spoil so I won't but there is some things in the book that just don't make sense. there are parts that are good and some that there is not. there is alos some inpropite things in this book that should not be readed but a little kid. this is more of a middle schooler boook than it is for a little kid
Amanda Pastoor
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Although this was a young adult book I throughly enjoyed it! It was detailed and kept me wanting more! My only complaint is that I felt like once I got to the end and kind of knew what was going to happen, it seemed to go by very quickly. I guess I wanted it to last longer but overall good, quick read!
Katie
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked the main character, Raine, her spunk, her drive, her working with the memories, and the pace of the book kept me turning pages.

Because of the mean girl situations and one in particular even more frightening than those, this will be one I'll hold out for awhile on for my own girls.
Sinead
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
okay i understood the girl had the gift and so did her grandmother but it didn't say how she came by this and why her mother didn't have it but thats not the point of this review i enjoyed it, it was good i was like in love with it. it did have some turns in it and thankfully was not written from "i was"

would i read it again no
would i read something else from this Author: meh
Julie
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
This is a really quick read, and it's sooo middle school. This story has a bully, teen love, teen possession, not one but two new kids, a missing girl, revenge, a criminal, paranormal ability, clueless teachers, and a mom trying to change. There's something for everyone.
Nandini
I really liked reading this Novel. I'm a fan of mystery books and Barrie Summy did an amazing job at making the story flow through a path of mystery. I recommend this book for anyone who craves mystery.
Marcia
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some fast-moving action and disturbing choices as Raine confronts bullying by mean girls at her new high school and uncovers scary plots and consequences.
Roseann
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Good middle grade novel with enough scare elements to have adults enjoy.
Rachel
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Overall a good book, but the ending felt really rushed. The climax of the book felt caught off and then wrapped up quickly.
Timina
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Promising start, entertaining the 2/3 then went way off the rails to finish. Too bad
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The League of Beastly Dreadfuls (The League of Beastly Dreadfuls, #1)
  • The Perfect Place
  • The Curious Cat Spy Club (Curious Cat Spy Club, #1)
  • Seagulls Don't Eat Pickles (Fish Finelli, #1)
  • Isabelle Day Refuses to Die of a Broken Heart
  • Grave Images
  • Beyond the Laughing Sky
  • The Accidental Afterlife of Thomas Marsden
  • One Witch at a Time
  • The Mysterious Woods of Whistle Root
  • The Courage of Cat Campbell
  • The Tiara on the Terrace (Young and Yang #2)
  • Somebody on This Bus Is Going to Be Famous!
  • Secrets of Shakespeare’s Grave (The Shakespeare Mysteries, #1)
  • Moon Shadow
  • Curse of the Boggin (The Library, #1)
  • The Curse of the Were-Hyena (A Monstertown Mystery)
  • Ghost in the Cogs: Steam-Powered Ghost Stories
Barrie Summy grew up in Canada on a steady diet of books and tobogganing. She tries to read a book a week and always breaks for tea and cookies at three oclock.

Barrie lives in California with her husband, their four children, a veiled chameleon, and Dorothy the Dog.