Start by marking “The Broad Fork: Recipes for the Wide World of Vegetables and Fruits” as Want to Read:
The Broad Fork: Recipes for the Wide World of Vegetables and Fruits

The Broad Fork: Recipes for the Wide World of Vegetables and Fruits

From James Beard Award winner Hugh Acheson comes a seasonal cookbook of 200 recipes designed to make the most of your farmers' market bounty, your CSA box, or your grocery produce aisle.
     In The Broad Fork, Hugh narrates the four seasons of produce, inspired by the most-asked question at the market: "What the hell do I do with kohlrabi?" And so here are 50 ingredients-
Published May 12th 2015 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about The Broad Fork, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Broad Fork

Start your review of The Broad Fork: Recipes for the Wide World of Vegetables and Fruits
Pam
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Broad Fork: Recipes for the Wide World of Vegetables and Fruits by Hugh Acheson is a big, beautiful cookbook filled with very doable recipes. It is 335 pages long and loaded with recipes. Each page doesn’t just contain one recipe, sometimes there are two or even three recipes on a page. Most, but not all of the recipes are accompanied with a gorgeous drool-worthy photo.

First of all, let me begin by saying that this book totally won me over with the inside cover which read, “What the hell do
Naomi
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
OK...gotta admit that I love getting fun and unique cookbooks when they are on sale. This one was a great buy. Lots of unique recipes with veggies I have never heard of. Definitely will be trying some new stuff.

I also loved this author's sense of humor. He had some great one liners in there.
Cissa
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We belong to a CSA, and sometimes we get a LOT of veg- some of which it can be hard to use. This book- like the "Victory Garden Cookbook" (another go-to)- promises to give lots of ideas about what to do with that celariac. The main difference is that Broad Fork is more "cheffy"- though not inaccessibly so- and Victory Garden is more middle-America.

I love that preserving and fermenting are included! My first project will be to can some spiced blueberries, and I am contemplating kimchee as well. I
Mary
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Acheson tries to strike a balance between fresh, local, healthy food and low stress, low key cooking that encourages engagement with farmers without making cooking seem like a “sport of the Jedi”, to use his words. And, he wants to do this with southern food, which many have come to regard as unhealthy. And, to some extent, the book walks that fine line with fresh oriented recipes that don’t require specialty ingredients or hours of time. But many of the recipes do require specialty ingredients, ...more
Natalie Fort
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, and I will probably buy my own copy.
The only chapter that I didn't read was, "Spring," because it's time to return the book to the library.

The other three chapters: Summer, Fall, and Winter. . .
I love that Acheson organizes his book into seasons and that, in so many places, he tells stories, anecdotes, and gives helpful tips about techniques. Vegetables take center stage in his recipes.

I also love that he covers many rarer used produce (e.g. salsify) and provides recipes fo
Elizabeth Triggs
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Southern Ingredients & Influences

While the food is certainly rooted in Southern traditions and ingredients, I wouldn’t describe the food as “Southern” in a traditional sense, which makes it unique. Organized by seasons and focused on fruits & vegetables (although there’s tons of meat) is a great reminder of how we should be trying to eat and cook and I appreciated the voice in the writing- enthusiastic but humorous, too. Much like Yotam Ottolenghi did for contemporary Middle Eastern cooking, th
Sydney Legg
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
If there were half stars, I think I'd give this 3.5. Wonderfully put together, full of knowledge and tips. It's divided into the four seasons with a title page for each vegetable and a description of the vegetables' origin or a list of its different varieties. Hugh is well versed in the veggie world and I enjoyed his writing style. So while I loved this cookbook for it teaching me about new vegetables and techniques, it's one of those that I don't know how often I'd refer to it in my kitchen.
Kim
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I stumbled on this book accidentally while searching the local public library for general searches. I absolutely fell in love with it and had to purchase my own copy. I can hardly wait for it to come and to dsee love deep r into some of these lovely recipes. The authors voice is genuine and down to earth; such a good topic and the promotion of using locally sourced veggies in their own season, as well as a variety of ways to compliment them.
Viriam
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love cooks who are also farmers. the authors connection to the growing plant is evident. This cookbook presents quite an array of often overlooked or underused vegetables, well presented and curated.
Alison James
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
I couldn't find many recipes that I was excited to make. Some of the summer tomato recipes sounded good, but obviously winter isn't the time to try those.
Brad T.
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
nice book. beautiful with color photos. I don't see myself cooking anything from it though. too many ingredients that I never have on hand
Janet
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Enjoyable as well as delicious.
Beka
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Most of the recipes in here are too chef-y for me to be able to reproduce, but the book is beautifully put together and full of inspiration.
Vanessa Mastrocinque
Inspiring collection of recipes

Excellent reference of tasteful ways to incorporate unusual vegetable finds throughout the growing seasons. I felt I could taste each recipe :)
Mar 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
I loved how this book gave vegetables center stage. however many of the recipes felt either to complicated or finicky for me to want to try. made me think more about vegetables...
Amanda Bright
May 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I should have known better but I was hoping for some inspiration for vegetable (and fruit) recipes. Sadly this book really didn't give me that inspiration. Definitely not on my list to purchase.
Virginia Campbell
With "The Broad Fork", acclaimed chef, cookbook author, and restaurateur Hugh Acheson celebrates the joys of vegetables and fruits harvested through a sustainable lifestyle and given further value through food and cooking enlightenment. Along with 200 "recipes for the wide world of vegetables and fruits", Acheson also offers valuable insights into foods you were never quite sure of how to use and enjoy, and he introduces many others that you never knew existed. The expertise which has spawned hi ...more
Coleen (The Book Ramblings)
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-and-drink
Hugh Acheson won two 2011 James Beard Awards for Best Chef Southeast and Best American Cookbook, has been featured in numerous food and wine publications, and appears on Bravo’s Top Chef as a judge. He is the chef and partner for multiple restaurants such as Five & Ten, Empire State South, and The National. He was named a Best New Chef by Food & Wine Magazine. The photography through this cookbook is gorgeous, and the layout is simple, eye-catching, and easy-to-follow.

The Broad Fork is a vegetab
Sandra Lassiter
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a lovely book! Three simple recipes and then a complex one for a wide range of fruits and vegetables giving a nice variety of ideas for each. Not all the recipes are vegetarian, but I like that variety. After all, "variety is the spice of life"!

Recipes are organized according to season, beginning with Fall. Fall gives you apples, eggplant, figs, sweet potatoes, pecans and more. Winter is the season of broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, turnips, winter squash and so forth. Sprin
Farrah
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hugh Acheson sounds like someone I'd get along with really well. His love for food and being a better food citizen is apparent from the very first page of his introduction in his new cookbook. I love that he wrote this book in answer to the fact that so many of his neighbors kept asking him how to use different vegetables.

The Broad Fork is divided into 4 sections--Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer. I'm sure I'll be referencing this a lot to make all kinds of delicious recipes! <3 He includes an i
Meg
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the photographs immensely, but overall I was glad this was a library book and not purchased. It's another lovely cookbook with interesting ideas, but many recipes are time consuming or fussy. I'll definitely be scanning one or two recipes for my library, but that's about it.
Diana
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Nice cookbook focusing on fresh seasonal mainly vegetables and some fruits and nuts. The books four sections are Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer. Each section includes items available at that time of year from the author's CSA. The author is from Athens GA so some of the produce such as persimmons, ramps and fiddlehead ferns aren't available from my Colorado CSA but most of the vegetable featured are things I can get from my CSA or local farmers markets.

The recipes aren't overly complicated and
Brenda
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a great cookbook if you get vegetables from a CSA (or something similar) and don't quite know what to do with them. It doesn't have every vegetable included, but there are some ideas for some less common veggies. And some fresh ideas for more common ones, like broccoli and carrots, too. I've been trying to eat vegetarian lately, and was hoping this would give me more ideas for meatless meals, but a lot of the main dishes included meat, relegating the meatless recipes to side dishes. Ther ...more
Meredith
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, cookery
The three things I look for in a cookbook: new ways of looking at familiar ingredients, gorgeous pictures, and good writing. This has all of them... Refreshingly, there are more pictures of food than of Acheson (hard to find in a celebrity-chef cookbook), and the design is great. And he's really funny! Reading the intros to the recipes is worthwhile even if you're not interested in the actual recipe. I found suggestions for flavor combinations that sound great but I wouldn't have come up with on ...more
Katie
Jun 23, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked the style of this book. It was set up with a section for each Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer, and offered several recipes for each of a variety of fruits and veggies that are available during that season - including some items that most people (myself included) don't really know how to use. I thought a lot of the recipes were relatively clean, refreshing and simple, although some were longer and more involved (meaning I'm less likely to bother with them). It also featured items from the ...more
ThePinkCarrot
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this cook book! I bought galangal spice from Williams Sonoma and didn't know what to do with it...this book has the answer! Fermented carrots with galangal and lime. The opening paragraphs of this book were a discussion about how to cook kohlrabi, both the bulb and leaves. (Actually, she tells us that the bulb is really a swollen stem). This was the exact discussion our book club had about one year ago because two women shared a CSA box and one woman kept the bulb and one woman kept the s ...more
Catherine
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-farm-garden
Vegetable-oriented cookbook. There are a lot of recipes I wouldn’t make (and ingredients, especially Asian, I’ve never heard of)… but there are a lot I would definitely make. Basil and Pecan Pistou with Parisian Gnocchi is happening in my kitchen as soon as this summer’s basil crop is big enough.

I’m a big Hugh Acheson fan so I was predisposed to like this – the writing style is relaxed, with a lot of the goofy hughmor (sorry) you would expect. I’m mulling over which cookbook is going to be bani
Jennifer Engelmann
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
You don't really think of "reading" a cookbook, right? Well, when Hugh Acheson (aka the one with the eyebrow) writes about what to do with vegetables, showing us how to love weird bulbous roots, mysterious balls and fronds, you end up actually reading it, cover to cover, and want to make it all. Except for a few suspicious shellfish recipes.
Coleen
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
A big beautiful vegetable book. Not all vegetarian- but many good recipes that could be modified. Organized by season- get some veggies from your farmers market and get cooking.

Kelly
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I've read through the book. Haven't tried any recipes yet. Looks scrumptious!

• Momofuku
  • Williams-Sonoma Collection: Fruit Dessert
  • Poorlier Drawn Lines (Poorly Drawn Lines, #3)
  • Ruhlman's Twenty: The Ideas and Techniques that Will Make You a Better Cook
  • The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating
  • Homegrown: The New New England Cooking
  • Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives
  • Perfect Pan Pizza: Detroit, Roman, Sicilian, Foccacia, and Grandma Pies to Make at Home
  • Roberta's Cookbook
  • Dude, You're Gonna Be a Dad!: How to Get (Both of You) Through the Next 9 Months
  • Le Pigeon: The Cookbook
  • Just Me and My Mom / Just Me and My Dad
  • Napoleon's Buttons: How 17 Molecules Changed History
  • Emily: The Cookbook
  • The Cafe Spice Cookbook: 84 Quick and Easy Indian Recipes for Everyday Meals
  • Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure
  • The Indifferent Stars Above: The Harrowing Saga of a Donner Party Bride