Start by marking “Sustained (The Legal Briefs, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sustained (The Legal Briefs, #2)

Sustained

(The Legal Briefs #2)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  22,612 ratings  ·  2,567 reviews
A knight in tarnished armor is still a knight.

When you’re a defense attorney in Washington, DC, you see firsthand how hard life can be, and that sometimes the only way to survive is to be harder. I, Jake Becker, have a reputation for being cold, callous, and intimidating—and that suits me just fine. In fact, it’s necessary when I’m breaking down a witness on the stand.

Comp
Published August 25th 2015 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Sustained, please sign up.
Karine In my opinion : YES.
In my opinion : YES.
I had zero interest in reading Overruled so I tried Sustained as my first Emma Chase book and it was totally ok. I wan't lost or anything.
Enjoy !(less)

·  22,612 ratings  ·  2,567 reviews

Start your review of Sustained (The Legal Briefs, #2)
Emma Chase
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
These characters, this story, is so dear to my heart - so very special to me. I hope Jake, Chelsea and the kids make you laugh, and make you teary-eyed. I hope they leave you smiling and thinking of them long after you're finished reading. And I hope Sustained becomes as special to you as it is to me.

Thank you for reading!

All my best,
Emma
Katerina
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 "Where is my Jake knight in tarnished armor" stars

Narrator: On January 7, 2016, Katerina's Social Life was brutally murdered. The poor lady was already terminally ill, but a series of bad decisions led to the events that brought her existence to its end. May she rest in peace.

Unlike most defendants, I chose to testify. They had to know what happened. They had to understand that I couldn't be blamed. That it was all her fault.

Prosecutor: Where were you last Thursday?
Me: I never left my hous
Aestas Book Blog
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
::: FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED ::: 4.5 stars :::

What an AWESOME book!!!

It was hilariously funny, sexy, romantic, heart-warming, and kinda badass! If you love reading stories about heroes and heroines with kids, then this is definitely a must-read recommendation!

Jake is the kind of guy who plays by this own rules. As a high powered criminal defence lawyer who can get just about anyone out anything, who is on top of his game, and who lets nothing slow him down, he never attaches any strings to the n
Christy
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!

photo 548943fe-ddd4-4ed9-ab34-bbd3fe818084_zpszddj3wbi.jpg
A knight in tarnished armor is still a knight.

Sustained is a very funny, feel good, heartwarming read. Emma Chase is perfect at writing steamy stories that make you laugh out loud. Jake may be my favorite character of hers since Drew. Jake is a defense attorney. They guy who defends the criminals. He’s also a playboy. But one scare makes him want to change his ways and start to date before sleeping with girls. Jake is the type of guy who isn’t planning on settling down. He do
Amy | Foxy Blogs
Big price drop: $1.99 -> http://amzn.to/20jiJFX
10/31/2015

My favorite Emma Chase book to date. LOVED IT!

The opening of this book caught my attention. It isn’t something we normally see in our romance books because it’s more reality than it is sexy. I was drawn in and wanted to know how the author was going to handle the subject matter. Fortunately for the character that situation resolves early in the book but it leaves him making some lifestyle changes.

Emma Chase knows how to write the male
Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog
*****FOUR STARS*****

Something inside me crumbles, under the weight of all the things I want. I want her--this fearless, stunning woman. And I want the kids. Those perfect, awful, amazing children--whom she loves with every inch of her soul. I want them to be mine. Mine to hold, mine to protect and teach. Their joy, their laughter, their love. I want to come home to it, bask in it, be the reason for it. But even more than that, I want to deserve them.

photo 09620490a60c480e43daaebb866bb452_zpshbkloo7n.jpg

Emma Chase has another hit series on her h
Jennifer Kyle
5 Hi STARS

[image error]

Emma Chase excels at writing a male POV as her previous works have proven. Believe me, that’s a pretty strong feat that some authors fall short in executing. This story is told completely in Jake Becker’s POV and he’s not only downright hilarious but this guy is the total package. He’s tough, driven, brutally honest, playboy, standing at 6’5, two hundred and twenty-five pounds of rock-solid-muscle, he’s a dream in a suit.

Jake is Washington D.C.’s up and coming defense at
S.M. West
5 SEXY JAKE STARS

“A knight in tarnished armor is still a knight.”

Emma Chase is a rare and gifted breed of author that has the natural knack of mixing hilarity with a little bit of angst and a whole lot of hot and sexy to perfection!

Sustained, the second book in her Legal Briefs series was Perfect because...it really. fucking. was.

Jake Becker is a criminal defense attorney and likes things organized his way - neat and easy. He's Mr. No Strings, definitely a playboy and has no shame in adm
Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾
5 Stars

A knight in tarnished armor is still a knight.

No one, and I mean no one gives male POV quite like Emma Chase. The woman is the queen of male POVs and nothing beats her. While Drew from Tangled is still my number one, Jake is now right there alongside with him. I want to tell you that I liked this book, but that'd be an outright lie. Because I didn't just like it. I fucking loved it. Hard.

I had the immense pleasure to meet Emma at an author signing earlier last month, and hear
Geri Reads
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!!

One of the most amazing and unique things about Emma Chase is her ability to write an authentic male POV, and this book is straight up told in Jake's POV. And no one writes a male POV in romance better than Emma Chase. Her heroes are straight shooters and funny and sometimes a bit inappropriate. But in a good fun way!

Jake Becker is one of DC's up and coming defense attorney and a proud bachelor. He doesn't want complication in his professional life and personal life. Chelsea McQuaid i
Arini
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arini by: konstantina avouri
4.5 Stars

What is the word that describes an all encompassing feeling of joy and happiness?

Sustained.

I know that’s not technically correct. But this book sent me OVER THE MOON. Ahhh, I’m SO happyyy you have no idea!!!

If there’s one thing defense attorney Jake Becker doesn’t need in his life, it’s complications. That is until Chelsea McQuaid and her six orphaned nieces and nephews come along and complicate the ever-loving hell out of his life.

I loved this so much. It was stinking cute and supe
Mo
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 happy stars.

Jake is happy with his life. He has a good job, good friends, good sex ... when he wants, on his terms. Why would he want to change all that?

Chelsea McQuaid, that's why!!

... and her family ...

... her BIG family. Six kids. Kinda rolled my eyes at that ... then again "McQuaid" - good Irish Catholic name. Of course there would be six kids... Why, I hear you ask, do you not have six kids then, Maura? Well, I never said I was a "good" Irish Catholic, now did I?

"How many kids live
Pearl Angeli

5 Stars!

One of the best rom-coms ever!

When Emma Chase writes a book, she really means business. I loved how she did it this time. This book is now my new favorite!

Sustained is the second book of The Legal Briefs series. It can be read as standalone. This time it's Jake Becker's story. A successful lawyer, he doesn't do relationships and commitments as they just complicate his career. That was until he accidentally ran into a 10 year-old boy named Rory and met his gorgeous aunt named Chelsea
Jx PinkLady Reviews ♡ @bookwormthoughts
It's LIVE! * Amazon US * Amazon UK * iBooks *

Sustained is an erotic lust filled story about a successful lawyer and a girl dealing with the sudden responsibility of her six nieces and nephews. It’s the first book I've read by Emma Chase and I absolutely adored every single moment! It's the second in a series but works superbly as a STANDALONE. The characters are lovely, the themes beautiful, it's witty, overflowing with personality and an abundance of love and romance that completely carried me
melissa ☽

you know, i really thought i would hate Jake the whole time because of his introduction but i- i sLOWLY started to love him??

i really did not like Jake in the beginning because he's kind of an ass with a fuckboy mindset which is uhh an acquired taste but goddamn it once he sang a One Direction song to Rosaleen the seven year old little girl that's so freakin adorable that it changed me. my beliefs? perception? CHANGED.

so basically this story is about

Jake Becker (H), a defense attor
TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover
description

My cheeks still hurt from all the smiling, LAUGHING, and swooning I did while I read this story. I am convinced Emma Chase can not write a bad book!

Jake is a defense attorney who likes very little drama in his life. He likes order. He likes routine. He has everything planned out regarding his career and has no room for love or relationships.

Chelsea is a sweet, selfless, 26 year old grad student with a heart of gold who learns she is now the legal guardian to her six nieces and nephews.

After Jak
Lo Bookfrantic
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-review-ng
SALE ALERT OMG THIS IS AMAZING REGULAR PRICE $7.99 AND IS ONLY $1.99 RIGHT NOW SAY WHAT???

AMAZON PURCHASE LINK:

5***I need this Sexy lawyer ~ Stars

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Type: Standalone book 2 of The Legal Briefs series
POV: First Person – Male

This book starts off with Jake Becker’s POV; in all honestly this is my very first MALE pov book so I was not sure if I was going to like it. So as I read I was waiting for the heroine’s pov but it never came and
Brandi
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing

So I fully intended to try to have a review for this fantastic book today, but I've misplaced my motivation, to do much of anything at the moment.

description

Okay who am I kidding, I am definitely a procrastinator...oops.

description

But seriously, this was a terrific, well rounded story, with great characters, humor and steam. I highly recommend it.

description
My lovely, Jennifer gifted me a copy! She is the best!
Thanks, babe! Woohoo!
Beverly
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not many authors can write laugh out loud funny and sinfully sexy in the same book, let alone paragraph. Emma Chase's writing continues to blow me away in Sustained, it's intelligent, witty and perfectly romantic.

Jake Becker is a successful, sexy attorney and a loner. He knows what he wants and the path he needs to take to get to it. When an STD scares him straight he decides to start "talking" to woman and getting to know them before going all the way. He isn't open to committing to anyone, but
XxTainaxX Curvy and Nerdy
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was not what I expected at all after reading the first book in the series. If I could rate this a 6+ I would! I lOVED Jake, Chelsea and the kids!!! The growth in this story was phenomenal. I mean it was seriously well done with some very sweet moments along the way. Jake went from indiscriminate sex to family man and the transformation is art. lol Chelsea and her little family have gone through so much in such a short period of time and it seems Jake is just what they need to find themselve ...more
Eliza

Release date: 24th August, 2015
Cliffhanger: No
HEA: (view spoiler)

photo 5FB3E5D0-567F-4514-9385-BE4A6759A2DC_zpsfpohcrge.jpg

Sustained is the second novel in The Legal Briefs series, and standalone follow up to its brilliant predecessor; Overruled.

It guarantees to entertain readers with its trademark Emma Chase laugh out loud-tongue-in-cheek humour, a straight talking hero, a wonderful supporting cast of characters, an angst filled plot, and last but not least; sexual
EmBibliophile
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to EmBibliophile by: Arini
Shelves: 4-stars

This was such a fun time! I wanted something light and fun and this is exactly what this book delivered. My whole love and rating goes to the kids in this book and to the kids relationship with Jake. They were just so freakin cute and adorable! This book contained the exact amount of fluff and cuteness I needed.

Watching Jake’s life turned upside down by six little demons and a cute woman was the most entertaining thing ever. This was my first time reading a whole book from the male’s P
Catarina
4,5 “Hi!” Stars.

Jake is a man that takes his work very seriously and takes his private life with no commitments. He doesn’t have time for that, nor does we want it.
Until the day Chelsea appears unexpectedly in his life. Taking care of her six (SIX!) nephews after her brother and sister-in-law tragic death, her life is completely turned upside down. Jake is taken by her and he’s decided to help them with legal issues but soon he finds himself wanting more. He always lived with no strings attac
Tears Of Venus, but humans call me Mina

re-read number 345678 : I'll never get over black-haired, grey-eyed, 6'5", 225 pounds of muscles and tattoos Jake Becker being absolute trash for Riley (14), Rory & Raymond (9), Rosaleen (7), Regan (2) and Ronan (6 months). EVER.

-----------------

re-read number 123456 and it still makes me

-----------------

❤️❤️
I want everybody in the whole wide world to read this book. I want to give a copy to every single person on earth. Hell, I'd give copies to aliens too.
I want to watch, in a totally non cr
warhawke
Sustained is LIVE!!!
Amazon  |  B&N  |  Kobo

Type: Standalone book 2 of The Legal Briefs series
POV: First Person - Male
Rating:

Jake Becker was a straight shooting lawyer. He always told it as it is, no matter if it’s his client or his lovers. He was a perpetual bachelor because relationships come with complications he didn’t need.

Chelsea McQuaid was as complicated as it could be. As a legal guardian to her six (yes six! *shudders*) nephews and nieces she didn’t have time for social life. But l
Mysza
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-read
How come I haven't read this one before is beyond me, because it was freaking awesome! Chelsea was great, strong, wise, level- headed but warm and affectionate at the same time. Kids, all six of them, were adorable!!! And Jake, don't get me started on him, what a guy, I loved him. Emma Chase kicked ass again with male's POV, sex was hot, there was a lot of fun and good kind of crazy with McQuaid's bunch. Overall, fantastic story, which I highly recommend.

Peek At My Book Review
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
*FULL REVIEW POSTER NOW**

Rating : 4.5 ‘ShoooManyCuties’ Stars

description

My Views : OMG That was an awesome book. description First things first I loved this book. I wanted to kidnap all those kids for myself and pff not to mention Jake too. I’m so glad that Emma Chase won my heart with this one. I was really disappointed with her books after Tangled but I’m so glad this one is a winner. Now I know there are so many friends saying that Jake is their new favourite from Emma Chase and even better than Drew – Well for me
Jacqueline's Reads
6 Jake Becker is MY Book Hero Stars

I love Emma Chase. I think she’s adorable and completely humble for someone who is so successful. I haven’t loved a book as much as I loved Tangled, UNTIL now.

Gah, I loved Sustained. From the first sentence, I was gone. I was consumed, I was hooked, I was gobbling it up like a desperate woman needing her book fix.

Sustained is a standalone and is part of The Legal Brief series. Each book focuses on a lawyer and as much as I love Drew and Stanton, they need to mo
Giorgia ~ Reads
4.5 ⭐️

I loved this!

It was told from the perspective of the male lead, so that was different.

We have Jake, a very focused and somewhat insensitive lawyer who likes the order and predictability of his life. The book opens by introducing us to his routine in terms of work and personal life. (workaholic, commitment phobe, who loves to win his cases and sleep with anonymous pretty faces).

We are privy to his thoughts throughout and well, he was a simple man, but a funny one. I loved being in his h
Corina
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emma Chase is the Queen of funny and witty writing and Sustained demonstrated just that.

Jake Becker, is a very successful attorney in D.C., he likes his routine and things a certain way – his way. Neat and easy are also some of the words he lives by. He would have made a great military man, except he doesn’t like to follow orders. He likes one night stands and casual hookups. He thinks he doesn’t have time for anything “else”.

Chelsea McQuaid, twenty-six year old aunt of 6 orphaned nephews and ni
Play Book Tag: Sustained by Emma Chase -- 4 stars 4 12 Jul 27, 2019 08:34AM
read/unread 1 7 May 22, 2018 09:22PM
Fifty Shades of R...: September 2015 ~ BOTM ~ Sustained by Emma Chase 12 60 Sep 29, 2015 04:16PM
♥♥ Serious About ...: Sept Buddy read - Emma Chase - Sustained 15 21 Sep 08, 2015 06:38AM
Book Giveaways: 1 Paperback Copy of Sustained by Emma Chase 1 25 Aug 27, 2015 05:26PM

• Managed (VIP, #2)
  • The Rivals
  • Sweet Temptation
  • Worth the Fall (The McKinney Brothers, #1)
  • To Hate Adam Connor
  • The Friend Zone (Game On, #2)
  • The Match (It Happened in Charleston, #1)
  • You Can Have Manhattan
  • The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
  • Bossman
  • Wait for It
  • Wrecking Ball (Hard to Love, #1)
  • The Baller
  • The Dare (Briar U, #4)
  • The Hook Up (Game On, #1)
  • Something About You (FBI/US Attorney, #1)
  • Idol (VIP, #1)
  • The Game Plan (Game On, #3)
New York Times bestselling author Emma Chase writes contemporary romance filled with humor, heat and heart. Her stories are known for their clever banter, hilariously authentic male POVs and sexy, swoon-worthy moments. Emma’s novels have been translated into over twenty languages and published around the world.

Emma lives in New Jersey with her husband, two children and two misbehaving dogs. She ha

The Legal Briefs (3 books)
  • Overruled (The Legal Briefs, #1)
  • Appealed (The Legal Briefs, #3)