Start by marking “Justice Calling (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, #1)” as Want to Read:
Justice Calling (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, #1)

Justice Calling

(The Twenty-Sided Sorceress #1)

Gamer. Nerd. Sorceress.

Jade Crow lives a quiet life running her comic book and game store in Wylde, Idaho. After twenty-five years fleeing from a powerful sorcerer who wants to eat her heart and take her powers, quiet suits her just fine. Surrounded by friends who are even less human than she is, Jade figures she’s finally safe.

As long as she doesn’t use her magic.

Wh
Published July 30th 2014 by Doomed Muse Press (first published July 23rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Justice Calling, please sign up.
Annie Bellet Stanley is too far south :) I picture it somewhat near Elk City (that's why Softpaw's pack is called the Bitterroot pack). But really, it's all made…moreStanley is too far south :) I picture it somewhat near Elk City (that's why Softpaw's pack is called the Bitterroot pack). But really, it's all made up, so... wherever you want it to be as long as it is next to the park! :)(less)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
🎲 A Let's Play Dice with the Slightly Awesome Crow Sorceress Buddy Read (LPDwtSACSBR™) with the MacHalos of Mischief and Mayhem (aka M³) 🎲

This Yummy Little Story of the Despicable Average GR Rating (YLSotDAGRR™) survived being reread by me. And managed to retain the 4 well-deserved little stars I glued to this crappy non-review 4 bloody shrimping years ago. What does that tell you? That most GR users read books wrong. Especially this one. But hey, they are entitled to their ever-erroneous opinion, and free to be in the wrong whe
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Urban paranormal. Kinda fast read.
A sorceress posing as hedge-witch, while in hiding from a crazy sorcerer. Yum.
- 1 star for all the gaming refs. And I've no idea what's that about her 20 sides....

Q:
Life-changing moments are sneaky little bastards. (c)
Q:
There was also the part where my wards hummed for moment, a sound only I could hear. Which meant he wasn’t human, either.(c)
Q:
Guy who owns the pawn shop next to me is a bonafide leprechaun and
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Kindle freebie again, June 6, 2017. Recommended for fans of urban fantasy with a side of romance (a small side in this case). Bonus if you like gaming as well.

3.5 stars for this Kindle freebie urban fantasy novella, rounding up because fun times.

Jade Crow is a gamer and a sorcerer with strong magical powers, hiding from the Big Bad, another sorcerer and Jade's ex-boyfriend who's the worst user ever -- during their relationship he helped her enhance her magical powers so that at the end of it he cou
Lyn
Jun 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can be on the best diet: lots of protein, fresh veggies and fruits, steering clear of all kinds of yummy carbs and also exercise, run and do yoga, drink lots of water and get plenty of clean fresh air and sunshine.

But sometimes you just want a cheeseburger and chili fries. And you want to lie on the couch and play computer games and watch trashy movies.

Life is complicated like that.

So we come to Anne Bellet’s entertaining and none too heavy 2014 gamer urban fantasy Justice Calling. Comparing food to writing, this is a ta
Sabrina
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
The author can write, but she's not really making an actual effort here.
This book is way shorter than an average novella (87 pages on my ADE reader, beginning on page 4 and ending on page 70: that's very, very lame, if you ask me).
A simplistic plot, no mystery, no turns, a predictable budding romance, and generally nothing much to write home about (nerdy bits notwithstanding).

But I'm sure that this could become something worth reading, if only the author decided to work o
Mara
Sep 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
First: title on the cover notwithstanding, this isn't a book. It's a shortish novella, slightly more than a 100 pages. With no real story compared to what the blurb makes you expect. [Maybe the 0.99 price mark should have told me something, but as it's often the case with Amazon everything seems discounted, so I didn't notice. I thought it was a good price to discover someone new. Eh, call me stupid...I'll let you.]

As it often happens (quite unfortunately), it's too short to have any
Marguerite (M)
Rating : 3.75 stars

WARNING :
I have read the first three books in a row and while I will try not to give away any spoilers, some little fuckers could find their way into this review thingie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meet Jade. Comics bookstore owner, gamer & on-the-run sorceress.
To everybody, she's just Jade the hedge witch, guardian of the Magic cards and defender of Batman. Who would believe she actually has a huge amount of power and many spells learn from Dungeons & Dragons?
Denisa
Hmm, not bad.

Ok, I expected a lot more from this book after I read the blurb and saw the cover. But I guess people were right in their reviews, it's not the best PNR out there.

Still, it had its fun parts, some good moments. The characters were likeable(ish) and the good part is that it was fast paced and short. So not a bad read, just a pretty typical one.
Hmm, not bad.

Marsha
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first saw the description for "Justice Calling" I truly didn't know what to expect. Then, after reading a couple of reviews I almost returned the book unread. However, the comments on the two negative review I read had nothing to do with the writing, plot or characters but about the length of the book and the fact the book is paranormal. Neither of those things bother me; so, I decided to give the book a chance. I am so glad I did. "Justice Calling" has a unique plot, plenty of action and ...more
Beanbag Love
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I waited to rate and review it until I finished the second one because I felt this one was a little more straight-forward and lacking in complexity than I'm used to in UF. After reading the second book in the series, I can say this is a good beginning.

The lack of a multi-pronged and complicated arc actually helps to introduce the paranormal elements in a way that sets the series up nicely.

After busting through the second book, I'm now already halfway
Gergana
Jan 12, 2016 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Kate Daniels and Mercy Thompson series
Read in February 4-5, 2016
WOW! That was pretty good! The audiobook is less than 3 hours, yet, it felt like I've read a whole novel. If I had to rate this book, I would give it around 4 stars - I liked it far more than most female-lead urban fantasies I've read in the past and I don't know why XD
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Why is there no sex in this story? We have insta-love, we have adults, so where's the hot sex? This is my biggest complaint with Justice Calling.

My second complaint is its length.
description
I like Jade Crow (gorgeous Native American and sorceress extraordinaire), I like Aleksei Kirov (even if he is a stereotype), and I would have liked for their story to develop a little
Jacob Proffitt
Maybe it helped that I went into it with low expectations, but I ended up at least mildly entertained, so that's a win. It is awful short and that means there wasn't much in the way of character development. It tried for character development, including what should have been a pivotal, even life-changing, moment, but it didn't really pull it off.

And I have to admit that at least some of my favorable reaction is that these are my people as the heroine is the proprietor of a gaming store and
Charlton
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I got this book for free,and I really didn't know how I would feel about it.
But it was a pleasant surprise.The MC being a sorceress,wearing her talisman about her neck.And the talisman is a D20.And she is the owner of a game shop/comic shop.
So,this was all a bonus to me:)

But the book was better than I expected and I thought it had good character development.It was dealing with shifters as well as the MC.But the story was not bad,it kept entertained throughout.
Paige  Bookdragon

Not really my type.

The book didn't capture my interest and maybe (just a tiny weeny maybe) I've been hoping this would be as good as Kate Daniels series. You know, with the slow burning romance, alpha hero who is not much of a jerk and funny scenes where the characters endear their selves to you.

Sorry, that didn't happen.
Jeanny
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was extremely short & not particularly creative. The mystery wasn't overly complicated & the evil doer was quickly disposed of. Imo it was all a bit too easily resolved.
I did like the cover art.
Marta Cox
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To everyone living in Wylde, Jade Crow is just a Native American nerd running her shop that caters to the geeks living in the area. What they don’t know is that Jade is a lot older than she appears, on the run from her murderous ex , oh yes and a much reviled sorcerer who can steal your powers by literally eating your heart ! So it’s understandable that Jade prefers a low profile and tries not to get too involved with anyone. Well that all changes when a fellow shop keeper buys a stuffed fox tha ...more
Diana Stormblessed
Cute. A little cliche. Nothing special. We'll see how book 2 goes.
Ian
This book is just asking me to compare it with The Voodoo Killings by Kristi Charish. Both books have a magic user who pay a pain price whenever she uses magic. Both books have someone evil using an ancient magic for their own nefarious schemes. There are lay lines and rivers of power in both. A protector of sorts in both. Both books are littered with pop culture references and in both books the pop culture "insider" jokes don't really work.

The main difference is The Voodoo Killings is quite audacious. The aut
Rhonda Stees-marcial
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Short

No real mystery. Just an introduction to the characters. The author can write well so I don't understand why there is little development of the story.
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I shamelessly pictured Jason Momoa as Aleksei

Even though Aleksei is russian and blonde. Whatever.

Justice Calling popped up as a Kindle Freebie a few weeka ago, so why not?

It is a fast paced novella, modern paranormal fantasy with...well, I was expecting some sexy time but didn't get it. Some murder, dark magic, shifters, a little mystery, and a legit Irish speaking leprechaun of all things😂

It hit a lot of my checks - a strong female, murders, quick pace with
Sean Lookielook Sandulak
I suppose it's not the worst complaint to say that a book as too short. Normally when I hear that, I assume it's someone putting their own expectations on what a book should be instead of enjoying it for what it is. In this case, however, I think the book suffers somewhat for it. This could have been a much better introduction to the series, but instead it brushes past the MC's backstory, it leaves many of the characters underdeveloped and flat, and awkwardly tacks on a love-at-first-sight roman ...more
Marianne
Not terribly original. I probably wouldn't even have bothered to list this novel, had it not been for its one redeeming quality:The title starts with that hard to find letter J, which is why this book now officially has become part of my 2016 A - Z book reading challenge.
Snarktastic Sonja
I picked this one up because I was having series withdrawal from a couple beloved series and didn’t really know where to turn. I picked up the sample, enjoyed what I read, and thought, ‘What the heck, it’s cheap.’ So, I grabbed it and read.

I did enjoy this story and the characters. There isn’t a mystery here – just a problem that needs to be solved. The story is very short – it is a novella or a short story – definitely NOT novel length. But, heh, it was cheap. I did enjoy the gamer
Sam
Fun little short story and it was a free download from B&N.

The female lead and her friends were interesting but I would have liked more depth/development in the male lead. It was hard to get a sense of anything but stone-face killer. The plot is straightforward, but it really intertwined well with developing Jade Crow's character and I liked the mix. The whole thing read a lot like a prequel to the world/characters so I'm looking forward to everything being expanded upon later. ...more
Vicki
I lost my review that I wrote earlier today...UGH!

This book takes place in the shapeshifter capital of the west, Wylde, Idaho, and I love it! There are wolverines, coyotes, leprechauns, warlocks, spirit guardians, witches, you name it, this book has it.

Jade Crow is the MC who runs a comic book/game store. She's been on the run from a sorcerer who wants to eat her heart and take over the powers she has. She purposely hasn't used her magical gifts for fear of it will bring attention t
Claudia
This is a quite good first book in a new urban fantasy series. I really liked the characters and the story.
what did not really worked out for me was the relationship between all the characters. there could have been more depth to it - especially the romance factor. this seems a bit out of the blue

Amyiw
2 1/2
Reads like a NA/YA yet the main character is 50+. It starts pretty good in story and then goes to running without thinking and falling into the problems and answers. It was OK to good, right in between but the immaturity of some of the characters just made me drop it down.
Tandie
I like the MC, Jade Crow, and her nerdy gamer friends. I wasn't impressed with the magical Justice sheriff guy or the very no burn romance. So...meh.
Casey
I wish this had been longer because I enjoyed the story that we did get. For those with strong feelings regarding romance in your fantasy, this reads like an Urban Fantasy despite what the blurb would lead you to believe. There is no romance in installment.*However, you do meet the character that is clearly going to be the romantic interest for other stories in this series.

I liked the magic system and how the power of a sorceress is different than a witch. I don't think I've read a fantasy that

• Frost & Bothered (Discord Jones #4)
  • Cat Fight (Jane Yellowrock, #9.1)
  • Celebromancy (Ree Reyes, #2)
  • Ruled by Steel (Ascension #3)
  • Armageddon Rules (Grimm Agency, #2)
  • Immune (Rylee Adamson, #2)
  • Shadows of Fate (Shadow Born, #1)
  • Black Wings Shorts
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard, #1)
  • Magic of the Gargoyles (Gargoyle Guardian Chronicles, #1)
  • Dog with a Bone (Black Dog, #1)
  • Liquid Fire (Skindancer, #3)
Annie Bellet is a full-time speculative fiction writer. She holds a BA in English and a BA in Medieval Studies and thus can speak a smattering of useful languages such as Anglo-Saxon and Medieval Welsh.

Her books include Avarice (Pyrrh Considerable Crimes Division: Book 1), The Gryphonpike Chronicles series, and the Twenty-Sided Sorceress series.

Her interests besides writing include rock climbing, re

The Twenty-Sided Sorceress (10 books)
  • Murder of Crows (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, #2)
  • Pack of Lies (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress #3)
  • Hunting Season (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, #4)
  • Heartache (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress #5)
  • Thicker Than Blood (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress #6)
  • Magic to the Bone (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, #7)
  • Dungeon Crawl (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, #8)
  • River of No Return (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress #9)
  • Balancing the Scales (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, #10)
“Life-changing moments are sneaky little bastards. Often we don’t even know that nothing will ever be the same until long after, only in hindsight can we look and say “There! That was it! That changed everything.” 12 likes
“A girl needs options. To me, video games are like shoes. But with more pixels and a plot.” 11 likes