Start by marking “Overruled (The Legal Briefs, #1)” as Want to Read:
Overruled (The Legal Briefs, #1)

Overruled (The Legal Briefs #1)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  19,276 Ratings  ·  1,841 Reviews
Emma Chase, New York Times bestselling author of the Tangled Series, returns with the first installment of the Legal Briefs Series.

As a DC defense attorney, Stanton Shaw keeps his head cool, his questions sharp, and his arguments irrefutable. They don’t call him the Jury Charmer for nothing – with his southern drawl, disarming smile and captivating green eyes – he’s a ha
Published April 28th 2015 by Gallery Books

Jill
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was ok

Originally titled The Dick and the Doormat apparently the publishers decided to change it as it gave away too much of the story.

Our...'hero'...Stanton Shaw, gets the honour of being my second nomination for this year's Dick Award.

Congrats Stant!...you're going to be a hard man to beat.

Emma Chase writes very well. Emma Chase writes unrepentant but lovable jerks very well...but not this time.
Christy
4 stars!

photo 7907ec76-ce6d-4f51-8f20-14e334314205_zpshxqv70b2.jpg

Overruled is book one in Emma Chase’s new Legal Briefs series. Funny, witty, sexy, this one had it all. I loved how the story started out in the past and moved forward with the main character. I also loved that it was written in dual p.o.v., because Emma Chase writes the male perspective perfectly. Stanton’s p.o.v. was flawless. And I loved Sofia’s as well.

The story starts out with two high school sweethearts. Stanton and Jenny. They are close to graduation and Stanton has big plans. H
Geri Reads
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 last love stars!

Just based on the blurb, I know this book would be for me. Yes, yes. I am one of those readers that like the sort unrequited love, slow-burning, hero is emotionally unavailable trope.
And I am not even so sorry because this book ticks every single one of those things for me.
Young love is strong. First love is powerful. But what you don't know when you're young—what you can't know—is how long life actually is. And the only dependable thing about it, besides death and taxes,
*****FIVE STARS*****

There comes a time in every man's life when he takes a good, long look at himself and admits he's been an asshole. A self-centered prick.
This is my asshole moment. Forsaken by the woman I love. The infuriatingly beautiful girl I have no intention of living without.

photo 342928db344e80c0496a1143214d00f2_zpsuj3gc1w0.jpg

I absolutely fell madly in love with this story. This is definitely not for everyone. Some might consider it to be a story with cheating involved, but I didn't see it that way, and neither did Drew Evans!! It was f
Amy (Foxy)
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
LIVE-> http://amzn.to/1Cr5owQ

Emma Chase has the intriguing ability to portray the male psyche. In her last series ‘Tangled’ she gave us the very amusing Drew Evans pov. In this new series ‘The Legal Briefs’ her first book is about Stanton. I was amused by Stanton’s thought process too.

Beyond the fun of having the pov of Stanton I loved all the movie and song references. At one point I thought, “I should be keeping track of how many I noticed.” It was almost like a treasure hunt trying to see
Anne
This was what I wanted to do every time Stanton opened his idiot mouth...

description

Don't get me wrong, I normally love a snarky jackass (married one!), but this guy was not endearing in any way to me. He was horrible. HORRIBLE. I can't even...horrible!
And maybe he didn't mean to be such a douchebag, but if that was the case then he's got to be one of the stupidest people on the face of the earth...and I still want to slap the shit out of him.

description

So the gist is that when Stanton was in his Senior year of high
Nina Bocci
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
OH MY GOD! WAIT UNTIL YOU MEET STANTON! If you thought Drew Evans was a sexy beast of an Alpha. Stanton is going to knock you on your ass, flip you over and drive the Alpha home.

Is that dirty?

I'm lucky. I admit it. I get to read AMAZING books before a lot of people and then torture you with details. This will be another one of those posts.

Great googly moogly, this book! Just when I think Emma can't get any better, she slaps me in the ass and proves me wrong.

A+ Emma.
S.M. West
5 "omne trium perfectum" STARS

DAMN that was GOOD!!

I loved every single word and moment of this read!!

This story is about criminal defense attorney, Stanton Shaw and his colleague/“friend with benefits,” Sofia Santos.

photo OR_zpslf6y8o0h.jpg

Ms. Chase says it best in setting up this tale:

“What happens when you mix a one-stop-light town, two professional arguers, a homecoming queen, four big brothers, some Jimmy Dean sausage, and a gun-Nana?

Yes, it’s all that hilarity and more!! At the core, this is a tale of love..
Emma Chase
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Beginning a new series has been both thrilling and terrifying. Thrilling because there are new characters to fall in love with, new places to explore, new storylines to lose myself in. Terrifying because...well...one word - new. It's something different, a change. A quieting of the character I already love and know so well.
As the first pages of Overruled turned into chapters, I came to know the characters of the Legal Briefs Series - their voices, their quirks, humor, sexy banter and strengths.
Catarina
3,5 Unsure Stars.

Stanton and Sofia are work colleagues and friends-with-benefits. Everything works perfectly fine between them as it is. Until Stanton ex-girlfriend and mother of his daughter, Jenny, tells him she is getting married, and Stanton with the idea that one day they would get together again, decides it’s time to go to the South and get her back. He asks Sofia to accompany him. What he doesn’t know is that Sofia is in love with him, and what he isn’t able to see is that sometimes fee
Pearl Angeli

3 Stars!

Emma Chase once again managed to crack me up with her hilarious, sexy, and witty characters and her delicious writing style. Buuuut I wasn't fully invested for most of the story. Maybe because Stanton was too much of a jerk and insensitive all throughout the book?

So the story is all about two lawyers Stanton Shaw and Sofia Santos. Stanton is a man from a town in Mississippi called Sunshine so basically we can expect some sexy Southern drawl going on. He's the High School golden boy. A
KathyAnne
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm really disappointed that I didn't like this... :(
I don't know... I just didn't like any of these characters...

Stanton - Man-boy womanizer who uses the women in his life he cares about for personal booty calls! Maybe he convinced himself he wasn't cheating but that's exactly what he was doing.
Sofia - doormat
Jenny - doormat

Y'all know I can't tolerate a doormat or a cheater! :)

The part that bugged me the most:

(view spoiler)

Rating: 4 "darlin" stars
Cliffhanger: No
HEA: (view spoiler)

photo 7F873B4A-729C-4A54-B0A7-65EC9A253805_zps4pgwvy9o.jpg

How I do love a male POV from Emma Chase. On this occasion we are treated to the Stanton Shaw experience. Stanton is a Washington, DC, defense attorney; ambitious and hella sexy country boy at heart. But don't think Stanton steals the show, oh no. We have Sofia flying the flag for the females. Sofia is Stanton's fellow colleague
Beverly
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paperback-own
Wow, I absolutely loved this read. When I started Overruled I had just told my bestie I was looking for a certain type of book, but couldn’t even describe it. I love Emma Chase and decided to jump in. I am so glad I did. This story was absolute perfection.

The story begins with us meeting a young Stanton and Jenny. They have just learned they are having a child unexpectedly. While they are very in love and plan to spend the rest of their lives together the timing is completely off as they are sti
Katerina
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it
“The whole world is a court case… and we're all... defendants.”

I will keep this review short because my sister is standing next to me demanding my attention and singing with her awful voice Christmas songs,so you will excuse me but self-preservation prevails.

The Defense
-Emma Chase's writing.I had a blast reading Overruled!An easy and light read with lots of laughter and steam that makes your panties spontaneously combust,hot characters and an interesting storyline that helps you forget tha
Vrsha (PeekAtMyBookReview)
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Rating : 3.5 ‘Home is where the Heart is’ Stars

description

My Views : First thing when I saw the cover “OMG that’s FSoG’s Tie!!!!”

description

Did you notice that too??? Okay I liked the story and not loved it because there were so many events that didn’t seem so right. However, entertainment level is quite high but not as high as Tangled. I’m so sorry but I just can’t seem to stop myself from comparing her other books to Tangled. Overall it was a nice read that you can enjoy under the Sunshine.

Style of writing : Did
Jacqueline's Reads
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 4-star-books
LIVE - http://amzn.to/18H1pDI

4 Hello Mr. Stanton Stars

Overruled is a standalone novel and is the first book in The Legal Briefs series.

YAY! It’s an Emma Chase novel! **Jumps for joy**. I love Emma!

Things I loved:

- Short and sweet Check

- Lawyer theme Check

- Steamy Check

- No Flashbacks! Check

Stanton isn’t your typical hero. He’s not lovable and he has major character flaws. Doesn’t that spark your interest? I know it does.

Overruled starts in the beginning, when Stanton is in high school. Stanton a
Arabella ~♡AB♡~
★★★★ 4.5 Stars ★★★★

Now LIVE!
Amazon - http://amzn.to/1QE2YEF
Amazon UK - http://amzn.to/1GrXe8V

Emma Chase does it again! I loved this book and I am already gagging for the next 2 in this series which focuses on 3 defence attorneys, Stanton, Jake & Brent. Overruled is Stanton's story.

Stanton Shaw is a southern boy from Sunshine, Mississippi who is working in DC as a lawyer to make a good life for his girls, high school sweetheart Jenny and his daughter, Presley.

At Jenny's insistence, Stanton le
XxTainaxX
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it
While I liked how Stanton and Sofia, our MCs, were together and they were scorching hot indeed, the story was almost entirely about Stanton's pursuit of another woman. He and Jenny, his high school sweetheart and baby momma, were on and off again. She is getting married and Stanton is not ok with that. So he goes to Mississippi to get her back. But he brings along his current friend with benefits, Sofia. I think for me, it's this that pushes it into dislike territory for me. If they had been som ...more
Nikki
DNF @ 33%

Oh boy, I gotta bail. Let's say..
description

Stanton and Jenny are high school sweethearts and she finds out she is pregnant right before they are headed off to college. She wants Stanton to go onto college while she stays home to raise their kid so of course he goes. She also suggests they have an "open" relationship while they are apart but you know she probably really doesn't want that right? So of course he goes and turns into an STD waiting to happen.

I just can't wrap my arms around that, I c
warhawke
Overruled is now LIVE!!

Amazon:http://amzn.com/B00MK394JI
B&N: http://goo.gl/nVR5hB
iBooks: http://goo.gl/CLKdj2

Type: Standalone book 1 of The Legal Briefs series
POV: First Person - Dual
Rating:

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Stanton Shaw was a hot shot criminal defense lawyer in DC. He had his whole life in line with professional life until an unexpected wedding invitation from his high school sweetheart who happened to be his 10 years old daughter baby mama lan
Yonaily
There comes a time in every man’s life when he takes a good, long look at himself and admits he’s been an asshole. A self-centered prick.

You, dear friend, you've been a total jerk.

Mine. I want to shout, write it on the wall—tattoo it on Jenny’s forehead in all capital letters.

Plus, the way I see it, Sofia has nothing to do with Jenny—they’re like two completely different rooms. Buildings, even. Like a barn and a house. Both important but unconnected, serving totally separate purposes.

Be
~Kristin~
DNF ~ NO RATING
This was a really hard decision for me, but I am going to have to walk away from this one. Here's why, we start this book with life long sweethearts finding out they are having a baby as their senior year of high school is beginning. Never an easy thing to deal with, especially with Stanton poised to go to Columbia in the fall. Jenny convinces Stanton that the best thing for their future would be for him to go ahead with his plans to go away and make something of himself, which in
Alice
Nov 26, 2014 rated it liked it

Emma Chase is one of my favorite authors, I loved her Tangled series and it will forever be one of my favs. I believe that she writes the best male povs and that all of her books are hilarious, sexy and sweet.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the same good vibes from this one.

description

In all of my reviews, I always point out that my opinion could be different from yours. There are some things that didn't let me enjoy this book, but there are really good reviews and ratings out there,so don't let my opinion p
Sabrina
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it

This series has been on my TBR for what feels like forever and I kept skipping it even though I was hearing amazing things about it. So clearly I'm crazy and someone needs to put me in the looney bin.

I really enjoyed reading about Stanton and Sofia, and I liked the sexual tension that was present throughout the majority of the book. It was a little bit like a friends-to-lovers story and I loved that about these two characters. That they stayed friends through the whole book and there wasn't much
Mo
Aug 23, 2014 added it
DNF. Not going to rate. Total disappointment. I knew there was a reason I did not pick this up when it was released. Loved the second book, will probably try the third book but this one, sorry. We are supposed to like HIM. Fucking asshole of the highest order .... and I usually like assholes. Not for me!!
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
Stanton comes from a very small town in Mississippi...a town he has been dying to get out of. Everything's been going as planned until...it doesn't but that doesn't slow him down unbelievably.

The story starts with filling us in on Stanton's history and then we're moved on to the present, ten years later, and a very grown up Stanton. A Stanton that has his cake and eats it too...and wants it to stay that way. Unfortunately, not everyone agrees.

I quite enjoyed Stanton but it was hard to reconcil
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦

Yeah, yeah, I know I'm about a year late to the party... but I'm going to review it anyways :)

This is a story about two lawyers, who work together... and fuck together. We get to read about their relationship progress from friends with benefits to lovers.

Stanton is a southern charmer and possesses a fine physique with a bedroom voice. Unfortunately, he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer (if you know what I mean) when it comes to reading females. Or having a lot of common sense in regards t
AJ
4.5 Hilariously sexy, but still heartfelt and romantic, stars

Emma Chase has done it again! Book 1 in her new series, The Legal Briefs, she has given us a smart, funny, romantic and sexy story featuring a jerk-ish but loveable hero, a strong, intelligent and relatable heroine, lots of laughs, a beautiful and passionate romance that builds in intensity and just the right amount of drama to make the story heartfelt. I loved it!

Young love is strong. First love is powerful. But what you don’t know w
  • Last Call (Cocktail, #4.5)
  • Licked (L.A. Liaisons, #1)
  • Dirty Rowdy Thing (Wild Seasons, #2)
  • Until It's Right
  • Remind Me (Chasing Fire, #1)
  • The Home Court Advantage (Lawyers in Love, #2)
  • Forked (Frenched, #2)
  • Darker Water (Once and Forever, #1)
  • Everywhere and Every Way (Billionaire Builders, #1)
  • Sizzle (Sizzle, #1)
  • Playing with Trouble (Capital Confessions, #2)
  • Manwhore (Manwhore, #1)
  • Hero (Hero, #1)
  • Friction
  • Suddenly One Summer
  • Breaking Shaun (Breaking Free, #2)
  • The Spiral Down (The Fall Up, #2)
New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author Emma Chase writes contemporary romantic comedies filled with heat, heart and laugh-out-loud humor. Her stories are known for their clever banter, sexy, swoon-worthy moments, and hilariously authentic male POV’s. Emma’s novels have been translated in over twenty languages around the world.

Emma lives in New Jersey with her amazing husband, two awesome
More about Emma Chase

The Legal Briefs (3 books)
  • Sustained (The Legal Briefs, #2)
  • Appealed (The Legal Briefs, #3)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cowboy Bold (Longhorn Canyon, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Love Letter
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Provocative (White Lies Duet, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“Young love is strong. First love is powerful. But what you don’t know when you’re young—what you can’t know—is how long life actually is. And the only dependable thing about it, besides death and taxes, is change.” 24 likes
“In third grade I thought I loved her - by sixth grade, I was sure of it” 17 likes