Start by marking “Reasons for Faith: Philosophy in the Service of Theology” as Want to Read:
Reasons for Faith: Philosophy in the Service of Theology

Reasons for Faith: Philosophy in the Service of Theology

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Sets forth a Christian approach to thinking philosophically. Identifies the Christian position as the consistent, cogent, and reasonable one offering solutions to the problems posed.
Published November 1st 2006 by P & R Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Reasons for Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reasons for Faith

Paul
Aug 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Paul by: pmanat@gmail.com
Reasons for Faith is Scott Oliphint's (O, hereafter) foray into a Reformed approach to philosophy of religion (PR, hereafter). He represents the presuppositionalist school. Though he barely mentions Van Til, "his fingerprints are on every page." Since Van Til merely claimed to stand on the shoulders of the giants of the Reformed faith, O represents traditional Reformed orthodoxy, as is seen by his copious quoting and footnoting of men like Calvin, Turretin, and Vermigli. O also relies heavily on ...more
Craig French
Nov 04, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm not a huge fan of Oliphint's writing style. This is a somewhat dense book with shining moments interspersed. While broadening the Van Tilian version of presuppositionalism, Oliphint also works at rebranding it as well. I'm not necessarily opposed to that, but the word "covenantal" is really being bludgeoned to death lately, as well as "ectypal"...and their use abounds throughout.

I would have enjoyed more interaction with postmodernism. At one point he dismissed it rather flippantly while el
Jacob Aitken
While I'm no longer in the presup camp, I did enjoy this book and it's probably the best presup represenative out there. O deals with some of the toughest challenges from analytic philosophy.
Nathan
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy, religion
Reading this book felt like a journey through the woods where I was lost most of the time. I'm not well-versed in philosophy or theology. The ideal reader of this work is meant to be already familiar with the definitions of many Latin terms and many of the philosophical arguments for and against the Christian positions generally, and the Reformed positions more specifically.

I, dear reader, was not the ideal reader. So there was a lot of Googling, reading the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy,
Juan Reyes
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was a difficult read. In my opinion, the book is too scholarly to be taken up by a lay person. The author interacts with a lot of people in this book, including well known philosophers throughout history (e.g., Plato, Aristotle, and Aquinas). Because of this the book can be a bit tedious to read at times.

The author seeks throughout the book to develop a Christian philosophy that is faithful to Scripture, above all. He comes from a Reformed background, drawing heavily on thinkers like J
John
Apr 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a difficult book to review... partly because it is such a thick read, partly because Oliphint's goals are so lofty.
In RFF, Oliphint sets forth "A Christian approach to thinking philosophically" (ix), but to even get to that point Oliphint first works apologetically to build a defense for faith itself, God, and the Christian conception of God.

For those familiar with VanTil, Oliphint's book is a helpful exploration of a VanTillian (Reformed) philosophical perspective built from the ground
Justin Mccurry
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent survey of philosophy and religion ancient and contemporary, and excellent application of The biblical and the theological to the philosophical conceptions. Great service done to the church in this book. I appreciate Dr. Oliphint's informative and engaging thought in this work. I could never put it down! Thanks the LORD that we have teachers who can give us the tools we need to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ!
Eric Molicki
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: theology
This was a difficult read for not a lot of benefit. I was predisposed to want to like this work, but I found the author's dense exploration of the philosophical field's relationship to theology to be... unnecessarily dense and with little insight. While there was nothing I disagreed with in the end, there was also nothing I really gained as well.
Jeff Boettcher
Sep 03, 2012 rated it liked it
A really helpful presuppositional apologetic for the priority of theology and how philosophy helpful, but subordinate role. The writing style was a little hard to follow at times and practical application was almost completely absent. However, I think this book would be an excellent resource for its intended audience- Christians in the field of philosophy.
Kyle Oliphint
Nov 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Tough sledding, but very good.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
342078
Dr. K. Scott Oliphint Is professor of Apologetics and Systematic Theology at Westminster Theological Seminary. He is a graduate of West Texas State University (B.A., 1978) and Westminster (M.A.R., 1983; Th.M, 1984; Ph.D., 1994). An ordained minister in the Orthodox Presbyterian Church, Dr. Oliphint served in pastoral ministry in Texas before coming to Westminster in 1991. He is the author of numer ...more
More about K. Scott Oliphint...