Start by marking “Girls Who Choose God” as Want to Read:
Girls Who Choose God

Girls Who Choose God

From Eve to Esther, from the Samaritan woman at the well to the widow with her two mites, many women in the Bible have made courageous choices. All through the ages, women have chosen to help, to solve problems, to stand up for others, to strengthen families, and to follow God no matter what. Girls Who Choose God invites young readers (and those who love them) to make impo ...more
Published August 24th 2014 by Deseret Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Girls Who Choose God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls Who Choose God

Jenny's
I can't begin to count the numerous times I have heard  durogatory comments about Eve. From the time I was a little girl through adulthood  I occasionally heard jokes, parodies, and  slander about Eve and her daughters (my sex in general). I didn't grow up in a particularly religious family. There was nothing that countered those impressions I developed early on. This was simply what I saw and heard out in the world. At a young age I got the idea I was somehow inferior, and lacking judgement. Th ...more
Krista
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
I absolutely love this book! I'm using this book as my spine this month for my homeschooling bible lessons. My kids adore the illustrations and learning more about the women in the bible! Such a spectacular read for adults, as well as, children.
Julie
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lately, when I've been studying the scriptures, I've been looking specifically for when women are mentioned and how their lives and examples might apply to me. I think the women of the Bible are so interesting because there's such a wide diversity of positions with queens mentioned, all the way down to slaves. There are mothers, women who long to be mothers, sisters, cousins, and friends. The women of the Bible are truly worthy of study.

The new book, Girls Who Choose God, Stories of Courageous
Katie W
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved the way each story was set up. A woman from the Bible was introduced and a brief synopsis of her story was given in a very simple way. At the end of the page, a choice was given--she could do this or she could do that. The next page told what that particular woman chose to do. A question was then asked about a situation or choice the reader has made. The questions always had to do with the story and was a great way to personalize things to the reader. I read this aloud with my two younge ...more
Heather
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-wishlist
In a world where children will be forced to make some hard decisions, Girls Who Choose God gives them examples of women from the Bible to look up to and emulate. With stunning hand painted illustrations by Kathleen Peterson this book is a work of art. My children are still a bit young to truly enjoy them, but we will be using it as a read aloud and Sunday School tool. The authors highlight strong women and ask readers a question at the end of each story. A wonderful addition to your library and ...more
Roma Jones
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am devoting this year to studying women in scripture so I was really really excited when I opened this book up on Christmas. The lack of women's stories and voices in scripture have always bothered me so when I found out about this book I was ecstatic to share and empower with all the young girls in my life with their stories. Though the stories in this book are simplified I loved the way they were presented and told. And the illustrations are absolutely magnificent. I will be holding on to th ...more
Lynn
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
My daughter and son-in-law gave me this book for Christmas because they know how much I enjoy inspiring children's books. I loved this book. It is filled with stories from the Bible of women who've made courageous choices. After each story, there's a question that opens up a discussion with your child about making good choices. I highly recommend it for parents looking for a quality Christian book for their child.
Sara Snarr
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best religious children's books I've come across. Lovely inspired drawings. Thoughtfully chosen and presented stories. We don't often talk about courageous faithful women of God in scripture. Here are a few worth knowing.
Tiana
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is must-have. I love the message and the illustrations.
Segullah
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Now, I don’t take umbrage with the Book of Mormon not having many named women. I understand it was a different time, culture, age. What I take umbrage with is myself– I had completely missed all the women, though I have read the Book of Mormon more than a dozen times.

Why did I miss the women? Simply because they often are not named? Because they are not shown as the lead role in the story? We need to get better at recognizing and honoring women’s participation in the God’s work… and
Antoinette Scully
This is really hard for me to rate this book due to my religious bias. I will say I liked it but completely shocked by the framing of each story. On face value, the artwork is amazing and each woman is depicted as strong, gentle, and wise.
Anna
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mormon-studies
Another excellent book about women in the scriptures - this time featuring women in the Bible. Again, this is the perfect book for a baptism or for any LDS children who want to learn more about women in the Bible.
Catherine
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a good picture book for helping children learn more about brave, righteous women in the Bible.
Jessica
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Unique book focusing on women of the bible. Set in a format to learn and ask questions. Beautiful art.
Jennifer Strong
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book highlights the courageous women in the Bible. Though their stories have always been available, this book makes these women and their incredible stories truly accessible. From Eve to Deborah to Mary and Martha the courageous actions of each woman are presented. Each page gives a short synopsis of the events occurring in each woman's life and presents the reader with choices she could make. The next page gives the end of her story and the courageous choice she made followed by a discussi ...more
Emily
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When this book first came out, I snagged a copy to give my niece for her birthday, only to find out that her mom had the same idea and had already purchased one for her.

I was thrilled. Because that meant I got to keep it!

Girls Who Choose God: Stories of Courageous Women from the Bible is exquisite. I love how each woman's story is given full attention, from well-known women like Eve and Mary to unnamed women like the Samaritan woman at the well. For each woman, the authors lay out her dilemma,/>Girls
Melanie
Each of the stories in this book is briefly summarized and then ends with two choices, one of them being better than the other. When you turn the page, you read the "rest of the story" and find out what each woman's choice was and how that affected her life. There is then a question that is asked which you can ponder and/or discuss.

I read this with my children (even my son) and we all loved it! We broke it up into two days so we could take our time and discuss some of the questions. Some of the
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
This is a beautiful book. Girls Who Choose God features girls/women from the New and Old Testaments in the Bible. Eleven stories are featured, but not all are well-known.

The stories are simply told. Each story is two pages in length with beautiful and simple illustrations. I loved how each woman reached a pivotal decision and chose the better part. The author's point out that they could have taken the easy path, yet they chose to follow God and how their lives were blessed. Some even saved other's
Exponent II
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Girls Who Choose God is a book I wish I’d had as a child, and am thrilled to have for my children. Featuring 11 women from the Bible, this lovely book was conceived when my dear friend Bethany’s three-year-old daughter asked her, “Mom, where are the girls?” when looking through her cartoon book of scripture stories. Bethany wanted her daughter to know not only were girls there, but they have stories that are stirring in their boldness, unconventionality, morality, and dedication to changing the ...more
Kristine
I bought Girls Who Choose God based on many other reviews I'd seen. The authors chose women's stories from the bible (a few if whom I hadn't even heard of the names), they tell a sweet, short summary to the point that each woman is confronted with a choice. The next page tells the rest of the story. After each story is a question to ask out loud, "when have you helped someone in need?" Or. "When was a time you chose to listen to words if Christ?"

Really these discussion questions tie
Dawn
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book for an honest review,

Girls Who Choose God is full of stories of women from the Bible from the Creation to the Resurrection. Each of these women made a difficult choice and the authors ask which would you do?

At the end of each story is the scripture that that story was based on. There are also beautiful and colorful pictures to go along with each story.

This is a great way for children to learn about some of the women of the B
Destiny
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely book for young children depicting women in the scriptures. I like that they did not take artistic liberties with the stories and kept them to what is actually told in the scriptures in a format easy for children to understand. I enjoyed them pointing out that each woman had a choice she could take and then asking if the reader has ever had to make a similar choice, as it makes it easier to liken the stories to one's own life.

I was not a big fan of the art. I thought
Rachel
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love that there's a book by Mormon women about women in the Bible. Each woman has a brief explanation about who she was and what decision she made to follow God. The interpretations are unabashedly Mormon--Eve for instance, is described as choosing to leave the Garden of Eden to have a family. Deborah's summary doesn't have any tent stakes in it, but I guess I can forgive that. The art is lovely and I'd like to think it's more accurate that all these women had dark hair.
Christi
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, own, church
Four stars for identifying and telling the stories of women in scripture, but really only three because it's so simplified and focused on us, not them. I liked the questions at the end of each story, but since the stories are only one page each they are necessarily simplified and sometimes didn't do justice (I felt) to the heroines. That being said, four stars because I'm reading it to my girls slowly and it's made for some fantastic conversation. We need more books like this!
Jen
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Girls Who Choose God tells beautiful vignettes of biblical girls and women who chose God in challenging situations. It's a visually stunning and well structured picture book, with questions at the end of each story that challenge the readers to think about their own lives and choices. This is a bold and compelling book that encourages every young reader to grow up and be deliberately and courageously faithful.

Kim Woodbury
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think every Christian girl should have this beautiful book in her home! The stories of women in the Bible are told in an accessible, uplifting way that helped me think about them in a new light. In a world where there is a lack of faithful role models, this book holds up these women in the Bible as examples of courage and righteousness. The lovely paintings bring color and energy to every page. This book helped renew my determination to be a girl who chooses God and I loved it!
Lynette
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I saw an ad for this book and, while killing time in a bookstore last night, I read it. It is so great to have a picture book all about girls\women in the bible. One of the stories was completely new to me. I love that they point out the choices they had to make and the reader is involved when they are asked a question at the end of every story. I wish I had a daughter to read it to. I ended up buying it for myself and maybe I can share it with my nieces one day. Love it!
Jenny
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
My girls and I loved this beautiful picture book filled with stories of 11 women in the Bible that chose to do what is right. It tells each story simply and then asks the reader to think of a way to also choose to follow God in a similar way. I especially liked that ending question after each story...how can you be honest? How can you show courage? My girls and I stopped to talk about many of them.
Christine
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book combines striking illustrations with powerful, straightforward summaries of bible stories featuring women. I love the focus on courageous action - both in the bible retellings and in the questions directed to the reader. Such great examples of hard but good choices, such as to stand up for others, to sacrifice, or to solve problems peacefully.
Caitlin
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
My sister-in-law recommended this book, thanks Pam! This is a wonderful book that reminds us of the courageous women who choose God and teaches us how we can choose God too!

My favorite stories are Eve, Mahlah and her sisters, Deborah, Samaritan Woman at the Well, A Healed Woman, and Mary Magdalene.
When I was in college, my horoscope told me that I would be a “ballerina, bull-doze driver, trapeze artist.” I was a little bummed since I had planned on being a desert-princess-turned-bandit.

The truth is, I have always been a shape-shifter.

Business-woman, river guide, window-washer, waitress, Forest Service archeologist technician assistant, graduate student, backpacker, d