Start by marking “Leading Snowflakes” as Want to Read:
Leading Snowflakes

Leading Snowflakes

Leading Snowflakes offers you proven tools and practices for improving your management skills that you can implement – starting today.
Published 2013

To ask other readers questions about Leading Snowflakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leading Snowflakes

Start your review of Leading Snowflakes
Renan Ivo
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Even though it is targeted for engineering managers, it is a good overview of tools and behaviors someone at a leading role in a software engineering team should know.
Richard
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Overall this is an ok book but there are a couple of nuggets in it which are quite useful.

Initially there is the highlight the difference between makers and managers – the role of the manager being to amplify the team. It highlights the importance of balancing making and managing and the need for concentration in the making zone. The key for managers is not to measure your output but the output of the team.

When making something we can review it quickly, such as by running unit test on our code.
Daniel
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book. It has a structure that is very easy to follow and definitely a quick read. And even though I'm not a manager or planning to become one, there's a lot of actionable advice in there for me as an engineer.
João Quitério
Mar 05, 2016 rated it liked it
[audiobook] Oren's newsletter is my default reading list for the weekend so I had high expectations. The book has some nice pointers but I've found it a bit too lightweight for my taste.
Marko
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: management
Pretty generic and overall a dull read. There are some useful tips, but nothing you couldn't figure out yourself.
Leonardo Faria
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book shows how to plan better your actions, how to organize better your day. If you are working as a engineer manager or tech lead for a while you probably follow already a few techniques but this book is still very useful.
Michael
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Like many other reviewers I'm subscribed to Oren's newsletter, which always has some good reading recommendations. However, this book was a bit hit and miss for me, it feels a bit like a collection of blog posts on different topics assembled into a book. Not bad, but not groundbreaking either.
Matt McCormick
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: software, management
A few interesting ideas but not really worth the price
Andre Lo
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great for new software engineering managers. Will refer again in the future. Each chapter is a manageable chunk.
Mathias Meyer
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mngmnt
Excellent and actionable book with some great insight as to how to manage a team of engineers. Lots to take away for my personal endeavours, and lots to think about and work through.

Highly recommended if you manage/lead (or aim to) a team of engineers.
Daniel
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: management
Leitura fácil e um bom equilíbrio entre profundidade e abrangência.

O foco do livro é no que fazer quando se ver em um cargo gerencial, mas não tem muito sobre o que fazer quando se ver em um cargo gerencial e as coisas não funcionam muito bem. Ou seja, é só o caminho feliz.
Michael
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Pretty quick read with quite a few concrete solutions and actionable items. Especially liked the section on “5 tactics to involve our teammates in building trust with other teams” - I've seen many examples over the years where those actions solidify the culture of a team.
Dominic Umbeer
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really inspiring and helpful book for engineering managers. It contains useful hands-on advices and suggestions. The book is also well organised so that you can read every chapter separately without any prerequisites.
Irfaan
Dec 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Short sharp read, with some mild aha moments and a couple of gtd flavored approaches. Useful, not inspirational.
Sebastian
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Easily made to one of the few books I'll recommend to any engineer who is new to/thinking about leading people.
Vova Mihura
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good book for a newly baked team leads.
Nikola Brežnjak
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good with a lot of practical steps one can start using!
Devon
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
self note: High impact book for first time managers of other people
Nuruddin Ashr
Practical and easy to follow.. from engineers for engineers.
Yaroslav
Sep 04, 2015 marked it as to-read
39 dollars for ebook?
Rolandas Razma
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Easy read
Igor Mandrigin
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nice little book about being a technical leader. Short, but quite a thought-provoking one in a very practical way.
Jason Fischer

• Multipliers: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smarter
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • Nine Lies About Work: A Freethinking Leader’s Guide to the Real World
  • Collaborative Intelligence: Thinking with People Who Think Differently
  • Introducing Game Theory: A Graphic Guide (Introducing...)
  • The Startup Way: Making Entrepreneurship a Fundamental Discipline of Every Enterprise
  • Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel By Changing the Way You Think
  • The Good Parts of AWS
  • Type-Driven Development with Idris
  • Haskell Programming From First Principles
  • Designing Organizations: An Executive Guide to Strategy, Structure, and Process
  • Unfuck Your Brain: Using Science to Get Over Anxiety, Depression, Anger, Freak-Outs, and Triggers

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »