Start by marking “Bird of Chaos (The Harpy's Curse, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bird of Chaos (The Harpy's Curse, #1)

Bird of Chaos (The Harpy's Curse, #1)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  13 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
“The tension is this story is really extraordinary. Very thought-provoking and intense. It’s really fabulous work.” Kate O’Donnell.

The final Tempest rides on the power of a storm. It blasts the cold of winter and burns like the summer sun. It spares no one.

Verne Golding the Third is heir to the Tibutan throne and destined to stop the Tempest. But Tibuta is fractured by c
Published 2014 by Crooked Keep

To ask other readers questions about Bird of Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bird of Chaos

Star Bookworm
Dec 25, 2014 rated it liked it
I picked this novel because the author followed me on Twitter. I honestly try to get the authors who follow me into my to-read pile, and I am really hoping to find a new Australian author to replace the fabulous Sara Douglass. The review, however, will be very mixed. I tried to take some notes after I finished reading to make sure I captured everything today (now that I have a full computer back to write my review). What I found actually managed to surprise me. I had more items in the con column ...more
D
Sep 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Verne is heir to the throne of a world led by women with a complex geography and population. We see this world through Verne’s eyes, her aspirations, her dilemmas and her loyalties, all constantly put to the test. As the story unfolded my knowledge of the major and minor players built up, increasing my pleasure in this fast paced yet thought provoking story. I loved the short but effective descriptions -the ball goers with muddy hems and feathers sticking to their faces and am fascinated the way ...more
Beth
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very intriguing fantasy world. In particular, it was refreshing to read about a place with a complete reversal of the usual societal norms in relation to gender and who holds power. The struggles and internal insecurities of the main character, Verne, in relation to her place in her family and the insight she developed on account of such conflict made this novel a definite page turner for me. At about two thirds of the way through the Bird of Chaos it became very difficult to put it down of a ni ...more
Dave Trindall
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bird of Chaos is a story of the deterioration of a family and a nation. It's follows Verne’s attempt to overthrow her mom, who is the queen, in the hope of saving her people.

Verne goes to some extreme lengths to put an end to her mother’s cruelty.

Some of the book is sad and portrays a situation that sometimes seems hopeless but it is also philosophical and at times quite insightful. I was surprised by how well written it is for someone’s debut novel. I would highly recommend it.
Ana Bonduki
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
It took me 6 month to finish this book not only because I'm on a book club and have to read other books but also because I was really enjoying coming back to Verne's world and get lost In Tibuta.
3 great things to explore here, a matriarch world, a mother and daughter rivalry and a love story.
Ange
Oct 27, 2014
Emma
Sep 01, 2014
Susie Mander
Aug 28, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
J03w
Aaisha
Aug 26, 2017
Katie McManus
Feb 10, 2018
Susie has been published in Australian Doctor, the Hills Shire Times and the District Reporter and was recently shortlisted for the AlburyCity Short Story Award.

Susie writes to explore philosophical ideas believing fiction provides a vehicle to examine the human condition through scenarios that are often more memorable and less prescriptive than non-fiction.

You can sign up to Susie’s sporadic news
More about Susie Mander...