Start by marking “Vanquished (Enslaved Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vanquished (Enslaved Series, #1)

Vanquished

(Enslaved #1)

When Hana’s mom is diagnosed with the mutation, she confesses to Hana she doesn’t know what will happen if she dies. Fischer, a medic at the hospital, implies there is Someone who can help–but religion’s been outlawed. Hana embarks on a dangerous journey, seeking the answers Fischer insists are available. But when the truth is uncovered, will Hana stick to what she's been ...more
Published November 22nd 2014 by Pelican Book Group (first published November 19th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Vanquished, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vanquished

Start your review of Vanquished (Enslaved Series, #1)
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“When Hana's mom is diagnosed with the mutation, she confesses to Hana she doesn't know what will happen if she dies. Fischer, a medic at the hospital, implies there is Someone who can help-but religion's been outlawed. Hana embarks on a dangerous journey, seeking the answers Fischer insists are available. But when the truth is uncovered, will Hana stick to what she's been taught? Or will she join the rebellion and take a stand against an oppressive society?”

Series: Book #1 in
Rick Starkey
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Katie Clark gives us a glimpse into a future that could one day be our own. Though most measure today’s dystopian novels against The Hunger Games or Divergent, Vanquished can stand on its own against either. Katie has asked the ultimate what if. What if God doesn’t exist because we have never been allowed to learn about God or Jesus?

Life is good, but when Hana’s mother becomes sick with the mutation, and whose medical allowance is depleted, where can Hana turn for help? She hears talk about a
Ashlee Willis
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fresh voice and style, and a riveting story. The story is hard to put down, and has a great faith element that gives a wonderful new angle to the general dystopian novel. We definitely need more novels like Vanquished!! Looking forward to seeing where the series goes.
H.L. Wegley
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A unique spin on the themes of dystopian literature
Welcome to the Dystopian States of America, circa 2250. Natural disasters and a war have wiped out a large part of the population and much of the technology. In a 3-caste society where God has been outlawed, high-school-age Hana must cope with a mother who has cancer, a government whose supposedly "well-intentioned" policies are so repressive that she cannot search for the truth about the deepest issues of life. She has been squeezed into the
Mary Hamilton
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian
Books that make me want to read more are the ones that earn five stars from me. I definitely want to read the next book in Katie Clark's Enslaved series. I'm not terribly familiar with dystopian literature. The only other such stories I've read are the Hunger Games series. This book's setting was highly reminiscent of Hunger Games, but without the the gory plot. Our main character is Hana, a young girl poised to graduate and dreaming of working in the government to promote a better life for all ...more
Alandra
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
While I am a big fan of dystopian novels such as the Matched trilogy and The Giver series, I have never read one with such gripping story-themes as the horrors of cancer, teen pregnancy, abortion, poverty, drug addiction, the silently growing rebellion and boldness of a young girl, the search for Truth, or such a sweet and poignant love story. Katie Clark beautifully wove all of these elements and more into an exciting first book of a trilogy. I was struck by how familiar and prevalent the ...more
Stacey
Wow! At first this story unnerved me because like the main character, Hana, my own mother had the mutation (cancer) and her prognosis was not good. I found myself identifying with Hana immediately; her fear of losing her mother, feeling overwhelmed with school, work and home responsibilities, wondering if doctors were doing all they could to help my mother, etc. This connection drew me to Hana's character and into the story. Once there, I could hardly put the book down. Hana's ideal life is ...more
Lisa Godfrees
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a quick read for me. I wanted to know what was going on in this futuristic American society so I kept flipping pages. This is your typical dystopian story but with an element of faith.

Hana's mom is in the hospital with a terminal disease (sounds like cancer). Hana is about to graduate and be Tested so she can take her place in society but circumstances make her question whether the people who rule her society (Greaters) are ultimately looking out for the good of the Middles (Hana and
Gail Kamer
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you want a book that you can not put down and is full of mystery, this is the book for you. Blend Hunger Games with Divergent, add possibilities based on current events and you have a futuristic setting that is realistic. The main character is looking forward to her life after high school. But during the last few weeks before graduation, strange events make her question her world and what adults have told her. Along with her mother, many of her friends keep disappearing. Where are they? What ...more
Yanting Gueh
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Vanquished" bears a steadily engaging plot about Hana Norfolk, a Middle who is about to sit for her Test that will decide if she ends up as a Greater, Middle or Lesser. Her mother is in the hospital because she has the 'mutation.' Her best friend, Jamie, is in deep trouble for breaking the laws and Hana finds herself in an emotional tussle having to choose between Fischer, the kindhearted medic who tells her about God, and Keegan, her childhood friend who has left for his career-training. It's ...more
Sherry Alexander
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This Christian dystopian is a thriller in every sense of the word. Hana is faced with so many changes at times it is har not to feel sorry for her, However, her strength to find out what is really going on keeps you reading and reading. I loved this book and Hana's resolve to find out what the Greaters are doing and how she can help her mother and her friends. I am buying the next books in the series tomorrow!
Ginger Solomon
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading, as this is outside of my normal genre, but I loved it. It drew me in from the beginning, and as I type this I continue thinking about it. I loved the characters and the fact that life wasn't always easy for them. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
***I received this book from the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review.
Cynthia
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Although not a regular reader of dystopian fiction, I appreciated and enjoyed this novel. After a slower start in the first few chapters, this story took off and kept me engaged until the surprise ending, which is an intriguing setup for the next book of the series. I look forward to reading more from Ms. Clark.
Katie Clark
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Set in a future where poverty and sickness are rampant, Hana embarks on a scary and sometimes dangerous journey to find the answers both she and her mother need to survive. What she finds is not at all what she expected, though, and she realizes she's not finding the right answers because she hasn't been asking the right questions to begin with.
Laura A. Grace
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story was so good! I really enjoyed that it was in first point of view and how I got to see all that is going on in Hana’s mind. Her struggles with her Mom, government, and “religion” were very real to me which made her a relatable character.

I am completely amazed at how Katie weaved the Gospel into “Vanquished” without sounding preachy. She very clearly leaves no doubt about whom Jesus is and what He did for mankind.

The world-building was excellent and I had no problem imaging Hana’s
Laurie Lucking
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-ya
Vanquished got the Enslaved series off to a very strong start! Hana was easy to relate to and root for as she dealt with her mother's illness and the unsettling questions about her society that arose from it. Clark did a great job introducing the love triangle in a way that made Hana's predicament very understandable, and I loved that she didn't shy away from tough issues, yet managed to keep it a very clean read. When I got to the end I simply had to keep reading - I bought the next book the ...more
Angie Paule
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am in love with the world Katie Clark has created! Enslaved is fresh, the characters are memorable and easy to fall in love with. Ask yourself, what would this world be like if religion was outlawed? What would the people be like if they have never heard of God? A world where people are classified and ranked, where you are tested and told what your occupation would be. One girl decides there has to be more. One boy shows her that there is a God. Their worlds are forever changed.
Kara
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know what to expect with this book, but the cover got my attention and the story started out really good. Hana is determined to save her sick mom who has something called a mutation, by everything described and how her mom suffers makes me believe it's some sort of cancer. When Hanna realizes her mom will not get fair treatment, she hears about a true God and being saved through faith and decides to share that with her dying mom.

Couldn't stand Hanna's father and was even glad when the
Angel Huckstep
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Katie Clark's Enslaved Series reminded me why I love to read. She has an unbelievable talent of mixing Christianity, romance, and action into an unforgettable futuristic story. What I love about her books is that they are completely clean and I don't have to worry about what I might come across while reading them. All of this to say, if you want a good book to read, pick up this one. You won't be disappointed.
Glenn Haggerty
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Vanquished, with its chillingly plausible dystopian future, will challenge readers to ponder faith and recognize the freedom and privileges enjoyed in American society today. This freedom, which was hard fought for, can be too easily lost, and how will our society fare when times get tough and tyranny takes hold? The plot is not resolved at the conclusion and therefore interested readers need to be prepared to obtain the 2nd book.
Daphne Self
It is a time of Greaters, Middles, and Lessers...until that time is challenged by a few....

Dystopian novels are one of the more popular novels. Dystopian Young Adult novels seem to be the rage among them. Vanquished delivers not only a truly unique dystopian tale, but one that is full of true young adult material.

Many books leave the reader questioning if he/she really read a book told through a teenager's eyes. The angst may be there, but where's the character growth, the battle between
J.F.
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Vanquished, reminiscent of The Giver by Lois Lowery, takes place in a seemingly perfect futuristic society where people are separated into three classes: the Greaters, the Middles, and the Lessers. But is it perfect? The three classes live in different communities. If a citizen of a higher status steps out of line, the government will pull them from their family, demote them to a Lesser status, and move them to a Lesser city—never to be seen again.

Hana is a solid Middle citizen with dreams of
Sandra Stiles
Imagine a future where society is divided into three classes; Lessers, Middles, and the Greaters. Every dystopian society must have someone at the top who perverts life. In this case the Greaters have control of everything that affects the Middles and Lessers including medicine that could cure people. They have also outlawed religion. In this story we meet Hana who's mother has become deathly ill. She has cancer. Hana's society is so controlled she has a curfew, isn't allowed to date, and has ...more
Fire
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Vanquished is book one of the Enslaved Series. This Dystopian series is set in a time where the unwanted and those who don't follow the laws are sent away as lessers. There is a mutation that ravages some people ultimately claiming their life, yet there is a cure that the societies leaders keep for themselves and don't let just anyone have. Religion is outlawed and your life is controlled by others.

Hana's mother has contracted the mutation and Hana can't imagine life without her mother. By
Megan Besing
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
It took a few chapters to get settled into Hana’s world and personality, (Which is fairly common among dystopian novels) but once things started happening to her best friend, things really picked up. I found myself embracing Hana and her life, her concerns, and needing to find out how things were going to work out.

I enjoyed the cancer and the possible romance subplots. And I really liked how Hana is trying to figure out who God is. (A refreshing subplot that most dystopian novels are without.)

Runningrabbit
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, romance
This kind of went OK. The characters failed to generate too well, going for a sudden juxtaposition, considering the reserved nature of the main female character, this didn't flow gradually enough.

Then imagine my shock when about half way through enters stage left, none other than the God Squad. It was all a bit sudden, but I guess if you're bent that way, it wasn't a bad fantasy novel.

All up, it's a Big Brother is Watching You novel. I dumped it, so I don't know whether God saved the day.
Tanya
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. At first it wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing either. I felt like I had a little bit of a hard time understanding the world Hana lives in & then also I felt like the pacing was a little slow. Like the plot of the story was interesting, I just was ready for it to get on with it. I felt like it wasn't really until chapter 34 that I felt the pace pick up a little. But overall it's not like it was hard to read, and like I said it was interesting. I really liked the ending ...more
Tanya Stowe
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
World building takes time so the story started a bit slow but Ms. Clark very quickly introduced an intriguing mystery...then another and another until Hana Norfolk's simple life is mired in questions, doubts and fears. The only way out is to find the answers and that puts her directly in the path of her world's leaders. Great characterization drive this story and will definitely lead you into the sequel!
Claire Banschbach
Nov 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I was very intrigued by the premise of a Christian based dystopian novel. It was really well done but occasionally monotonous in its YA/dystopian themes. There is a little bit of a twist to the ending that I didn't really see coming. It had me interested enough that I might check out the second in the series sometime in the future.
Sporiferous

• Dove Strong
  • The Curious Prayer Life Of Muriel Smith
  • Autumn Hearts: Five Sweet Romances
  • Day of Reckoning
  • Westward Hope: An Oregon Trail Historical Romance (Western Dreams)
  • Trapped
  • The Fairytale
  • Devotion
  • To Love and to Cherish (Grace Kitchen Book 2)
  • Bella Natale! A Florentine Christmas Romance
  • Hearts Communion (Woodland Church, #3)
  • When Angels Cry
  • Forgiveness
  • Hearts Surrender (Woodland Church, #2)
  • Fateful Fall (Worthington Investigations Romantic Susp)
Katie Clark’s published works include multiple children’s books, including A Tour of Your Muscular and Skeletal Systems, Animal Actors, Police Horses, and more. She is anticipating the release of her first YA science fiction novel, Vanquished. She is available for classroom visits and Skype chats to discuss her books. You can learn more at her website, www.katieclarkwrites.com.

Enslaved (3 books)
  • Deliverance (Enslaved Series, #2)
  • Redeemer (Enslaved Series, #3)