Start by marking “Ghost Camera” as Want to Read:

Ghost Camera

A small number of cameras have the ability to capture ghosts on film. This gift comes at a steep price; the ghosts are resentful and hungry, and the cameras offer them a rare chance to reach their favourite prey… humans.

Jenine didn’t know any of this when she found an abandoned Polaroid camera in a lighthouse. At first she assumes the ghostly shapes in the photos are a
Published July 29th 2014 by Darcy Coates

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Camera, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Camera

Start your review of Ghost Camera
Shaina
This is a creepy novella. I read it late at night and I do own one of these type of cameras and have been taking photos with it for my niece. Mine is a more modern model, but still. Creepy.

My kindle highlights -some of them might be spooky and/or spoilerish. You have been warned.
Ginger Woods
No. NO. F*** NO! NO. NO. F*** THIS BOOK, NO!

It's broad daylight, it's 2PM and I'm freaking the F*** out!

I need to clean my house for a cookout tonight... I don't want to go ANYWHERE near the shadows of my hallway. I'm about to fling all the doors and blinds open and be like SUNSHINE EVERYWHERE BITCHES!

Don't mind me Ghosties, I am not even here.

I'm just minding my own business, please don't find me.

This book, freaked me the hell out.

So this woman finds a camera. In a creepy abandoned light
Montzalee Wittmann
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ghost Camera by Darcy Coates is an audible book I borrowed with KU. A gal finds an old Polaroid camera that takes picture with ghosts in them. Each picture gets creepier! Her and her friend try to get answers but when they do the answers its are not what they expected! Creepy!
Karen
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, ghosts
This is the first book I have read by this author and it has definitely made me want to read some more of their work. While it was not wildly scary or anything it was the type of story I would want to read during the month of October for Halloween. Things start off rather slowly and benign but start to take on a life of its own as you find out more about the camera which is the main focus of things. The characters are alright even if they are a little thin as far as who they are, you get some ...more
Dixie
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
love, love,, love this book. I love Darcy Coates and all her stuff. This one was a different breed and totally awesome. read it and then read it again and again
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary | "Empathy" - Look it up.
I'm glad I decided to give Darcy Coates a second try. Ghost Camera was almost the perfect horror novella. The creepiness starts almost instantly, and keeps ramping up. The paranormal aspect is well enough described to make you shiver and look over your shoulder. That's the great thing about short stories like this. When they're done right, they'll creep you out more than a longer book will, because they have to pack more punch in less words.

Bree and Jenine aren't described in depth, and I think
Abbie
Mar 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
The characters in this were okay, and I felt quite sorry for Jenny, as she was obviously scared.

This was an okay ghost story, which had one or two creepy moments. The length was just about right, as if it had been any longer, I would have started to feel bored.
Karen B.
Jan 25, 2015 rated it liked it
A fine ghost story

I think part of what made this story work so well was it's length. It scared me; but I think any longer woul_ have taken me beyond being scared; instead being terrified. The ending was a surprise. All all : a nice little ghost story.
Lennie Grace
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the exact kind of horror story I can get behind. Short. Creepy. Suspenseful. Just a few characters I can love right away. And just all-around perfect. It's a short little novella. Around 120-130 pages or about a 2-hour audiobook. And it's just perfect. As a writer of short horror stories and novellas (just a couple of short novels for me! :D), This is an absolutely perfect book for me.

I loved the characters, and the story was awesome. Also, our main character has 3 cats. How can I not
Boundless Book Reviews
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Once again I wasn't disappointed with Darcy Coates. She once again surprised me with a fast book that was written well and enthralling.

Janine is photographing her friends wedding when she stumbles upon a camera. She picks it up and forgets about it till she goes back and notices the pictures it produces are not normal. She becomes a target for ghosts and it becomes a life or death race to find out how to stop the ghosts.

I loved this book. None of the books I have read from Darcy are super long
Mortisha Cassavetes
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Such a creepy camera tale! I just loved it. The story follows Jenine as she finds an old polaroid camera and takes a pic. Later, she notices a ghost in the pic but once you see a ghost you will pay the price. I don't want to go into this story more as it is a novella but I highly recommend it as well all of the books written by this author.
Gemma ♕ Books_McCoy
Super short spooky ready. It had some very scary moments but was all wrapped up a bit quickly for me. A little predictable in places and the ending was cheesy.

But overall a pretty good book just nothing mind blowing.
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
Ghost Camera is quick and entertaining ghost story with a few creepy moments. Initially I had a hard time connecting to the characters (especially the protagonist Jenine) but enjoyed the overall story enough to keep listening. The cover was a bit deceiving, there was no mention of a creepy and abandoned house, but it's just an observation on my part.

While Jenine lacked liveliness and courage, I thought her best friend Bree had a more developed personality (although I have to admit the constant
Stephen Tremp
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jenine finds an old Polaroid camera. But this is no ordinary camera. It’s a ghost camera that has the ability to capture ghosts on film.

Problem is, every picture she takes opens a portal into the dimension ghosts live in, allowing them to see the user. Each successive shot opens more portals and soon the ghosts come looking for Jenine to kill her.

At first, only a few ghastly ghouls are after Jenine. But as the story unfolds and she snaps more images, hordes of ghosts spill out into our world
Rosie
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it
The overall plot was good and really creepy in places, but I think I prefer her longer stories; there just wasn't the usual plot & character development that her longer stories do so well. Coates does ghost stories so well ...more
Pam
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a nice little ghost story. I enjoyed it, and I'll be looking at her other books.
Kat
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was such a scary little novella. I read it before going to bed and that was a bit of a mistake. D:
A.R.
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the scariest Darcy book yet. The novella creeped me out. I'm usually drawn in by Coates's books because of story and character arc. I've got to say I'm pleasantly surprised--a happy accident. Will read all her books!
a.
Oct 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Short story, not a novel. No thrills and chills, only groans and yawns. Terrible dialogue. If I read "babe" one more time I was just marking it as dnf. The dialogue was just awful. This was a very quick read, but definitely not worth the time spend reading. Predictable. "happy ending". This wasn't even remotely scary.

I tried to enjoy Darcey Coates books. I really wanted to. But they are dreadful. So poorly written, terrible dialogue, poor sentence structure, either overly described with boring
Princess Godoy
(I received this book from the author at the YA Spring Fling)

First of all, if you picked up an abandon stuff and you got an eerie feeling from it. LEAVE IT ALONE!!!! Second, if there's a manifestation in that said stuff that it is haunted, again, LEAVE IT ALONE!!!! Lastly, when the ghost is now following you and you seem doomed because no ghost busters wanted to help you because apparently you're too stupid to play with the spirits in the first place, LEAVE IT THE FUCK ALONE!!!!!

If you can't
 Reading Divergence
REVIEW: GHOST CAMERA by Darcy Coates

An intriguingly vivid Supernatural about hungry, angry, ghosts; a failed, though widely-praised, paranormal investigator; and a pair of long-time best friends, GHOST CAMERA will have you checking that only.digital cameras are in your home! The theme here is dissimilar to the prior treatments I'd read or seen, when such a cursed camera either photographs those whose death is imminent, or causes the photographed to die soon. This active little Polaroid is quite
Joselyn  Raquel Moreno Burke
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In three words I loved it, this one is a jewel of horror telling, it made me nervous at night an had me double checking every move and sound around me.

A true must have in any horror lover bookshelf, Darcy do tell the best horror and suspense tales.

the plot is pretty steady and interesting, it had me turning pages and feeling anxious, it will maintain you on edge to see what is next and how it ends.

I loved the end it was cool a good ribbon after the angst so highly recommend it.
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/mini-rev...

Main character Jenine lacks personality – she’s about as interesting as a cardboard figure. Everything happens to her, and she doesn’tset anything in motion herself. Her best friend Bree is far more interesting and should’ve been the main character. The story is all right but a little predictable.
julianne
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was short and I'm glad for that, any longer and it would have spoilt the suspense. Although I have to admit I didn't like Jenine, the main character, I found myself wanting to yell at her to be proactive and not leave everything to Bree so many times. Would I recommend this? In a nutshell, NO!
Brenda
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ghost Camera

What an interesting story. I don't think I have read one quite like it. A book that can easily be read in one sitting and for me once I started reading it I had to know what the outcome would be.
Kim
Nov 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
The plot was weak, and the dialogue was absolutely awful. The author really didn’t spend any time developing the storyline or characters.
A_Bear
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghosts
Read this and other reviews on my blog at https://abearreadingabook.blogspot.com/

Despite being a novella, this is how ghost stories are done. I first stumbled on this book a few years ago before a deployment and I plowed through it late one night on ship. It had me spooked for sure and those can be some dark hallways at night. Before I found this book I had been searching for a decent ghost story, one that had actual ghost in it that were present, menacing, and not revealed to be fake at the
Jake
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
If there's one thing that this novella does unquestionably well, it's nailing the creep factor with its ghosts. Even though it's not overly long, it presents a well constructed that satisfies as well as it unsettles the reader. I particularly like how it gradually built up its scare factor until culminating with an intense and satisfying climax. As the horror becomes full blown and unrestrained, I found myself racing to the finish in stride with the speeding plot.

Although not as strong as the
Book Squirrel
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everything I look for in a horror story.

Chilling, suspenseful and macabre, this is everything I look for in a horror story. Building tension bursts into moments of fear, like waves on the ocean carrying the reader on peaks and troughs of anticipation and dread. The reader frequently finds themselves releasing their breath in relief, unaware that they’ve been holding it, only for it to happen again the next time the action of the story escalates.

The main characters are likeable and relatable,
Lorena
Oct 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
If you find an old Polaroid camera, and you take a couple of pictures that show horrible angry and menacing ghostly entities around you, what would you do? Somehow I don't think that any reasonable person would get more film and take more pictures, specially when the ghosts in the picture start reacting angrily to being photographed and you realize that they are following you around and appearing in every picture.

The plot felt forced, unnatural and the protagonists made the worst possible
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Callie (The Bayou Hauntings #1)
  • The Haunting of Beacon Hill (The Beckoning Dead, 1)
  • The Coldwater Haunting
  • Forgotten Men
  • The Haunting of Lannister Hall
  • The Haunting of Abram Mansion: A Riveting Haunted House Mystery
  • Malefic (House of Souls #2)
  • The House of Long Shadows (House of Souls #1)
  • The Nursery (The Bayou Hauntings Book 3)
  • The Splendor of Fear
  • The Haunting of Aldburn Park
  • The Purchase
  • Rookwood Asylum: Supernatural Suspense with Scary & Horrifying Monsters (Asylum Series Book 1)
  • Don't Look Back
  • Black Acres: The Complete Collection
  • The Wedding of Rachel Blaine
  • The Occupant (Afterlife Investigations, #3)
  • A House by the Sea (Winthrop House #1)
Darcy is the USA Today Bestselling author of Hunted, The Haunting of Ashburn House, Craven Manor, and more than a dozen horror and suspense titles.

She lives on the Central Coast of Australia with her family, cats, and a garden full of herbs and vegetables.

Darcy loves forests, especially old-growth forests where the trees dwarf anyone who steps between them. Wherever she lives, she tries to have a