Start by marking “Sock Architecture” as Want to Read:
Sock Architecture

Sock Architecture

Sock Architecture is perfect for both experienced and novice sock knitters. This thorough, imaginative collection of sock shapes and patterns gives you the tools to construct an astounding variety of custom socks.

All heels and toes are carefully explained and clearly photographed, and you can plug in your own numbers to work at the exact size and gauge you want. If you'd
Published September 15th 2014 by Cooperative Press (first published August 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Sock Architecture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sock Architecture

Start your review of Sock Architecture
Altivo Overo
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sock knitting enthusiasts
Recommended to Altivo by: KnitPicks
Shelves: knitting
To rephrase an old trite joke, there are two kinds of knitters: those who make socks, and those who do not. It does at times seem that the sock knitters do nothing else and talk about nothing else, while the non-sock knitters either claim that socks are "too complicated" or else "too boring" to bother with. And of course there's the fashionista who objects to spending time on socks because "no one can see them."

I like knitting socks, and enjoy wearing them. I have taught others how to knit
Erin
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book explains the basics of sock knitting, including how to figure out the correct number of stitches and lots of heels/toes. This is something I found sorely lacking when trying to find a pattern for my first pair of socks. I have the physical books, but there are a lot of links in the text. If I bought the book again, I would buy the digital copy.
Sue Smith
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book with a ton of information for those knitters who want to have some different quirks or custom sizing. Great tutorials & visuals to help too!!
Anna
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft
Received in a Goodreads Giveaway in September 2014. Thank you!

Lovely book, great patterns. It has several different methods of toe-up socks represented, which is very helpful for knitters with different styles. My mother has already put a claim to get this book after I'm done with it. She's been knitting socks for most of her life top down and with her own method. She is very interested in learning how to make them toe-up and will be choosing the method that works best for her.

The structure
gabrielle
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: textiles
The content of this book is A+. I found the presentation a bit hard to follow; I'd prefer more detailed instructions about each toe/heel option in one place, instead of having to flip back and forth between the generic instructions and the actual patterns, which contain the details.

That said, I'm bumping this up a star because this book helped me figure out a contrast heel on toe-up socks.

The author provides formulas you can use to calculate your own sock patterns based on measurements + gauge.
Julie
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Absolutely brilliant! Lara Neel explores heels, toes, and the math behind knitting beautiful cuff-down and toe-up socks that fit. The math got a bit beyond me at times, but I know with more in-depth reading I'll get it. I have plans to knit several of the cuff-down patterns, and I may even give one or two of the toe-up socks a go, too.
Jess
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Awesome sock knitting resource. Borrowed a copy from the local Knitter's Guild, plan to get my own copy soon.
Rachel Joy
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Good resource for designing sock patterns.
lover-of-good-books
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft, fanfiction, hobbies
One of the best sock knitting books I've read. I need to add this to my personal library.
Sumiko
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting-craft
Seriously: a book I want to own so that I can dip into it at need.
Greg Cohoon
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
This is, far and away, my favorite knitting book right now. Lara’s style of writing is something with which I instantly connect, and reading the book feels like I’m sitting in a room, knitting with a friend, and talking about the technicalities and nuances of knitting socks. Her style is conversational enough to be engaging, but underneath that conversational style lies a deep and precise technical exploration of all things sock knitting. Lara touches on the history of knitted socks and dives ...more
Nell
May 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: domestic-arts
Some of this book is above my skill level, and some is just above my patience level. And, I don't have problems with fit that would motivate me to experiment. It certainly is intriguing. I learned that the name of the heel I usually make is half-handkerchief. The author's recommendation for negative ease is that the sock should be 90 percent of the width and length of the foot--I knew about the width, but the length? Don't one's toes wear through?

I like that the patterns are needle-neutral and
katie
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Goes into depth about different toe and heel constructions, AND which foot shapes they work for. So much helpful information in this book. Too many knitting books don't get into the details like this, but those details are what elevate a knitted garment to the next level. HIGHLY recommended for those who like lots of technical knowledge in their reading.
Satu
There is always something new to learn about sock knitting. This book is a treasury of sock information and definitely worth every penny and much more. There is an amazing amount of different toes and heels in this book, both top down and toe up. Many of which I have never tried. I can't wait to try all the new tricks and things.
Paula
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
A comprehensive great sock book
Kara
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've been sock knitting for years, but there's always more to learn. This book is a terrific reference for sock knitters and I'm happy to have it as part of my knitting library.
Lisa LoPiccolo
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
Great Patterns & instructions.
Stephanie Stagner
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Great book!
Jane
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts
There are a few patterns in here I want to get to eventually!
Meera
Jan 02, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits
  • Strange Planet
  • World Made by Hand (World Made by Hand #1)
  • Geology of the Ice Age National Scenic Trail
  • Compass American Guides: Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks (Full-color Travel Guide)
  • The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors
  • The Ender Quartet Box Set (The Ender Quintet, #1-4)
  • The Annotated Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant
  • My Dearest Julia: The Wartime Letters of Ulysses S. Grant to His Wife A Library of America Special Publication
  • The Witch of Hebron (World Made by Hand, #2)
  • Moon Yellowstone & Grand Teton: Including Jackson Hole
  • Ruins (Pathfinder, #2)
  • Death in Yellowstone: Accidents and Foolhardiness in the First National Park
  • The Ender's Shadow Series Box Set (Shadow, #1-4)
  • Pathfinder (Pathfinder, #1)
  • The Knitter's Book of Socks: The Yarn Lover's Ultimate Guide to Creating Socks That Fit Well, Feel Great, and Last a Lifetime
  • Invictus
  • Sock Knitting Master Class: Innovative Techniques + Patterns from Top Designers
Lara Neel published over 150 free patterns in three years for the
Math4Knitters, Crafty Living blog and podcast. Now, when she’s not dreaming of more books, she’s offering select, test-knit (and/or tech-edited) patterns for sale.
Her work has also appeared in Knit Edge, Petite Purls, The Ennea Collective, and Knitty. The easiest way to reach her is on Ravelry or her blog,