Start by marking “The Lost Prince” as Want to Read:
The Lost Prince

The Lost Prince

(Seaborne #1)

Middle-grade adventure readers will love this fresh take on classic pirate tropes. Fans of Percy Jackson and The Chronicles of Egg will enjoy Dean Seaborne's adventures on the sea.

Dean Seaborne is thrown off his ship by the Pirate King and given one last chance to redeem himself before he meets Davy Jones's locker. He has to spy on the Pirate King's biggest rival,
Published May 26th 2015 by Carolrhoda Books (first published April 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Prince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Prince

Start your review of The Lost Prince
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
This action-packed pirate fantasy adventure for the middle grade set starts out with a bang: Dean Seaborne, a 13 year old self-described "pirate spy," is being dunked in a cage in the ocean . . . after the pirates have thrown chum in the water to attract sharks. The pirate captain, One-Eyed Jack, is bent out of shape because Dean tried to run away. After sufficient groveling and promise-making, One-Eyed Jack has Dean hauled back up, suitably chastened, and sends him off on another spy mission.

Allison Tebo
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, steampunk
Don’t let the lurid cover fool you – this is a completely kid-friendly book!

This book is essentially Pirates of the Caribbean for tweens with a dash of Treasure Planet.

Is it over the top? Yes. Is it preposterous? Yes.

But the key phrase here is preposterously FUN. This book allows middle grade readers to unabashedly fulfill their swashbuckling imaginations to the fullest and does not hold back on heroics or adventures. While I was reading it, it was almost like I was a kid again, visualizing
Lauren Stoolfire
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This review will also be published on my blog on March 2nd for The Last List Blog Hop hosted by Cuddlebuggery's Book Blog. The Last List Blog Hop is an effort to support the authors and their books on the last Egmont USA list. By the way, if you want to join in on this blog hop, sign ups are open until 12pm EST, March 1st. I read an e-ARC of this title from Netgalley.

Dean Seaborne is kicked off his ship by One-Eyed Jack, the vicious Pirate King, with one last chance to prove himself. Dean's
Liam
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I devoured this book. I didn’t want to put it down, and whenever I wasn’t reading it, I wanted to get back to it. It’s been a while since a book has affected me like that. I finished it the day I began it, staying up as late as necessary to get to the end. In a word, the book is fun. It’s got monsters, villains, and some pretty cool action scenes, but underneath all the tropes you think you’ve seen before, plot twists to keep pulling you along through the book. It’s marketed as middle grade, but ...more
Roderick
Reviewing this later
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-release
An unforgettable adventure on the high seas. Packed with humor, some danger, action, and a 13 year old hero you won't soon forget. This is the perfect beginning for a series you'll definitely want to read.

4.5 stars FULL REVIEW http://mundiekids.blogspot.com/2017/0...
Holly
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Received as an e-galley from Net Galley.

A pirate adventure fantasy with a 13-year old hero, this new series is intended for tween readers. Dean Seaborne (the last name signals he's an orphan), has been raised to be One-Eyed Jack's spy: He joins the crews of sailing ships in order to identify those carrying rich cargo for the pirate king to raid.

Until he is sent to spy on Gentleman Jim, captain of one of Jack's 19 other pirate ships, Dean doesn't understand his moral responsibility for the
Bri
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I liked: I loved that the characters were given clear motivations for how they act, as well as a background that I could understand and connect with the characters actions. The Pirate King, also known as One-Eyed Jack, was a character who I loved to hate because, while having a clear motivation to himself and not just being the flat antagonist of the story, One-Eyed Jack was a nasty character who was ruthless to those who crossed him. I really liked that because the way it was done it was ...more
Tamara (Tamaraniac)
Read my full review on my blog: http://tamaraniac.com/post/1108155817...

The Lost Prince by Matt Myklusch was really, really, really, REALLY good. The premise was great. The plot was great and well executed. The main character was great and the perfect blend of awkward teenager and overly confident idiot.

But, I have to say the greatest part was (what else) the setting. The pirate ships. The magical island of Zenhala. All of it was very cool, well described and so, so imaginative and wonderful.

I
Jolene Haley
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*dances out of joy*

PIRATE BOOK. PIRATE BOOK. PIRATE BOOK. What a fantastic and interesting book! I love pirates. Love them. There are not enough pirates in the book world and I am SO happy that readers now have this novel to appease the pirate genre!

I loved the pacing in this book. It's super fast and there's never a dull moment. Lots of shipwrecks and fighting and gold, everything that I wanted to see in this book. I also loved the characters. Right away you're rooting for them and you want to
Jenni Schell
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
I loved this book. It was so much fun. I am going to send one to every child in our family. It is that good. That said this book is truly for all ages and I am off to read the next one. Great job.
Amanda
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this one with my kids. Overall, the writing was pretty good. There are a variety of action scenes that my kids really enjoyed, though I thought one or two dragged. Dean Seaborne is a character who is trying hard to do the best he can with the poor hand that life dealt him. That makes him easy to root for. Ronan takes some warming up to but is loyal to those he feels he can trust. Waverly, however, was a disappointment. I think she's supposed to be a "cool princess." But she has no ...more
Rosie Rizk
It was a fun middle grade piratical book. Lots of high seas action, pirates with and without morals, and great friendships. Dean is a great character. He gets stomped on pretty often, but he always gets back up with a bang.

My only issue with this book, was that for the entire world, there was only one female character. And she, of course, was the damsel in distress. Mothers never survive past giving birth, I suppose, since she's pretty much the only girl who gets any screen time. Aside from
Karina
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a fine book - not something I particularly enjoyed, but I could see middle school boys giggling to themselves while reading the various action scenes. A young boy raised by pirates - lots of action, lots of cool toys (skateboarding, surfing, some sort of sail you wear to fly on the wind). A little romantic interest, but very PG. There are, however, lots of deaths and fighting and one torture scene (though also still PG - no gory details, over very quickly).
Kelly Mahoney
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was action-packed and really drew me in. I liked it better than Myklusch's Jack Blank series. Dean was a complex character and the complexity of the other characters, especially the various types of pirates involved was interesting. The moral dilemmas faced by Dean and his friends are intriguing and the character development is authentic. I look forward to the rest of the series.
Kostas
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Well, first of all, the book was quite good (for the most part)

The story begins with our protagonist Dean Seaborne, a 13 year old pirate spy who works
for the infamous (for his temper patience and kind heart) pirate king “One-Eyed Jack”. One-Eyed Jack, is in one of his tempers because Dean tried (unsuccessfully) to run away (well I don't blame him).

Moving on, Dean is given a second chance to redeem himself. Dean's mission is to find out why Gentlemen Jim, a pirate captain who works for "One-Eyed
KappaBooks
Actual rating: 3/3.5

It's the story of a young pirate spy who has to come back with gold in order to gain his freedom from the Pirate King.

Overall, it was an okay story. Most of it read like a kids movie and was about as predictable, but for a fun pirate story, it was okay.
Sophie Baker
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and since it held my attention and was interesting, I would definitely recommend it
Lemon Orange
Oct 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Stephanie
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
This is seriously one of the best books I've read in a while, I will totally recommend this to everyone!
Lisa Wroble
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an exciting and well-written novel that the entire family can enjoy. Matt Myklusch crafts a boy-friendly plot with a lot of action and one conflict after another. The twists in the story will keep adults as well as older readers engaged. I would give it more than 5 stars if I could and will be using excerpts in my literacy programs for children plus using the plot structure as a stellar example in my writing workshops.

Dean Seaborne is a boy pirate. Though he would give anything to have a
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
Shiver me timbers! I really liked this book a lot! No, actually, my two sons and I loved Dean Seaborne, the Lost Prince! This swashbuckling first book in the Seaborne series by Matt Myklusch had us gripped from page one. Yep, right from the start, the excitement and thrill had begun. And it didn't end until on the last page.

Imagine 13-year old Dean Seaborne, a pirate, er, a spy working for Pirate King One-Eyed Jack. He was taken by the Black Fleet, branded by Scurvy Gill and had worked with the
Rhonda
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing

5 STARS

This is a exciting adventure, with pirates, a fabled island where gold grows on trees, trials to prove worthiness of royal, and pirate battle. You don't want to stop reading. You can never guess where the story is going to go next. It is also a clean read.

The characters are a good mix of bad guys you hate, bad guys that you love to root for and some you just love. Dean Seaborne is the main character that the story centers around.

Dean is 13 year old. He tried running away from the
Heather Pearson
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Adventure, swashbuckling, and a mysterious island. All the best of pirate lore along with young Dean Seaborne, a pirate spy. Wait a minute, a pirate spy. My first thought was, what the heck is a pirate spy. Simply put, it`s a pirate who spies on other pirates.

Dean has been a pirate for as long as he can remember, and that`s not all that long considering that he`s only thirteen. He doesn`t like how he`s forced to live, but can`t imagine a way out. His newest job is to
Aelvana
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dean Seaborne has spent all his thirteen years with pirates. Under the orders of One-Eyed Jack, he infiltrates ships and then rats them out to pirate crews.

This time promises to be no different. One-Eyed Jack has a pirate who isn't paying his full dues, so Dean goes in to figure out why (and to make sure he delivers). But things go from bad to worse when Dean ends up on the legendary island of Zenhala, about to pull off the scam of his life. If he can survive long enough to collect his freedom
Annette
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
SEABORNE: THE LOST PRINCE by Matt Myklusch is the first book in a new adventure series featuring a teen boy pirate.

More of a spy than a pirate, young Dean Seaborne is forced to work for the evil pirate king One-Eyed Jack. As an orphan, Seaborne becomes caught between two worlds as he tries to decide whether to continue his pirating ways or side with a beautiful girl from a mythical island.

The fast-paced, swashbuckling action will appeal to the tween audience. The addition of a sea dragon will
Jb
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Surprised, surprised and surprised again.
i love tales of pirates, but i must say i didn't see this ending coming.
wow.
and i was astounded to hear this was the same author of one of the first children's novels i read.
the writing has matured so much since jack Blank. (don't get me wrong, i still love those stories, but it felt like i was reading a completely different author.)
Great adventure! can't wait for the next one.
TJ✨
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Received from: Egmont USA
Received Via: NetGalley.com

THE REVIEW

Why this book?

It sounded like a book for me

What I thought

This was a fun book full of adventure .I love a good pirate book. It was also filled with fun characters. This was an interesting story and at times had me at the edge of my seat.The Author knew how to bring each setting to life I could picture everything like I was there. Overall a good read
Mary
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a Peter Pan meets Jennifer Nielsen's The False Prince swashbuckling pirate adventure. Dean is a thirteen-year old pirate spy & con artist who is believed to be the kidnapped prince from a kingdom in the Bermuda Triangle. A plot driven story with plenty of action, lots of betrayals, and acts of heroism.
Clare Doornbos
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this soooo much. I love a pirate book anyway, a pirate book that's also about storytelling and lies is an added bonus. But the stand-out quality of this book is that the author does not patronize his readers. A complex plot with interesting vocabulary and no-one feels the need to define those words in the text. Totally brilliant.

• The Golden Tower (Magisterium, #5)
  • The Silver Mask (Magisterium #4)
  • Master of the Phantom Isle (Dragonwatch, #3)
  • The Boy Who Knew Everything
  • The Hidden Kingdom (Wings of Fire Graphic Novel, #3)
  • The Red Fox Clan (Ranger's Apprentice: The Royal Ranger, #2)
  • Timeless: Diego and the Rangers of the Vastlantic (Timeless, #1)
  • Aru Shah and the Song of Death (Pandava Quartet, #2)
  • The Mark of the Dragonfly (World of Solace, #1)
  • Flashback (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #7)
  • The Copper Gauntlet (Magisterium, #2)
  • Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster
  • Wrath of the Dragon King (Dragonwatch, #2)
  • The Girl Who Could Fly
  • Water & Storm Country (The Country Saga, #3)
  • Lodestar (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #5)
  • The Outcasts (Brotherband Chronicles, #1)
  • Scorched: A Dry Earth Story
Matt Myklusch is the author of six novels for middle-grade readers including ORDER OF THE MAJESTIC, the JACK BLANK trilogy, and the SEABORNE series.

He lives in New Jersey with his wife and family, where he is always behind schedule on his next book.

Seaborne (2 books)
  • Strangers in Atlantis (Seaborne, #2)
“It took a special kind of madness to try to be a pirate and a good man at the same time.” 4 likes
“I don’t mean to pry.” 0 likes