Start by marking “Courting Magic (Kat, Incorrigible #4)” as Want to Read:
Courting Magic (Kat, Incorrigible #4)

Courting Magic

(Kat, Incorrigible #4)

In Kat Stephenson's Regency England, magic is even more shocking than a stolen kiss. But now that she's eighteen, it's time for wild and magical Kat to be introduced to high society by her older sisters, whether she likes it or not...and to finally have a romance of her own!

Of course, her true love is hopelessly ineligible. But when has Kat ever let Society's opinion sto
Published August 10th 2014 by Five Fathoms Press

To ask other readers questions about Courting Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Courting Magic

Start your review of Courting Magic (Kat, Incorrigible #4)
Gail Carriger
I loved Courting Magic: A Kat, Incorrigible Novella. I picked Kat, Incorrigible for my book group a little while ago and liked it very much but I think it was just a little too young for me. There was also some discussion on the book group over the shifting tone. However, Kat's character was always a delight and this novella is the perfect age update, giving Kat her own romance.

“No!” he muttered. “Don’t be stupid. I’d never dishonor you.”
“Well, I thought not.” There was a tiny, inconsequential
Stephanie
Jun 13, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
It's out, it's out, it's out!

That's all. :)

(I'd been waiting a LONG time to be able to share this story!)

PS: And to answer a good question that someone asked, it's available in all e-formats - definitely not just for Kindle! You can even find a printable PDF version on Smashwords.
kureha
Stolen Magic left me hungry for more. After all of Kat’s matchmaking hijinks, it was only fair that she got her own romance, right? Except she was still too young at the end of the book. (Not that it stopped me from shipping her with a certain boy. Nope.)

Imagine my delight at finding out Ms. Burgis was writing a novella set a few years later. August 12 couldn’t come soon enough.

And now that I’ve read it? Why, this book is perfection. I couldn’t stop grinning like an idiot. It was everything
Amy
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for fans of the series, however I do have to admit a small part of me is disappointed this wasn't a full length novel. Hell, lets be honest, what I really want is a new trilogy of novels that follow Kat now that she's grown up. Sadly, it looks like that's not meant to be.

Courting Magic is a novella, so naturally everything was wrapped up very quickly. The romance could definitely have surpassed Ange­line/Frederick heights, had it had the chance to be built upon and explored over sev
R.J.
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A welcome and worthy addition to a wonderful series of MG magical Regency-era adventures, this novella has all the wit and charm and fun readers of Kat's earlier escapades could wish for - along with a deliciously satisfying dollop of romance. Highly recommended! ...more
Brandy Painter
Originally posted here at Random Musings of a Bibliophile.

I have made not secret about how much I adore Stephanie Burgis's Regency fantasy Kat Incorrigible books. When I closed that last page of Stolen Magic, I was left feeling satisfied with the end of Kat's story in those books, but I couldn't help wanting more. When Stephanie started talking about a novella she was writing that would take place upon Kat's debut into society and her own romance, I was beyond thrilled. Courting Magic is everyth
Erin
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, good, enjoyable read. Yay! We got to see more of our Lucy (who was a distinct highlight from book #2) and we got another long look at Alexander (a last-minute surprise highlight from book #3). (Can I also mention that I kind of love that Kat has been imagining and replaying that hand kiss in her head for five years? It just made me like her all the more.) Can we get some books that deal with the joining of the two societies and a series about fighting crime with magic and guardian magic? ...more
iz
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
just as good as I remembered! 💗💗💗
Mary Catelli
Feb 27, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kat, Incorrigible book 4. Very much a sequel to the trilogy, so spoilers for them ahead.

Kat is summoned away from the fitting for her gown -- she must have a Season -- to receive a task as a Guardian: to deal with an illusionist and thief who worked at Society events. Three young men are also on the task, and one is Alexander.

It concerns an old friend with a new name, making jewels look different, questions of fatherhood, and more.
Ummu Auni
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ummu Auni by: Limau Nipis
How could I describe it, except it was a perfect closure

My sister made recommendation for this trilogy ages ago. The #1 book, Kat, Incorrigible was lent to me since last year, but the passion to read books faded away since I had new interest last year, watching Korean soap operas :p. But as reading is ingrained in my blood, I now zealously started reading again.

The #1 book, Kat, Incorrigible introduced Kat, as our protagonist, who discovered she was a born Guardian, on which, as we read through
Patrick Samphire
I read an early draft of this novella, and it is awesome!

It's about five years after the events of the last Kat book, and Kat is finally old at 18 enough to make her debut in society. But she's also on a mission from the Guardians, the secret magical order that keeps an eye on magic use in England.

This book has everything you'd expect from a Kat novel: magic, romance, adventure, and humour. A lot of the fantastic characters from the earlier books are back, but there are some equally brilliant ne
Hallie
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook-purchased
Lovely stuff! So good to see Kat grown up and still recognisably herself. Would have enjoyed (or would enjoy) more...
Beth
Jun 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Not bad, but also too short to feel properly developed and anything other than expected.
Jasmine
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irl-author
Well that was delightful. Kat is as incorrigible as ever, as frustrated with social constraints, and much better at appearing respectable. And now she gets a romance too. :D :D :D :D
Katie Montgomery
The only thing wrong with this was that it ended.
Lydia Andres
I started reading Kat, Incorrigible shortly after it was published, in 2011 and I found it so delightful, I decided to save the last in the series for a rainy day. That day came last year, when one of my best friends spent twenty-seven days in the ICU before ultimately passing away. During that time, I read the entire trilogy, thankful to be join Kat in her magical adventures.

This month, I had another such rainy day. I jumped into this novella and was excited and pleased to find that, though gro
Aqua
A cute follow-up short story to the Kat, Incorrigible series in which we finally get to see Kat actually use some magic. She barely uses magic in the first three books (one or two spells per book), so it was refreshing to finally see her in action.

Kat, about to make her debut in society, is given a mission to track down a rogue witch thief preying on the nobility at society parties. She and a couple other guardians have to work together to find the mysterious thief. Meanwhile Kat is dealing wit
Intisar Khanani
Apr 27, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At turns whimsical and hilarious, this little novella was an absolute treat. It was so fun to see Kat as a young woman, and yet still very much the same person at heart. My only, relatively minor, complaint, (view spoiler) ...more
Shimin Mushsharat
Oh I don't have words to describe the delight this novella brought to me! No matter what, Kat definitely does every single thing with style. Obviously, including falling in love. This has become one my most favourite novellas of all time. I started to smile from the first page and can't help smiling till now when I've already finished the book. I don't even know how the author managed to write such an epic romance in just 140 pages! Absolutely loved loved loved the book. ...more
manaal
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I've been waiting to read this for five or six years now, and it was (slightly) disappointing, but I think that's just because I loved the original series so much and my memory placed a halo around it. My tastes have changed too much, but this was still pretty cute. I might reread the others if I wasn't so sure that I might not see what I saw when I first read them. ...more
Sidsel Pedersen
Wonderful

Wonderful mystery wrapped up in a regency romance. The heroine is headstrong, resourceful and quite modern and all the supporting cast is really enjoyable. Burgis makes me want to read more romance stories of this is what I can expect.
JW
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun novella. It truly is a stand alone read. I haven’t read any of the other books and had no problem connecting with the characters or understanding their world. Kat was delightful. Now I’m going to have to get my hands on the other books in this series.
Kat, on a magic mission, finds her first love again. Kind of interchangeable with Snowspelled for me, even though they were somewhat different. Probably would have been stronger if I had read the others in the series first.
Aliki Ekaterini  Chapple
This is a perfectly nice romance novella rendered pretty much unreadable by the fact that the author doesn’t seem to have done any research on the period she’s set it in, its language, or its customs.
Catherine Sullivan
May 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a great ending to the series

Such a lovely ending to the Kat Incorrigible series. It was nice to spend more time with the fun, impulsive, empowered Kat, as she finds her own match.
Lorraine
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but short. Heavy on the romance less so on the magic.
Kendra
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun regency novella with a little magic and romance. Would love more of Lucy's side of the story. ...more
Beka
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just loved this short story so much!! I loved an older Kat who has a little more restraint and understanding, and of course I love the way everything resolved. Too fun!
Cindy
A charming YA novella that follows up the (equally charming) Kat, Incorrigible middle grade series. I loved it!
Serena
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Wish it were longer!
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: cover on Amazon 1 8 Feb 06, 2021 04:28PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 12, 2016 04:27PM

• The Lady Jewel Diviner (Lady Diviner, #1)
  • Half a Soul (Regency Faerie Tales, #1)
  • Shattered Warrior
  • Between Decisions (The City Between, #8)
  • Paladin's Strength (The Saint of Steel, #2)
  • The Assassins of Thasalon (Penric and Desdemona, #10)
  • Paladin's Grace (The Saint of Steel, #1)
  • Tea and Sympathetic Magic
  • Archangel (Samaria, #1)
  • The Heir and the Spare
  • Ten Thousand Stitches (Regency Faerie Tales, #2)
  • The True Queen (Sorcerer Royal #2)
  • The Heroine's Journey
  • The Impostor Queen (The Impostor Queen, #1)
  • The Alleluia Files (Samaria, #3)
  • Manners and Monsters (Manners and Monsters, #1)
  • Stephen McCranie's Space Boy Volume 8
  • Spindle (Two Monarchies Sequence, #1)
I grew up in America, but now I live in Wales with my husband, fellow writer Patrick Samphire, our sons, "Mr Darcy" and "Mr X", and our sweet (and extremely vocal) tabby cat, Pebbles. I write fun, funny MG fantasy novels (most recently The Princess who Flew with Dragons) and wildly romantic adult historical fantasy novels and novellas (most recently Moontangled).

To get early sneak peeks at new sto

Kat, Incorrigible (5 books)
  • Kat, Incorrigible (Kat, Incorrigible, #1)
  • Renegade Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #2)
  • Stolen Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #3)
  • Olivia, Invisible: A Kat, Incorrigible Story (Kat, Incorrigible, #4.75)

News & Interviews

“For God’s sake, man!” Frederick Carlyle bellowed across the room. “At least wait until you’re alone before you kiss her, if you please! Remember, her family is watching you, and we haven’t had our dinner yet!” 2 likes