Start by marking “You Look Like That Girl: A Child Actor Stops Pretending and Finally Grows Up” as Want to Read:
You Look Like That Girl: A Child Actor Stops Pretending and Finally Grows Up

You Look Like That Girl: A Child Actor Stops Pretending and Finally Grows Up

At the age of twenty-two, Lisa Jakub had what she was supposed to want: she was a working actor in Los Angeles. She had more than forty movies and TV shows to her name, she had been in blockbusters like Mrs. Doubtfire and Independence Day, she walked the red carpet and lived in the house she bought when she was fifteen.

But something was missing.

Passion. Purpose. Happines
Published June 15th 2015 by Beaufort Books (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about You Look Like That Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Look Like That Girl

Bossypants by Tina FeyIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingLet's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny  LawsonYes Please by Amy PoehlerAre You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler
Funny Women Memoirs
315 books — 1,444 voters
Bossypants by Tina FeySeriously... I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneresIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingYes Please by Amy PoehlerHappy Accidents by Jane Lynch
Celebrity Authors
202 books — 124 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca McNutt
From starring in Mrs. Doubtfire to living the dream life at the age of just fifteen, Jakub recalls the underlying bleakness beneath the glitz and glamour of Hollywood life, and her ultimate decision to leave it behind. This memoir is excellent and definitely worth reading.
Elizabeth☮
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
My husband loves Robin Williams. And, since we have been together for twenty-one years now, Williams and all of his movies have been a tapestry of our relationship. Mrs. Doubtfire is one of our favorites.

Fast forward to our life now. We have two girls. My oldest has a book, 101 Movies to See Before You Grow Up: Be your own movie critic--the must-see movie list for kids, and Mrs. Doubtfire is listed. We bought a copy and my girls love it as much as we do.

So when my birthday arrived, my husband
Tina
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I actually requested this book from the publisher - I was dying to read it.

In full disclosure mode, I have never seen Mrs. Doubtfire and I didn't know who Lisa Jakub was, but the title of the book attracted me and when I read a little more about the book and the author, I realized that I wanted to know more about this person.

Jakub has lead a very interesting life which she details here. I loved that she doesn't go on and on about certain aspects of her life - giving us way more detail than we ne
Holly
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I recently finished reading a different book that was very good, but left me drained and sad. This one had the opposite effect.

There were plenty of times I felt pain reading about Lisa's experiences, but in this instance, what I was left with at the end was a sense of peace, hope, and camaraderie. I'm sad that it's over; I wish I was still reading it!

The fifth star is especially for that good feeling :)

EDIT: Oh wow, I just found out that one of my flatmates (who was asking me about the book) bou
Millie Taylor
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've always been a fan of Lisa Jakub, ever since Mrs. Doubtfire. When I found her blog through Mara Wilson's Facebook page, I immediately started following her writing. When I found out that she was writing a book, I got very excited and followed the progress very closely. I bought it as a treat to myself and couldn't wait to finish my other books to start reading it. I wasn't disappointed!

To be a bit cliche', I laughed, I cried, I said, "WTF?!" (My husband and daughter gave me weird looks a co
David Lim
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
From the girl actress who I admit had a massive crush on after watching her in Mrs Doubtfire, an honest and witty account of her life under the spotlight from the age of 4 and how she found true happiness and life after leaving Hollywood's bright lights. Great read. Can't wait for more from Lisa!
John Yingling
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lisa Jakub acted in one of my all-time favorite movies: Matinee. Therefore, I was highly interested in reading her memoir. Although she barely mentions Matinee, she writes a very heartfelt story of her conflicting emotions regarding acting and how in affected her life. She convincingly discusses her joys, her ups and downs, and her feelings about what she really wanted to do with her life. I would recommend this especially for anyone wanting to get a realistic picture of what life is like for mo ...more
Heather
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lisa Jakub starting acting at age 4. She was in movies like Mrs. Doubtfire and Independence Day. When she was 22, she made the decision to leave it all behind. While the transition from child actor to regular person who gets recognized sometimes was not easy, it was what she needed to do. She had a very different childhood than most, but she doesn’t regret her experience. The book does not contain sordid details (unless you count the teamsters teaching a preschooler how to play craps). It is in ...more
hattie
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now I just need to read Matthew Lawrence’s memoirs.
Kristin Bateman
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very interesting memoir by "the Mrs. Doubtfire girl" with a strong writing voice. Ms. Jakub was honest, insightful, and eloquent. I very much enjoyed this.
Sara
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review for Chick Lit Central (www.chicklitcentral.com)

When I was a teenager, I received a lot of comments regarding the striking resemblance I bore to Lisa Jakub. Friends and relatives just couldn’t get over how much we looked alike. I’d go so far as to say she’s my celebrity doppelganger. When I found out she was working on her debut novel, I knew I wanted to get to know the girl who’d appeared to be a lot like me, yet had lived an entirely different lifestyle and had vastly different experienc
Lori
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I just finished reading this on my kindle. I like to read memoirs. I have read many books over the years by former child actors. I guess I am interested in the "whatever became of?" Question. Lisa Jakub was born in Toronto Canada. She started her acting career at four years old when a acting scout saw her in public and suggested she try out for commercials. For about six years from four to ten she did commercials, print ads. and Tv shows in Toronto. She then went to Los Angeles with her mother a ...more
María Salas
Feb 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Let me begin by just saying that her blog is 1000 times better than the book so be prepared..
Just like she warned at the beginning this is no tell-all (sadly) but i hated that when she got to the filming of big movies like Mrs. Doubtfire and Independence Day she cut it short to 2 pages -.- no funny anecdote or anything come on! but when it came to hyperventilating there were no page limits..

The book is nice, easy to read and you get to see what's really like to all those child actors that we so
Aaron Steinmetz
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Neither an indictment of Hollywood nor praise for it, Lisa manages that razor's walk of telling us what went right and what went wrong without prejudice or post-judice as she lived the life so many dream of, only to embrace the life so many have. It's funny, it's heartbreaking, it's relatable and in many ways it's everyone's story. I may have never walked a red carpet or shaken hands with royalty, but I've felt discomfort in my skin and anxiety when I should've felt joy, and Lisa's ability to in ...more
Madelyn Ridgway
Mar 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I think that it is interesting to see how she felt at the times that she was on set of movies that I've seen before I knew who see was. She is very good at communicating her feelings through writing, and remembers a lot of things from her childhood. The only thing that made me uncomfortable was some of the language that was used, but I know that the book is best in her own words, and things I find uncomfortable aren't for most people.
Johnny
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, non-fiction
Very relatable, when it comes to all the feelings and moods she goes through. I'm honoured she shared her story in this way. I laughed, I cried. It's always amazing to see proof of how much more there is to a person. I had no idea she had done so much; I know she's in "Mrs Doubtfire" but I hardly remember it, but I do know her from "Independence Day", "Bermuda Triangle" and "Picture Perfect". She writes so eloquently, I'm glad she gave up acting to pursue these other goals. I like her blog too.
Vanessa Deroo
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You Look Like That Girl is a honest, funny, poignant memoir about a girl who was an actress for too long and found her own happiness, at age 22, outside film sets. Lisa Jakub's voice is present,vibrant, and the post-LA life was for me the most exciting part of the book, because Lisa's new beginning was so real and intense it was just impossible not to smile along.
A great read.
Katie Kwon
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Meh. She works so hard on her central thesis, that we all have struggles and that's relatable, that she loses some of the interest of her unique story. She does seem happy now and comes across as sweet, so I'm glad for her. Mostly I wonder what her parents were thinking to let their lives be taken up by her career.
Scott
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I came to this book as a fan of Lisa Jakub's film work. Her films are not all that easy to see, so I haven't seen more than a dozen of them so far, having run into very severe economic difficulties during the attempt, so I wasn't going to shell out for an Amazon seller at the time. The one-two of Mrs. Doubtfire and Matinee, especially Matinee (I wrote my graduate school exit exam question on film authorship on Joe Dante), worked for me, but her role in Independence Day made me think Hollywood ha ...more
Michael Silverman
I've gotten to know a large number of "celebrities." Certainly more than I could ever count. Many of them are considered among the best in the world at what they do. Sadly, as a psychologist I'm often the only person in their life (apart from their spouse or child(ren)) who really doesn't care that they act/perform for a living.

I've heard their "secrets." I understand the pain they carry. I know of the drive to connect while feeling more and more distant. Indeed, attachment is far more complica
Jonathan Crowley
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Over the past week, I have listed to Lisa Jakub reading the audibook of You Look Like That Girl. Not only did it make for a better commute, it added moments of peace to the day. It feels like you're sitting down with a friend you haven't seen in a far too long and who is catching you up on her life. (Though I would never presume that level of connection were I to meet Lisa in person---it's important to remember that distinction between author and reader/listener.)

As a speaker and as an author, L
April Williams
The only film I clearly recall seeing her in was Mrs. Doubtfire as Lydie Hillard. She seemed to suddenly fall off the face of the earth (in the public eye). She was an actress I assumed would go on to do well & grow into adult aged TV & films. I came across her book & thought it would be interesting to see what became of her life. I assumed the book would be full of hidden gems, for the most part that really wasn't the case. She had little life as a child, no friends, kicked out of s ...more
Azmir Ismail
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One word to sum this book .. honest and real. I like it that she is writing from the heart and does not sugarcoat the good and bad times that she had. Really recommended if you are into writings from celebrities.
Mike
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fascinating read of this former actresses life, and how she came to leave the industry.
Stephen Hamilton
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An honest and entertaining account of accidental stardom and how it isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Anne Libera
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lisa Jakub has a genuine and distinctive voice as a writer and her story of becoming a child actor and then leaving that world was good read. In particular, her detail on the parts of film sets that are rarely talked about -the teamsters and the trailers, hair and makeup, the day to day parts.
Hana Bilqisthi
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is really good memoir :)
Lisa did a great job! :D
I can't put this book down..

I wonder how her writing is so damn good then in this book, I found out writing diary is part her habit

And I would write. I always wrote. I wrote fantasies, war epics, and pop-up books. I journaled constantly. Everything that happened to me had to be chronicled in a spiral bound notebook or else it didn’t really count. An event could only be processed and become real when it had words and phrases and commas associated
Kelly
Jakub writes about leaving a job . . . when that job happens to be as an actress who is easily recognized as the girl from Mrs. Doubtfire or Independence Day. A smooth, easy writing style, written in a way that's relatable and friendly. There aren't any scandalous or juicy gossips in here; it's about growing up and making hard choices and learning to make them 100% for yourself.
Kevin Baker
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting point of view that translates well to everyone's search for themselves
  • Too Close to the Sun: Growing Up in the Shadow of My Grandparents, Franklin and Eleanor
  • Home Front Girl: A Diary of Love, Literature, and Growing Up in Wartime America
  • The German Boy
  • The Habit
  • Pioneer Girl: Growing Up on the Prairie
  • Lessons in Becoming Myself
  • Mad About the Sixties: The Best of the Decade (Mad)
  • All in My Head: An Epic Quest to Cure an Unrelenting, Totally Unreasonable, and Only Slightly Enlightening Headache
  • No Permanent Scars
  • Nurturing Healing Love: A Mother's Journey of Hope & Forgiveness
  • Baghdad Burning II: More Girl Blog from Iraq
  • The Year After
  • Silver Like Dust: One Family's Story of America's Japanese Internment
  • Slipstream: A Memoir
  • Running on Empty: A Diary of Anorexia and Recovery
  • A Daughter's Tale: The Memoir of Winston and Clementine Churchill's Youngest Child
  • The Other Side of Suffering: The Father of JonBenet Ramsey Tells the Story of His Journey from Grief to Grace
  • Writing Is My Drink: A Writer's Story of Finding Her Voice (and a Guide to How You Can Too)
I'm a writer.
And a reader.
And some other things, too.
I used to be an actor, but after an 18-year career, I decided to search for something that felt more authentic to me. I left Hollywood and moved to Virginia. I love books, yoga, my husband, and books some more.

Read more from me at www.RealLisaJakub.com - our my books My You Look Like That Girl (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...) and N