Start by marking “Only Ever Yours” as Want to Read:
Only Ever Yours

Only Ever Yours

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  11,262 ratings  ·  1,987 reviews
Freida and Isabel have been best friends their whole lives.

Now, aged sixteen and in their final year at the School, they expect to be selected as companions—wives to wealthy and powerful men. The alternative—life as a concubine—is too horrible to contemplate.

But as the intensity of the final year takes hold, the pressure to remain perfect becomes almost unbearable. Isabel
Published July 3rd 2014 by Quercus

To ask other readers questions about Only Ever Yours, please sign up.
Monica If you're reading this book for the lesbians, there are no lesbians here, take your search elsewhere. The main character and her bff could have been a…moreIf you're reading this book for the lesbians, there are no lesbians here, take your search elsewhere. The main character and her bff could have been a really great couple but through poor writing their relationship is painfully brushed off so the protag can have a shitty relationship with a shitty man. 0/10 do not recommend.(less)
Daryl A phenomenal debut you do not want to miss.

·  11,262 ratings  ·  1,987 reviews

Barry Pierce
Oct 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood is a truly great work. Since its publication it has become a pillar of dystopian fict...

*knock on the door*

Oh, one sec.

"Yeah, come in!"

"Barry, I heard you speaking out loud whilst you were typing and you mentioned The Handmaid's Tale?"

"Yeah, I'm reviewing it right now"

"Uhm, Barry, you read and reviewed The Handmaid's Tale months ago..."

"No I didn't! I literally just finished reading it," I hold up the book. "Look!"

"Barry that says Only Ever Yours by Louise
C.G. Drews
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've put off reviewing this FOR A LONG TIME. It's too hard. I cannot...I don't even have properly formulated thoughts. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO RATE IT. *frets and sweats* (I'm buddy reading this with my friend, also...when she finishes we can discuss and I will be so grateful, but in the meantime, if you've read it, comfort me. PLEASE. HELP.)

This book is basically a futuristic world were women are treated as...barbie dolls. They're only there for sex. They are nothing. An insult is, "Don't be acade
Deanna
Wow...where do I start?

With elements of The Stepford Wives, 1984, The Handmaid's Tale and Mean Girls' this book is ABSOLUTELY one of the more unusual, disturbing, and intriguing books that I have read in quite some time.

Apparently it was first published as a young adult book but is now being republished as an adult book.

This takes place in a "future" world where women (called eves) are created purely for male pleasure. They are no longer bred naturally but manufactured to become one of three t
Abi
Jan 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
What was the point of this book?

Only Ever Yours is basically a failed attempt to give Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale the YA treatment.

The characters were all despicable, without exception, and if this was an attempt to be subversive or dark or honest, it didn't work.

This novel is supposedly feminist, but I don't see how anyone can make that claim when a book is filled only with vapid, mean, petty, insecure girls and equally horrible women.

I mean, I get it, the man gets you down. We're lik
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Apotheosis of neurosis wrapped up in dystopia narrowed down to a bitches' school. An extremely unusual take on popular topic demostrated in a set of a very persuasive world-building. The particularly unhappy end felt like an improvement on the messed-up world of this dystopian future.

There's lots of insight on bulimic/anorexic behaviour, drugs controversies, bullying, betrayal, self-image isses, digital nonsensicalities (do update your status online so world would know you're still alive!), one'
Joe Valdez
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi-general
There's a good book buried deep in Only Ever Yours, a debut novel by Irish author Louise O'Neill published in 2014. Set in a Euro-Zone where ecological catastrophe has reset human civilization into a patriarchy, where women are genetically engineered and socially conditioned to serve men upon graduation from an all-girls finishing school at the age of 17, the book caters heavily to Young Adult readers. Where its target demographic might find this relatable, eerie and thought provoking, I found i ...more
Mary
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
initial reaction: what the fuck what the fuck what the fuck

Review:
I’ve never felt so physically sick while reading a book. This is a dark, hopeless story, that will make your insides churn and frighten you with its similarities (exaggerated, but present nonetheless) to our current society. You need courage to pick this up and a lot of resolve to keep going once the story gets started.

We’re presented with a dystopian futuristic society, in which women are no longer born, but created (scientifica
Moonlight Reader
Unpopular Opinion Alert.

This book is very difficult to rate and review. It is not an enjoyable read - in some ways I intensely disliked it. But, at the same time that I was reading it and hating it, I was flicking screens as quickly as possible to get to the next page.

Where I run into trouble with this review is in that I must decide if I am going to treat it as a potentially important and serious treatment of misogyny and the oppression of women, through the medium of speculative fiction. Or,
Stacey (prettybooks)
I purchased Only Ever Yours after it won the YA Book Prize. It was one of the few books on the shortlist that I didn't already own or hadn't read, but it was one everyone was talking about.

Louise O'Neill describes Only Ever Yours as The Handmaid’s Tale meets Mean Girls. It is startlingly, painfully real. I've read a lot of young adult dystopian fiction and I've been reluctant to think of Only Ever Yours as 'dystopian' – it's more 'speculative'. Even though our society doesn't mirror freida and i
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-physical
I have a lot of feelings about this book. Just so many. Here's the general theme of them though: Read. This. Book. Seriously, I am not saying that because it was fun and enjoyable, because it simply is not. It is hell on paper. Exquisitely written, horrifyingly realistic hell on paper. Basically, I am just going to list why I absolutely implore you to read this book, okay? Great.

This book is way, way too close to how our society actually thinks/feels. frieda is terrified of gaining an ounce. S
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This . . . this is a really hard book to rate because NONE OF IT is enjoyable. at all. but it's really thought provoking and anger inducing and well written, so??????
Kirsty-Marie Jones

Once upon a time, there was a happy book. This is not one of them. Once upon a time, there was a clever book. This is one of them. It's funny because of course before you go into a book you never know what to expect, especially with synopsis's lately that sound amazing but turn out disappointing, again, this is not that book.

The world in Only Ever Yours is based upon Men's idealism of women, and what a dark world that is. Women are no longer made, they are genetically made and modified and are
Reading Corner
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
So I was thinking more about this book and I've decided to drop it to 4.5 stars due to the ending.

This book is just wow, it is soooo good and incredibly engrossing,I couldn't wait to get back to reading this one every time I put it down.It completely surpassed my expectations and has weaved it's way into my highly recommend.The story is completely enthralling, it reels you in from the start as the dytsopian world that Louise'Neill creates is just so interesting.Although,the ending is slightly an
Jesse Baker
Am I the only person who was disappointed by this book? I was entertained enough to keep reading it because I had heard the ending was shocking, however I was underwhelmed. This book was very repetitive, and there was nothing underneath the surface.
Ellen Gail
Nov 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Ellen Gail by: Buzzfeed, Jeanette Winterson
2.5 stars.

"I am a good girl. I am pretty. I am always happy-go-lucky."

Sigh. I was so excited for this. A YA feminist dystopia given a blurb of approval by Jeanette Winterson, she of The Passion, which was dreamy and whimsical and everything I wanted Only Ever Yours to be. In a world full of genetically engineered women, aka eves, girls are trained from age four to please men. The story follows freida (non capitalized, like all eves names) who is in her last year of school. Her whole life has bee
Sara
3.5 rounded up.

I enjoyed this more than I probably should have, but I’ve missed a good bit of YA dystopian fiction. This reads very well, it’s easy to follow and the plot itself doesn’t drag at all. I felt completely wrapped up in frieda’s world and found it interesting and thought provoking. Isobel in particular, with her hidden secrets and privileges, was intriguing and I felt for her while watching this decent into self destruction. I found frieda naive in nature. She’s described as ‘eager t
Glire
What would you do if you failed to produce sons? Throw myself on the pyre before Termination Date so my husband can marry someone better. What would you do if a man asked you for sex when you where feeling unwell? Always be willing. What would you do if a man asked you to perform a sexual act you felt uncomfortable with? Always be willing.

I want to forget I ever read this book. On a scale of zero to 'Leonardo Dicaprio asking for a lobotomy in Shutter Island', I am Leo. Running to the lighthous
Lala BooksandLala
Rating Only Ever Yours is difficult. This book is not designed to be enjoyed, but rather demands to be felt. It has a powerful message, and I felt the way the book intended, however I still struggle with a rating because my enjoyment level was so low. But was my enjoyment level low because of the subject matter, or due to something the book was lacking? I'm not sure myself.
Ömer
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

"Nihayet beden öğrendi. Kız bebeğin bir istilacı olduğunu, annesinin güzelliğini çalmaktan başka bir işe yaramadığını öğrendi. Kız bebekler tehlikeliydi."

Yorumu için: http://kronikokur.blogspot.com.tr/201...
Esma Tezgi
Mar 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Cümleleri toplayamıyorum öfkeden. Kitap Flashtvdeki reklamlar gibi,
Çakma ürünleri yeni gibi sunma; ePad, eFon..
Aynı şeyleri sürekli tekrar etme;kitapta sürekli aynı şeyi okuyorsunuz bazen acaba bu sayfayı okudumda yanlışlıkla geri mi okuyorum diyorsunuz.
Sinir bozucu sunucu, kitabın anlatıcısı kız o kadar sinir bozucuydu ki her sayfada biri kafasını patlatsa keşke diye okudum, nasıl tv karşısında o sunucular sizi delirtiyor freida ondan daha beterdi.
Ve pazarlama bir şekilde tuzağa düşüp ürünü al
Şeyma
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ben şimdi ne okudum? Yazara olan nefretimi anlatmaya kelimeler yetmez. Konuyu düşündüğüm gibi işleyememiş olması hayal kırıklığına uğrattı beni..
Jessica Healy
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, feminism, sff, ya
Oh my goodness I just realised I completely forgot to put up a review for this book. Which is kind of insane because it is a book that is WORTH TALKING ABOUT!

There are two major things I loved about this book.

First, is the writing, which is kind of the most important thing about any book, really. This book is fantastically well written. It's a very accessible, sparse kind of prose, with the occasional foray into some very lovely things going on with the language. There's nothing like reading a
Lotte
Even after finishing it, I still have so many conflicting thoughts about this book. The story definitely kept me interested, but in the end I wished it had been more than it was.
Maybe I'll be able to form some coherent thoughts about this later, but for now I'm going to give it a 3, maybe even a 3.5 star rating.
(I also feel like reading a super fluffy, happy contemporary now, because this was pretty depressing.)
Liz Barnsley
So I read the final page of “Only Ever Yours” and was incoherent for about half an hour. Literally. Thats how good it was. Unbelievably believable, , compelling, utterly riveting and scary as hell when you think how much of this imaginary world could so easily be our reality given a simple twist of history or fate, I was completely undone by the whole reading experience.

We follow along mostly with frieda – she’s an “Eve”, a female bred for the pleasure or service of men. She is at “school” learn
Charley Cook
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the most disturbing dystopia-esque book I've ever read because it's so....real...damn
Full review to come.
Cora Tea Party Princess
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
5 Words: Beauty, power, property, friendship, freedom.

YA Shot read-a-long March 2016

I really enjoyed this book, if that's even the right word, but by the end I felt kind of deflated. I felt that, just like the characters, all hope was gone, lost.

This is a good book, but it's also utterly horrible.

It takes the very worst aspects of human nature and exaggerates them and makes everything HORRIBLE, but you can't stop reading because it's so well written and right until the end you have this tiny shr
Rita
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Assustador, real e pesado.
Um abre olhos para todos nós.
Estou indecisa com a pontuação, acho que são 4,5 estrelas porque foi bom... mas houveram coisas que me deixaram a odiar o livro, por exemplo: Duas personagens com nomes muitos idênticos, uma que se chamava "daria" e eu ficava confusa por aparecer em letras pequenas, além do mais o livro deixou-me irritada por ser tão real e ao mesmo tempo enrolar em certas partes... MAS WOW , eu vou dar as 5 estrelas arredondadas pois ele merece, do fundo do
Niamh
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ylenia
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm speechless. I don't even know how to rate this. Holy shit. This creeped the shit outta me.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

UPDATE: actual review.

I couldn't form words about this book for several days. Even now I know this review will be shorter than usual, just because I really don't know what to say. It's just scary.

The book is set in a dystopian world were women are designed and created to be perfect, for men.
Our protagonist is in the School that's supposed to prepare them
Emma
O'Neill delivers a chilling, modern-day rendition of Brave New World. In true Huxley style, she presents a world where we are controlled by sex, by the lure of the American Dream twisted in the most macabre fashion into a virtual horror show. Voices whisper as the 'eves' sleep, urging them to be perfect, to be thin, to submit to the will of their buyers, their owners - men.

But what is truly frightening about this book is it's honestly, it's refusal to hide behind vagueness when presenting a wor
  • A Change Is Gonna Come
  • Remix
  • Vivian Apple Needs a Miracle (Vivian Apple, #2)
  • Under My Skin
  • Othergirl
  • Orangeboy
  • Bird Brain
  • Monsters
  • Our Lady of the Streets (The Skyscraper Throne, #3)
  • Guantanamo Boy
  • Land
  • Way Down Dark  (The Australia Trilogy, #1)
  • Up Close
Louise O' Neill is from Clonakilty, in west Cork. After graduating with a BA in English Studies at Trinity College Dublin, she went on to complete a post-grad in Fashion Buying at DIT. Having spent a year in New York working for Kate Lanphear, the senior Style Director of ELLE magazine, she returned home to Ireland to write her first novel.
She went from hanging out on set with A-list celebrities t
“We are who we are. Sometimes, no matter how much someone might want to, they can’t escape that.” 44 likes
“I want to hide, fold into the shadows and become invisible so no-one can look at me any more.” 23 likes