Start by marking “The Gift Counselor” as Want to Read:
The Gift Counselor

Read Book

The Gift Counselor

Do all gifts have strings attached?
Yes, believes Jonquil Bloom and she intends to prove it. She's a psychologist who uses her skills in a department store to help shoppers of all ages become good gift givers. Yet, her ten-year-old son wants a dog she won’t let him have.
Enter the handsome bachelor who is ready to settle down.
A timeless mix of romance, family drama, psych
Published July 12th 2014 by Sheila M Cronin

Start your review of The Gift Counselor
Elke
When Christmas is near, I like to deviate from my usual reading matter and immerse myself in something cozy. This book came as the perfect choice for this year's holiday read and perfectly enhanced my Christmas mood. While it did contain an expected, even mandatory romance story, I was delighted to find that it was more than just that, adding a troubled mother-son relationship and some rather fascinating insights into the psychological dynamics of gift-giving (and receiving) and the strings atta ...more
Chloe Bolan
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Want to do your holiday shopping early? This book is the perfect gift. Not only because its subject matter is gift-giving, but because its heroine needs to come to grips with her grief and give her son the gift he really wants. Along the way she creates a job she wants to wake up to every morning and discovers a man who awakens her. All this takes place in the month of December, the holiday month, the month for giving. It reminds us that, yes, it's a wonderful life!
K. Gracie
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful story about a young widowed psychologist, Jonquil Bloom, who is in urgent need of a job when her position is abolished at the Children’s Home just before Christmas. Thankfully, she finds a seasonal job to tide her over until the new year at Clyde’s Department Store. It has nothing to do with her profession but she really needs to work and when she is assigned to assist, Rita Oglesby, a veteran salesperson in the fragrance department, she finds a way to turn the job into more ...more
Michelle
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
THE GIFT COUNSELOR was a wonderful surprise!! It wasn’t at all what I expected. There is a lot going on in the story, but it is so well told you will never feel lost. What a delightful idea to introduce a gift counselor. I liked the premise of the book and loved Jonquil, a single mom and psychologist, with the drive to make her new part-time job into something permanent. This is one of those books you can’t put down.
The author did a delightful job weaving a novel story and creating beautifully f
Carrie Westmoreland Kurtz
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I Love Christmas Books!!!! As soon as Thanksgiving is over I get my Christmas TBR all set. I love it when I get new Christmas books so when I received the review request for this book I was naturally excited.

The Gift Counselor started out really good. It wasn't a slow start at all. It jumped right in! I love books like that! This book stayed at a really good pace throughout, which is another really good thing.

So, Jonquil was the kind of character that you love and then don't really like, back an
Lynn Hallbrooks
This is a perfect read for the month of December if you celebrate Christmas.

Parental note: This is a Christian based book which is mostly clean save for a few adult words sprinkled throughout. If interested, perhaps you could read it first and decide the appropriateness for your young person.

Jonquil, a single mother and psychology major, is thrown for a loop when she learns she has been 'laid off' before the month of December. Bills have to be paid and mouths have to be fed so she takes a temp
Margaret Laing
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved "The Gift Counselor." I was meaning to take it on the road, but I checked on where I was in the book, it drew me in, and I didn't leave until I finished the book. The ending is that gripping.

Jonquil Bloom's adventures are not a detective story, but she does investigate a mystery -- the working of the human heart, especially around the idea of giving gifts. Don't think it's only a Christmas story, though -- it is a great story all year 'round.

I was delighted to get to know Jonquil in her
Anthony D.
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great first novel

Sheila Cronin creates an imaginative, innovative idea for generating new interest at a retail establishment, while developing several personal relationships, some in conflict with the principal character. Very readable.
Megan
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a fun Christmas read. I would recommend if you like Christmas stories.
Deb Lecos
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Gift Counselor. Sheila M. Cronin. Chicago, IL: Sheila M. Cronin, July 12, 2014, Trade Paperback and Kindle, 324 pages.

I was given this book to be reviewed.

The Gift Counselor is a work of fiction, devoted to the idea that there are usually reasons and preferred outcomes connected to our gifts. Set in Southern California in the 1990's, Jonquil Bloom is a single mother to a son, Billy, as well as a graduate psychology student doing research on “The Psychodynamics of Gift Giving.” The young moth
Annette
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jonquil has a gift for helping almost anyone select the perfect gift for. She is a student of psychology and she understands human nature very well. When someone speaks to her, she listens. The only time she does not truly hear is when her son speaks to her. Her heart does not want to hear what he truly wants.

Jonquil is a widow with a son, Billy. She has never been honest with Billy about the death of his father and the situation which has brought them to this place in life.

Jonquil loses her job
R J Mckay
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-shelf
I received this book from Goodreads in exchange for a review.

Sometimes people need to learn how to receive a gift as well as give one.

When Jonquil loses her job at the Children’s Home, she scrambles to find another position to tide her over until January. What starts out as a simple placement at Clyde’s department store quickly turns into a job that lets her utilize her knowledge about people while helping them find the perfect gift.

Before losing her job, Jonquil was working on her master’s th
Billy Buttons
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was entered and was a finalist in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what the readers thought:

Title: The Gift Counselor

Style: 9/10
Content: 9/10
Cover: 10/10

Of the 25 readers:
22 would read another book by this author.
25 thought the cover was good or excellent.
24 felt the blurb was enticing.
19 thought the well-developed characters were the best part of the book.
6 felt the author’s no. 1 skill was balanc
Debbie Ballard
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved and enjoyed reading the fabulous, heart-wrenching, inspirational, romantic story, The Gift Counselor, that I received free through Goodreads First Reads.
After finding out she lost her job at the Children's Home due to a painting job, Jonquill Bloom leaves and accidentally spills paint all over an unbelievably, attractive man. Jonquill, a widower, raising her son, Billy, finds a job at Clyde's Department Store and ends up being in charge of the Gift Counseling Department. Jonquill listens
Barb
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful, feel-good story with a main character I found to be easy to relate to. The Gift Counselor is a Catholic romance novel.

Jonquil is a widowed mom with a 10-year-old son who, more than anything, wants a dog of his own–but she has her own reasons for denying Billy’s wish. Jonquil is a psychology student focusing on the topic of gift-giving for her doctoral dissertation, and when she finds herself out of a job at the Children’s Home, she takes a seasonal position at a local depart
Sharon Heaverly Machuga French
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads Giveaways.

The Gift Counselor is a totally fun read. The characters were totally believable and the main character, Jonquil is a totally delightful woman who finds a totally different career than she had ever anticipated as well as a relationship she never saw coming. Light, cheery, fun and you might find yourself laughing out loud at times.
Angela Holtzman
Nov 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: bookclub
This is a lovely read. Characters are well drawn, circumstances believable. The author visited our book group recently and we had an insightful exchange with her. Reading the book reminded me of a Hallmark Channel movie. I was surprised to learn from the author that the work was a screenplay first!
Skeetor
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
This is what I needed to get into the holiday spirit! Well written, lively characters and emotionally uplifting. A classic holiday read!
Lori Harrison
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
loving it!
Jessica Foster
Jun 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Quick and fun read. Like a Hallmark movie in a book, I could almost see the scenes playing out. Fun holiday break read!
Tammy
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. Loved the characters and loved the happy sweet ending. Would recommend this. Recieved this book free as a giveaway reader, thank you Sheila Cronin for a great book!

Adrienne
Vera
Feb 27, 2017
Mary Yerrick
Jan 08, 2016
Making Connections: 5636. The Gift Counselor by Sheila M. Cronin 12 31 Jan 18, 2020 07:12AM
Happy M.C. birthday! 1 1 Dec 14, 2019 12:19PM
Christmas Books: First chapter link 1 7 Oct 14, 2019 09:17AM
Catholic Fiction: Happy book birthday! 1 13 Jul 25, 2019 07:02AM
Happy book birthday! 1 1 Jul 25, 2019 07:00AM
GOOD REVIEWS: Christmas in July review 1 2 Jul 14, 2019 05:58AM
Fifth year anniversary! 1 1 Jul 04, 2019 05:32AM

• Brothers of Belle Fourche: Books 4-7
  • Sisters by Choice (Blackberry Island, #4)
  • Black Rose (In the Garden, #2)
  • Daring and the Duke (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #3)
  • Lights Out Lucy (Music City Rollers #1)
  • Double Dog Dare (The Dogfather, #6)
  • Evening Stars (Blackberry Island, #3)
  • The Ghost in the Curve (Cedar Creek, #1)
  • Connections in Death (In Death, #48)
  • Dead Girl Running (Cape Charade, #1)
  • Three Dog Night (The Dogmothers, #2)
  • Trey (7 Brides for 7 Blackthornes, #7)
  • BROCK (7 Brides for 7 Blackthornes, #5)
  • Jason (7 Brides for 7 Blackthornes, #2)
  • Dachshund Through the Snow (The Dogmothers, #2.5)
  • Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years
  • Die Geheimnisse von Winterhaus
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)

News & Interviews