Start by marking “Christy” as Want to Read:
Christy

Christy

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  46,658 ratings  ·  1,601 reviews
The train taking nineteen-year-old teacher Christy Huddleston from her home in Asheville, North Carolina, might as well be transporting her to another world. The Smoky Mountain community of Cutter Gap feels suspended in time, trapped by poverty, superstitions, and century-old traditions.

But as Christy struggles to find acceptance in her new home, some see her — and her one
Published December 31st 2001 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Christy, please sign up.
Jordan Lombard I too loved the show, and read the book years ago when the show was either on, or had just finished, I think. The book was fabulous, and I'm now…moreI too loved the show, and read the book years ago when the show was either on, or had just finished, I think. The book was fabulous, and I'm now rereading it as an audiobook, narrated by the actress that played Christy in the show. Fantastic narration. Love both. Wish I could get my hands on the show to watch again.(less)
Suzan Absolutely. My mother gave it to and I read it over and over as a teen. It's one of several books I have been reading again lately as what I call…moreAbsolutely. My mother gave it to and I read it over and over as a teen. It's one of several books I have been reading again lately as what I call sentimental reading.
(less)

·  46,658 ratings  ·  1,601 reviews

Majenta
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, beautiful! I am so glad I read it, and I heartily recommend it to anyone and everyone who wants a deep and wondrous read. Featuring a man calling his wife and son "twitter-witted"....

Thanks for reading!
Bobby Underwood
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This warm and heartfelt novel is Catherine Marshall's loving tribute to her mother Lenora Woods' journey to Cutter Gap, in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee, to teach its children shortly after the turn of the century. The effect it had on her mother's life and faith is captured with warmth and beauty in this fine audio book. It is made all the more special because it is read by Kellie Martin, who starred in the two-hour television adaptation, and the series that followed.

It is rare when an audio
Michelle
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Okay - so I have read this book about 10 times, most recently 2008. It is about a young women who heads to the mountains to become a school teacher and the challenges she faces. There are two hunky guys she flirts with, too. This book does have religious tones while Christy questions and figures out what she believes. I think this book rings so true to me because I read it at an age when I was asking the same type of questions. I still enjoy the beauty of the story after repeat readings. This ma ...more
Carly
For anyone who says that reading fiction is not as edifying and worthwhile as reading a non-fiction book, I say, "Have you read Christy?"

I mourn that Catherine Marshall wasn't around in my lifetime, but I feel so utterly blessed that she poured her heart and soul and love into this eternal story! There are more moments of true wisdom tucked away in this biographical novel than in any other book I've read outside of The Book... and it's all nestled effortlessly in a touching, gripping, fascinatin
Celeste
Full review now posted!

This book is billed as the first Christian fiction novel. Before this point, an author’s faith might be woven through their work, but that didn’t put it in a different genre. Thanks to Marshall’s novel, an entirely new genre was born and has now split into multiple subgenres. The biggest awards for Christian fiction remains the Christy Awards in honor of this book. If there is any classic of the genre, it would obviously have to be this book, which meant it was something t
Natasha
Nov 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was the book that spawned adult reading for me. My mom read it aloud on a car trip to the Smokey Mountains. The characters are engaging and could walk off the page. Truly the first experience I had with characters that i would recognize if they walked into the room.

Fifteen years later, this book remains the only book I've ever read that still holds all it's charm and wonder with each reread. I make a piont to reread it at least every two years.

Cutter Gap and it's people are very much alive
E.F.B.
I listened to this on audio, so pardon any misspellings!

Okay, this is going to be a complicated review. In my opinion, Christy is a good book, just maybe not for all audiences. I'm giving it a solid 3.5 stars for "didn't-love-didn't-hate-but-liked-it-more-than-3 stars-but-not-quite-4-stars". There were things I liked and things I didn't like and things that simply were. Things that were uplifting and things that were depressing. I liked Christy herself for the most part. She was lively, and an e
Shantelle
Is this the end? Why isn't there more! :'( This was my first time reading Christy by Catherine Marshall ... and I loved it! Why didn't I read it sooner?? My only complaint is that the book ended. ;)

More thoughts to come, potentially.

Now, onto Julie!
AnnaMay
Jun 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, beautiful book.

I absolutely loved the descriptions of the Smoky Mt. area and the people. It was wonderful to know more of their heritage and what contributed to their stubborness, their 'clan' loyalty and their work ethic.

Marshall is such a GOOD storyteller. The characters and conflicts were so real. The school children were a delight to read about. I can't even begin to understand how she handled 70+- kids in a one-room school. Amazing.

It's no surprise people fell in love with Chr
Abigayle Claire
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I. loved. this. book. What more is there to say? Of course I had my dislikes, but that's one of the signs of a well-rounded story in my opinion. The characters were so human, but they all strived to be more and do more. It was enchanting to read while being the same age as Christy (19). Cutter Gap has so many quirks and such personality it's hard not to like it among all the backward thinking and poverty. I enjoyed Christy's journey of faith as it was very blunt and realistic--she didn't shy awa ...more
Callie
Nov 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
1.5/5 stars.

I probably would never have read this book, but my book club decided to pick it up. I vaguely remember watching some of the TV series when I was a kid, but that's all I had to go on before jumping into this story.

Oy, I have thoughts about this book.

What I Liked:

I listened to this book on audio, and I honestly think that is the way to go. I don't know if I would have enjoyed reading this book in print, but the audio is read by the same actress who played Christy on the TV series, and
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
What a delight to reread this favorite book from my adolescence as we celebrate its 50th anniversary!

When I first read this book as a young teenager, I fell in love with the characters, the setting, and the call to be a teacher. This was Christian fiction before the distinction became part of our vocabulary. Reading it as an adult, I fell in love with it all over again. This time though, I bring a new set of life experiences and heartbreaks and joys to the table and in that way the story came al
Noel Branham
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Christy in two days. Not only was it a beautifully written and timeless narrative of Appalachian culture, it was also a most refreshing romance. There are two main men in this book, the young Pastor, David and Dr. Neil MacNeil a self-proclaimed atheist. What strikes me so throughly is the fact that both men are a perfect foil for one another. In a sense, I feel that the Rev. David is unknowingly an atheist and similarly Dr. MacNeil a devout Christian by the book’s end. This is the power o ...more
Luisa Knight
Cleanliness: Towards the end of Chapter 7 (pg 102), it mentions that a “little girl was beaten over and over by her mother’s lover, …brutally raped” and as a result, died the next day. It references it again, later down the page and again two pages later.
Chapter 33 is a woman explaining about how a man who came into her Quaker community seduced and raped her. It is detailed and graphic enough that I recommend reading it first in order to determine if you want your children reading it.
A few pag
I wondered if this book would hold up to how much I loved it as a fifteen to twenty-two-year-old when I was frequently rereading it. This is one of those rare books that seems to grow with you and always have new things to discover.

The heart of this book is about God's love for us and how it is reflected in his people. With realistic characters with different motivations and approaches, you can see so many different aspects. I could write a very long post just about the different kinds of love.

T
Bekah Porter-Sandy
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Some books grab you by the heart and never let you go. For me, there are three: "Gone With the Wind," "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe," and then "Christy." I try to annually read each, although in recent years (with a new marriage, new college focus, and cross-country move), I have failed in that effort.
This year, I decided to rectify that situation, and I am ever so glad that I did, especially with this particular novel.
I first read it as a teenager, and it captured my soul then. I loved
Miss Hall
Jan 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
I was skeptical of this book at first, however, I am so glad that I stuck with it. I reached a point where I didn't want to put it down (yes, I did stay up all hours reading it...). This book entails a young woman's sudden decision to travel to the poverty-striken Applachain Mountains and become a school teacher. Her lifestyle dramatically changes from a normal, safe, and predictable life to one with primitive accomodations (no electricity, telephones, plumbing), surrounded with filth, disease, ...more
Kat
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a delightful book. My mom, sister and I used to love watching historicals together when we were younger, and I remember watching this when it was made into a miniseries. The book is even better, giving a great glimpse of the poverty and lack of opportunity in Appalachia back in the early 1900's when young Christy Huddleston goes into the Smoky Mountains to become a schoolteacher. Such memorable characters and just a great all-around read. 4.5/5 stars.
Jeanette
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a classic read from both "eyes" of the era it was written and also the place/time that encompasses the copy of Christy's tale of coming to the mountains to be teacher.

It's very long- at least 2 books length. Yet because it embraces so many myriad aspects of Christy's life, schoolhouse and entire mixes of associations in Cutter Gap locale- it still delights.

Because I did not read this when I was young, I was surprised at the reviews which some specify as "romantic". I didn't feel that was th
Victoria Lynn
3.5 stars.
I liked this story. having seen the tv show first, then read the book once I was old enough, I found it a very accurate, picture of the place and time. Be forewarned, it can come across as depressing, and in my humble opinion, the story line was better in the tv series.

There was a bit of graphic material and depressing things in this movie as well as one or two scenes that were a bit out of place and inappropriate. recommended for 16+ because of mature content.

LemonLinda
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was definitely a comfort read or rather a reread for me. It is a Christian-based historical fiction set in the Tennessee mountains around 1912. Christy Huddleston is a young teacher who leaves the comfort of her Asheville, NC home to minister to and teach the children of a cove set deep within Appalachia. I first read this as a teen soon after it was published, reread it in the 80s when a TV series which I loved aired based on the book and now reread once again with great fondness for the c ...more
Kate Quinn
May 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
I am not normally a fan of evangelical novels, but "Christy" is an exception. The titular heroine is an idealistic young girl in the 19th century who finds herself moved to volunteer as a teacher in an impoverished Appalachian town. Christy struggles to understand her pupils, their insular mountain culture, and ultimately her own faith and what it means to her. Unlike many evangelical novels, faith is not the character's sole concern: Christy spends plenty of time worrying about how to get new b ...more
Carole Jarvis
Reviewed at The Power of Words: http://bit.ly/2krAJm5

To say that Christy is a classic is true, but that really doesn’t do it justice. Christy is a masterpiece in which lyrical writing, vivid setting, and complex characters come together in a beautifully fascinating and compelling story that’s worth reading again and again – just as relevant today as when it was first written. The best books are life changing, and that’s the impact it had on me when first reading it as a teen. But now, reading it
Emilee
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely story. It's a classic. I'm glad I took the time to read it. Christy contemplates life, God and what she is meant to do with her life. She spends a lot of time reflecting these things. I enjoyed the relationships and the adventures.
Michelle
Sep 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
This was interesting. I did read the whole thing, but when I was getting to the end I was starting to think, "Is this worth the time I have spent on it?"
It was overall an uplifting story. Probably my favorite aspect was the peek into life in a small Tennessee Mountain town at the turn of last century. I couldn't help but wonder if that's how some Arkansas towns were, too.
I did like the ending.
That said, there was much that I disliked about this book. It seemed very dated, like I was watching a
Katie Schuermann
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interestingly, I did not like the ending of this book as a teen, but I found it very moving as an adult. It reminds me of the ending of Montgomery's Rilla of Ingleside. Not very many authors risk stopping a story on the up side of a climax, but Marshall employs the technique beautifully here. She left me with an appetite for more rather than filling my tummy with a glut of resolutions, and I'm old enough now to realize that the former is sometimes much more satisfying than the latter. Here's to ...more
Jennifer Fertig
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I vow here and now to read this with each of my daughters when they are 18 or 19 years old and any of their friends that want to read along and discuss it with us.
There was so much in Christy that resonated in me. Being that I am from Tennessee and generations of my family were from there, most never leaving the state and many living in and traveling through the mountains and regions nearby where this story took place obviously played a role in my enthrallment. Catherine Marshall described the
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was an avid reader as a child and still remember picking up my aunt's copy of Christy on her bookshelf. I don't remember the thickness of the book, or how old I was, but I do remember reading the book to the end and feeling slightly disappointed at how the romance ended... it wasn't clear enough or passionate enough to my childish mind. I remember taking the book to my mom, showing her the end, and asking her. Does this mean that she marries _____? And Mom, bless her heart, not having read the ...more
Hanna
I absolutely loved this book! The romance aspect of it was magnificently done, although the exciting, albeit large, book ended way to soon. David and Dr. McNeil were great, but also horrible. For older readers, this is perfectly fine, (in my opinion) but for younger readers, the description of sexual affairs is probably not appropriate. It certainly didn't take away anything for me, though.
Mikayla
Wow. I did not expect this book to be that perspective changing. The dynamic cast of characters and heart-wrenching circumstances, the whole book pushing towards the light. Every terrible circumstance, every broken character, every story told points more and more to God. I would give it more stars if I could.
I expected to like Christy, but I didn't expect to love it as much as I did. I grew up on the TV series, which really only gave a glimpse of this book.
Being the same age as Christy, I reall
  • Two from Galilee: The Story of Mary and Joseph
  • A Bride for Donnigan (Women of the West, #7)
  • The Stars for a Light (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #1)
  • Prague Counterpoint (Zion Covenant, #2)
  • Papa's Wife (The Franzons, #1)
  • Port Royal (Buccaneers #1)
  • Laddie: A True Blue Story
  • Mrs. Mike (Mrs. Mike, #1)
  • The Fisherman's Lady
  • Travail and Triumph (The Russians, #3)
  • Pilgrim's Inn (Eliots of Damerosehay, #2)
  • The Fields of Glory (Wakefield Dynasty #4)
  • A Lantern in Her Hand
  • How Do I Love Thee? (Ladies of History #4)
Marshall was born in Johnson City, Tennessee.[1][2] She was the daughter of the Reverend John Ambrose Wood and Leonora Whitaker Wood.[1] From the age of nine until her graduation from high school, Marshall was raised in Keyser, West Virginia,[1] where her father served as pastor of a Presbyterian church from 1924 to 1942.[1]

While a junior at Agnes Scott College, she met Peter Marshall, marrying hi
“A Christian has no business being satisfied with mediocrity. He's supposed to reach for the stars. Why not? He's not on his own anymore. He has God's help now.” 63 likes
“Evil is real - and powerful. It has to be fought, not explained away, not fled. And God is against evil all the way. So each of us has to decide where WE stand, how we're going to live OUR lives. We can try to persuade ourselves that evil doesn't exist; live for ourselves and wink at evil. We can say that it isn't so bad after all, maybe even try to call it fun by clothing it in silks and velvets. We can compromise with it, keep quiet about it and say it's none of our business. Or we can work on God's side, listen for His orders on strategy against the evil, no matter how horrible it is, and know that He can transform it.” 60 likes