Start by marking “Christy” as Want to Read:
Christy

Christy

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  52,527 ratings  ·  2,032 reviews
The train taking nineteen-year-old teacher Christy Huddleston from her home in Asheville, North Carolina, might as well be transporting her to another world. The Smoky Mountain community of Cutter Gap feels suspended in time, trapped by poverty, superstitions, and century-old traditions.

But as Christy struggles to find acceptance in her new home, some see her — and her one
Published December 31st 2001 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published June 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Christy, please sign up.
Jordan Lombard I too loved the show, and read the book years ago when the show was either on, or had just finished, I think. The book was fabulous, and I'm now rerea…moreI too loved the show, and read the book years ago when the show was either on, or had just finished, I think. The book was fabulous, and I'm now rereading it as an audiobook, narrated by the actress that played Christy in the show. Fantastic narration. Love both. Wish I could get my hands on the show to watch again.(less)
Suzan Absolutely. My mother gave it to and I read it over and over as a teen. It's one of several books I have been reading again lately as what I call sent…moreAbsolutely. My mother gave it to and I read it over and over as a teen. It's one of several books I have been reading again lately as what I call sentimental reading.
(less)

·  52,527 ratings  ·  2,032 reviews

Start your review of Christy
Majenta
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, beautiful! I am so glad I read it, and I heartily recommend it to anyone and everyone who wants a deep and wondrous read. Featuring a man calling his wife and son "twitter-witted"....

Thanks for reading!
Bobby Underwood
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This warm and heartfelt novel is Catherine Marshall's loving tribute to her mother Lenora Woods' journey to Cutter Gap, in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee, to teach its children shortly after the turn of the century. The effect it had on her mother's life and faith is captured with warmth and beauty in this fine audio book. It is made all the more special because it is read by Kellie Martin, who starred in the two-hour television adaptation, and the series that followed.

It is rare when an audio
Michelle
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Okay - so I have read this book about 10 times, most recently 2008. It is about a young women who heads to the mountains to become a school teacher and the challenges she faces. There are two hunky guys she flirts with, too. This book does have religious tones while Christy questions and figures out what she believes. I think this book rings so true to me because I read it at an age when I was asking the same type of questions. I still enjoy the beauty of the story after repeat readings. This ma ...more
Sara (taking a break)
I first read this book when I was a teenager, and I remembered really nothing of the story except that Christy was a girl who left her home in Asheville to work at a mission in the Appalachians and that I had liked the book. I think this book was more geared to my younger self, that youthful person still searching for her own path in life and wanting to codify her beliefs.

There is much truth, and dozens of truisms, in this book. Catherine Marshall was married to a famous pastor and she has a ser
Amanda Tero
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Growing up, I heard that Christy wasn’t a book to read or series appropriate to watch. Then I realized I wasn’t a teen anymore. This book was recommended to me as a research read, and I can say I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was so authentic and captivating. It half read as biography, half as fiction. The stories were so complex that it makes me think “you can’t make this stuff up.” It really was fascinating and overall I loved it.

Romantically speaking, there are primarily two scenes that I would n
Lori (on vacation) Keeton

Christy is a Christian historical fiction novel written in 1967 and loosely inspired by the author’s mother’s experiences as a school teacher of impoverished children in the Appalachian areas of Tennessee. I am happy to have had the opportunity to read this and wished I had read it when I was a teen. I can see my younger self really connecting with Christy Huddleston, a young 19 year old impressionable girl who decides to volunteer to teach in a Mission school in Cutter Gap, Tennessee in 1912. C
Carly
For anyone who says that reading fiction is not as edifying and worthwhile as reading a non-fiction book, I say, "Have you read Christy?"

I mourn that Catherine Marshall wasn't around in my lifetime, but I feel so utterly blessed that she poured her heart and soul and love into this eternal story! There are more moments of true wisdom tucked away in this biographical novel than in any other book I've read outside of The Book... and it's all nestled effortlessly in a touching, gripping, fascinatin
Diane Barnes
I know I'll be in the minority here. This should be read and enjoyed by those who like Christian fiction for what it offers. I'm just not one of them. Having said that, the story was inspiring, as were the mountain people of Cutter Gap, and the character of Christy herself, based on the experiences of the author's mother.
E.F.B.
I listened to this on audio, so pardon any misspellings!

Okay, this is going to be a complicated review. In my opinion, Christy is a good book, just maybe not for all audiences. I'm giving it a solid 3.5 stars for "didn't-love-didn't-hate-but-liked-it-more-than-3 stars-but-not-quite-4-stars". There were things I liked and things I didn't like and things that simply were. Things that were uplifting and things that were depressing. I liked Christy herself for the most part. She was lively, and an e
Anne
Christy is a 1967 historical fiction Christian novel set in the Appalachian Mountains of Cutter Gap, Tennessee in 1912. The story is based on the life of the author’s mother and her experiences teaching school in this rural area as a young woman.

Only recently did I hear about this book and wanted to read it because the (fictional) setting of Cutter Gap is adjacent to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park where I have visited numerous times over my life since it is only a short drive away Geor
Celeste
Full review now posted!

This book is billed as the first Christian fiction novel. Before this point, an author’s faith might be woven through their work, but that didn’t put it in a different genre. Thanks to Marshall’s novel, an entirely new genre was born and has now split into multiple subgenres. The biggest awards for Christian fiction remains the Christy Awards in honor of this book. If there is any classic of the genre, it would obviously have to be this book, which meant it was something t
Shantelle
Is this the end? Why isn't there more! :'( This was my first time reading Christy by Catherine Marshall ... and I loved it! Why didn't I read it sooner?? My only complaint is that the book ended. ;)

More thoughts to come, potentially.

Now, onto Julie!
Jocelyn Green
This was my second time reading Christy, and I enjoyed it more than I did the first time. Actually I listened to the audiobook this time, narrated by Kellie Martin, and it was well done.

I love this book for many reasons, not the least of which is how each character is so sensitively drawn, and how spiritual themes are integral to the story without being forced. I also love that disparate views--the superstitions of the Mountain People, Dr. McNeil's no-nonsense scientific worldview, Miss Alice's
Natasha
Nov 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was the book that spawned adult reading for me. My mom read it aloud on a car trip to the Smokey Mountains. The characters are engaging and could walk off the page. Truly the first experience I had with characters that i would recognize if they walked into the room.

Fifteen years later, this book remains the only book I've ever read that still holds all it's charm and wonder with each reread. I make a piont to reread it at least every two years.

Cutter Gap and it's people are very much alive
Luisa Knight
Cleanliness: Towards the end of Chapter 7 (pg 102), it mentions that a “little girl was beaten over and over by her mother’s lover, …brutally raped” and as a result, died the next day. It references it again, later down the page and again two pages later.
Chapter 33 is a woman explaining about how a man who came into her Quaker community seduced and raped her. It is detailed and graphic enough that I recommend reading it first in order to determine if you want your children reading it.
A few pag
Noel Branham
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Christy in two days. Not only was it a beautifully written and timeless narrative of Appalachian culture, it was also a most refreshing romance. There are two main men in this book, the young Pastor, David and Dr. Neil MacNeil a self-proclaimed atheist. What strikes me so throughly is the fact that both men are a perfect foil for one another. In a sense, I feel that the Rev. David is unknowingly an atheist and similarly Dr. MacNeil a devout Christian by the book’s end. This is the power o ...more
Jessaka
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
What a beautiful book. Wish I had known of it before and wish I knew of more like it. I love stories about life in the mountains back in the turn of the century, but while this book was in 1912, it was still back then. For a person, like me, who has always wanted to live like Christy had, I would not have lasted. Like other teachers who came to teach there, I would have left in a heartbeat, and so I would have missed learning about their ways, their use of herbs, etc.

Christy has her work cut out
Callie
Nov 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
1.5/5 stars.

I probably would never have read this book, but my book club decided to pick it up. I vaguely remember watching some of the TV series when I was a kid, but that's all I had to go on before jumping into this story.

Oy, I have thoughts about this book.

What I Liked:

I listened to this book on audio, and I honestly think that is the way to go. I don't know if I would have enjoyed reading this book in print, but the audio is read by the same actress who played Christy on the TV series, and
Karina
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED LOVED this read. I honestly thought it was a romance novel and I steered clear of it for so long. I read this at a time when I needed it. I will say it reads more like a Christian novel so if you aren't into that maybe you will not like it but you should definitely still give it a try.

Christy, at the tender age of 19, feels it within her to go teach in the Smoky Mountains and help these helpless people. She learns so much about their resilience and their fierce pride that she begins to
Melindam
Hmm. This was an interesting book to read. There were some strong, positive aspects to it, but towards the end it became rushed and muddled and it didn't really have a proper ending, just a blunt & crude CUT which left me unsatisfied.

More thoughts to come.
Melissa
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
3rd read. Funny how reading books at different times makes a difference. When I read it in the late 90s in high school, I remember not enjoying it much because of ALL THE NATURE DESCRIPTIONS. I remember rolling my eyes, wondering when the next time she'd walk over a babbling brook and smell the flowers and feel the wind in her hair while hearing the birds tweet as they flew over the rainbow over the dusky blue mountains or something. ha. Then a decade later I read it and just loved it and though ...more
AnnaMay
Jun 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, beautiful book.

I absolutely loved the descriptions of the Smoky Mt. area and the people. It was wonderful to know more of their heritage and what contributed to their stubborness, their 'clan' loyalty and their work ethic.

Marshall is such a GOOD storyteller. The characters and conflicts were so real. The school children were a delight to read about. I can't even begin to understand how she handled 70+- kids in a one-room school. Amazing.

It's no surprise people fell in love with Chr
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
What a delight to reread this favorite book from my adolescence as we celebrate its 50th anniversary!

When I first read this book as a young teenager, I fell in love with the characters, the setting, and the call to be a teacher. This was Christian fiction before the distinction became part of our vocabulary. Reading it as an adult, I fell in love with it all over again. This time though, I bring a new set of life experiences and heartbreaks and joys to the table and in that way the story came al
Kat
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a delightful book. My mom, sister and I used to love watching historicals together when we were younger, and I remember watching this when it was made into a miniseries. The book is even better, giving a great glimpse of the poverty and lack of opportunity in Appalachia back in the early 1900's when young Christy Huddleston goes into the Smoky Mountains to become a schoolteacher. Such memorable characters and just a great all-around read. 4.5/5 stars. ...more
Abigayle Claire
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I. loved. this. book. What more is there to say? Of course I had my dislikes, but that's one of the signs of a well-rounded story in my opinion. The characters were so human, but they all strived to be more and do more. It was enchanting to read while being the same age as Christy (19). Cutter Gap has so many quirks and such personality it's hard not to like it among all the backward thinking and poverty. I enjoyed Christy's journey of faith as it was very blunt and realistic--she didn't shy awa ...more
I wondered if this book would hold up to how much I loved it as a fifteen to twenty-two-year-old when I was frequently rereading it. This is one of those rare books that seems to grow with you and always have new things to discover.

The heart of this book is about God's love for us and how it is reflected in his people. With realistic characters with different motivations and approaches, you can see so many different aspects. I could write a very long post just about the different kinds of love.

T
Camie
Mar 20, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic novel in which the author pays tribute to the life of her mother who was a very young and first-time visiting school teacher in the remote Smokey Mountains of Tennessee at the turn of the century. The main character (named Christy in the book) is there as part of a Christian Mission so the story highlights the spiritual aspect along with the educational and most importantly the humanitarian help that is brought to the people of Cutter Gap.
Overall a story about how one person can make
Shiloah
I waited far too long in my life to read this gem. What a beautiful story!
Rachel Fordham
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this for the first time when I was a teenager and was swept away then. I still find it just as mesmerizing. I love that we get to experience this new culture right along with Christy. I will say the relationship is rushed and I would have liked more development there.
Bekah Porter-Sandy
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Some books grab you by the heart and never let you go. For me, there are three: "Gone With the Wind," "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe," and then "Christy." I try to annually read each, although in recent years (with a new marriage, new college focus, and cross-country move), I have failed in that effort.
This year, I decided to rectify that situation, and I am ever so glad that I did, especially with this particular novel.
I first read it as a teenager, and it captured my soul then. I loved

• The Bridge to Cutter Gap (Christy, #1)
  • Love Comes Softly (Love Comes Softly, #1)
  • Silent Superstitions (Christy, #2)
  • Christy's Choice (Christy, #6)
  • The Proposal (Christy, #5)
  • Mrs. Mike (Mrs. Mike, #1)
  • Midnight Rescue (Christy, #4)
  • Jacob Deshazer: Forgive Your Enemies
  • The Angry Intruder (Christy, #3)
  • Hallelujah: Cultivating Advent Traditions With Handel's Messiah
  • Heart of Courage (Viking Quest, #4)
  • Passion and Purity: Learning to Bring Your Love Life Under Christ's Control
  • Raider's Promise (Viking Quest, #5)
  • The Shunning (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #1)
  • The Invisible Friend (Viking Quest, #3)
  • Mystery of the Silver Coins (Viking Quest, #2)
  • Drums of Change: The Story of Running Fawn (Women of the West, #12)
  • My Tech-Wise Life: Growing Up and Making Choices in a World of Devices
See top shelves…
Marshall was born in Johnson City, Tennessee. She was the daughter of the Reverend John Ambrose Wood and Leonora Whitaker Wood. From the age of nine until her graduation from high school, Marshall was raised in Keyser, West Virginia, where her father served as pastor of a Presbyterian church from 1924 to 1942.

While a junior at Agnes Scott College, she met Peter Marshall, marrying him in 1936. The