Start by marking “Christy” as Want to Read:
Christy

Christy

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  49,309 ratings  ·  1,798 reviews
The train taking nineteen-year-old teacher Christy Huddleston from her home in Asheville, North Carolina, might as well be transporting her to another world. The Smoky Mountain community of Cutter Gap feels suspended in time, trapped by poverty, superstitions, and century-old traditions.

But as Christy struggles to find acceptance in her new home, some see her — and her one
Published December 31st 2001 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published June 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Christy, please sign up.
Jordan Lombard I too loved the show, and read the book years ago when the show was either on, or had just finished, I think. The book was fabulous, and I'm now rerea…moreI too loved the show, and read the book years ago when the show was either on, or had just finished, I think. The book was fabulous, and I'm now rereading it as an audiobook, narrated by the actress that played Christy in the show. Fantastic narration. Love both. Wish I could get my hands on the show to watch again.(less)
Suzan Absolutely. My mother gave it to and I read it over and over as a teen. It's one of several books I have been reading again lately as what I call sent…moreAbsolutely. My mother gave it to and I read it over and over as a teen. It's one of several books I have been reading again lately as what I call sentimental reading.
(less)

·  49,309 ratings  ·  1,798 reviews

Start your review of Christy
Majenta
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, beautiful! I am so glad I read it, and I heartily recommend it to anyone and everyone who wants a deep and wondrous read. Featuring a man calling his wife and son "twitter-witted"....

Thanks for reading!
Bobby Underwood
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This warm and heartfelt novel is Catherine Marshall's loving tribute to her mother Lenora Woods' journey to Cutter Gap, in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee, to teach its children shortly after the turn of the century. The effect it had on her mother's life and faith is captured with warmth and beauty in this fine audio book. It is made all the more special because it is read by Kellie Martin, who starred in the two-hour television adaptation, and the series that followed.

It is rare when an audio
Michelle
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Okay - so I have read this book about 10 times, most recently 2008. It is about a young women who heads to the mountains to become a school teacher and the challenges she faces. There are two hunky guys she flirts with, too. This book does have religious tones while Christy questions and figures out what she believes. I think this book rings so true to me because I read it at an age when I was asking the same type of questions. I still enjoy the beauty of the story after repeat readings. This ma ...more
Amanda Tero
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Growing up, I heard that Christy wasn’t a book to read or series appropriate to watch. Then I realized I wasn’t a teen anymore. This book was recommended to me as a research read, and I can say I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was so authentic and captivating. It half read as biography, half as fiction. The stories were so complex that it makes me think “you can’t make this stuff up.” It really was fascinating and overall I loved it.

Romantically speaking, there are primarily two scenes that I would n
Carly
For anyone who says that reading fiction is not as edifying and worthwhile as reading a non-fiction book, I say, "Have you read Christy?"

I mourn that Catherine Marshall wasn't around in my lifetime, but I feel so utterly blessed that she poured her heart and soul and love into this eternal story! There are more moments of true wisdom tucked away in this biographical novel than in any other book I've read outside of The Book... and it's all nestled effortlessly in a touching, gripping, fascinatin
E.F.B.
I listened to this on audio, so pardon any misspellings!

Okay, this is going to be a complicated review. In my opinion, Christy is a good book, just maybe not for all audiences. I'm giving it a solid 3.5 stars for "didn't-love-didn't-hate-but-liked-it-more-than-3 stars-but-not-quite-4-stars". There were things I liked and things I didn't like and things that simply were. Things that were uplifting and things that were depressing. I liked Christy herself for the most part. She was lively, and an e
Celeste
Full review now posted!

This book is billed as the first Christian fiction novel. Before this point, an author’s faith might be woven through their work, but that didn’t put it in a different genre. Thanks to Marshall’s novel, an entirely new genre was born and has now split into multiple subgenres. The biggest awards for Christian fiction remains the Christy Awards in honor of this book. If there is any classic of the genre, it would obviously have to be this book, which meant it was something t
Natasha
Nov 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was the book that spawned adult reading for me. My mom read it aloud on a car trip to the Smokey Mountains. The characters are engaging and could walk off the page. Truly the first experience I had with characters that i would recognize if they walked into the room.

Fifteen years later, this book remains the only book I've ever read that still holds all it's charm and wonder with each reread. I make a piont to reread it at least every two years.

Cutter Gap and it's people are very much alive
Jocelyn Green
This was my second time reading Christy, and I enjoyed it more than I did the first time. Actually I listened to the audiobook this time, narrated by Kellie Martin, and it was well done.

I love this book for many reasons, not the least of which is how each character is so sensitively drawn, and how spiritual themes are integral to the story without being forced. I also love that disparate views--the superstitions of the Mountain People, Dr. McNeil's no-nonsense scientific worldview, Miss Alice's
Shantelle
Is this the end? Why isn't there more! :'( This was my first time reading Christy by Catherine Marshall ... and I loved it! Why didn't I read it sooner?? My only complaint is that the book ended. ;)

More thoughts to come, potentially.

Now, onto Julie!
Noel Branham
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Christy in two days. Not only was it a beautifully written and timeless narrative of Appalachian culture, it was also a most refreshing romance. There are two main men in this book, the young Pastor, David and Dr. Neil MacNeil a self-proclaimed atheist. What strikes me so throughly is the fact that both men are a perfect foil for one another. In a sense, I feel that the Rev. David is unknowingly an atheist and similarly Dr. MacNeil a devout Christian by the book’s end. This is the power o ...more
AnnaMay
Jun 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, beautiful book.

I absolutely loved the descriptions of the Smoky Mt. area and the people. It was wonderful to know more of their heritage and what contributed to their stubborness, their 'clan' loyalty and their work ethic.

Marshall is such a GOOD storyteller. The characters and conflicts were so real. The school children were a delight to read about. I can't even begin to understand how she handled 70+- kids in a one-room school. Amazing.

It's no surprise people fell in love with Chr
Callie
Nov 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
1.5/5 stars.

I probably would never have read this book, but my book club decided to pick it up. I vaguely remember watching some of the TV series when I was a kid, but that's all I had to go on before jumping into this story.

Oy, I have thoughts about this book.

What I Liked:

I listened to this book on audio, and I honestly think that is the way to go. I don't know if I would have enjoyed reading this book in print, but the audio is read by the same actress who played Christy on the TV series, and
Melindam
Hmm. This was an interesting book to read. There were some strong, positive aspects to it, but towards the end it became rushed and muddled and it didn't really have a proper ending, just a blunt & crude CUT which left me unsatisfied.

More thoughts to come.
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
What a delight to reread this favorite book from my adolescence as we celebrate its 50th anniversary!

When I first read this book as a young teenager, I fell in love with the characters, the setting, and the call to be a teacher. This was Christian fiction before the distinction became part of our vocabulary. Reading it as an adult, I fell in love with it all over again. This time though, I bring a new set of life experiences and heartbreaks and joys to the table and in that way the story came al
Abigayle Claire
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I. loved. this. book. What more is there to say? Of course I had my dislikes, but that's one of the signs of a well-rounded story in my opinion. The characters were so human, but they all strived to be more and do more. It was enchanting to read while being the same age as Christy (19). Cutter Gap has so many quirks and such personality it's hard not to like it among all the backward thinking and poverty. I enjoyed Christy's journey of faith as it was very blunt and realistic--she didn't shy awa ...more
Luisa Knight
Cleanliness: Towards the end of Chapter 7 (pg 102), it mentions that a “little girl was beaten over and over by her mother’s lover, …brutally raped” and as a result, died the next day. It references it again, later down the page and again two pages later.
Chapter 33 is a woman explaining about how a man who came into her Quaker community seduced and raped her. It is detailed and graphic enough that I recommend reading it first in order to determine if you want your children reading it.
A few pag
I wondered if this book would hold up to how much I loved it as a fifteen to twenty-two-year-old when I was frequently rereading it. This is one of those rare books that seems to grow with you and always have new things to discover.

The heart of this book is about God's love for us and how it is reflected in his people. With realistic characters with different motivations and approaches, you can see so many different aspects. I could write a very long post just about the different kinds of love.

T
Rachel Fordham
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this for the first time when I was a teenager and was swept away then. I still find it just as mesmerizing. I love that we get to experience this new culture right along with Christy. I will say the relationship is rushed and I would have liked more development there.
Shiloah
I waited far too long in my life to read this gem. What a beautiful story!
Bekah Porter-Sandy
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Some books grab you by the heart and never let you go. For me, there are three: "Gone With the Wind," "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe," and then "Christy." I try to annually read each, although in recent years (with a new marriage, new college focus, and cross-country move), I have failed in that effort.
This year, I decided to rectify that situation, and I am ever so glad that I did, especially with this particular novel.
I first read it as a teenager, and it captured my soul then. I loved
Miss Hall
Jan 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
I was skeptical of this book at first, however, I am so glad that I stuck with it. I reached a point where I didn't want to put it down (yes, I did stay up all hours reading it...). This book entails a young woman's sudden decision to travel to the poverty-striken Applachain Mountains and become a school teacher. Her lifestyle dramatically changes from a normal, safe, and predictable life to one with primitive accomodations (no electricity, telephones, plumbing), surrounded with filth, disease, ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Not a bad read, more of a romance than I care for. My first girl friend wanted me to read it....nuff said.

Like I said pretty good, follows the story of a young girl as she sets out to help the poor in Appalachia. As someone who grew up in the foothills of the Smokies I'm somewhat ambivalent about that part of the book. Yes it's a part of the country that has a troubled and difficult past, but there is a certain selfrightousness that goes with a lot of the "do-gooder" attitude I've seen.

But, with
Kat
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a delightful book. My mom, sister and I used to love watching historicals together when we were younger, and I remember watching this when it was made into a miniseries. The book is even better, giving a great glimpse of the poverty and lack of opportunity in Appalachia back in the early 1900's when young Christy Huddleston goes into the Smoky Mountains to become a schoolteacher. Such memorable characters and just a great all-around read. 4.5/5 stars.
Jeanette
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a classic read from both "eyes" of the era it was written and also the place/time that encompasses the copy of Christy's tale of coming to the mountains to be teacher.

It's very long- at least 2 books length. Yet because it embraces so many myriad aspects of Christy's life, schoolhouse and entire mixes of associations in Cutter Gap locale- it still delights.

Because I did not read this when I was young, I was surprised at the reviews which some specify as "romantic". I didn't feel that was th
Victoria Lynn
3.5 stars.
I liked this story. having seen the tv show first, then read the book once I was old enough, I found it a very accurate, picture of the place and time. Be forewarned, it can come across as depressing, and in my humble opinion, the story line was better in the tv series.

There was a bit of graphic material and depressing things in this movie as well as one or two scenes that were a bit out of place and inappropriate. recommended for 16+ because of mature content.

Kate Quinn
May 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
I am not normally a fan of evangelical novels, but "Christy" is an exception. The titular heroine is an idealistic young girl in the 19th century who finds herself moved to volunteer as a teacher in an impoverished Appalachian town. Christy struggles to understand her pupils, their insular mountain culture, and ultimately her own faith and what it means to her. Unlike many evangelical novels, faith is not the character's sole concern: Christy spends plenty of time worrying about how to get new b ...more
Emilee
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely story. It's a classic. I'm glad I took the time to read it. Christy contemplates life, God and what she is meant to do with her life. She spends a lot of time reflecting these things. I enjoyed the relationships and the adventures.
Carole Jarvis
Reviewed at The Power of Words: http://bit.ly/2krAJm5

To say that Christy is a classic is true, but that really doesn’t do it justice. Christy is a masterpiece in which lyrical writing, vivid setting, and complex characters come together in a beautifully fascinating and compelling story that’s worth reading again and again – just as relevant today as when it was first written. The best books are life changing, and that’s the impact it had on me when first reading it as a teen. But now, reading it
Ann-Marie
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Just seeing the title brought back to me the sight of this book in "Woodside School's" library lo those many years ago. I think I was in 7th grade. All I remember about it was Christy was a teacher.

I am giving it 4 stars, because I have a warm glow thinking about it. I was/am a constant reader, so it must have been a good book to have left an impression on my heart.

• The Bridge to Cutter Gap (Christy, #1)
  • Love Comes Softly (Love Comes Softly, #1)
  • Silent Superstitions (Christy, #2)
  • Mrs. Mike (Mrs. Mike, #1)
  • The Proposal (Christy, #5)
  • The Angry Intruder (Christy, #3)
  • Two from Galilee: The Story of Mary and Joseph
  • Midnight Rescue (Christy, #4)
  • At Home in Mitford (Mitford Years, #1)
  • The Robe
  • Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1)
  • When Calls the Heart (Canadian West, #1)
  • Cold Sassy Tree
  • Christy's Choice (Christy, #6)
  • The Last Sin Eater
  • Tisha: The Story of a Young Teacher in the Alaskan Wilderness
  • Little Women
  • The Trumpet of the Swan
Marshall was born in Johnson City, Tennessee.[1][2] She was the daughter of the Reverend John Ambrose Wood and Leonora Whitaker Wood.[1] From the age of nine until her graduation from high school, Marshall was raised in Keyser, West Virginia,[1] where her father served as pastor of a Presbyterian church from 1924 to 1942.[1]

While a junior at Agnes Scott College, she met Peter Marshall, marrying hi

News & Interviews

“A Christian has no business being satisfied with mediocrity. He's supposed to reach for the stars. Why not? He's not on his own anymore. He has God's help now.” 68 likes
“Evil is real - and powerful. It has to be fought, not explained away, not fled. And God is against evil all the way. So each of us has to decide where WE stand, how we're going to live OUR lives. We can try to persuade ourselves that evil doesn't exist; live for ourselves and wink at evil. We can say that it isn't so bad after all, maybe even try to call it fun by clothing it in silks and velvets. We can compromise with it, keep quiet about it and say it's none of our business. Or we can work on God's side, listen for His orders on strategy against the evil, no matter how horrible it is, and know that He can transform it.” 61 likes