Start by marking “Julie” as Want to Read:
Julie

Julie

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  3,303 Ratings  ·  175 Reviews
Inspired like Christy, by Catherine Marshall's own life, Julie explores the miracle of faith against a background of small-town America coming of age, with a story and a heroine who is unforgettable powerful and alive.
Published December 31st 2001 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Julie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Julie

Majenta
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On a lighter note, it's a good thing that Miss Emily Cruley at THE SENTINEL didn't have a nice younger brother or nephew that might have fallen in love with Julie and made her....Julie Cruley!
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: junior high and up
I had forgotten how much I enjoyed reading Catherine Marshall's "Christy" until reading "Julie". Everything about this book is wholesome and uplifting. It also offers a peek into a steel mining Pennsylvania town during the depression. I did a bit of fact checking and learned that the life, conflicts, and trials portrayed are quite accurate; especially of the great flood. Reading about the flood was as heart thumping and tragic as about anything I've experienced.
Kelsey Bryant
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had been wanting to read Julie ever since I'd heard about it after finishing Catherine Marshall's Christy. Since I also had determined to read books set in the 1930s during January, it was convenient to kill two birds with one stone and devour Julie!

I enjoy realistic fiction, so I appreciated Marshall's way of telling the story. She wrote mainly nonfiction, and her two novels were based on her mother's young womanhood and her own young womanhood, respectively. So the details made me feel like
Tamhack
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All through the book I kept waiting for the flood to happen but Marshall keeps you hanging on until the last minute as she follows the struggles of a teenage girl and her family struggling in 1935. The book is about life and people (human nature-a both ends of the spectrum), a little romance -how they help each other through life. The author gives a good description of a steel factory. That was fascinating. The book describes the struggles of a small newspaper. Even though the time period of the ...more
Alicia
Julie was a wonderful story about a young woman who moves with her family to Alderton, a town essentially run by the steel mill, during the Great Depression to run the newspaper there. Through the newspaper, Julie and her father bring to light some important issues that town industry executives don't want examined...and ignore with devastating consequences.

I've been wanting to read this ever since I read Christy a while back, and I loved it! Catherine Marshall has a way with words, making you f
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Though lauded as a sequel to "Christy", it was not. It is an interesting story but it's definitely meant for the female gender.
NebraskaIcebergs
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Catherine Marshall's writing career spanned over thirty years and included almost twenty books. Her final book, Julie, I picked up this summer to reread for two reasons. First, no matter where I find myself in my spiritual walk, Marshall's books always increase my faith. Second, the main character clings to the dream I have also held all my life, which is to be an author. This third reread resulted in my appreciating Julie for other reasons too.

Like many who grow up in the Christian faith, Julie
Loraine
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SUMMARY: Julie Wallace is just eighteen in 1934 when her father risks their life savings on a struggling newspaper and moves the family to a flood-prone Pennsylvania town.

It is here a young woman's convictions take firm root, as Julie finds herself taking sides when battle lines are drawn between desperate steelworkers and the mill owners who control their lives. And it is here where her heart and her loyalties are torn, divided between two special men. But when a devastating natural catastrophe
Melissa
Mar 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Summary: Marshall, author of the classic Christy, drew on her life experiences for this coming-of-age story in which a young girl discovers herself and the strength of her faith.

Julie, is a heartwarming, coming of age story about the struggles a young lady enounters with her family in post-depression Pennsylvania. Julie's family purchase the small town's local newspaper, and in doing so, enouncouter financial, political, and faith-based, tests. Her father's chronic illness, propels Julie in to
Carrie
Oct 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Carrie by: Jessica Newton
What did you think?! 5 22 Dec 17, 2012 07:14AM
  • Captive Heart (Trade Winds #1)
  • Two from Galilee: The Story of Mary and Joseph
  • The Bluebird and the Sparrow
  • Daughter of Grace (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #2)
  • Papa's Wife (The Franzons, #1)
  • Toward the Sunrising (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #4)
  • A Lantern in Her Hand
  • A Thousand Shall Fall (Shiloh Legacy #2)
  • Heart of the Lonely Exile (Emerald Ballad #2)
  • The Marquis' Secret
Marshall was born in Johnson City, Tennessee.[1][2] She was the daughter of the Reverend John Ambrose Wood and Leonora Whitaker Wood.[1] From the age of nine until her graduation from high school, Marshall was raised in Keyser, West Virginia,[1] where her father served as pastor of a Presbyterian church from 1924 to 1942.[1]

While a junior at Agnes Scott College, she met Peter Marshall, marrying hi
More about Catherine Marshall...

“I'm all for Spencer. He's sincere, idealistic, and a good preacher. I just don't believe that social action is the main business of the Church."
"Then what is?"
"Salvation.”
2 likes
“His theology is mostly focused on helping people with their physical needs. All that's important, of course, but he'll hit a dry spell someday and need something more than social causes to keep him going." ...
"if you're serious about writing on the deeper life, you simply cannot ignore the centrality of Jesus and the Holy Spirit.”
2 likes