Start by marking “Julie” as Want to Read:

Will the dam hold?

Julie Wallace has always wanted to write. Trying to escape the Great Depression, Julie’s father buys The Alderton Sentinel, a small-town newspaper in flood-prone Alderton, Pennsylvania, and moves his family there. As flash floods ominously increase, Julie’s investigative reporting uncovers secrets that could endanger the entire community.

Julie, the
Published December 31st 2001 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published June 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Julie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Julie

Start your review of Julie
Majenta
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On a lighter note, it's a good thing that Miss Emily Cruley at THE SENTINEL didn't have a nice younger brother or nephew that might have fallen in love with Julie and made her....Julie Cruley!
Megan
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Julie” by Catherine Marshall is another Christian classic that every Christian should read! “Julie” is brought to you by the same author of the beloved classic “Christy” (after which the prestigious Christy Awards are named). I read “Christy” growing up and loved the book and the movies. Somehow though, I completely missed “Julie” when it was first published, so when I saw that it was being reissued, I knew I had to read and review it! I’m so glad I did!

I love the setting and the premise of the
Alicia
Julie was a wonderful story about a young woman who moves with her family to Alderton, a town essentially run by the steel mill, during the Great Depression to run the newspaper there. Through the newspaper, Julie and her father bring to light some important issues that town industry executives don't want examined...and ignore with devastating consequences.

I've been wanting to read this ever since I read Christy a while back, and I loved it! Catherine Marshall has a way with words, making you
Kelsey Bryant
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. I had been wanting to read Julie ever since I'd heard about it after finishing Catherine Marshall's Christy. Since I also had determined to read books set in the 1930s during January, it was convenient to kill two birds with one stone and devour Julie!

I enjoy realistic fiction, so I appreciated Marshall's way of telling the story. She wrote mainly nonfiction, and her two novels were based on her mother's young womanhood and her own young womanhood, respectively. So the details made me
Tamhack
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All through the book I kept waiting for the flood to happen but Marshall keeps you hanging on until the last minute as she follows the struggles of a teenage girl and her family struggling in 1935. The book is about life and people (human nature-a both ends of the spectrum), a little romance -how they help each other through life. The author gives a good description of a steel factory. That was fascinating. The book describes the struggles of a small newspaper. Even though the time period of the ...more
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: junior high and up
I had forgotten how much I enjoyed reading Catherine Marshall's "Christy" until reading "Julie". Everything about this book is wholesome and uplifting. It also offers a peek into a steel mining Pennsylvania town during the depression. I did a bit of fact checking and learned that the life, conflicts, and trials portrayed are quite accurate; especially of the great flood. Reading about the flood was as heart thumping and tragic as about anything I've experienced.
Loraine
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SUMMARY: Julie Wallace is just eighteen in 1934 when her father risks their life savings on a struggling newspaper and moves the family to a flood-prone Pennsylvania town.

It is here a young woman's convictions take firm root, as Julie finds herself taking sides when battle lines are drawn between desperate steelworkers and the mill owners who control their lives. And it is here where her heart and her loyalties are torn, divided between two special men. But when a devastating natural catastrophe
Rosa
Dec 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any female who is going through a struggling time
Shelves: own-it
This book is really good to read. I heard about the review of this book from Amazon.com
This book is something that you can relate to if you are going through a struggling time in your life and if your life is in transition. Catherine Marshal is such a great author, she writes nice books.
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Though lauded as a sequel to "Christy", it was not. It is an interesting story but it's definitely meant for the female gender.
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review coming soon
Mel
Mar 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Summary: Marshall, author of the classic Christy, drew on her life experiences for this coming-of-age story in which a young girl discovers herself and the strength of her faith.

Julie, is a heartwarming, coming of age story about the struggles a young lady enounters with her family in post-depression Pennsylvania. Julie's family purchase the small town's local newspaper, and in doing so, enouncouter financial, political, and faith-based, tests. Her father's chronic illness, propels Julie in to
Carrie
Oct 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Carrie by: Jessica Newton
Shantelle
Julie by Catherine Marshall was quite interesting and unique. (But I definitely didn't like it as much as Christy.) There were a few small things that bothered me ... and overall, it wasn't as satisfying as Catherine Marshall's other novel. But all in all, it was a thought-provoking and good read.
Tracie
Jun 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Loved this book--captivating story of a 1930s Pennsylvania family--with a historical backdrop that will make you laugh and cry. Julie is a crusader, has a heart for the hurting, and...well, you just need to read it for yourselves!
Susan
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Julie" is set in the 1930s Depression era, although Catherine Marshall actually wrote it in the 1970s. It was published after her 1983 death. The basic story is of 18-year-old Julie Wallace and her family. They have recently moved to Pennsylvania from another state, where her dad was a pastor. Some mysterious situations led to his resignation there, and he has now decided to become the editor of a newspaper in the fictional town of Alderton. Alderton has a large steel industry, and a dam — ...more
Annette
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Source: Complimentary ebook from Just Read Tours and Evergreen Farm.
Recently, I read and reviewed the first fiction book Catherine Marshall published, Christy. Christy and Julie have both been republished by Evergreen Farm. Christy is based on Marshall’s mother, and Julie is based on Marshall’s life. The time period for Christy is 1912. The time period for Julie is 1934-35.
It’s been a while back, but I read a nonfiction book about the Johnston Flood of 1889. Later, I found out a family friend
Rebekah Gyger
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It wasn't until this edition was announced that I even knew Catherine Marshall had written anything other than Christy. And while I was super excited to see another book by her, I was also disappointed that it was not a sequel to Christy, which I had felt ended on a cliffhanger with some unanswered questions. However, Julie stands on its own as a really good read, and I am so glad that I finally learned about it.

Set in the mid-1930's in Pennsylvania, Julie's story is one quite a bit removed from
Lana Del Slay
May 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: done-reviewed
Second reading, Jan 2019. Still a two-star for Reasons:

(view spoiler)
Shirleen
May 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
When I was young Catherine Marshall was one of my favorite authors and her book Christy was one of my favorite books. So when I saw this book, I was excited to read it. I loved the story - it's an old fashioned romance/adventure/coming of age/thought provoking story of Julie Wallace, 18 years old. Her father, a minister, resigns his job because of some disagreement within his church and he uses all of the family savings to open a newspaper in Pennsylvania during the depression years. She helps ...more
Nancy Bandusky
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a delightful, yet tragic, story that I just finished - again. This novel is one that can be reread numerous times and enjoyed at different stages in one's life.

The characters are refreshingly not perfect as they struggle with life in a small town. While set in the 1930s, the problems they face are still with us today - environmental issues, money vs. safety, corruption, exclusive vs. inclusive (even in church), priorities ... and finding love.

While written by a Christian author, the
Chelsi
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
To be honest, when I first started reading this book, it didn't really interest me. It's not exactly plot-driven. Reaching the climax is almost painfully slow sometimes and there are also many points that get bogged down by needless description. However, I gave it four stars, so I obviously liked it. And yes, I did. Somewhere among the digressions and slowness, I enjoyed this book. Julie is a relatable and fun character, so reading about her life became endearing over time. In addition, Marshall ...more
Wendy
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-adult
It's interesting how different people get different things out of the same book and how one person might get different things at different times. Although the coming of age story and the romantic triangle were always there, to me they were in the background. the real story seemed to be about how many of the upper class ignored problems (social, safety, and ecological) in their pursuit of the almighty dollar and how influential people misuse their power to manipulate the media, the community, and ...more
Clara Roberts
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
While I did not enjoy Marshall's non-fiction books, I did enjoy this novel. It is the story of a minister who becomes the editor and publisher of a small newspaper in PA dduring the 1930's. The book reminded me of the violent union activity that I had studied about in economic history class while a student at NTSU. Marshall did a lot of research about the various printing presses that were in use during that time as well as reseach about the building of dams. This might bore some readers. I ...more
Tessa
Jul 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book on the top book shelf in my sisters room. I doubted anyone in the family has even read it, but I picked it up anyway. In the end, I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. I seem to be reading books in which I can relate to the characters (for example, Up a Road Slowly, Jacob Have I Loved). This was another book where I related to the main character, Julie. She was young, blunt, had pretty strong opinions, and loved writing. The time period was in 1930's, and it was ...more
Kelly
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-12
I actually wasn't sure I was going to like this book at first. It was fine, but I wasn't totally into it. It turned out to be a lot more thought provoking than I originally thought it would be. If you are interested in labor unions, religion, or history, and like historical fiction, this could be a fascinating read for you. It's a fictional version of the author's own life - not a clear autobiography - but a lot of the experiences of the main character happened to Catherine Marshall.
Kristen
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Diana
I have read this one countless times. Catherine Marshall is my favorite author. My only regret is that she only wrote three books in her lifetime. This is her best. I cannot overemphasize how incredible her writing is! This is a historical fiction about a young journalist/reporter who tries unsuccessfully to warn others about structural deficiencies in a nearby dam. You won't believe the climax!
Nov 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The fact that it takes her seven years to write one book is evidence of how detailed her writing is. This was an amazing book of historical fiction based partially on her own life. It took me on a real journey and I walked away feeling like I really gained a new perspective from this book. When a book takes me on an adventure, teaches me history and entertains and enthralls me at the same time, it's a winner and I strongly recommend it.
Michelle
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I first read the book Christy written by the same author and I enjoyed that book so much I for more books by this author. I found Julie and was not disappointed. Its a well written book with lots of ups and downs in life. It also shows us that sometimes you have to have something bad to happen before you see the good in people in life. This book is a book that I would read over and over again.
May 25, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: girls
This was a fun story Christian romance novel about a twenty-something girl trying to figure out her ambitions and dealing with the twists and turns of life in a small town community. Her passion for writing and being noticed by a certain Scottish gentleman were adorable. Mostly predictable but enjoyable all the same.
Elaine
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I don't read much by way of Christian Fiction but as Christian Fiction goes I thought this was a good book. Am keen to read more of Catherine Marshall's books. I particularly appreciated that there was quite a storyline and it wasn't all based on romance!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
What did you think?! 5 23 Dec 17, 2012 07:14AM

• A Lantern in Her Hand
  • Two from Galilee: The Story of Mary and Joseph
  • Anything: The Prayer That Unlocked My God and My Soul
  • Streams in the Desert, KJV
  • Just Let Go (Harbor Pointe #2)
  • The Timepiece
  • Mrs. Mike (Mrs. Mike, #1)
  • A Most Noble Heir
  • The Women of Easter: Encounter the Savior with Mary of Bethany, Mary of Nazareth, and Mary Magdalene
  • Nothing to Prove: Why We Can Stop Trying So Hard
  • Stronger than the Struggle: Uncomplicating Your Spiritual Battle
  • The White Umbrella: Walking with Survivors of Sex Trafficking
  • Another View
  • Love's Long Journey (Love Comes Softly #3)
  • A Christmas Visitor (Christmas Stories, #2)
  • Love's Abiding Joy (Love Comes Softly, #4)
  • High Cotton (Bucklin Family Reunion #1)
  • The Christmas Boutique (Elm Creek Quilts #21)
Marshall was born in Johnson City, Tennessee.[1][2] She was the daughter of the Reverend John Ambrose Wood and Leonora Whitaker Wood.[1] From the age of nine until her graduation from high school, Marshall was raised in Keyser, West Virginia,[1] where her father served as pastor of a Presbyterian church from 1924 to 1942.[1]

While a junior at Agnes Scott College, she met Peter Marshall, marrying
“I'm all for Spencer. He's sincere, idealistic, and a good preacher. I just don't believe that social action is the main business of the Church."
"Then what is?"
"Salvation.”
5 likes
“His theology is mostly focused on helping people with their physical needs. All that's important, of course, but he'll hit a dry spell someday and need something more than social causes to keep him going." ...
"if you're serious about writing on the deeper life, you simply cannot ignore the centrality of Jesus and the Holy Spirit.”
2 likes