Start by marking “The Secret Fire (The Alchemist Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Secret Fire (The Alchemist Chronicles, #1)

The Secret Fire

(The Alchemist Chronicles #1)

French teen Sacha Winters can't die. He can throw himself off a roof, be stabbed, even shot, and he will always survive. Until the day when history and ancient enmities dictate that he must die. Worse still, his death will trigger something awful. Something deadly. And that day is closing in.

Taylor Montclair is a normal English girl, hanging out with her friends and studyi
Published September 3rd 2015 by Atom

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. MaasRed Queen by Victoria AveyardMermen by Mimi Jean PamfiloffAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirSix of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
New Series (2015)
447 books — 1,296 voters
Half Wild by Sally GreenThe Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda SalisburyThe Art of Being Normal by Lisa  WilliamsonThe Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick NessFinding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella
UKYA in 2015
147 books — 284 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Secret Fire (The Alchemist Chronicles, #1)
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Actual rating : 2.5 stars

Would I have enjoyed The Secret Fire more if I hadn't read plenty of paranormal young adult books before? Definitely. Sadly, as much as I would want to, I can't unread all these books and that's why I can't ignore all the annoying tropes that spoiled my read.

PART ONE : DO NOT LIKE

Indeed Taylor, the MC, is so perfect and annoying I want to puke. Like, really. Let me draw a little list, okay?

✅ She's a straight-As student and only think about studying, because of cours
Carrie
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Sacha Winters lives in Paris and has a curse upon his family that won't allow him to die, that is until his 18th birthday. Taylor Montclair is a English student who is doing everything she can to get in Oxford, so when her French teacher asks her to tutor a French student in English via the internet she of course agrees since it will look good on her academic resume.

Taylor and Sacha soon find their lives are far more entwined than they would ever have guessed. Taylor just may be the one person
Cody
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, ah-mazing, cover-love
A MAGNIFICENT START TO WHATS SURE TO BE A FANTASTIC POPULAR SERIES!

I don’t have the best relationship with books that have been co-written; I tend to stay away from them, there good just not great. I haven’t read anything by either of these authors but once I read the blurb I just knew I had to request an ARC. I can gladly say that my previous fears for this book being just another average read were completely unnecessary… this was incredible!

Sacha Winters lives in Paris and comes from a family
Sophie
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

As you probably know, C.J. Daugherty has quickly become a favourite author of mine, and as soon as I found out that C.J. had a new series coming out, I knew I needed it! In this series, which she has co-written with French author, Carina Rozenfeld, we are treated to the dual point of view story of Sacha and Taylor, teenagers from France and England, respectively. Sacha is a 17 year old, living in Paris, who
Fafa's Book Corner
Sep 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Cora Tea Party Princess
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
5 Words: Family, history, magic, relationships, danger.

At the beginning I was a little sceptical of this book. But I soon couldn't put it down. It's a fast paced ride so you'd better hold on tight.

I didn't get on super well with the main characters, but I did like how the story had this focus on the relationships that there characters had and how they were all fracturing and changing. Saying that, there was very little romance in this book. YES! That was something that made it very refreshing. N
Banny Carstairs
RESEÑA EN ESPAÑOL

I found the characters too cliché, Taylor mostly. But the main flaw in the book it's that it never turns exciting. There's very little action and it doesn't even take much weight in the story. It has a good plot but its ejecution could've been a lot better.
Justine
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
This first installment was as good as I hoped it would be. It's about "magic", curses, family drama, demons, etc. and it's been a long time since I read a book in the genre that has made me want more. Like, MORE. NOW.
Alex
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Definitelly one of my favourites.
Amy Plum
British Taylor and French Sacha are two teenagers who might possess the power to unravel a thirteen-generation curse. But if they don't, one will die.

A mesmerizing page-turner with a deliciously international flavor and horrifyingly chilling stakes.
Holly Bourne
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant premise, stunning world-building, killer characters and dialogue. You need to get excited about this book. It's like a book version of the really good episodes of Buffy.
Lonna | FLYLēF
FLYLēF Book Reviews

Original Post: The Secret Fire (The Alchemist Chronicles 1) at FLYLēF (www.flylef.com) with 2.5 of 5 rating

“Despite herself, Taylor couldn't help noticing that when Sacha smiled he was really good looking. His cheeks were ridiculous.”

Well, despite myself, I couldn’t help noticing that this description was a bit much, and came off more humorous than heated. But, I’m also not thirteen. The Secret Fire, by C.J. Daugherty, is the first installment in The Alchemist Chronicles. It was an admirable
Lena
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prime-reading, e-book
3,75 stars

I don't really know how I feel about this book.
I definitely like Sacha and Louisa. I'm not sure about Taylor though. She was really insecure about herself.
I somehow feel empty after finishing this story. But it was a good read.

And I did like the idea behind the story. Let's see where this series will take me.
Bee
Nov 21, 2016 rated it liked it
My review can originally be found on Heart Full of Books

I really liked both perspectives. This was a really big plus for me, just because I think we all often tend to favour just one, but that was NOT the case. Taylor is loveable because she’s a good friend and is very sensible, while Sacha has a really strong relationship with his mother and sister and tends to be a little more reckless – but I don’t think that can be helped considering the situation!

The pacing was incredible. I was sucked in f
Sandra
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
There is some potential for the story to develope, but so far I liked it. It may be a bit slow in the beginning but but by the middle of the book the reader gets emmersed in the world the authors are trying to create.
3.5-4 stars
Emilija
Sep 11, 2015 marked it as to-read
WHAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!?????

HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS?!?!??!

I. AM. A. TERRIBLE. FAN.

Amazon, you son of a bitch, I love that you have overnight delivery. I am soooo gonna binge re-read all of Ms Daugherty's books. Fuck yeah.
Karolina Zych
I don't like this book but it wasn't the best i have read. I feel like nothing happened and i don't have any emotions about everything and about characters too.

Rhea Dsouza
So, apparently, books can suck from page one right up until the last page, and I have become tolerant enough to read the entire book.

Who knew?

Don’t get me wrong; this book did have good parts. There was the cover, obviously. Ooooh and the font, goodness gracious the font of the cover is so fantastic. But that’s where the good parts end. For reals.

If you find a more perfect, sweeter, more beautiful girl than Taylor Montclair, I will cut my hair off for real. Taylor was a total wet dream—non-rebel
~Tina~
At first, I didn't even realize this book was co-written. I've never read anything by Rozenfeld before, but I gotta say, she and Daugherty make a good team. The writing was evenly paced, flowed at a steady stream of intrigue and extremely easy to sink into and get lost in the pages. As for Daugherty? She's one of my favorite authors and her Night School books is one of my favorite series. They were unpredictable, gripping and addicting as hell. While I do still miss that world, I was thrilled wh ...more
Tiffa (The Readers Lair)
4.5/5 stars!

Where should I start with this book? From the very first chapter of The Secret Fire, I was completely and utterly hooked. The Secret Fire is told in the dual perspective of the male and female main characters, and as I’ve said a hundred times before, I love books written that way. I love how invested you can get into both characters lives, and see how they interact with each other. The paranormal aspects in The Secret Fire are also really unique and fantastically done and the whole f
Virginie (chouettblog)
“The Secret Fire" is set in Paris….no...let’s do this one again.
“The Secret Fire" is set in Oxford….hmmm not quite :).
“The Secret Fire” is actually set in both Paris and Oxford where we follow French immortal Sacha Winters and British student Taylor Montclair who has just come into her powers.

The further back in time we go and learn about the protagonists’ ancestry, we discover that they came from two enemy clans, but here in the present time, they are both on the same side which is a ray of hop
Shelley
**I received this book for free from (Publisher) via (NetGalley) in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Young Adult, Paranormal
*Rating* 3.5

*My Thoughts*

The Secret Fire is the first installment in The Alchemist Chronicles by author C.J. Daugherty. Daugherty recently wrapped up her Night School series with Endgame, and now enters a whole new world. A world where thanks to a curse, French teenager Sacha Winters can't die.
Gizem Öztürk
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gorgeous-cover
WE HAVE A COVER AND ITS BEAUTIFUL
Maddi
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. Two people, Sasha and Taylor, are destined to meet to save the world. I loved it so much that I had to read it in a restaurant (while eating).
Natália Lopes
Actual rating: 3.5 stars
This book was a surprise, mainly because I had no expectations for it. I found it on my Kindle and realized it's been sitting there for a couple of years, so I thought, 'why not?'. It's not the best fantasy book ever, the premise is very simple and the characters are typical teenagers from YA books, so it leads to a lot of clichés, but it was really entertaining and I found the writing very fluid and after a while, I was really engaged. I love me some magic, curses, and w
Noninuna
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: english-fiction
Taylor is an English girl with straight A's on her report card. Sacha is a French boy with a list of problems longer than his school attendance count. Taylor is striving for Oxford admittance. Sacha wants to drop out of school. One day, upon a request from her teacher, Taylor agrees to help a French boy to study English for her extra credit. Guess who is the boy? Yes, it's Sacha. He is taken aback when his teacher tells him that he will be having a tutoring session with an English student to imp ...more
Claire
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Review: The Secret Fire (The Alchemist Chronicles #1) by C.J. Daugherty & Carina Rozenfeld Publisher: Bookouture (September 3rd, 2015)

ISBN: 978-0349002194

Source: Netgalley

Rating: 5*

Synopsis:
Taylor Montclair is a regular girl from the quiet backwater of Woodbury, England.
Sacha Winters is a darkly mysterious boy from the City of Lights - Paris, France.
While Taylor's focussed on her dream of attending Oxford University, school couldn't be further from Sacha's mind . . .

Sacha knows exactly when
Kayleigh {K-Books}
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
The Secret Fire Review on K-Books

The Secret Fire was one of my most anticipated reads of 2015. I have never read anything by either of these authors previously but after meeting CJ Daugherty at this years YALC I couldn't wait to read her books. I am such a big fan of Fantasy books that I knew that this one is the one that I needed to read. The Secret Fire absolutely blew me away.

Set in both England and France The Secret Fire follows two teens as they put together a mystery that links both of the
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Thanks to Netgalley and Little, Brown Book Group UK for giving this book to review.

French teenager Sacha cannot die, until he turns 18, which will trigger his death and an apocalyptic event. Taylor is a straight A student who believes she is normal until she discovers that she can short out lights with her brain. They discover that Taylor is the only one who can save Sacha but they live in different countries and deadly forces are trying to stop them. Will they be able to break this curse in tim
Sal
4.5 stars. I loved this book! Perhaps not as much as the Night School series but close. CJ truly knows how to write a good story but I must also commend Carina too as both authors seem to make an awesome duo! So much fast paced action, the romance! I eagerly await book 2!

Full review will be posted closer to publication date. All I can say is, I'm truly honoured to have gotten the chance to read an early copy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Demon školske knjižnice
  • Dream Again (Again, #5)
  • Falling Fast (Hailee & Chase, #1)
  • Secret Lives (Darke Academy, #1)
  • Someone Else (Someone #2)
  • Midnightsong. Es begann in New York
  • New Beginnings (Green Valley Love, #1)
  • Save Us (Maxton Hall, #3)
  • Gefangen zwischen den Welten (Welten-Trilogie, #1)
  • MalEducada
  • Bright Blaze of Magic (Black Blade, #3)
  • New Promises (Green Valley Love #2)
  • Flying High (Hailee & Chase, #2)
  • Zerrissen zwischen den Welten (Welten-Trilogie #3)
  • Die verborgenen Insignien des Pan (Pan-Trilogie, #3)
  • Die dunkle Prophezeiung des Pan (Pan-Trilogie #2)
  • Verlasse mich nicht! (GötterFunke #3)
  • Spiel um dein Schicksal (Night of Crowns, #1)
International bestselling author CJ Daugherty is a former newspaper reporter and crime writer. Her Night School series has been translated into 24 languages, and has been a bestseller in multiple countries. She also writes The Echo Killing crime series under the name Christi Daugherty.

Find out more on her website: www.ChristiDaugherty.com on www.facebook.com/CJAuthor and on Twitter: www.twitter.c

The Alchemist Chronicles (2 books)
  • The Secret City (The Alchemist Chronicles, #2)