Start by marking “The Secret Fire (The Alchemist Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Secret Fire (The Alchemist Chronicles, #1)

The Secret Fire

(The Alchemist Chronicles #1)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  1,645 Ratings  ·  349 Reviews
French teen Sacha Winters can't die. He can throw himself off a roof, be stabbed, even shot, and he will always survive. Until the day when history and ancient enmities dictate that he must die. Worse still, his death will trigger something awful. Something deadly. And that day is closing in.

Taylor Montclair is a normal English girl, hanging out with her friends and studyi
Published September 3rd 2015 by Atom

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. MaasMermen by Mimi Jean PamfiloffRed Queen by Victoria AveyardAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirSix of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
New Series (2015)
435 books — 1,311 voters
The Sin Eater’s Daughter by Melinda SalisburyHalf Wild by Sally GreenThe Art of Being Normal by Lisa  WilliamsonThe Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick NessFinding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella
UKYA in 2015
148 books — 288 voters

More lists with this book...

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Actual rating : 2.5 stars

Would I have enjoyed The Secret Fire more if I hadn't read plenty of paranormal young adult books before? Definitely. Sadly, as much as I would want to, I can't unread all these books and that's why I can't ignore all the annoying tropes that spoiled my read.

PART ONE : DO NOT LIKE

Indeed Taylor, the MC, is so perfect and annoying I want to puke. Like, really. Let me draw a little list, okay?

✅ She's a straight-As student and only think about studying, because of cours
Carrie
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Sacha Winters lives in Paris and has a curse upon his family that won't allow him to die, that is until his 18th birthday. Taylor Montclair is a English student who is doing everything she can to get in Oxford, so when her French teacher asks her to tutor a French student in English via the internet she of course agrees since it will look good on her academic resume.

Taylor and Sacha soon find their lives are far more entwined than they would ever have guessed. Taylor just may be the one person
Cody
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ah-mazing, arc, cover-love
A MAGNIFICENT START TO WHATS SURE TO BE A FANTASTIC POPULAR SERIES!

I don’t have the best relationship with books that have been co-written; I tend to stay away from them, there good just not great. I haven’t read anything by either of these authors but once I read the blurb I just knew I had to request an ARC. I can gladly say that my previous fears for this book being just another average read were completely unnecessary… this was incredible!

Sacha Winters lives in Paris and comes from a family
Sophie
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

As you probably know, C.J. Daugherty has quickly become a favourite author of mine, and as soon as I found out that C.J. had a new series coming out, I knew I needed it! In this series, which she has co-written with French author, Carina Rozenfeld, we are treated to the dual point of view story of Sacha and Taylor, teenagers from France and England, respectively. Sacha is a 17 year old, living in Paris, who
Fafa's Book Corner
Sep 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Family, history, magic, relationships, danger.

At the beginning I was a little sceptical of this book. But I soon couldn't put it down. It's a fast paced ride so you'd better hold on tight.

I didn't get on super well with the main characters, but I did like how the story had this focus on the relationships that there characters had and how they were all fracturing and changing. Saying that, there was very little romance in this book. YES! That was something that made it very refreshing. N
Milica's Bookshelf
Definitivno sjajan početak serijala koji obećava!
Odlična radnja, tematika, likovi, zaplet. Priča koja me je držala napetom od prve do poslednje stranice. Baš mi je krivo što sam je ovako brzo pročitala.
Jordan
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing

OH. MON. DIEU. THE SECRET FIRE est un énorme coup de cœur, une lecture palpitante et addictive qui m'a complètement ensorcelé. Ce n'est pas compliqué : j'ai absolument tout aimé dans cette histoire. Les personnages sont touchants et émouvants au possible, l'intrigue est extrêmement prenante et hyper saisissante et l'ambiance du récit m'a juste passionné. C.J. Daugherty et Carina Rozenfeld nous livrent ici un roman haletant et enivrant grâce à leurs plumes
Banny Carstairs
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spanish
RESEÑA EN ESPAÑOL

I found the characters too cliché, Taylor mostly. But the main flaw in the book it's that it never turns exciting. There's very little action and it doesn't even take much weight in the story. It has a good plot but its ejecution could've been a lot better.
Meli
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it
No soy muy fan de urban fantasy y el juvenil por lo general no es de mi agrado, los pocos que me gustan son más bien para adultos, pero disfruté este libro.

Es una especie de híbrido entre Cazadores de sombras y Hermosas criaturas, pero mejor en todos los aspectos (o será porque a mí ninguna de esas dos historias me gusta que lo siento así)

Está narrado por dos autoras y dos personajes, en lo personal, me gustó/entretuvo/todo lo bueno, más el punto de vista de Sacha, su historia y su maldición son
Justine
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
This first installment was as good as I hoped it would be. It's about "magic", curses, family drama, demons, etc. and it's been a long time since I read a book in the genre that has made me want more. Like, MORE. NOW.
Alex
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Definitelly one of my favourites.
Grüffeline
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Das Sterben brachte ihn vielleicht nicht um, aber es tat höllisch weh.

4,25 Sterne
Ich habe dieses Buch seit Monaten hier liegen, habe es aber nie in die Hand genommen. Großer Fehler, denn ich mochte es wirklich sehr gerne. Am Anfang war ich komplett in der Geschichte gefangen, fand die Charaktere toll und wollte unbedingt wissen, worum es geht. Diese Komplettbegeisterung ließ für mich in dem Moment ein wenig nach, in dem ich dann wusste, woran ich bin. Das Buch war immer noch toll geschrieben
Ceres
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellente surprise!! Après un début un peu longuet, histoire de présenter les personnages, le roman nous plonge dans un univers surprenant, entouré de magie noire remontant à des siècles et traversant les générations.
Taylor et Sacha sont inévitablement liés à une prophétie qui les dépassent... une course contre le temps, des rebondissements entre la France et l'Angleterre, une écriture à 4 mains époustouflante... Je dois dire que j'ai été conquise par ce roman, malgré quelques clichés YA, il v
Amy Plum
British Taylor and French Sacha are two teenagers who might possess the power to unravel a thirteen-generation curse. But if they don't, one will die.

A mesmerizing page-turner with a deliciously international flavor and horrifyingly chilling stakes.
Moody
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
[CHRONIQUE] Un premier tome intéressant !

==> http://moody-takeabook.com/2016/02/02...
Holly Bourne
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant premise, stunning world-building, killer characters and dialogue. You need to get excited about this book. It's like a book version of the really good episodes of Buffy.
Denise Bücherwunderland
Ich war eine Weile hin- und hergerissen, ob ich dieses Buch lesen soll oder nicht, denn der Klappentext hat sich zwar ganz nett angehört, aber so wirklich begeistern konnte er mich nicht.
Ausschlaggebend war dann eine der Autorinnen, C. J. Daugherty. Ihre Night School Reihe habe ich geradezu verschlungen, deswegen habe ich mich dazu entschieden Secret Fire eine Chance zu geben. Zum Glück!

Ich hatte keinerlei Probleme in die Geschichte reinzukommen, ganz im Gegenteil, ab der ersten Seite war ich
Tania (Real-Listen-Feel)
4 stars

Un premier tome qui promet pour la suite!

Qu'on se le tienne pour dit, les histoires de magie et de sorcellerie, ça n'a jamais vraiment été pour moi. J'ai toujours préféré de loin les vampires et autres créatures mythiques aux sorcières. Mais il ne s'agit pas de sorcière ici. Il s'agit d'alchimiste. Taylor est la seule personne qui puisse sauver la vie de Sasha et éviter la réalisation d'une prophétie qui plongera le monde dans le chaos. Seulement, ils ne se sont encore jamais rencontré. E
Susen liest
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 Sterne - flott und flüssig zu lesen und daher ein recht spannendes Jugendbuch. Ich mochte den Aufbau der Freundschaft zwischen Sacha und Taylor und es handelt sich Gott sei Dank nicht um eine übertriebene Insta-Love-Geschichte. Die Freundschaft zwischen Taylor und Georgie habe ich zwar nicht verstanden, aber gut. Ich meine, wer braucht nicht eine Freundin, die einen nach Strich und Faden ausnutzt?
Allerdings fand ich manche Vorgänge etwas unlogisch und ein wenig viel Hokuspokus. Ist ja schön
♡ Marie Ge
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Sterne
Lonna | FLYLēF
FLYLēF Book Reviews

Original Post: The Secret Fire (The Alchemist Chronicles 1) at FLYLēF (www.flylef.com) with 2.5 of 5 rating

“Despite herself, Taylor couldn't help noticing that when Sacha smiled he was really good looking. His cheeks were ridiculous.”

Well, despite myself, I couldn’t help noticing that this description was a bit much, and came off more humorous than heated. But, I’m also not thirteen. The Secret Fire, by C.J. Daugherty, is the first installment in The Alchemist Chronicles. It was an admirable f
Siham
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
un YA juste génial avec beaucoup d'actions, de la magie, des personnages touchants surtout Sasha et Taylor qui forment une super équipe, et ils sont vraiment mignon. Hate d'avoir le tome 2 pour voir l'évolution de l'histoire !
Lisa
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Puhhhh was soll ich über dieses Buch sagen.
Es war nicht wirklich super spannend aber ich fand es trotzdem schön. Die Charaktere waren irgendwie alle niedlich, von unseren Protas bis hin zum alten Opa.
Die Story war schön erzählt und ich bin gespannt wie es sich dann im Zweiten Teil auflöst.
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
My review can originally be found on Heart Full of Books

I really liked both perspectives. This was a really big plus for me, just because I think we all often tend to favour just one, but that was NOT the case. Taylor is loveable because she’s a good friend and is very sensible, while Sacha has a really strong relationship with his mother and sister and tends to be a little more reckless – but I don’t think that can be helped considering the situation!

The pacing was incredible. I was sucked in f
Lenas Welt der Bücher
Meine Meinung:

Die Night School Reihe der Autorin gehört zu meinen absoluten Lieblingsreihen, dementsprechend habe ich mich natürlich auch auf ihre neuste Trilogie und war sehr gespannt, wie sie mir wohl gefallen wird.

Der Schreibstil ist wie gewohnt sehr flüssig zu lesen. Sie schreibt sehr bildhaft und in Zusammenarbeit mit Carina Rozenfeld sehr gut zu lesen. Sie schreiben sehr direkt und ohne große Umschweife, womit sie mich direkt packen konnten.

Denn ab der erste Seiten war ich in der Geschicht
Marine
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Il s'agit là de mon premier livre de c.j doherty et aussi mon premier livre de Carina rosenfeld, et je dois crier : Quelle bonne surprise !
Une histoire palpitante, 2 personnages principaux mystérieux, Taylor et Sacha vivent respectivement en Angleterre et en France, ils pensent se "rencontrer" par hasard mais que nenni.
Un premier tome que j'ai très bien vécu, malgré le début que j'ai trouvé un peu long, l'action réelle ne prenant place qu'à la fin du premier tiers du livre, mais la suite s'enc
  • Under My Skin
  • Shattered Blue (The Light, #1)
  • Beasthood (The Hidden Blood Series, #1)
  • The Castle
  • Frozen Charlotte
  • The Lost and the Found
  • Darkmere
  • The Tribute Bride
  • Awakenings (Kiera's Quest, #1)
  • Crow Moon (Crow Moon, #1)
  • Monster
  • Paper Butterflies
  • Fire (Elements of Power, #1)
  • Revive (RedZone, #1)
  • Dangerous Games (Mind Games, #1.5)
  • Hadley (Fashionistas, #2)
  • A Christmas to Remember
  • Salvage
International bestselling author Christi Daugherty is a former newspaper reporter and crime writer. Her Night School series (written as CJ Daugherty) has been translated into 24 languages, and has been a bestseller in multiple countries.

Find out more on her website: www.ChristiDaugherty.com on www.facebook.com/CJAuthor and on Twitter: www.twitter.com/CJ_Daugherty

NOTE: Please don't message me on G

The Alchemist Chronicles (2 books)
  • The Secret City (The Alchemist Chronicles #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Jilo (Witching Savannah #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Line (Witching Savannah, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Master Magician (The Paper Magician, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Void (Witching Savannah, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Girl on a Wire (Cirque American #1)
  • One Rainy Night