Start by marking “Beyond Our Selves” as Want to Read:
Beyond Our Selves

Beyond Our Selves

This spiritual adventure from best-selling author Catherine Marshall relates tales from her childhood to marriage, and reads like a secret, questioning journal-and journey. Along the way, Marshall offers guidance on topics such as forgiveness, suffering, miracles, unanswered prayer, and healing. The result is a poignant revelation of her authentic search for a meaningful l ...more
Published September 1st 2001 by Chosen Books (first published June 1st 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Our Selves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Our Selves

Michele
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book came in a time of my life that I did everything I could do in my own strength and power. When life wasn't going the way I planned, my mom recommended this book. She emphasized the chapter on the Prayer of Relinquishment. That changed my life from that day on! I never knew there was a God's will and I got down on my knees that day and surrendered every aspect of my life that I tried so hard to make perfect. He woke me up that night and spoke to me and I've been following Him ever since! ...more
Rachel
May 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I find Catherine's books remarkable. They opened my eyes to a deeper level of relationship we can have with the Lord. I finish her books with new insights & a hunger for even more of God in my heart & life.
Deirdre Keating
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspirational
Along with AJ Cronin's The Keys of the Kingdom, this book had the greatest impact on my spiritual outlook as a young girl. I'd have to reread it to say for sure, but it was my first encounter with religious ideas applied to real life situations, and an author more interested in every day moments instead of "top of the mountain" revelations.

Just read that Marshall died in 1983, about a year before I started reading her. Mom's bookshelf was limited to mostly Catholic authors like Fulton Sheen; how
Neil R. Coulter
For a while now, I've been interested in reading Catherine Marshall, simply because I know that Richard Foster respects her very highly, and I respect Foster. I found this book, Beyond Our Selves, from 1961, on a giveaway shelf, and I've been reading bits of it here and there in my office over the past several months.

There is a lot of great content here on learning to depend on God and trust him for everything. These lessons will never get old, because I never seem to learn them very well. The t
Rachel
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2016, christianity
Some of this was really, really good. Some I'm not sure about and would have to think through. Sometimes she'll make a claim that sounds outlandish but later in the chapter will qualify it. Some sounded formulaic but she does seem to have a good grasp of walking with Christ. If you don't mind her (slightly flowery, wordy) writing style this may be worth sifting through.
Gea
May 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is my 2nd time thorugh this book. I read it about 10 yrs ago and find it as refreshing again today. Catherine Marshall is such an indepth and willing "sharer" of her life and her emotions. Her book/movie A Man Called Peter is riveting.
Karen
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an oldie but goodie!
Holly Gallo
Sep 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been a while since I read this. I just remember how insightful it was. It really made me think about my walk with God. I loved it.
Vicki
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Catherine Marshall, author of the Christy books and a devout Christian, was married to Peter Marshall, former Chaplain of the U.S. Senate until his death in 1949. It was after her husband's death that Ms. Marshall began to write, beginning with a compilation and editing of several of Dr. Marshall's sermons and prayers, which became a bestseller. The novel, A Man Called Peter, a biograpy of Dr. Peter Marshall, written by Ms. Marshall was published in 1951, and very quickly became a bestseller as ...more
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Beyond Ourselves’ is semi-biographical, charting the author’s spiritual journey. It’s one of the most inspiring and encouraging books I’ve ever read. In the first chapter, she asks if her readers are satisfied with who they are and what they have. She recounts anecdotes from her own life and that of several people she has met or corresponded with, who realised that their lives were somewhat empty but did not know how to change anything.

The rest of the book charts her own discoveries, and sugge
Linda
Although this book has stood the test of time since its 1961 publication date, has inspired millions, and is well thought out, researched and written, it's not my cup of tea. Religion, to me, is a very personal thing, and it's difficult to embrace a completely different way of looking at God's will, prayer, and pretty much every other facet of your spirituality unless you are searching for answers to insurmountable questions in your life. Which I'm presently not; this was a book club selection. ...more
Anita
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
We chose this book for our church book club. My first impression was that the book was a bit preachy, but I found that it grew on me. Marshall writes well and gives interesting examples of spiritual concepts she has come to believe through experience. She sounds authentic and much of her experience agreed with my own. I intend to read the book again and use it for meditation and personal growth.
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was an absolutely inspiring read. If you want to understand more about how the "giving up of self" and the "finding more of Christ" is supposed to look in the Christian life, pick this up! I was impressed with Marshall's accessible writing, her heart for people, her own story and the stories of others she's met, and overall for her amazing observations of the Christian journey of growth. I was blessed by the read.
Barbara
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I came upon this old book while on vacation and recognized the author, so I read it. Although written in the 1960s, it is amazingly relevant for today. A thought-provoking read for. anyone looking for "more" out of life.
Sheri Freeland
This book changed my life. I was struggling with fear, anxiety and insomnia. Catherine Marshall took me on a journey of deeper faith with God and no coincidence she struggled with insomnia too. i have read all her books and I can honestly say her writing has drawn me closer to God.
Concetta Kellough
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on the Holy Spirit that I've read. Catherine Marshall combines teaching about the Holy Spirit with examples of the Holy Spirit touching people's lives throughout the book.
Kw
Apr 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
God used this book to change my life. It is wonderful.
Lee Anne
Dec 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Newly-Christian women
Shelves: christian
Great insights for women who are new believers in Christ.
Ellen
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I read it at just the right time I needed to read it. I love it when that happens.
Lynda Newman
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book this year, shows how much Catherine grew after marrying Peter.
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has impacted me greatly. Will be rereading it continuously throughout my life. It is currently out of print, but found some used copies on Amazon. I will giving these as gifts for sure.
Diane
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful spiritual journey Catherine takes one on. Loved the book.
Brian
Feb 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
She has other works that are better to read
Alice
Jul 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
3 and a half stars
Summisse
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My mother recommended it --loved it!
Mom
Apr 05, 2008 rated it liked it
This lady certainly has faith and depicts it wonderfully. Would recommend it to anyone questioning the power of prayer.
This book will go into my stash to put into the church library.
Susan
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
I just finished this book and finishing was hard fought for! I picked this book up and put it down for almost a year. I was very much impacted by Catherine Marshall’s treatment of the Holy Spirit. What she describes, close to the end, made me a bit uncomfortable because as a child, I remember my mother being challenged that she was not a Christian because if she were, she would have received this emotional manifestation of the Holy Spirit. Other than that, I was encouraged by her stories of heal ...more
Meghan Helzlsouer
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was loaned to me by a church friend, a woman several decades older than me. I found it so neat that this book, written in a different era, still felt applicable to me today. There were chapters/subjects I found more impactful than others, but overall this book did a great job of opening my eyes to parts of my faith I hadn’t considered or fully explored before. I even found myself talking about certain passages to others! I’m ready to dig deeper now!
Vanessa
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a reread, a book that was given to me forty years ago, and still has the power to speak into my life. Yes it's old fashioned in some ways but letting this delightful woman tell you some home truths is unique and special. Now to find the other books from her !!
Rhonda
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Written many years ago by famed author Catherine Marshall.
Story of her journey in faith.

Favorite Quote:

"Can we change human nature? No, but the Holy Spirit can." p 242
  • Mr. Jones, Meet the Master
  • A Step Further: growing closer to God through hurt and hardship
  • Come Away My Beloved
  • Love Has a Price Tag: Inspiring Stories That Will Open Your Heart to Life's Little Miracles
  • What Happens When Women Pray
  • First We Have Coffee
  • Life Sentence
  • How to be Your Own Selfish Pig: And Other Ways You've Been Brainwashed
  • The Beautiful Side of Evil
  • Six by Lewis: The Abolition of Man, the Great Divorce, Mere Christianity, Miracles, the Problem of Pain, the Screwtape Letters
  • The Divine Romance
  • Balcony People
  • Return with Honor
  • Spiritual Warfare: Christians, Demonization and Deliverance
Marshall was born in Johnson City, Tennessee.[1][2] She was the daughter of the Reverend John Ambrose Wood and Leonora Whitaker Wood.[1] From the age of nine until her graduation from high school, Marshall was raised in Keyser, West Virginia,[1] where her father served as pastor of a Presbyterian church from 1924 to 1942.[1]

While a junior at Agnes Scott College, she met Peter Marshall, marrying hi