Start by marking “The Rest of Us Just Live Here” as Want to Read:

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  36,565 Ratings  ·  6,773 Reviews
What if you aren’t the Chosen One?

The one who’s supposed to fight the zombies, or the soul-eating ghosts, or whatever the heck this new thing is, with the blue lights and the death?

What if you’re like Mikey? Who just wants to graduate and go to prom and maybe finally work up the courage to ask Henna out before someone goes and blows up the high school. Again.

Because someti
Published August 27th 2015 by Walker Books

To ask other readers questions about The Rest of Us Just Live Here, please sign up.
Emily I hope this doesn't confuse you further, but the town where Mikey lives in gets effected by these supernatural phases (like there was a vampire…moreI hope this doesn't confuse you further, but the town where Mikey lives in gets effected by these supernatural phases (like there was a vampire invasion before). Through the course of the book, the town gets invaded again by another supernatural force, but Mikey isn't the "hero" of the story (like, he isn't Harry Potter, or Beatrice from Divergent or Katniss from The Hunger Games). It actually gets more fantasy in the end or so, but mostly throughout its contemporary and some romance ☺️. It's so good, I really recommend it!(less)

Emily May
Dec 22, 2014 rated it liked it
2 1/2 stars.
Here's one thing for certain: Patrick Ness is a total Buffy fanboy. Or possibly he hated it, but either way he paid enough attention to seemingly frame an entire book around the concept of "The Chosen One" and - specifically - Xander's quote from season 7:
"They'll never know how tough it is, Dawnie, to be the one who isn't chosen. To live so near to the spotlight and never step in it."

This is a book about the people in the background. The ones who aren't "indie kids" with names l
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I was a bit disappointed with this book. I found myself comparing it to A MONSTER CALLS, which I know I shouldn't have, because they're completely opposite books from tone to message. At the same time though this book offered up different things that I enjoyed. We have an excellent diverse cast of characters & the story itself was rather unique. It's just that something about it fell flat for me. I still need time to gather my thoughts, but expect a video review soon!
Raeleen Lemay
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
There were definitely elements of this that I enjoyed, like the diverse set of characters and the way it was poking fun at "Chosen One" stories, but the whole thing fell pretty flat for me. I love Patrick Ness's other books, but this one didn't really do anything for me.
karen
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
"I wonder what was going on last night. With the lights."

She shrugs. "Probably some apocalypse."

the problem with writing a book like More Than This is that you then have to write a book after More Than This.

and i was a little apprehensive about this one. my copy has this cover:

which makes it look almost like a middle grade book, and i was concerned that it wouldn't live up to the mind-shattering acrobatic metafiction that was More Than This.

and it doesn't. nothing ever will.
but that doesn't mea
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Really enjoyed this! I liked how it poked fun at the "Chosen One" trope, and we see quite a diverse set of characters.
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
This is my first Ness book, and maybe I picked the wrong book.

Don't get me wrong. This book wasn't bad bad, not in a way that would make me rant and rage about how awful it is. It just wasn't to my taste. His writing style doesn't connect with me. The book was weird, and, dare I say it before a legion of Ness fans with pitchforks descend upon me, really boring.

I just don't get it. Again, not my style. I prefer excitement, a definable plot, well-written emotions and interactions, and this book wa
Lola  Reviewer
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: meh, lgbt, weird, paranormal

I AM IN COMPLETE DENIAL.

No way this book was written by the one and only Patrick Ness.

That was some real crappy romance. Of all the romances in the world, this one really sucked. Bland. Cliché. Tedious. Uninteresting. Unexciting. Sleep-inducing.

Aj the Ravenous Reader
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Will M.

“Not everyone has to be the guy who saves the world. Most people just have to live their lives the best they can.”

If there’s a word that would best describe author, Patrick Ness, it would be ingenious. True, the story may not have the most adventurous plot but the premise sure is brilliant and completely original. I have personally never thought about the side characters, the ordinary people watching Katniss and Peeta fight for their lives in the hellish arena…

...or the kid watching Spiderm
Darth J
So, since this got a bunch of good reviews, I decided to pick this up. Just my luck that Target would have autographed first editions of it:

The basic premise of this book is that the main characters here are the background players in everything else. The funny thing is that this story, while YA, makes fun of YA tropes and bloated subgenres like vampires or demigods or immortals and kids "dying beautifully of cancer". That's the whole joke about this book is that it's poking fun at how airheaded
C.G. Drews
Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow. This book is incredible and emotional and relatable and OH WOW. How does Patrick Ness write like this?! (Answer: he is a wizard.) I've loved A Monster Calls andA Monster Calls and More Than This. So I was like 99% sure that I'd adore The Rest Of Us Just Live Here. But I didn't actually know what it was ABOUT, except it was NOT about "The Chosen One". And I had noooo idea it was about families and sibling relationship and end-of-school and anxiety. So, give me a moment. I ...more
Kai
Apr 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: glbt, 2016
“We're just as screwed up and brave and false and loyal and wrong and right as anyone else.”

A boy with the simple wish to finish school, and maybe even kiss the girl he's been in love with forever. If it just weren't for all those strange things happening: sudden blue lights in the sky, animals coming back to life and the popular kids always playing heroes.

3.5/5 stars

What a refreshing and funny concept for a novel!
As always it took me a while to get into it. The first few pages, the many charact
Rebecca
Read this review and more on my blog!

In a nutshell: Another unique and wonderful book from Patrick Ness with an interesting perspective - it's not the "Chosen One".

Patrick Ness is without a shadow of a doubt one of my top auto-buy authors, especially when it comes to his YA books. I love them and I was so excited about this book. I'm still excited - not only to revisit the story with a future re-read but for you guys to soon enjoy it when it officially hits shelves! Luckily it met my expectation
Will M.
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Contemporary YA is not my genre, but this novel was an exception. I prejudged it based on the first few chapters, but as the plot developed, I started to like it.

This is a novel about a group of friends who wants to have a normal life. They just want to graduate before the school blows up. Mysterious and paranormal things get in their way, but they did all they could to succeed.

What was most striking to me was the fact that Ness managed to incorporate a lot of serious issues in this novel. It w
Neil (or bleed)
The Rest of Us Just Live Here is a weird-and-not kind of book. I mean it's weird because it's not about the Chosen Ones (or the indie kids as this novel called them) and it's not weird because it's not about the Chosen Ones. (You got me?)

In this world we live in, we would rather read a kick-ass hero/heroine who saves the world than reading a bunch of boring kids who want to graduate high school, no? This is the main concept of this book. So, if you're not into this kind of novel, you will probab
Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩
Short Review:

This is a Patrick Ness book––so, of course it's good. It's very different from his other books, but I like that he writes something new and I never know what to expect. I wasn't as blown away by it as I was by the Chaos Walking trilogy, A Monster Calls, or More Than This, but it's still great––intriguing concept, good writing and characters, a fun and emotional story. There's kind of a "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" plotline that is mainly the thing that took away from the book for me, bu
maymay❀

My very first buddy read with my favourite, the lovely Lady Pim (aka Annie) of the Book Court

Looking for a book that’s ridiculously relatable?? I found it.

“What do you do when your dreams are about to come true?” she asks. “No one ever tells you. They tell you to chase them, but what happens when you actually catch one?”

So many of the books we read center around the Chosen-One™, the Special-Snowflake™, the Saviour-of-the-World™, but this book is just about the everyday kids (basically an
Dannii Elle
Patrick Ness doing what Patrick Ness does best: emotionally investing his readers before breaking their hearts.

“On the day we’re the last people to see indie kid Finn alive, we’re all sprawled together in the Field, talking about love and stomachs.”

This may be one of the most pointless books I have ever read.

Poor Mike had problems, he had OCD, his sister had nearly died due to anorexia, and he was in love with his best friend but didn’t have the guts to tell her. The rest of the st
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
“The Indie Kids, huh? You’ve got them at your school, too. That group with the cool-geek haircuts and the thrift shop clothes and names from fifties. Nice enough, never mean, but always the ones who end up being the Chosen One when the vampires come calling or when the alien queen needs the Source of All Light or something. They’re too cool to ever, ever do anything like go to prom or listen to music other than jazz while reading poetry. They’ve always got some story going on that they’re heroe ...more
Stacey (prettybooks)
A new Patrick Ness novel is always a big event and this was no less exciting. I avoided reading all reviews of the book before I started because I wanted to be surprised, especially as I know Patrick Ness has a habit of doing just that.

If you read a lot of young adult fantasy or science fiction, you'll have come across teenagers that fight vampires, wield magic and join rebel groups to fight against the government or zombies. They are known as the indie kids. The Rest of Us Just Live Here is abo
Pip
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sylvie
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
By Patrick Ness

3.25/5 Stars!

All I've heard of Patrick Ness were how wonderful and amazing his books are, so I decided to pick up one of his books and in this case it was 'The Rest of Us Just Live Here'.

This book was something I've never experienced with reading before, because instead of following the storyline of the heroes, it follows the normal people. The people who see everything happen and just have to continue their lives despite the demons, vampires and explo
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed

This, by Patrick Ness standards, was a disappointment. After reading More Than This though, I really don't know how I expected any of his other books to measure up.

By regular standards this book really wasn't that bad. It was exactly what it advertised itself as. A book about the boring kids that are always stuck in the background and their boring lives. It was a boring book about the boring kids but it still managed to be relatable in a way that hurt the 16-year-old girl still living
Cait • A Page with a View
2.5 stars. The story's about regular teens living their normal lives while a separate story unfolds at the top of each chapter to show what the Chosen One indie kids are doing to stop the supernatural cliche stuff that typically happens in YA books.

I did love the diversity and thought the overall idea was clever! But the story itself was so bland/plain that I've already kind of forgotten everything. So maybe that's a success given that the author was going for ordinary & regular? But that d
Khadidja
Apr 15, 2016 rated it liked it
this is my first Patrick Ness read, i heard so much about him, reading the blurb i was expecting a story of normal teenagers who made their normal lives extraordinary Instead I got this super weird confusing novel, I legitimately don't know how I feel about this book so i'm giving it a neutral rating.
Paulo Ratz
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Que história mágica e louca.

Pra começar que, por mais que eu tenha visto alguns canais falando desse livro, eu deletei TOTAL da minha mente que ele tem um pouco de fantasia. Ou seja, ele é um YA Contemporâneo com aparições esporádicas de criaturas fantasmas. Eles falam em deuses (Não de uma maneira subjetiva, eles realmente existem), de vampiros, fantasmas, etc. Mas 80% do livro é sobre o dia a dia de 4/5 adolescentes de uns 17 anos, sofrendo seus problemas cotidianos.

Pra deixar a história mais
Jenny
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of the qurikiest, most bizarre books I've read this year! It's a hilarious combination of contemporary profoundness and overly cliché paranormal romance.

Guys seriously, the para-rom parts are probably the funniest parts of the book!
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“Everything's always ending. But everything's always beginning, too.”

Not a whole lot happens when you live in “a suburb of a suburb of a suburb of a city that takes about an hour to get to.” Well, that’s not entirely true. Stuff has definitely happened in the past. It wasn’t that long ago that the town was plagued with the “vampire cycle of romance and death” . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

Also . . .

(Note: There was no plot point regarding half-naked
Natalie Monroe
"They've always got some story going on that they're the heroes of. The rest of us just have to live here, hovering around the edges, left out of it all, for the most part."

I'm a little taken aback by how much I enjoyed this little tale devoid of knives and murder and grand soundbites. The Rest of Us Just Live Here, like its blurb advertises, is about normal kids doing normal stuff, encountering normal problems, while the Clarys and Meghans and Harrys fight supernatural stuff and have sweeping
Bradley
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm not only surprised and delighted after reading this, but I was surprised and delighted *while* reading it from almost the very start.

I went, "Oh cool, it's almost like the UF YA version of a Redshirts satire, where the Indie kids all die or don't while immortals create rifts in the high school universe and there's multiple Indie Flynns and gods and ghosts and vampires roam the halls, fall in love, and then die like little preeeecious flowers,... and everyone else just lives there. Satire! A
  • The Alex Crow
  • Call the Shots (Swim the Fly, #3)
  • The Story of Owen: Dragon Slayer of Trondheim (The Story of Owen, #1)
  • Shadowshaper (Shadowshaper, #1)
  • The Prom Goer's Interstellar Excursion
  • The Accident Season
  • Glory O'Brien's History of the Future
  • The Memory of Light
  • Fans of the Impossible Life
  • Pieces of Sky
  • Denton Little's Deathdate (Denton Little #1)
  • Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1)
  • Not Otherwise Specified
  • The Emperor of Any Place
  • The Game of Love and Death
  • The Great American Whatever
  • The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley
  • Princeless, Vol. 2: Get Over Yourself
Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the Co
More about Patrick Ness

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • Just a Drop of Water
  • One Moment
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
“Not everyone has to be the Chosen One. Not everyone has to be the guy who saves the world. Most people just have to live their lives the best they can, doing things that are great for them, having great friends, trying to make their lives better, loving people properly. All the while knowing that the world makes no sense but trying to find a way to be happy anyway.” 288 likes
“Feelings don't try to kill you, even the painful ones. Anxiety is a feeling grown too large. A feeling grown aggressive and dangerous. You're responsible for its consequences, you're responsible for treating it. But...you're not responsible for causing it. You're not morally at fault for it. No more than you would be for a tumor.” 237 likes