Start by marking “25 Ways to Kill a Werewolf” as Want to Read:
25 Ways to Kill a Werewolf

25 Ways to Kill a Werewolf

(Elkie Bernstein Trilogy #1)

‘My name is Elkie Bernstein. I live in North Wales and I kill werewolves.’ When Elkie finds herself fighting for her life against something that shouldn’t exist she is faced with the grim reality that werewolves are real and she just killed one. Part diary, part instruction manual Elkie guides the reader through 25 ways you can kill a werewolf, without any super powers, an ...more
Published July 28th 2014 by Fox Spirit Books

To ask other readers questions about 25 Ways to Kill a Werewolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 25 Ways to Kill a Werewolf

K.A. Laity
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I’m always picking up Fox Spirit Books because I know Adele has great taste and this is no exception. 25 Ways to Kill a Werewolf takes on a difficult task: offering us a monster hunter in a an age when our popular culture is rife with them. Thomas is up to the task, however, in part by setting the tales in the very vivid Welsh countryside. Elkie’s village of Llados is on the road to Dylan Thomas’ Llareggub, so not as isolated as life Under Milk Wood but definitely off the beaten track which help ...more
K.J. Chapman
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This review is featured on my blog: Writerly Bookish Stuff.

I rate this book 3.5/5.

Elkie goes from girl nextdoor to werewolf killer by accident. She finds out the truth about her neighbour’s sudden disappearance, and in doing so, starts a weird friendship with a werewolf who decides he wants to play games with her life.

The structure worked well with each of the twenty-five chapters laid out as a method of werewolf killing. Yes, there really are twenty-five ways to kill a werewolf. Some of the met
Sam J
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Before I begin I guess I could be considered biased in my opinion about this book as it was written by my very clever younger sister. However, as someone who takes her reading seriously; someone who reads as her main source of entertainment and escapism from reality, both my sister and I know that if I really hadn't have liked it I would have tried to find a diplomatic way of saying 'well done, but it really isn't my thing'...or some such like...but luckily for me ( and her) she did good.

'25 Way
Sara Smith
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was introduced to Jo Thomas' writing at the inaugural Sheffield Science Fiction and Fantasy Social club, where Jo read a very entertaining chapter from this book, namely where a werewolf meets a nailgun. I don't think I'm spoiling anything by saying the nailgun comes off best.
Not long after this, I bought the book, as I wanted to see other ways in which a werewolf could be killed, and there are some very leftfield inclusions!
it was refreshing to see a story about a normal person. Elkie Bernst
Andy Angel
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I ordered this book after meeting the author at an event in Sheffield at which she did a reading from it. I enjoyed what I heard so got the book hoping it would be more of the same - it was.

It is the story of Elkie Bernstein, a 15/16 year old girl living in Wales who finds herself fighting against Werewolves. She isn't a superhero or a Buffy The Vampire-A-Like 'Chosen One' just a regular teenager having to fight off something that common sense says shouldn't exist. Who is sending the Werewolve
Rachel Noel
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It's kinda simple in nature, there's no global conspiracy or league of werewolf hunters or anything like that. It's just Elkie, trying to live her life while under constant threat of werewolf attack. No one besides her and two friends seem to know that werewolves exist and since the bodies revert back to human at death, who'd believe her?

Each chapter is titled after a different method of death and it became interesting to try to figure out how some of them would work
Runalong
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Extremely engaging lead character, dark sense of humour and just really good read

Full review - https://www.runalongtheshelves.net/bl...
Kate
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I shouldn't really call a book about killing werewolves 'sweet', but it is. I was expecting horror or gore, but it's not. It's a story about growing up and learning, changing relationships and becoming an adult. It's bittersweet and heart-wrenching at times, but also chatty and enthralling.

Incidentally, it does also involve killing werewolves. Twenty-five times. So...well, y'know, it does what it says on the tin.

The plot's punchy and fast-paced; it's 200+ pages but doesn't feel that long! The wr
Steven Poore
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Trust me, this isn't Buffy-from-the-Valleys. Elkie Bernstein, the narrator and despatcher of shaggy beasts in this tale, isn't the Chosen One. Or - not in that sense, at least. Jo Thomas has made her protagonist a straight-forward, ordinary young woman who is as fallible as she is determined, whose struggle is as much against daily life as it is against shapechangers. There aren't too many Urban Fantasies I can think of (though this is possibly a Rural Fantasy) that pay close attention to farm r ...more
Kathryn
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book grabbed me from the first page. I had to put it down for a bit due to other demands on my time, but once I picked it up again, I stayed up way too late several nights in a row, thinking "just one more chapter." The first-person narrator/protagonist is a wonderfully well-rounded, engaging character, a farm girl from remote North Wales who had no Buffy-like calling or capabilities but nevertheless finds herself tangling repeatedly with werewolves. The only reason I didn't give this book ...more
Terry Lair
Sarah Carter
Aug 12, 2015
Hisham El-far
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An amazing urban rural(?) fantasy, 25 Ways To Kill A Werewolf managed to break me out of a reading slump.

Elkie is engaging and believable. I found myself sympathetic to her plight whilst also rooting for her. The narrative is perfectly paced - but also structured into perfect bite sized chunks. (With the odd intermission)

Perfect for fans of Urban Fantasy who want to try something a little more different - or readers who want to dip their toes into something less mainstrean lit.

I'm definitely goi
Adele
added it
Aug 21, 2014
Jo Thomas
Sep 09, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Christy Stensland-Mains
Shana DuBois
Feb 16, 2016
S. Naomi Scott
Nov 17, 2017
Jo M Thomas is a speculative fiction author and editor who has had a number of novels, anthologies and short stories published.

Some of my work has been published under Jo Thomas but other Jo Thomases are available.

Elkie Bernstein Trilogy (3 books)
  • A Pack Of Lies