Start by marking “The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen, #2)

The Mirror King

(The Orphan Queen #2)

Wilhelmina has a hundred enemies.

HER FRIENDS HAVE TURNED. After her identity is revealed during the Inundation, Princess Wilhelmina is kept prisoner by the Indigo Kingdom, with the Ospreys lost somewhere in the devastated city. When the Ospreys’ leader emerges at the worst possible moment, leaving Wil’s biggest ally on his deathbed, she must become Black Knife to se
Published April 5th 2016 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about The Mirror King, please sign up.
Jodi Meadows Oops, sorry, I didn't see this question. (Either authors don't get notified of questions on their books or I did get notified and couldn't figure out…moreOops, sorry, I didn't see this question. (Either authors don't get notified of questions on their books or I did get notified and couldn't figure out where it was after that. Could be either, honestly.)

Cover and flap copy went public yesterday! So your wait is over!

I hope you enjoy them!(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Starrisa
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
YA Novels of 2016
1,124 books — 9,699 voters
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareThe Raven King by Maggie StiefvaterGlass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Can't Wait Books of 2016
1,309 books — 6,921 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen, #2)
Jodi Meadows
Aug 12, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
This book has been proofread and is on its way to becoming a beautiful hardcover.

Coming your way April 5, 2016.
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
Tobiah, honey, you. Freaken. Idiot.

description

You have exactly this one book to totally redeem yourself.
Alyssa

Book Two of The Orphan Queen series
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Publication Date: April 5, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Wilhelmina has a hundred enemies.

HER FRIENDS HAVE TURNED. After her identity
Andreea Pop
3.5 Stars

As soon as I finished The Orphan Queen, I dreamed about The Mirror King and I wanted it like yesterday. And, surprisingly, I got it back in September -- thanks to the Edelweiss gods. And then I read. And read. And read. But I was in no way invested into the story. I was probably not in the right mood, but suffice it to say, I dropped it at 43%. Still kept it on my currently reading shelf though. And now that it was finally published, my conscience dictated -- get your shit together and finish the damn b
Jenna Major
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young fantasy lovers (older or more high fantasy lovers may not like it due to it's flaws)
straight up, Jodi Meadows if your books are ever optioned for a tv show, please let me help you write the script because I have so many ideas about it
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WOW! What a conclusion.
This duology really improved with the second book. It was less predictable (still predictable, but lesser so), explanations and answers were revealed, the plot moved swiftly and it was thoroughly enjoyable. 4.5/5 stars!!

The story picks up right where we left off in The Orphan Queen. The kingdom is in disarray, the wraith is moving much faster thit
WOW!

“I couldn’t let you die.”

This was a YA fantasy story which picked up right where The Orphan Queen left off.

Wil was a strong leader in this and proved how determined she was to be queen. She did have some problems restraining her wraith friend though.

The storyline in this did lose me a bit and I felt quite bored. There was something that happened at the 43% mark which made me sit up and take a bit more iEdelweiss.)
Kirsty-Marie Jones
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
THAT LIST. THAT LIST. THAT LIST. THAT LIST. THAT LIST. THAT LIST. THAT LIST. THAT LIST. THAT LIST.
--------

THE WAIT IS PAINFUL ALREADY AND I ONLY JUST FINISHED THE ORPHAN QUEEN.
Katerina Kondrenko
5 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:
Carlos Cipa – Secret Longing
5 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives (please use Chrome/Yandex browser or Android/IOS to see the page; otherwise, spoiler-tags I use to make my post compact may not work)

Short-Soundtrack:
Carlos Cipa – Secret Longing
Dark Fortress – Wraith
Instrumental Core – Hope

Genre: high-fantasy, YA
Stuff: half-apocalypsys, magic, little game of thrones
Fail: contrived coincidences
WOW: twists
POV: 1st-person, female
Love-Geometry: none

Quote-Core:
“No matter the masks we wear, we always end up together.”

First of all, I decided not to waste my time on detailed reviews of books I'm not very angry with or really excited about. So the following text would be kinda compact and spoiler-ish. Be warned!

SPOILERS AHEAD

This book was indeed better than its predecessor, but once you've noticed illogical things, you can't unsee them and they would bother you much.

I don't get how people may fight each other for doomed territories. Why anyone would want a throne, if there are no wars to wage and no gold to roll in? Okay, MCs love their kingdoms, but their opponents have no reasonable goals. How can I see them as decent villains? Why don't they understand how stupid their little game of thrones is while there is Wraith which is going to kill everything and everyone? There was a scene than this misty thing did already come and antagonists decided to try their strength against each other. Right about time!

So, yes, the plot is a mess (again) if to look closer. But the characters are no better, at least for me. The only heroes I liked were a sidekick James, an Osprey-boy Connor and a weird creature with a weird name Chrysalis. And that wasn't enough for not skipping passages during my read.

Connections between people weren't developed properly. I never felt Wil and Melanie's friendship. Never! Wil and Tobiah's love shone while their interactions, but not in between. Also I can't recall how exactly they fell for each other. And you know why? Because Jodi Meadows was telling about it in The Orphan Queen instead of showing the process. MCs have chemistry and history, but the latter in word only.

I have to give the author a credit for plot-twists. Even I without being invested into the story had huge goosebumps and very real tears. One of such moments was at the wedding. Yes, I knew poor Meredith would die, but I thought it might happen later. The other was Tobiah's revelation about James and his (Tobiah's) power. And here illogical stuff comes back again. Aside from the fast healing, James never struck me as a doppelganger or something without his own will. I expected him to have magic or Tobiah being a healer like Connor, but... It's really simple to surprise your audience if you don't give any cues away. And Tobiah's power is such a contrived coincidence! Also, Wil was eager to use her magic, 'cause this was a part of her. Tobiah managed without it somehow. Even during really dangerous situations he never wished for help. What about survival instinct? You never think on the verge of death, you do anything you can. And his power is pretty handy. Wish for something and that's yours. But he refused it, controlled it even. But how? He never had a chance to train his magic.

The ending was far-fetching and full convenient circumstances. Does magic have limits? When Wil brought to life Chrysalis she passed out for a day. And now she charmed the ocean. Fucking ocean! And everything's ok. Nice. The so-called villains died super fast and for nothing. The sacrificing scene was really touching (I cried), but no wonders, since the 'lambs' were my favorite heroes! Oh, and Chrysalis as a characters went through an amazing development. At first he was annoying and creepy, and then creepy and cute.

All in all, this series has very unique premise, but its execution is far from great. It's like a slovenly sewn satin dress - the fabric is rich, but stitches are ugly. Your enjoyment would depend on your love for the main characters, 'cause this is the only way to forget about the rest inconsistency.

The Orphan Queen (Королева сирот):
Crystal | decorating.reader
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

This book is so dang good. I don't even know what to do with myself right now.
Sophie
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I adored The Orphan Queen, and have been waiting, somewhat impatiently, until the library copy I had on hold became available. And, the wait was worth it! I devoured the book in less than a day, and even when I was finished, I immediately went back and reread my favourite parts - which was most of the book.

Now that everyone knows exactly who Wil is - namely, the lost princess - Wil's life is in a bit of turmoil. Tobiah was shot at the end of The Orphan Queen, by the traitorous Patric
Sharon
I really wanted to like this series, especially because I am a HUGE fan of Jodi Meadows' other works, but I just could not connect to the main characters and the overall story.
Pros:
-Some of the plotting: There were some realllllly awesome plot twists, especially in the middle to end. I did not see them coming at all!
-James: He was such a loyal, good friend. I loved how thoughtful and supportive he was throughout the series
-Realistic character developments: We saw Wilhelmina struggled to be a good queen/> ...more
Belinda (TheBookBuddies)
4.5 stars. This book is amazing. So meticulously plotted. I had been biding my time with this book. Although the ending of OQ had completely killed me, I was scared to pick this up and see how it ended. I feared it wouldn't go the way I wanted. My fears were unfounded. Don't get me wrong, I was surprised by a lot of things. Everything did work out, just not quite in the way I expected.

I loved the growth Wil and Tobiah went through. They learned a lot about each other and themselves. Both of the
Ann (annreads)
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
“Reasons we should get married:
Because I love you.
We both look good in black boots.
I spent some time without you, and I didn’t like it.
You make me happy.
I make you laugh.
I like the way you fight.
You see through my masks.
I really love you.
Army of tiny vigilantes. (I have name ideas.)
Various political reasons that make sense but
Kells Next Read
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Heart recking but wonderful conclusion to this amazing duology. I need a moment to grieve my fave characters.

Dam you Jodie Meadow...*Bawls* Dam You!!
Jessica (Step Into Fiction)
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, autographed
This book was epic. Hands down, my favorite Jodi Meadows book to date. Everything about this was what I wanted (and more). From the cover (which I can't stop staring at) to each and every word.

I will say, out of all the lines in the book, I still feel like the very first line of the book is my favorite. It's powerful. It's dangerous. It's enough to stop your heart with aniticipation and even worry.

A full review will come closer to the release date but this is definitely a
Tammie
Princess Wilhelmina is ready for her crown, but declaring herself queen means war.

Caught between what she wants and what is right, Wilhelmina realizes the throne might not even matter.

The Mirror King had all the elements I love in a fantasy; soaring highs, a few heartbreaking lows, tough moral decisions, masked vigilantes, some romance, and even a map. While the magic and how it worked wasn't all that detailed, and we've seen this type of story before in several other fantasy novels, (the wil
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An advance copy of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts are my own. This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

I didn't mean to read this book so early -- okay, okay, I totally did -- but I couldn't help myself! I can't be blamed for how amazing the first book was and how I longed not to have to wait for the sequel. And just a word of warning, but this is going to read like less of a review and more like me coming off my fangirl high. =)

When I started this book, I thought, "No way can she finish this story in two books. NO WAY." And then when I got to about 85%, I just knew there had to be another book in the works. I mean, to tie up all the loose threads with only that much of the book left? I just didn't think it was possible. But Jodi Meadows continues to defy the limits of what is possible and what is not with this series and especially with this book.

This sequel/finale was incredible. Sometimes, I find that my ability to perceive the outcome of a story is the bane of my existence because it makes some books SO predictable. I didn't have to worry about that at all with The Mirror King. Meadows just trampled my expectations and any preconceived notions I had. This was literally me for most of the book:

For starters, because of the title, for some reason I got it into my head that it would be more focused on Tobiah and his kingdom. And then when I realized it wasn't, the separation anxiety set in. You know...when two characters you adore together end up separated for a big chunk of the book and you have to suffer through it. This usually seems to happen in the second book of a trilogy and then when the couple reunites in the final book, things are...awkward between them. Well, this is a duology so we get to skip the whole middle book -- hallelujah! -- but Wil and Tobiah do have their own kingdoms to run now, so Wil's departure was always inevitable. But I hated the way they parted.

In fantasy novels, I've come to learn that authors love to kill your darlings. And they rarely feel any remorse about it. So, I should have expected all of the death and violence in The Mirror King, especially with that maniacal Patrick on the loose, but it still came as a shock to me. Every. Time. Obviously some deaths were harder to accept than others. I ran the full gamut of emotions with this novel, especially because I never knew what was coming or who might bite it next.

Here's the thing. I like trilogies. But I loathe when the story could be told in fewer books and the narrative is drawn out to make it stretch a full three books. Meadows made every page of this duology count. I never wanted for action or swoons or even villainy. It's the ending to the story I didn't even know I wanted when I got to that heart-breaking cliffhanger in The Orphan Queen. This sequel/finale was far better than I could have ever hoped for and I already can't wait to re-read it!

GIF it to me straight:
Sarah (What Sarah Read)
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing

TheMirrorKing

triangle border

Well, well, well, Jodi Meadows. I hope you're proud of yourself. I hope it makes your heart sing to know that you have completely broken my feels. I thought you ruined me with the ending of "The Orphan Queen" (read my review), but then you went ahead and just HAD to write "The Mirror King". What the heck, Jodi?!

Okay, now that I got that out of my system, I can move on to my review. First things first, if you liked "The OrphanJodi?!
Okay,rel="nofollow">read

Sabrina
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Checkout more reviews @ http://omgbooksandmorebooks.blogspot.com !!

ABOUT FREAKING TIME I FINISHED THE MIRROR KING IT'S BEEN SO MANY MONTHS, TOO MANY MONTHS IN MY OPINION.

Anyways, on to the review.

Did I cry? Yes. Did I want to throw the book but did not? Yes. Is wrath boy under appreciated? YES

Books like these make me love YA even more. I need more of this world and I want to read more of Wilhelmina's journey. If you hear someone crying that's probably me. Everyone needs to read this duology. I real
Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
I don’t even know how to feel honestly
Stacee
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This one took me some time to get into. I'll be honest and say that I'm guessing it's mostly my fault since I didn't reread the first book before starting this one.

There are a lot of things that happen in this story and I won't spoil it for anyone. There's some swoons and heartbreak and laughs and it's just a rollercoaster. There were a few things I didn't see coming and while I would have like a little more from the ending, it was pretty satisfying.

**Huge thanks to Katherine Tegen
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
*1.5/5 stars*

Usually I'm not prone to DNF many books, because sometimes my curiosity to see how the story will end is quite masochistic apparently, but boy did I want to DNF this one. I didn't enjoy reading this book, the charactes and unecessary drama made me honestly annoyed, I was bored and skimmed long passages of the story. This isn't the worts fantasy in the world or anything, but I did give book one two stars and that instalment was way more enjoyable experience for me than th
Beatrice in Bookland
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reasons we should get married:

· Because I love you.
· We both look good in black boots.
· I spent some time without you, and I didn’t like it.
· You make me happy.
· I make you laugh.
· I like the way you fight.
· You see through my masks.
· I really love you.
· You love me, too. (Though you’ve mostly said this while yelling, so perhaps I should have double-checked.)
· Army of tiny vigilantes. (I have name ideas.)
· Various political
rachel ☾
Review copy provided by the publisher for an honest review.

Dammit. I honestly did not expect to dislike this book. I’m actually rather bummed out about it! The Orphan Queen was such an entertaining read. I fell in love with the characters, and I was so intrigued by the plotline. I truly though it had the potential to become something really amazing… but it didn’t hit that mark for me. At all. *pouts*

Reasons Why The Mirror King Was a Disappointing Finale:

1. The pacing was off. I liked that the story began/>Reasons
SyaSya Syed Nasir
Omg!! There's so much to talk about this book. The characters, the twist (so many twist), the plot, the romance, the ending (happy and sad ending...it is both I think but in a good way), the writing and etc! I love it! Gonna put my review in my blog tomorrow morning itself! 😍
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Omg!!! Jodi!!! I freaking loved this and I'm so sad it's over I want more!!! But this was a brilliant finale. I bawled my eyes out and I grinned so hard my cheeks hurt.
Amber
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jodi Meadows just wrote herself a perfect duology.

Plot: When I read The Orphan Queen two years ago, I was in shock. It was a perfectly balanced book with complex characters and I wanted more. Lightning struck twice with Jodi Meadows because The Mirror King was almost better (or better, I'm still undecided) than its predecessor. The Mirror King picked right up after the earth-shattering cliffhanger of The Orphan Queen and I don't think I managed to stop holding my breath until the very last page. In
Gillian Berry
3.5 stars, I think?

AHH, I'm confused and torn. Because there were a lot of things I loved--the last 150 pages or so had me absolutely hooked--but there were also a few things I don't. THe middle was a slog, but the first 200 pages were fabulous and intense and full of horrid consequences. Truth be told, I think this should have been two books, for reasons I'll go into in my full review. And there are a couple worldbuilding-y things I don't love, while others I do (dislike: the CHARAC
Nicole
THIS is how you write a sequel and series finale my friends. When I first read The Orphan Queen, I enjoyed it but something was missing for me, whereas I LOVED every second of this book.

And this is a shining example of why there should be fewer Trilogies and more Duologies.

Read this one.
Kat
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
*I received an early copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I loved The Mirror King! It was as great as The Orphan Queen, which is always a good thing for duologies. This book made me WEEP. I wasn't expecting it to make me cry, but oh, did it do that.

This book seemed to be about choices--the freedom to make them and how they're part of being human. It was also about making mistakes and taking on responsibility before you're ready, but still trying the best you can. There

• The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • The Immortal Heights (The Elemental Trilogy, #3)
  • The Storyspinner (The Keepers' Chronicles, #1)
  • Daughter of Dusk (Midnight Thief, #2)
  • Endure (Defy, #3)
  • Avenged (Ruined, #2)
  • The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy, #1)
  • Mortal Heart (His Fair Assassin, #3)
  • Midnight Thief (Midnight Thief, #1)
  • Ruined (Ruined, #1)
  • Ignite (Defy, #2)
  • The Skylighter (The Keepers' Chronicles, #2)
  • Water's Wrath (Air Awakens, #4)
  • Earth's End (Air Awakens, #3)
  • The Cursed Sea (The Glass Spare, #2)
  • Fire Falling (Air Awakens, #2)
  • Defy (Defy, #1)
  • Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
I like books. Reading them, writing, and admiring them as my bookshelves begin to bow.

Yes, I will accept your friend request. I will probably not reply to private messages, though. If you want me to respond, please send an email. jodi.meadows at gmail dot com

Why are my ratings either five stars or none? I give five stars to books I'm enthusiastic about and

The Orphan Queen (2 books)
  • The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen, #1)
“Reasons we should get married:
Because I love you.
We both look good in black boots.
I spent some time without you, and I didn’t like it.
You make me happy.
I make you laugh.
I like the way you fight.
You see through my masks.
I really love you.
Army of tiny vigilantes. (I have name ideas.)
Various political reasons that make sense but don’t fit with the theme of this list.
I’m holding your handwriting hostage. You can have it back when you say yes.”
56 likes