Start by marking “The Black Knife (The Orphan Queen, #0.4)” as Want to Read:
The Black Knife (The Orphan Queen, #0.4)

The Black Knife

(The Orphan Queen #0.4)

Skyvale is on the verge of becoming a battleground. Told from the perspective of Tobiah, the crown prince with a dangerous secret, and set two years before the heart-racing action of The Orphan Queen, this 100-page digital novella brings to life one of Jodi Meadows’s most beloved characters.

Tobiah Pierce has been beaten and broken and has lost two people he cares about. Hi
Published March 1st 2016 by Harper Teen Impulse

To ask other readers questions about The Black Knife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Knife

Start your review of The Black Knife (The Orphan Queen, #0.4)
Jodi Meadows
Aug 12, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
The whole time I read the pass pages, I just kept muttering, "This poor boy. This poor, poor boy."
Jessica
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
As far as novellas go, this one was really good and provided valuable insight, imo.
Just don’t go and read these novellas before book 1 since it will ruin ALL the fun.
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Prince Tobiah has been beaten and broken, he has lost two people he cares about and on top of that his enemy Hensley knows his real identity. Tobiah has to stop Hensley trading the drugs to the Nightmare gang before it is too late and Skyvale will be overrun with firefly.

The Black Knife is the final prequel novella to The Orphan Queen and it is fast paced and full of action. I am glad I waited until all of the novellas were out before starting to read them as it worked well reading them as if t
Fatima
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This novella is probably my favorite out of all of them, only because Tobiah resembles so much of the badass person we know and love in The Orphan Queen. He's been through so much and I love that these novellas have provided us glimpses into his backstory and his development - it's made me love him even more.
rachel ☾
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star, fantasy
The perfect finale to this prequel novella series. I adore Tobiah, as you should know by now, and it's sad that this is our last book with him. I'm just glad it was so fulfilling!
Alaina
I think I'm in love with Tobiah forever. Maybe longer than that.

And I also did a terrible thing and read the other reviews of this novella before typing my own and I found out that TOBIAH DIES OR SOMETHING !?!?! Later on in the book series. I'm heartbroken - but don't worry I'm still going to read the rest of this series. No spoiler will ever stop me from reading a book!

Other than that, I seriously am in love with Tobiah. I feel like The Black Knife was a perfect ending to these novellas and I s
Carina Olsen
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth and final enovella about Tobiah Pierce from The Orphan Queen books. Aw. I will miss this boy. I have loved getting to know him more in all four novellas, and I adored him so much in The Orphan Queen and The Mirror King. I simply love him. He's a favorite of mine. I liked this final one a whole lot.

I simply adore how Jodi has written these books. Her writing is stunning. And I love her characters so much. I love Tobiah a lot. And James too. Sigh. He is the bestest friend. I lov
Megan
A major thing bothers me about this novella: no killing. Now I'm not a psychopath or a fan of gratuitous violence, but the black and white viewpoint of this just irritated me. Like Tobiah and James were up against eleven fighters. If you only injure them, you're either going to get captured or killed, most likely the latter. I get that killing is awful and a terrible burden, but it is unrealistic that they could get out of that situation without getting blood on their hands. Also the deaths that ...more
Paul Decker
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy when YA series include novellas between the releases of their books. It ties the reader over and allows them to keep in the world of the series. These novellas focus on Tobiah and are prequels to the series.

This is the final novella. The effects of the end of the last novel propel the action forward. Tobiah finally has a name for his vigilante persona. This novella is a nice conclusion. These three novellas really make a prequel novel in itself. I give this novella a 5/5.
Adriyanna Zimmermann
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced and action packed, this is my favourite of the four novellas. Meadows creates a fantastic ending to Tobiah's story and an excellent foreshadowing of the events to come in The Orphan Queen.

The last two sentences in this novella are absolute gold:

"Mirrors gleamed with starlight, calling me home. “I’ll meet her another time.”
Marty
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So many subtle clues...
Greyscotty
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short but sweet; fills in some background in the overall scheme of the series. Now I have to read the other three novellas.
♡ diasreads ♡
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's good. Still lacks a bit more for my taste.
Samkelisiwe
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Not what I expected, however the mystery of Black knife from the orphan queen is revealed.
Kimberly Gordon-Bercich
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute story. It has a Batman and Robin and Robinhood vibe. Gotta love a good vigilante story.
Em
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely ending. I especially loved the final page with Nameless Girl 😉
Tealover
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy, 2019
I love their tandem. The fight scenes here are gripping, as if Im running and fighting with them. I love, love James. I hope there's a better future for him in the final book.
Veronica
This last novella led into events in The Orphan Queen well. Backstory to events occurred and some new questions arose that I am sure will be answered in The Mirror King.
TheBookNutBlog
Originally posted on booklovingnut.com4.5 Nuts

4.5 Nuts

Like most of these novellas, this novella contains spoilers for The Orphan Queen. If you don't want to be spoiled do not read this review. It is also recommended that you do not read these novellas until you have read The Orphan Queen. These novellas are best when read in order.

This is the 4th novella in the Orphan Queen series.

Now that the boring warning stuff is done with, ON TO THE REVIEW!

Shock! Awe! Tobiah is the Black Knife. Ok, is anyone act
Katerina Kondrenko
5 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:
Inon Zur – Covert Action
Inon Zur – Dust & Danger
Icon Music – Quick Burning Wick

- It's official, Tobiah and Meredith's romance has more background. And how am I supposed to feel for him and Wil after that?
- Sacks with ice and painkillers. I can accept some cellarage whe
Amna Salam
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
GOSH! It felt so good to finally sit down and read a book. Ever since I started my my bachelors, my reading life has taken a backseat. I have lost all track of what books are coming or what books in my TBR have been released, and considering I have been waiting for them patiently since last year, this has disturbed me greatly.

So last night I decided to just read a BOOK. I picked BK cause it was a novella and was just perfect for the small time I had. Plus it was the conclusion to Tobiah aka my f
Kayleigh {K-Books}
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Black Knife Review on K-Books

Reading The Black Knife was a very bittersweet experience for me. I have absolutely adored reading Tobiah's story and although I couldn't wait to find out how it all ended I was super sad because that means his point of view is over. I have absolutely loved reading his story. I am so glad that I read them before starting The Orphan Queen as I feel like I will have so much more of an insight into his character going forward.

The Black Knife was massively action-pac
Jocelyn
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading how Tobiah became the Black Knife !!! We also see how he first comes across Will, we learn more about James and the unique relationship Tobiah has with James. I love knowing all these little details it helps build and shape the orphan queen and the mirror King. There is also a little hint towards something about Tobiah, that's if I understood it correctly. I will see if I did with the final book which I can't wait to read and maybe a with a lit research. Anyway I def recommend ...more
Carrie
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading The Black Knife.

As the last of the four prequel novellas, this story brings us closer to the events in the first book The Orphan Queen. But unlike most novellas, it did not feel like a "filler" or "money maker" novella. The story was wonderful and I loved watching him become the character I know and love from the full length novels.

There has been a lot of foreshadowing in these novellas, and The Black Knife is no different. But, just as with the other three stories, th
April
This worked as a conclusion to the story arc of Tobiah becoming Black Knife. I found the ending a little bit abrupt, but I was expecting something of a quick wrap-up as is often the case when it comes to novella tie-ins. I also really liked James in this part especially since it emphasized the relationship between the two of them, which I really enjoyed.

I definitely didn't like the way that they chose to publish this story. By splitting it up into a series of novellas released over several month
Tamara
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
More about Prince Tobiah prior to The Orphan Queen. Still adore him. Still hope Lady Meredith turns out to be evil so he can ditch her.

Important events of the novella: (view spoiler)
Katherine
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
A final culmination of the actions of Tobiah against Lord Hensley.

I felt that the direction taken made sense. It finished that story line that had been created between those two while setting up for the much larger world of the novels to come. I am left wanting to know more about Tobiah and who he will become as he is now his own man, a strong prince, and a dedicated man to both family and country.

I have enjoyed these little peeks into the world of the Mirror King and am excited to plunge into
Rachel
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome conclusion to a great set of novellas! I read all of the Tobiah Pierce novellas. I loved them all. It was great to see the growth from prince to Black Knife. Compelling and heartfelt story. I love Tobiah/Black Knife even more. I also love James, but I loved him in the Orphan Queen too. I now want to go back and re-read the Orphan Queen since Tobiah knew the entire time that Wil was nameless girl and see their interactions as prince/refugee again. Can't wait for The Mirror King!

• Firewalker (Worldwalker, #2)
  • Shadow & Flame (Rime Chronicles, #2)
  • Trial by Fire (Worldwalker, #1)
  • Shadow Curse (Noblesse Oblige Duet, #2)
  • Wicked Court (Noblesse Oblige Duet #1)
  • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
  • The Alpha Prince and His Bride
  • Wanderlost
  • Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3)
  • Lucky Caller
  • Little Knife (Grishaverse, #2.6)
  • The Detective: A Nathan McNamara Story (The Soul Summoner, #0.5)
  • Folktales from Ravka: Little Knife, The Too-Clever Fox, The Witch of Duva
  • Rowan (Worldwalker, #1.5)
  • The Dysasters: The Graphic Novel: The Graphic Novel
  • Freeks
  • Dead Famous
  • Icicles Like Kindling (Snow Like Ashes, #0.1)
I write books. I snuggle cats. I drink coffee.

Feel free to send a friend request. I don't reply to Goodreads messages; email is preferred.

The Orphan Queen (2 books)
  • The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen, #1)
  • The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen, #2)