Start by marking “The Burning Hand (The Orphan Queen, #0.3)” as Want to Read:
The Burning Hand (The Orphan Queen, #0.3)

The Burning Hand

(The Orphan Queen #0.3)

The city of Skyvale's problems have reached the palace. Told from the perspective of Tobiah, the crown prince with a dangerous secret, and set two years before the heart-racing action of The Orphan Queen, this 100-page digital novella brings to life one of Jodi Meadows's most beloved characters.

Tobiah Pierce is no longer simply a prince. He wanted to be more and do more af
150 pages
Published December 1st 2015 by Harper Teen Impulse

To ask other readers questions about The Burning Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burning Hand

Start your review of The Burning Hand (The Orphan Queen, #0.3)
Alaina
Oh look! My prayers have been answered because I got more of Tobiah!

The Burning Hand is the third novella in a short list of for lovely novellas. It doesn't disappoint either, just like the previous two. It's a little bit darker than the first two novellas as well - but oh man, is it amazing.

I'm secretly, okay not so secretly, falling for Tobiah. It's nice to get more information on him before I read The Orphan Queen and I hope that I will love him even more in that book (and beyond!). It's inte
Katerina Kondrenko
4.5 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:
Inon Zur – Covert Action
Inon Zur – Dust & Danger
Icon Music – Quick Burning Wick

I was hoping so badly for badass girls not to be the Ospreys. But that were them. And that's ridiculous! Little girls are stronger than a bunch of merciless criminals. So much for believabl
rachel ☾
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I still think these novellas should be combined to form a complete full-length prequel, but obviously that isn’t happening any time soon so I’ll stop saying that…

Anyway, this story was everything I needed. If you adored Tobiah in the main series, you should have already picked this mini series thing up by now. It is everything we could have asked for on that front. Tobiah’s characterisation is just on point. I just love seeing him evolve into the character we’ll later know him to be. He was so i
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
After watching his tutor being murdered and discovering that Skyvale is under threat, Prince Tobiah is determined to stop the murderer Hensley. With guidance for Romily, a girl who knows the way around the rooftops, is Tobiah willing to risk his reputation or his life to make things right?

The Burning Hand is the third prequel novella in The Orphan Queen series and my favourite so far but also the darkest. I love getting to know Tobiah better and seeing how much he wants to help his country despi
Carina Olsen
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Finally had the chance to read this precious novella today. And I'm glad to say that I liked it a whole lot. Sigh. I adore this world that Jodi has created. And getting to read so much about Tobiah two years before The Orphan Queen is all kinds of perfect. I love getting to know this precious boy; whom I adore so much.

I'm not sure what I can say about this short story, though. Because it is very short. Yet pretty amazing even so. I just loved getting to know Tobiah a bit more. And reading more a
Fatima
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This third novella was so much fun to read because it gave us a glimpse of the Black Knife in his early days when he's still clumsy and leading. Tobiah is such a great character and I love his fierceness and his determination.
Mary H
Aug 13, 2014 rated it liked it
I think I have hit a wall with Jodi's work because I was able to anticipate a lot of this novella so it wasn't as emotionally impactful as it should have been.
Kayleigh {K-Books}
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Burning Hand Review on K-Books

Once again, I couldn't wait to jump into the third prequel novella about Tobiah's story before the events of The Orphan Queen. The Burning Hand really upped the anti and the danger in this incredibly addictive story. After seeing the brutal murder of Professor Knight Tobiah is more determined to see justice.

I really loved every moment of this novella. Jodi has done such a fantastic job of having these novellas stand alone but also come together as if it could be
Paul Decker
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy when YA series include novellas between the releases of their books. It ties the reader over and allows them to keep in the world of the series. These novellas focus on Tobiah and are prequels to the series.

James takes on a little more of a focus in this novella. Tobiah is still learning how to operate as a vigilante. He tries to balance being the Black Knife and his responsibilities as an heir. I give this novella a 5/5.
Marty
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Norman
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Novellas, and this series, are just so addicting!
♡ diasreads ♡
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novella is okay. I just wish there was more ooomph to the action scenes and the deus ex machina seems a bit weak for my taste. I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like there aren't enough descriptions for world-building, making it simple instead of vast and complex. The whole kingdom seems like a small city for me.
Jamie Coudeville
I loved the inclusion of Wil (or nameless girl). I liked this one better than the first too, but I'd still prefer it in one big part.
Greyscotty
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Moving on - or is it back? - to the main stories. Like I said I want to finish all of them before passing judgement, as it were.
Jules Goud
Another short and sweet novella! I really enjoy getting Tobiah's perspective.
Em
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very dramatic. That bombshell with James caught me off guard. Will be interesting to see how things wrap up in the last novella.
Tealover
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy, 2019
It made my heart ache for him and for her. This is the story behind the vigilante. Told for Tobiah's perspective, it was short but sweet and painful too.
Julia Tulisov
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lol.
I wonder if Wil knows she saved black knife
TheBookNutBlog
Originally posted on booklovingnut.com4.5 Nuts

4.5 Nuts

This is the third novella in the Orphan Queen series, which make MUCH more sense if read in order.

This is the novella I like to refer to as the "novella of secrets". Seriously, everyone has a secret.

First, there's a HUGE, MEGA AWESOME secret regarding James, which if you've read Mirror King will make your jaw drop and your lip quiver with all the feels. WHY, JODI, WHY!? Also why does this never come up again? O.O If you're a James fangirl this is y
Carrie
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016, fantasy
This might be my favorite novella yet.

----

Once Upon A Dream Books

This might just be my favorite novella ever, it is certainly my favorite of the Orphan Queen prequel novellas. Things happen, oh boy do they happen. I'm not entirely surprised by the turn of events this novella took. After all, there is only one more left before the story reaches where the first book took place. But there really wasn't a dull moment. I could easily imagine Tobiah on his character journey behaving the way he does. He's not quite who
Amna Salam
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm so glad that Jodi decided to share with her readers Tobiah's story. His journey from the Crowned prince to Black Knife is so amazing to read. One more reason why I anticipate these novellas so much is that I like Black Knife more than Tobiah and to see how he transformed into my most favorite characters is a delight.

The best thing about BK is that he really really had to struggle and work to reach that position. It wasn't like the Crowned prince wanted to be a 'vigilante' and behold! he was
Tamara
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
In this novella, Tobiah is 16. And I still really like him. Thinking of the end of The Orphan Queen, it just makes me sad--I want certain things to happen, and I'm just afraid they won't.

Important events from this novella:
(view spoiler)
Christina
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-a-copy
I just realized I never added a review for this. FOR SHAME!

First off, if you've read The Orphan Queen but haven't been reading the novellas, you really should be. Aside from the two extra chapters of The Mirror King at the end of each novella (which is by the way a very compelling reason to read these), each of these novellas focuses on the struggles of Tobiah before he (view spoiler)and his struggles on becoming that.

Honestly, each of these novellas is a spoiler
Carrie White
There's something about this series of novellas that feels distinctly MG to me, or perhaps on the line between MG and YA. Maybe I've grown too used to the darkness that upper YA is presenting. Nonetheless, a terrific storyline, and the MC is certainly growing by leaps and bounds--though still showing enough holes in his armor to make the mistakes he needs to make if the story is to progress. I'm just sorry that the next installment isn't out yet!
Katherine
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tobiah is really acting on doing more in this short story, and it comes around back at him in the worst way. Being both the Crown Prince and a vigilante is not working out too well and his family begins to notice changes in him. Further, his vigilante work starts to put him in real danger as he tries to make changes. The end culminates in some serious problems for him and where to go from here; makes me curious to see how these short stories will end!
Karin (desAlien)
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Third Orphan Queen novella. Yay!
I absolutely adore everything by Jodi Meadows and this was no exception.
As for the story, I really didn't see some of this coming. I was kinda shocked about some things. Well done Jodi, well done.
Also can someone tell me what to do until the release of the fourth novel and especially Mirror King? Those preview chapters are great but also WAY to short!!!
April
Again, just a small part of the story, which is beginning to get very frustrating. I wish they would have chosen to release the entire story as one longer novella instead of chopping it up into bits to make more money. From all the build-up in this one, the concluding part should be electric though.
Tinnie
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
These Mirror king Chapter teasers at the end are killing me!!! I need it NOW!!! Urrghhh!! Even the next novella doesn't come out till next year. It's just too long of a wait.

Other than that, I enjoyed the Burning Hand. It was more actioned packed than the previous 2 novellas and you can clearly see now how the Black Knight came to be.
Lucie
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-novellas
I love these novellas so much! It add so much depth to Tobiah's character! Moreover, I really enjoy reading about gangs, it's so great and show us more of the city, since we saw a lot of the castle in The Orphan Queen. These neighbourhoods are also a discovery for Tobiah, which make it so much more enjoyable. I'm really excited to read the last one to know how everything will wrap up!
Mikaela Mona
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think this is my favorite so far out of the novellas, leaving The Black Knife as it was not yet released. I love how Black Knife struggled and didn't got everything so easy. I also love how Wil and the Ospreys have a cameo and here and Romily! Baby girl, come here. I am so hating the king and queen and the royal court. Also, come here, James, let me hug you.

• Lucky Caller
  • Shadow & Flame (Rime Chronicles, #2)
  • Trial by Fire (Worldwalker, #1)
  • Firewalker (Worldwalker, #2)
  • Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3)
  • Rowan (Worldwalker, #1.5)
  • After the Bridge (The Infernal Devices #3.5)
  • The Moth & the Flame (The Wrath & the Dawn, #0.25)
  • The Dysasters: The Graphic Novel: The Graphic Novel
  • Freeks
  • Icicles Like Kindling (Snow Like Ashes, #0.1)
  • Mind Games (Mind Games, #1)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • 覆面系ノイズ 3 (Fukumenkei Noise, #3)
  • 覆面系ノイズ 2 (Fukumenkei Noise, #2)
  • The Modern Faerie Tales: Tithe; Valiant; Ironside (Modern Faerie Tales, #1-3)
  • The Midnight Heir (The Bane Chronicles, #4)
  • The Oracle Queen (Three Dark Crowns #0.1)
I write books. I snuggle cats. I drink coffee.

Feel free to send a friend request. I don't reply to Goodreads messages; email is preferred.

The Orphan Queen (2 books)
  • The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen, #1)
  • The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen, #2)