Start by marking “The Hidden Prince (The Orphan Queen, #0.1)” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Prince (The Orphan Queen, #0.1)

The Hidden Prince

(The Orphan Queen #0.1)

The city of Skyvale is in trouble. Magic use is rampant. Crime is spreading. Told from the perspective of Tobiah, the crown prince with a dangerous secret, and set two years before the heart-racing action of The Orphan Queen, this 100-page digital novella brings to life one of Jodi Meadows's most beloved characters.

Tobiah Pierce knows he is a spoiled, sheltered prince, and
Published June 2nd 2015 by Epic Reads Impulse

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Prince, please sign up.
Belinda (TheBookBuddies) It's a novella (short story) in the Orphan Queen duology. It takes place before the events of The Orphan Queen, and it focuses on the origin of Black …moreIt's a novella (short story) in the Orphan Queen duology. It takes place before the events of The Orphan Queen, and it focuses on the origin of Black Knife.(less)

Start your review of The Hidden Prince (The Orphan Queen, #0.1)
Jodi Meadows
Aug 12, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
It's a novella! The first of four! About Black Knife!

The four novellas are about 56,000 words total -- so you can look at each one as a part of a short prequel novel.

Recommended to read between THE ORPHAN QUEEN and THE MIRROR KING, or after TMK.

Spoilers for TOQ: Black Knife's identity.
Katerina Kondrenko
5 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:
Inon Zur – Covert Action
Inon Zur – Dust & Danger
Icon Music – Quick Burning Wick

In this novella we meet the younger version of Tobiah, the heir of the Indigo Kingdom. We see how after kidnapping a long time ago he's still super sheltered and overprotected. He isn't allow
Adriyanna Zimmermann
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked reading The Hidden Prince by Jodi Meadows because it brought me back to the great writing that had me falling in love with The Orphan Queen. The reader gets an in-depth look on Tobiah, James, Chey, and Meredith among other Skyvale nobility and citizens. To be honest, I didn’t like chapter one; it felt like opening a book to a random page and reading from there, but from chapter two onwards I was totally into it! Surprisingly, the ending felt like a conclusion though we still get t ...more
Alaina
Now I love novellas. Like, so freaking much because they can hype you up for the first book. Well, if they are good enough - and trust me these novellas definitely do just that!

Now I've never read anything about the Orphan Queen so when I saw that Jodi wrote four novellas I was all for it! I hate finding out about novellas after I've already started the series. I loved everything about this novella too! The characters and story were pretty interesting. I'm getting the feeling that Tobiah is high
Kiara
JODI MEADOWS WANTS TO KILL ME WITH FEELS.
And I'm totally okay with that.
Jenna D.
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read more at Bookiemoji!

Not being one who would typically purchase an e-novella (or any novella, for that matter), I couldn't resist obtaining The Hidden Prince immediately upon its release. This is a superb origin story that retains the high level of quality in writing, characters and setting that already graces the pages of The Orphan Queen book series. Better yet, it is an origin story about the character we all know and love, Black Knife.

One of my favorite things about this novella it th
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Prince Tobiah knows his life is sheltered but he wants a chance to gain more freedom. When he witnesses a crime at his 16th birthday party he decides to risk everything and tries to find and apprehend the magical assailant.

The Hidden Prince is the enjoyable first novella of four, about Prince Tobiah from The Orphan Queen. It was very fast paced and well written, although it not worth the price considering there was not much too it. We get to know more about Tobiah and understand his frustration
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Ah, poor Tobiah. So misunderstood. :0/

I was going to wait and read all of the novellas before starting The Mirror King, but just reading this one had me anxious to start it, and since I already have a copy, it can't be held against me that I went ahead and did just that. :P I'll catch the novellas later. :)

Thanks for gifting this one to me, #otspsecretsister!
Carina Olsen
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm so thrilled that Jodi decided to write four short stories from the point of view of Tobiah. And that they are all coming out before The Mirror King :D Sigh, this first one was perfection. I adored The Orphan Queen so much. And I was dying to know more about Tobiah; my very favorite character in this world.

This novella is pretty short, so I'm not going to go into details about the plot and such. But I will say a few things. About how much I loved it. How much I love Tobiah. How much I love th
Alexa
If you read and loved The Orphan Queen, then The Hidden Prince is the novella for you. This is also the novella for you if you're curious about the book, but don't know if you want to commit yet. It gives you a glimpse at the world and the characters that you'll be encountering, with a particular focus on the wonderful Prince Tobiah. He's certainly a charming character to read about, from his personality to his interactions with his best friend and cousin James. This first installment gives you ...more
Sarah K
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
All great characters start somewhere! I LOVE PRINCE TOBIAH!

All great characters and acts of bravery start somewhere. The Hidden Prince novella sets the stage into the mind and life of Prince Tobiah, heir to the Indigo Kingdom!

I loved being able to hear Tobiah's point of view and understand how certain choices in his life came about. I also enjoyed the comradely between Tobiah and James, his cousin. This is in The Orphan Queen but now we get a better peek into their friendship.

There is lots of i
Chester Carstairs
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-extras
I was supposed to give this 3 stars (as the story told us nothing new but was entertaining just the same) but the first 2 chapters of The Mirror King at the back warranted a star of its own. Gosh, this series is going to be the end of me.
Britt Marczak
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
So good! Loving this world and characters so much. Now I need the rest of the novellas and The Mirror King!!!
Fatima
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love Tobiah so much and his friendship with James is everything.
Francesca ❆
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A buddy read with Jess.

This collection of novellas introduces us to the birth of Black Knife, the vigilante of Skyvale.

I went into these four novellas after reading the first book in the series and let me tell you, it was so much better than reading them in chronological order!
I don’t know why exactly, but I think the “hunt for the true identity” is way more exciting if you go in blind.

Also, I’ll applaude to the author’s cunningness for dropping what might seem like inconsequential information
Taschima
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
**Mild spoilers for those who have yet to read The Orphan Queen**

Short, sweet, and simple. This novella tells us of the origins of one of the most captivating characters in the Orphan Queen world, The Black Knife. A vigilante is born from the most unusual circumstances/background...

While reading it I came across things I didn't expect from our budding young prince. He really was a slightly spoiled brat, one who wanted to help and wanted to see the world but was just too scared to step a toe out
rachel ☾
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star, fantasy
I'm not the biggest fans of novellas, generally. They're often too short to truly add anything insightful to the original book or are so irrelevant to the main story that they feel pointless. The Hidden Prince did both of those things, really. I'm quite pissed off that it ended on a cliff-hanger. I'll have to go pick up the sequel novella now if I want to see how the story pans out... which is kind of ridiculous when you think about it.

But I did enjoy this story, however short it was. We got so
Lisa
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can't. I can't, I can't, I can't. So good. No words. Tobiah! Those first two chapters of the Mirror King! Dead.

----------

So, it's been a few days since I've read this, and I realized I hadn't written a proper review yet, so here we go.

At the top are my original thoughts, written only seconds after finishing the novella. It was so good! I loved seeing Tobiah from his point of view. Especially since he's grown a lot as a character between this novella, and two years later in the Orphan Queen. He
Kayleigh {K-Books}
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Hidden Prince Review on K-Books

I'm quite ashamed to say that prior to starting The Hidden Prince I had never read anything by Jodi Meadows before. I was just about to start The Orphan Queen when I discovered that there was four prequel novellas and decided that I would read them before jumping in to The Orphan Queen.

The Hidden Prince is such a great introduction to this world and story. I really enjoyed reading the start to Tobiah's story and I already really love his character. This novella
Christina
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-a-copy
I don't generally buy e-novellas, but I had to get Hidden Prince for basically all the reasons Jodi Meadows posted on twitter earlier. And it was so worth it!

The Hidden Prince is the story of Tobiah just before he (view spoiler) Getting in his head, wow. He always seemed so grumpy in The Orphan Queen, but (view spoiler) The Hidden Prince (and I expect the rest of the novellas) exp
Pili
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one, with the why Black Knife became Black Knife and not so much about him working as a vigilante yet! Highly recommended that you read Orphan Queen first because otherwise this one will spoil things for you!

And of course, the first chapters of Mirror King were such a treat but also such torture dammit!! Cannot wait for the next novella!!
4 to 4.5 stars for this one!
Eleanor Shepherd
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Tobiah takes a step toward growing up

I loved the ending of Orphan Queen. It hooked me into wanting more "now"! Book 2 the finale isn't out til 2016 so these short novellas are a nice tease. This particular book is a quick insight into why Tobiah's began his adventure as the Black Knife.
Yara
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
To wet your appetite for Orphan Queen

I adored The Orphan Queen, so I was really excited when I heard there'd be four prequel novellas. This one did not disappoint. We get to see the beginnings of why the prince is the way he is in Orphan Queen, and more of his humorous cousin. Itching to get the next installment!
Tammy
Jun 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Novella #1

Whenever I read a novella, especially after finishing the series my question is did it enhance my reading experience of the main story? Not really. We get a brief glance of Prince Tobiah two years before the events in The Orphan Queen take place and his need to escape from his reality.
Vanessa
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
I don't know if it's because it was only a short piece but I wasn't as satisfied by it as I thought I was going to be. Maybe once I read all four novellas, I'll be satisfied, so I am looking forward to the whole complete story line about Tobiah.
Vanessa
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Morgan (The Bookish Beagle)
Can't wait for the next novella!! It was delightful being back with Tobiah and James. I'm excited for more action going forward :)
Karin (desAlien)
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.
Can't wait for the other novellas and especially The Mirror King.
Everyone who liked The Orphan Queen needs to read this!
Trixiter Marczak
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This story (and the rest to follow) are great insight into the prince's story!! Must read!!!!
mith
It was okaaaay. I'm not really interested in the novellas, but maybe I will be. It's just the start and nothing really eye popping has happened yet.
Not enough James.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)
  • Lucky Caller
  • Firewalker (Worldwalker, #2)
  • The King's Guard (Fire and Thorns, #0.7)
  • Shadow & Flame (Rime Chronicles, #2)
  • The Shadow Cats (Fire and Thorns, #0.5)
  • Trial by Fire (Worldwalker, #1)
  • War (True Reign, #3)
  • Mind Games (Mind Games, #1)
  • Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3)
  • Rowan (Worldwalker, #1.5)
  • The Dysasters: The Graphic Novel: The Graphic Novel
  • Freeks
  • ЯED (True Reign, #2)
  • Icicles Like Kindling (Snow Like Ashes, #0.1)
  • Asking For a Friend (Boyfriend Material #1)
  • The Whitechapel Fiend (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #3)
  • Nothing but Shadows (Tales from Shadowhunter Academy, #4)
I write books. I snuggle cats. I drink coffee.

Feel free to send a friend request. I don't reply to Goodreads messages; email is preferred.

The Orphan Queen (2 books)
  • The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen, #1)
  • The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen, #2)