Start by marking “This Is Not the Abby Show” as Want to Read:
This Is Not the Abby Show

This Is Not the Abby Show

Abby was born for the spotlight. Now it’s her time to shine!

Abby is twice exceptional—she is gifted in math and science, and she has ADHD. Normally, she has everything pretty-much-sorta-kinda under control. But when Abby makes one HUGE mistake that leads to “The Night That Ruined My Life,” or “TNTRML,” she lands in summer school.

Abby thinks the other summer school kids are
Published July 12th 2016 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2016)

Medeia Sharif
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Abby has ADHD and cannot help being the center of attention, despite getting into trouble for it. She is intelligent and talented, with a good heart. She's a character to root for in this funny and insightful middle grade novel.
Mickey
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Middle grade books are something I rarely read, but this one's terrific for all ages. In this first person, present tense account, Abby tells us why she gets all the attention--at home, in school, wherever she goes. You know the annoying kid who disrupts classes, distracts in restaurants, and is always making a scene? That's Abby. But when you read this hilarious and heartfelt story from HER point of view, you'll understand how ADHD can influence a person's behavior. I tend not to root for the p ...more
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Based on the title I was expecting some sort of Disney Show book, rather dull and all too rosy. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised to discover Fischer's novel contains some valuable lessons. Not having ADHD myself I have been a bit of a disbeliever. I do believe there is such a condition, albeit over diagnosed, but I had no idea the enormous impact it can have on a young student's life. This heart-filled novel does an excellent job of depicting life through the lens of a twelve-year-old str ...more
Micki U
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This definitely IS the Abby show. Abby is a middle schooler struggling with her ADHD. She longs to be able to control her impulses and her off the cuff comedy.

Through the support of her family, the teacher every kid deserves, and her own "Breakfast Club," Abby learns more about herself during summer school than the content.

I have to admit I am a chapter title junky. This book does not disappoint with its comedic one-liners!

This is Not the Abby Show is heartwarming and endearing!
Joyce Sweeney
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a sparkling, bubbly, very funny novel about Abby, whose ADHD is both a blessing and a curse. Debbie Reed Fischer has a voice that makes Abby come to life and will keep the reader in stitches as this budding 'star' and comedienne learns when to pop off, speak out, speak up and shine...and when to 'filter'. A great novel about finding yourself, finding your tribe and being the star of your own life.
Bethe
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bookaday #80. Hilarious & honest & heartfelt, Abby's summer vacation through her ADHD eyes. Resources at the end.
Ms. Yingling
A bit too young for my readers, but would work for elementary school.
Ivy Desjardin
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good for kids with ADHD.

I like the honesty used about this family and student dealing with ADHD. It may be uncomfortable to hear how negative everyone is but that's the reality that must be confronted. It shows that you need understanding and acceptance but also personal responsibility. Good for kids and families to read.
Leslie Barberie Blount
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
My son has ADHD, so I read this book to try to understand him better. I think it is and entertaining book and we are rooting for Abby all the way as she struggles to do well in school and follow the rules.
KidlitUnderground
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Count me in as another fan of this author. Abby is hilarious, endearing and perfectly flawed. Fischer isn’t out to explain, fix, or demonize ADHD; she’s out to help kids (of all ages) with this issue shine. Abby’s finding her self confidence will resonate with the middle-grade demographic. Looking forward to more from Debbie.
So pick up your laptop, lady, and let’s get moving!
Sharon Tyler
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is Not the Abby Show by Debbie Reed Fischer is a charming middle grade novel. Abby is twice exceptional—she is gifted in math and science, and she has ADHD. Normally, she has everything pretty-much-sorta-kinda under control. But when Abby makes one HUGE mistake that leads to “The Night That Ruined My Life" and lands in summer school. Abby thinks the other summer school kids are going to be total weirdos. And what with her parents’ new rules, plus all the fuss over her brother’s bar mitzvah, ...more
Barbara
Middle grader Abby Green dreams of starring in her own show, and often she uses her clever way with words and her antics to keep her classmates in stitches. But many students with ADHD, she can go too far and get out of control. Although she is gifted in math and science, she struggles in her English class, partly because of the constant battle for control of the classroom between her and the teacher, Mr. Finsecker. When she ends up having to attend summer school and is grounded, Abby is devasta ...more
Tori Kelley
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was such a pleasure to read Debbie Reed Fischer’s newest book, THIS IS NOT THE ABBY SHOW. Fischer’s comedic timing is pitch perfect as well as portraying the life of a kid with ADHD. I laughed out loud with Abby and felt her frustration, too. I also found her family highly relatable. Fischer tackles real issues such as the systemic effect a child with a mental illness has on the entire family and her surrounding community. I cheered Abby along as she learned to increase her awareness and empa ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Fischer, Debbie Reed This is NOT the Abby Show, 311 pgs. Random House (Penguin) 2016. $16.99. Language: G ( 0 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG ; Violence: G.

Lisa
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
12-year-old Amy is gifted in math and science, but she also has ADHD, so she is impulsive and often does/says things she instantly regrets. She is in so much trouble with her Language Arts teacher, she has been suspended until the end of the year and has failed the class. Now, instead of going to theater camp, Abby is stuck in summer school. But the new teacher seems to know how to work with her, plus, for the first time since she can remember, she has a group of friends. Maybe Abby can finally ...more
Mindy Alyse
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love, love, LOVE This Is Not the Abby Show! It's truly an amazing book. The plot is great and the characters are so fleshed out. I laughed my way through it yet felt Abby's pain at constantly having to apologize and being misunderstood even though she tried hard to change. Plus, it really gave me a feel of what having ADHD can be like (and that there are several different kinds of ADHD). Not only will kids with ADHD love this book, but I'm sure that teachers/librarians/parents will love sharin ...more
Kerry Cerra
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg
I am notoriously tough when it comes to judging a book for its humor content, but I can honestly say I laughed my way through most of this one. Prior to reading THIS IS NOT THE ABBY SHOW, I had little knowledge of ADD/ADHD other than the negative stigma that is so often attached to the diagnosis. I’m grateful that this book allowed me inside Abby’s head to truly experience her thoughts, her desperate desire to control her impulses, but mostly witness her hope to be accepted for who she is despit ...more
Julie
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this funny, heart-warming book (and learned a thing or two about ADHD!) Definitely a book to share with kids, teachers, and parents who may be facing these kinds of challenges :)
Julie
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a refreshing read for me because it was funny and informative, all at the same time! I actually had a friend who, years ago, had a daughter with similar issues in school. Poor thing was bounced all over the place because teachers and administrators didn’t understand her or her needs. This author has shed light on an important topic that for years was overlooked. What’s worse than not being understood? Being MISunderstood. “This is Not the Abby Show” will help parents, teachers, administ ...more
Laurie
Jul 09, 2016 added it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Abby is a funny, self-aware, and endearing main character, and this is an entertaining story about the summer she spends in summer school instead of at drama camp, after her impulsiveness and attentional challenges get her in big trouble. Abby is a fun character to root for, and her growth is satisfying to watch. Fischer also offers an informative author's note about ADHD. A great choice for younger middle school readers who enjoy funny, character-driven books.
Mia Del
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Was very exciting!!! I hung on every word!! I give this book 5 stars.
Liza Tabita
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a teacher I read about ADHD students and how teacher and parents struggle with a child that has ADHD, but I never wonder how a child's life looks like when he has ADHD. Teenage years are hard enough without ADHD. This book opened my eyes.
Abby is a great child that has a lot on her plate. Even so she improves, she is willing to get over her problems and be a better person! And that is what life is all about! Get better, do better!
Kim Clement
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was hilarious! Just plain fun to read. I grew up with ADHD and I felt she captured the trauma and shame of ADHD very well. I also liked the theme of picking good friends. Also, I just like authors who treat writing as an art. While the book was light and fun, I felt the author put real heart into this story. Thanks Debbie Reed Fischer!
Shannon Hitchcock
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book! Sometimes issues books, (Abby has ADHD), are not much fun to read, but THIS IS NOT THE ABBY SHOW is the opposite of that. Sure, Abby struggles, but there's a generous dose of humor to combat Abby's many problems. I think kids will enjoy this book and learn a lot about kids coping with ADHD in the process.
Jonathan Rosen
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of this author and loved this book. I appreciate humor in a story and this book was very funny throughout, but also made me learn things about kids with ADHD without preaching. It was a quick read, in the fact that I didn't put it down. I highly recommend.
Abby Cooper
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! The voice is so very wonderfully MG. Abby is a great character, and I love how the book explores and discusses the many different symptoms of ADHD. Kids will love it, but I think it should be a must-read for teachers, too.
Marcy
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is GREAT: entertaining, heart-breaking and heart-warming all at the same time. As a parent of a child (named Abby) with ADHD, it really illuminated some of what goes on in my Abby's brain. Thank you Debbie Reed Fischer for such a great, informative, enjoyable read.
Ms.Patterson
I get that the author wanted to write a book for ADHD girls so they don't feel so alone or like nobody gets them. This book is just a bit shallow - it's ok, but not a standout.
ak
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review to comeeeeeee
Mia Del Turco
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think that This is not the Abby show, is a wonderful book and it helps people in the book to learn more about ADHD.
« previous 1 3 4 next »