Start by marking “Game On (Game On, #1)” as Want to Read:
Game On (Game On, #1)

Game On

(Game On #1)

Dear Author,
We met in the strangest way.

I was convinced he was a girl because of his choice of character, and he thought the same thing about me. You can imagine how surprised we were when we first met in person. How confused I was about my feeling for him. I was already in love with the person behind the character, but I had never been attracted to a man before.

Can you te
Published August 12th 2014 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Game On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Game On

Alvin
Dec. 5,2016: Upgraded the rating to 5 stars! If a writer would ask me what I want in a M/M Romance book, I'll point this one. :D

I LOVED IT!!!

This worked tremendously well for me!!!

I loved everything about it! First, is the prompt! The picture used was so awesome. Gay gamer lovers FTW!!! Imba!!! :D Then the cover, it's very cool and catchy!

The story was wonderful! Everything about it, the characters, the way they met (which is one of the most awesome first dates I've read), Max's realization o
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

I loved

Fighting Dirty by Olley White

by this author, so I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one.

Great prompt, amazing cover, what's not to love?

If you're expecting the grit of Fighting Dirty, forget it.

This is an utterly romantic, slow burn, contemporary tale of two young men (mid-20s) falling into an easy friendship that turns into something more.

The minute Max, waiting at the entrance to the zoo for his online gaming crush to show up, lays his eyes on "Stef," he realizes that she is in fact a he, not Ste
Natasha
One of the best GFY stories I've read in a long time.
Spoiler free, for your enjoyment!

This story had be busting a gut. I thought it was absolutely hilarious. The awkward moments (oh my god, the first meeting! I just about died of embarrassment), the subtle hints, the sweet comments. It was all brilliant and just what I wanted.

This is the type of story that is sweet and endearing, but doesn't make my teeth fall out.

I can't pick a favorite between Max and Stef. How could I? And those are the type
Rosa, really

Puppy lunge hug for Max and Stefan:

description

Very sweet and I loved that Max didn't have a major (or minor, really) crisis over his love and attraction for a man. I would have loved to see more couply stuff though.

However, my favorite part was all the new Briticisms I learned. Like "top tossing totty." I'm going to assume that means a really good looking bloke (heh--see what I did there?) who's well worth a masturbatory session or at the top of his masturbating list. If one makes such a list. I should def
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Recommends it for: GFY, kissing fiends like Downton Abbey
description

Confession: it weirds me out to read the work of friends cuz what if it sucks? Then let's face it that's just awkward, but I like Downton Abbey aka Lori/Olley (I'm incapable of referring to anyone by their actual name) so I figured I'd check this out. It was really good. Not my usual fare, but I expected that.

Max and Stefan's relationship evolves realistically. No one's a crazy train. No one's jumping into the deep end of the pool five seconds after meeting. These blokes are real. I love saying
Vivian
Doh!

When the real world collides with your avatar there's bound to be some misconceptions. Sweet GFY romance that has all the moves. This is a seriously cute and angst-free charmer.

Favorite passage:
He couldn’t quite figure out who had taken over his mouth― but he’d quite like control of it back. He didn’t like not knowing what was going to come out of it next.
Sara
Rating 4.5

So... I didn't read this today, I actually beta read this story and I can tell you that even in raw form, I loved the hell out of it. The more then 100 comments I left the author on her manuscript would be solid proof of my affection.

What a great take on the prompt with Stefan and Max. I love how they became friends through the game and arranged to meet in person. How Max was trying SO DAMN HARD not to imagine the "girl" he was going to meet as one of the feline characters and how he
Catherine
I liked this story a whole heck of a lot.

While on the surface I have almost nothing in common with these characters - I'm not male, British, in my twenties, have a great affinity for animals, gaming, roller skating, or public humiliation dancing - Max and Stefan wormed their way into my heart almost instantly. By the time Max started to feel his first flutterings of same-sex sexual awareness, I was completely invested in them and their happily ever after. My heart literally clutched when they w
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
I mean, what the... just stop it already with the sassy, funny, sweet, butterfly-central-in-the-belly loving hot fawesomeness!

I mean... who hasn't felt, not only that first love, but that first person who truly turns you on in every way? You know when it's different, when it's more.

Max and Stefan's personalities struck me as real, fully formed and ready to give us much more in the future. (Pwetty pwease? Yes, got demmit, this story has me all curly cue squishy. Demmit!!)

The dialogue was natural
Justin
Well that was just adorable.

I loved this story. But I really appreciated the humor. I laughed out loud at:
“Seen anything you fancy?”
“Maybe,” said Max,....“I usually go for something vegetarian, but I’m thinking of trying some meat tonight.”

Two other quotes really stood out for me:

“It’s better to have tried than live with regrets.”

and
“Gay, straight, bi— labels, schmabels.”

Great story, lovable MCs, likeable secondary characters and guyliner!!! What more could you ask for in a FREE story?!

T
Ami
Okay, let me get my issue out first. It is more about personal preference regarding technical aspect of the writing.

Ms. White seemed to like writing LONG paragraphs (honestly, that is why I haven't finished reading her other story, even if that one is only 8k long). When I say long, it consists probably > 10 sentences. Once, I even counted one paragraph with 20 sentences!!

I know that there is no standard in how long a paragraph should be. BUT, reflecting to my own (emphasis in MY) experienc
Giulio

Very nice and cute gay-nerd for you story.
Loved the skating bits and the British setting.
It is a pity that there was no bye-bye-butt-virginity scene..

But there were dogs and cats!!

Aug 19, 2014 rated it liked it

From animal cuteness to hand-holding tingles! This story has such a huge heart.

We meet Max and Stefan just as they’re about to meet in person for the first time. That first face to face meet-up for online friends can be terrifying. To be honest, I still haven’t mustered up the courage to take that leap. So I could feel Max and Stefan’s jitters under my own skin. But these guys crossover! They continue to play and laugh away from the computer screen with roller skating, zoo strolling, dancing, an
Anyta Sunday
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ohhhh, I have things to say about this gem!

So much FUN. I love stories that are fun, romantic, and "feel good"--well, this one was more than feel good, it was a feel great!

That first scene while they are both hanging, scouring the crowds going into the zoo was fab! I loved knowing, while poor Max was oblivious. This had me chuckling and already anticipating that moment they finally realize . . .

Wonderful start to a wonderful story. I loved Stefan's work at the animal shelter, loved getting gli
MaDoReader
Feb 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m
Sí, le he dado a este libro una estrella, 1= no me gustó
No, no quiero decir que el libro sea malo, sólo que no me gustó.

Pérdida de tiempo. No tengo yo el cuerpo para estas cosas.
Sheri
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Do you like surprises?
I do, I love them!
What a fun surprise this was. I mean, not the great writing (hallo? This is the lovely Olley White. Course it's going to be smashing!)

I'm talking about the surprise inside the story.
Two online friends decide to push the computer screens aside and meet...
in the flesh & blood.
*butterflies*
Uhhh, is that another dude?
Oh really?
Huh?
Well, that's ummmm,
SURPRISE!
This adorable story touches on many things that I believe in....but most importantly,
Who the per
John The Cosmic Wanderer
Shelves: gfy, m-m
This reminds me of my younger days playing mmorpgs. Id spend hours and hours of playing with little to no sleep. This story actually did happen in real life. A friend of mine of told that his guildmate became good friends with a female character in game and when they met in real life the other person turned out to be a transgender. They fell in love and became a couple. Anyway, this was just an ok read for me. It would have been great if we got to read how the friendship grew in game before they ...more
Trisha Harrington
Really nice and believable contemporary GFY story. I liked how Max came to terms with the fact he was attracted to Stefan. I loved the characters, and the secondary characters were good too.

I'm really liking this author stories. I read her other story for the event already and I really enjoyed this, too. And I would love to read more from her some day.
Ann
The perfect flavor of sweet. I loved the development of the relationship between Max and Stefan and I could really feel the friendship between them first. It made their relationship that much better to me.

My favorite thing though had to be Max's voice through the whole story. Stefan was not what he imagined, but it didn't keep him from being honest about his feelings. While slowly discovering his sexuality wasn't exactly what he had always believed it to be, he didn't let that keep him from exp
V
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was really cute and both characters were adorable.
I used to play lots of games and falling in love with your game buddy is not as strange as many might think. I have known married couples who met on online games.
In my case I always fell in love with my own male avatar, and that is weird, I know.
The only thing that I would like to ask the author about this story is ..where are the sex scenes? not even one little tiny scene :(
SheReadsALot
This cover might need to get a restraining order against...me. *growls*

P.S. DOWNLOADS ARE AVALABLE:

Exina
The Story
Such an interesting prompt: two geeks after spending a year with chatting in an online game, getting to know each other, and mutually supposing the other one is a girl, meet. While Stefan is gay, and he is expecting only to have a BFF, Max is practically already in love with the person he has spent a year in the game's chatroom. Stefan is pleasantly surprised, while Max is a little bit disappointed but also conflicted about his feelings and his undiminished attraction to Stefan.

The Rom
Tara♥
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Looking for angst free and something super sweet? Look no further.

Stefan and Max are trés adorbs. I loved how their story started and I loved how they came to realise how they felt about each other. It was a little rushed and I would of liked more of them as a couple and more about how their relationship impacted on their lives but it is a short so I know it's not possible to give a huge amount of follow-up.

Both men are sweet and lovely and I wanted to give hugs. There was not much smexy thoug
RB Martin
Aug 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-that-was-good
I want to jizz in the cover! Beautiful!

Though the story didn't suck me in like the cover did. I got bored and it didn't really held my attention. It was fine though. The build up was long for a short story. And there was no tension (or in my perspective, there was none)
Eugenia
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ho hum.....

This is a case of both the book and myself being at fault for inspiring any sort of excitement. I admit to being in a “meh” mood, this book did nothing to dispel my mehness. In fact, I fear that it increased the meh factor exponentially.

I suppose it was sweet, but GFY with zero angst and indecision on the part of the “straight” guy rings false to me.

I also couldn’t help comparing the trope of mistaken gender via online gaming to the amazing Looking for Group by Alexis Hall. This is an
Sunny
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Charming story that had me grinning throughout.

I loved that oh, so awkward moment when Max realized who Stef was. So funny, and so adorable. What a great start :D

It was great to get Stef's POV, too. To watch him process his attraction to Max and struggle with hiding it or risking their friendship on the chance for more.

And Max’s growing awareness that something was happening, but not exactly understanding what that was...

He wanted Stefan to say the words— but he didn’t want to know what words
BWT (Belen)
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Serviceable, but I still found myself skimming. That could be mood though. Meaning, I've been in a mood and it could have dragged down my enjoyment of the story.

I don't think so though. Sometimes you just enjoy something. This was not one of those times.

Plus this was the slowest burn of all slow burns and then I didn't 1. get butt sex or 2. get any on page sex at all.

Nothing more than kisses.

Bah! That did nothing to help my mood.
KatieMc
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Super cute and sweet GFY story with dancing, dogs and roller skating. GFY is generally not my cuppa, but this was fun and didn't have the "he'll never like me in that way" angst that puts me off GFY. Well done!

PS - if anyone has a visual of the roller skating chariot pose, I would love to see it. I couldn't find anything.
Elspeth
Dec 11, 2014 rated it liked it
So cute!!!
Jenna
Love that cover!
  • Geeking Out on 11C
  • Punch-Drunk Love
  • All I Ever Wanted
  • Busted (Wellington Guys #1)
  • The Best Part
  • Making It Happen
  • I Spy Pecan Pie
  • Broken Phoenix
About me;

Books with romance, books with sex,
Voodoo books and books with hex,
Fantasy, mystery, humour and crime,
Young adult, adult adult and kids from time to time,
In all their shapes and all their sizes,
I love books in all their guises.
Olley White

I live in England and use the fenland where I live as inspiration for my writing. I love romance in stories - boy/girl, boy/boy, girl/girl...if they're i

Game On (2 books)
  • First Time (Game On, #1.5)
“Gay, straight, bi - labels, schmabels.” 7 likes
“Wow, so he’d been called queer. It hurt, of course it did, he’d done nothing wrong. He was no different to the person he was twenty-four hours ago, or seven days ago, or a month ago or even a year ago. At least, no different in any way that counted. He didn’t hurt people, steal or manipulate. He was a good person. He knew that, his friends knew that, his family knew that. He wasn’t going to let one word get to him.” 6 likes