Start by marking “Black Water (Jane Yellowrock #6.3, #0.3, #7.5 )” as Want to Read:
Black Water (Jane Yellowrock #6.3, #0.3, #7.5 )

Black Water

(Jane Yellowrock #6.3, 0.3, 7.5)

Three stories from New York Times bestselling author Faith Hunter, starring shapeshifting skinwalker Jane Yellowrock.

In Black Water, Jane encounter
Published September 16th 2014 by Intermix

To ask other readers questions about Black Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Water

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more

Very short--probably less than 10 pages. Hmmm . . . 18 y.o. Jane's first day on the security job training. First 10 min. really . . . But that's all you need to see all the reasons we love Jane. #kickass

Black Water - 4.0 stars

Feeling responsible for the kidnapping of two women (b/c the kidnapper busted out jail seeking revenge after someone on Jane's team killed his werewolf sister), Jane enlists the help of Sarge (from BENEATH A BLOODY MOON) and his monster dog in a resc
Jeanny
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Black water is about an hour long (audible). I am not a fan of the French boy Rick & was happy he wasn't physically present during the story. Overall it was a fun short read. I rate it 4 stars.

Off the grid was also about an hour long (audible). This is a never before published short. The French boy was again brought up during this story & seems to be an essential part of the possible set up in a spin off series. I'm not sure I'll read that spin off being I dislike Ricky Bo. I rate this a
Carolyn F.
I read this in the anthology Black Water

Anthology

1. Black Water. Man, most of these short stories are gruesome. Not in the descriptions but in what is not said. It has a happy ending (for me). 4 stars

2. Snafu. This story takes place after she leaves the children's home and takes her first PI job. Short and sweet. 4 stars

3. Off the Grid. The short stories are pretty sad/sick with
Ian
Black Water is a compilation of three short stories from the world of Jane Yellowrock. Snafu and Off the Grid are new, while Black Water was previously released in audio format. The stand-out is Off the Grid in which Jane joins forces with Nell to rescue a vampire taken prisoner by a religious cult.

That story on it's own makes this compilation worth-while. Black Water was OK but I bought it when it was first released as audio, and Snafu was interesting but honestly nothing to write home about.
Jen Davis
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This anthology is a collection of two new and one previously published Jane Yellowrock stories. One of the new ones is really short. Here’s a breakdown:

Black Water – This is one of the two longer novellas. It’s set just after the events of “Beneath a Bloody Moon,” a short story in the Jane Yellowrock World Companion (before the beginning of Black Arts.) And it was previously released in audio.

Jane is on her way back home after her job is done hunting a werewolf pack in that story, when she learn
Mara
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
A must for fans waiting the next novels. It's made of a cute vignette of a 18 yo Jane and two short stories, one of which introduced the new heroine from the author's next series. I am really intrigued, but if Ricky Bo is going into it I'm not sure I am that interested. I haven't forgotten nor forgiven. :)
Beth
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Black Water is three novella length stories of Jane Yellowrock's adventures.

Each story takes place during a different time in her life. One story is 18 year old Jane just starting out. Another story takes place when she is still realizing the extent of her abilities tracking down a vile, escaped prisoner. The final story takes place right before the vampire delegation arrives from Europe.

If you are a fan, you'll love the insight into Jane. If you never read any of the Yellowrock series: 1. what
Marianne
Black Water consists og three Jane Yellowrock novellas rolled into one volume, some of which you'll find in other anthologies as well.

In Snafu, a young Jane shows up for her internship with a securities firm. But before she even gets her foot in the door, she’s accosted by two street toughs and is forced to draw on her new-found Beast-magic to defend herself… Aaand that's about it. Very short story, easily forgettable. I give it 2 ☆.

In Black Water, Jane encounters a dire situation involving an
Mitticus
Contiene:
Black Water -- Weres asesinos en los pantanos. Ya habia leido esta historia en otra antologia, y es muy interesante. Y entretenida.

Snafu -- Jane en una especie de 'entrevista' para su primer trabajo. Es casi un drabble.

Off the Grid. -- Leo envia a Jane para trabajar con una de las Ming (sip, otra vez las mentadas y misteriosas Ming, de las que nunca se dice nada , pero aparecen siempre metidas en dramas vampirescos). Han secuestrado a una de sus vampiresas nada menos que por un culto de
Douglas Meeks
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I keep waiting for one of these Jane Yellowrock stories to really suck ......... still waiting. These stories were exceptional even by Jane's standards and since I am a confirmed revenge junkie there were some of the best stories tinged heavily with a revenge vibe I have read in a long time.

The first is about a couple of escaped convicts that capture two innocent women and beat them and worse while Jane is in town, talk about your seriously bad luck, you don't even want to know how bad an idea t
Steph
(3.5 stars) READ IN Black Water

18-year-old Jane has "a little snafu" when she shows up to ENDERS SECURITY AND PRIVATE INVESTIVATIONS INC for her paid internship interview. She may be young, but she's already into boots and bikes and becoming a badass.

“Black Water” 4-stars
*Takes place after BLOOD TRADE and before BLACK ARTS
Jane Yellowrock is back in the very deep South, near Houma, this time chasing a human predator, racing to save the lives of the two women he has kidnapped.

- Cu
Irene
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, novellas
Black Water is okay, Snafu, was okay and really short. Off the Grid was good and the one to check out as it introduces Nell from the Soulwood series.
RachelW (BamaGal)
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
A nice set of 3 ss to tide the faithful reader over until Oct. 7. The first story, 'Black Water', was an addendum to a previous case, and 'Snafu' was an intriguing look back at an 18 year old Jane and her first job as a PI.

The best story was the last one, 'Off the Grid', where the reader is introduced to the mysterious Nell, who is to have her own series in 2015. Jane hooks Nell up for a job with ex-bf Rick LaFleur and PsyLED. I had always thought that Jane would end back up with Rick, but now
Debrac2014
Sep 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Two short stories! Black Water and Snafu! Good reading.
Evelyn E Hart
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jane Yellowrock series always a good read

I really like the Jane Yellowrock series always a good read and this one’s no exception. Jane and her team save the day!
Sassapphras
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-story
Read 5/7/2017
James
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had already read these stories under the 19 Cat tales, yet I still enjoy my Jane Yellowrock even on repeat.
Tony Hisgett
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, review
A nice but, very short story showing how even when young, Jane isn’t prepared to take any rubbish from violent idiots.
Mai
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great group of short stories!
Barbara
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Black Water includes three Jane Yellowrock stories, all of them outstanding.

Black Water: A story had everything needed for a great Jane Yellowrock experience – Jane enlists the aid of a lone wolf, werewolf that is, and her partner Eli, as they race to rescue two women who have been abducted by an escaped prisoner. They end up on an island surrounded by black water and alligators and the inevitable mayhem ensues. Plenty of great action and typical Jane attitude, but Beast only appears a tiny bit,
Lila
May 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: anthology, uf

This is one of better anthologies in this series.

"Beneath a Bloody Moon"

This shortie is direct continuation of Beneath a Bloody Moon: A Jane Yellowrock Story I got to read in Companion novel, so it should be read after that one. Both stories cover the time between book #6 and book #7.

Considering how much this story leans on Beneath a Bloody Moon, I can't say it stands good on its own. To put it mildly, you would be able to enjoy it more if you read the story where Jane meets Sarge first.
Sarge's
Bea  Charmed
My favorite of the stories was "Snafu", a very short story where Jane is eighteen years old and starting her PI internship. While not a lot actually happens, though Jane does kick butt in one scene, we get to see her still young, somewhat naive yet still smart, and eager to start her life away from the children's home. There are glimpses of the Jane we know from the novels but it's also a good look at what Jane was like before she became a vampire hunter.

In "Black Water", Jane has to deal with
Margaret
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This review was part of a Really Short Reviews post at Goldilox and the Three Weres featuring novellas in some of my favorite series.

Technically, this isn't just one novella. It's three stories in the world of Jane Yellowrock. The first one, "Black Water" returns to the town where Jane and her team hunted rogue werewolves in Blood Trade. An escaped convict related to one of those wolves is calling Jane out and causing havoc. This story feels really similar to the book to me. It's just that they'
Jenevieve
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review first published on My Blog. Check out all my reviews there!

A collection of three short stories set in the world of Jane Yellowrock and a preview of Broken Soul.

Black Water - takes place between Blood Trade and Black Arts. Jane and her team took out a group of shapeshifters but one of them had a brother in prison and he is not taking kindly to the murder of his sister. He has escaped and is looking for Jane to take some revenge and is just fine going through other people to do so.

Snafu -
Margaret
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**Three stories from *New York Times* bestselling author Faith Hunter, starring shapeshifting skinwalker Jane Yellowrock. **

In *Snafu*, a young Jane shows up for her internship with a securities firm. But before she even gets her foot in the door, she’s accosted by two street toughs and is forced to draw on her new-found Beast-magic to defend herself…

In *Black Water*, Jane encounters a dire situation involving an escaped prisoner and endangered hostages. With a helpful—and oddly sane—werewolf,
Angie
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While Snafu was amusing, it barely made it into short story territory, because it was SO short. But that little look into Jane's life before she learned the securities and vamp hunting businesses was fun. It happens right after she leaves the children's home and released that she is a skin walker and has Beast inside her. As Beast would say, "Fun!"

Black Water was previously released in an audio only format. It's a nice story that involves a few of Ricky Bo's relatives and the brother of the fema
He110Ne0
This is definitely the best short story compilation yet - and for many reasons other than the fact that the stories are pure, kick-ass, awesomeness.

The final short story introduces a brand new character who is getting her very own spin-off series coming in 2015 (as announced in its introduction by Faith Hunter herself). After reading this story I hope you become as intrigued with this mysterious young woman as I was. According to a direct tweet from Faith Hunter herself, it was even unexpected
Beckey
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pre-warning if you don't read the other 7 books in this series you may be lost... (This reviewer managed to read them all in a few days to give an accurate review of this book. The original post was due on Friday, September 26th but...) This is an overview review of the series as well as this book.

Hold on to your seats this is a fast paced action packed emotional book (The entire series was but that is another thing...) that was kind of surprised by. If you like Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson s
Alisha Henri
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely flew through the three stories in this E-book. Black Water was exciting and a great fast read. Jane/Beast to the rescue, and we met a new type of paranormal being whom Jane couldn't recognize. Snafu was just a tease for more information about Jane's experiences as a PI apprentice, again kicking the butts of two would-be thugs. Fun. While all three stories are superbly written, the third is the most intriguing, because it introduces us to Nell, whom Jane/Beast sniffs as a paranormal/ ...more
Katherine
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another very enjoyable read. These three shorts were new to me. "Black Water" introduces Sarge, a lonewolf werewolf, and his wife Christabel, who is a completely unknown type of supernatural. Jane isn't sure she's even a mammal. I'd like to know more about them: how Sarge is so completely in control of his wolf and what the devil Christabel is. The continuing development of Eli, the Kid, and Jane as family is touching. The action is pure Jane - fast and brutal.

"Snafu" is a tale of Jane just out
Urban Fantasy Afi...: September 2015 Series Read - Black Water 1 3 Aug 27, 2015 06:34AM
Have All You Faith Hunter Fans Seen This? 1 14 Sep 06, 2014 04:31PM
  • Easy Pickings (Walker Papers, #7.6; Jane Yellowrock, #3.1)
  • Zombie's Bite (Dorina Basarab, #0.1)
  • Shifting Shadows (Mercy Thompson #0.1, #0.6, #0.8, #1.5, #4.5, #5.5, #7.4)
  • Westward Weird
  • An Apple for the Creature
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • A Wrong Turn Towards Love (Estill County Mountain Man, #2)
  • Small Magics (Kate Daniels #0.5; 5.3; 5.6 )
  • The Ghosts of Bourbon Street  (InCryptid, #3.1)
  • Kitty's Greatest Hits (Kitty Norville)
  • Night Shift (Kate Daniels, #6.5; SPI Files, # 0.5; Psy-Changeling, #12.5; Barbarian, #1)
  • Leashing the Tempest (Arcadia Bell, #2.5)
  • Glitter & Mayhem
  • The Brimstone Deception (SPI Files, #3)
  • Otherworld Secrets (Otherworld Stories, #4)
  • Hex Appeal (Phoenix Chronicles; The Shadowfae Chronicles, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #5.6; The Dresden Files, #11.9)
  • Vampyrtroldene (Krøniker fra Kvæhl #2)
  • To Dance With the Devil (Blood Singer, #6)
Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series is a dark urban fantasy. Jane is a full blooded Cherokee skinwalker and hunter of rogue-vampires in a world of weres, witches, vampires, and other supernats.

Her Rogue Mage novels—Bloodring, Seraphs, Host, and the RPG Rogue Mage—feature Thorn St. Croix, a stone mage in a post-apocalyptic alternate reality.

The Soulwood series is a dark-urban fantasy / paranormal

Jane Yellowrock (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1)
  • Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2)
  • Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3)
  • Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4)
  • Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5)
  • Blood Trade (Jane Yellowrock, #6)
  • Black Arts (Jane Yellowrock, #7)
  • Broken Soul (Jane Yellowrock, #8)
  • Temporally Out of Order
  • Dark Heir (Jane Yellowrock, #9)
“The last story, “Off the Grid,” is one I’m incredibly excited about. It’s from Jane’s point of view, and it introduces a character named Nell Nicholson.” 0 likes