Start by marking “We Own the Night (Radio Hearts #2)” as Want to Read:
We Own the Night (Radio Hearts #2)

We Own the Night

(Radio Hearts #2)

"Happy midnight, my fellow Niteowls..."

As a candy store employee by day, and mysterious deejay "Niteowl" by night, eighteen-year-old Ingrid North is stuck between rock 'n roll and a hard place. She can't wait to get out of her tiny hometown of Steadfast, Nebraska (population three hundred and forty-seven) to chase her dreams, but small-town troubles keep getting in the way
Published June 28th 2016 by Bloomsbury Spark

To ask other readers questions about We Own the Night, please sign up.
Emily Nope! You'll see some of the same characters but can read them in either order!

Ashley Poston
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi there! So, I wrote this thing. WE OWN THE NIGHT is everything I wanted to write in a contemporary -- basically, if Sleepless in Seattle and St. Elmo's Fire had a baby, this would be that baby's lovechild with Green Day's American Idiot. It's about home, and missing home, and always having a home, and it's about one deejay's love story, told exclusively across the airwaves.
Stacee

I loved the idea of this book and that cover, so I was eager to start reading it.

Ingrid is a decent MC. She's smart and has an idea of what she wants to do, but doesn't go after it. She's struggling with some things, so I get that she's stressed out, but she was quite a push over.

I loved LD and Billie, but Micah was just meh. What I didn't understand was how this group of friends because friends. I would have liked just a bit more on the history side.

The plot was good and I was inter
Samantha
Jun 06, 2016 rated it liked it
D'AWWWW! That's what this was. We Own the Night is cute, sweet, and short. It is a delightful, heartfelt little romance that is perfect for kicking off the real start of summer. It is heartwarming, funny, surprisingly surprising (see what I did there?), and overall just a wonderful read. I'm in love.

Full of clever writing, dark and brooding characters, and an overall sense of quirkiness, We Own the Night is a light-hearted and unique summer adventure.
Alexa
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
OH MY GOODNESS! This book is a delight, and I am still kind of grinning silly over how it ends. While I do have a few personal reservations, I still wound up enjoying it overall. Perfect contemporary to indulge in during summertime!
Zoey Talbon
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm going to get straight to the point here: We Own the Night probably isn't the kind of contemporary that I would read over and over again like, say, Anna and the French Kiss or My Life Next Door, but it's fun, it's quick, and surprisingly emotional. As in I almost cried a few times.

Ingrid North is trapped. In her tiny town, in her life, in her head. She feels like she's stuck in Nebraska working in a store where she's miserable forever, and while her friends are moving on, she feels left behin
Nita
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cp-books
I absolutely loved this book. Ashley has a gift with contemporary YA, and the characters in this one are especially amazing. Add this to your to-read lists for sure, because I really couldn't put it down. :D
Rê
description

4 “Golden Boy” STARS

ARC via NetGalley

So this was a pleasant surprise.

I have to confess that “We Own the Night” was one of those books I requested because of its beautiful cover. The blurb was pretty cool, too, but I hadn’t heard anything about the story or the author prior to seeing it on NetGalley. This time, the cover didn’t steer me wrong.

The book promised a fun and cute read and it delivered just that. Not to say that it didn’t have some serious and heartbreaking m
Aleena
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one's a fun one, full of geeky references and Sleepless-in-Seattle-ness. Pretty predictable, but enjoyable all the same!
Anna
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was a cute insight to deeper topics, fresh with pop culture references and cute romance as well as coming-of-age realizations and questions of morality and moving forward.

To start off... A few random things I specifically liked and want to mention:
-You get the idea that Ingrid is on the chubby side, but she doesn't care. I love that.
-Ingrid's best friend, LD, is a really well-thought out character, and her development alongside Ingrid was wonderful.
-The last 25% of the book took a sort
Lefty Reads
I definitely didn't know what to expect going into this novel. I'm not sure why, but I just kinda thought it would be not-great, and I wasn't actually looking forward to reading it. But WOWZA BUDDY WAS I WRONG. I'm incredibly impressed by this novel. I loved every second of it!

So, I had a tough time thinking up a rating of this book, because it isn't necessarily the most original story, and it's probably not a book that I'm going to constantly fangirl over and shove in people's hands. This is t
Just Another Bookish Blog
If I had to choose one word to describe We Own the Night, it’s cute. This was such a cute, relatable story, from A to Z and back. More than the story, which was sweet, what stood out to me was the characters.

The story is simple enough - Ingrid and her friends, Micah, Billie and LD graduate from highschool and try to figure out themselves over the summer. Ingrid keeps a secret, one she’s not willing to tell anyone. The book is about trust, friendship and family.

Ingrid is the kind of person who
Starlight
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
*I received a free ebook copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley.*

As of this late, contemporary, post-high school, pre-college books are officially my thing. Saying goodbye to the past, embracing the future, and experiencing new things are all part of my near future as I prepare to graduate from high school (I'm graduating today, actually!) and leave to college next year, as they are part of Ingrid North's life in this novel. While our lives are very different (I attended a large sch
Cheyanne Young
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was so well written, funny, and heartwarming! I haven't read the first book in this series but now I'm going to. I loved how all of the characters felt real and they all had their own stuff going on. Ingrid was a great MC, literally, both as a book character and on the radio. The radio bits were my FAVORITE parts of this book. You don't normally see teen characters having those sorts of jobs, and I thought it was fascinating.

Dark and Brooding kept me guessing throughout the entire boo
Lissa
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was rooting for Ingrid as she faced the challenges throughout the book. Ingrid and her friends have just graduated high school and this book borders on the upper limits of YA. This is the kind of great immersive romance novel that invokes the unbelievable coincidences that we see in movies but the reader can get caught up in the drama anyway. Not entirely believable but a great story anyway. I read the companion novel "The Sound of Us" right afterward and highly recommend it also.
Sarah (What Sarah Read)
Super cute and filled with feels. This is a strong 3.5 stars for me. Review to come.
Eric Smith
Dec 20, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: young-adult

Seriously. I need it.
Karla
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
This was such a fun and amazing read. I absolutely loved the fact that it took place in a small town and all the characters were so close and you could feel the atmosphere... hard to explain but I got the same vibe from watching One Tree Hill. I guess it's a small town kind of thing.

It was nice to read about Ingrid being Niteowl, radio host by night and normal Ingrid by day. After a while they sort of meshed together and became one to be Ingrid North who follows her dreams and stands up for hers
Eve beinguniquebooks
LD, Billie, Micah and Ingrid are best friends who know how to party hard when we meet them first.

The stoey focuses on Ingrid as we learn about her, she got into NYU for her future studies but stays at home being her grandma's carer.

Of the group, Billie and Ingrid are close, with him often talking about his dad with her. They also share a maze together as a hideaway as well as a tower pointing North alike Billie's nickname for her.

Yet, Micah and Ingrid kissed before and Ingrid likes him while he
Billie Flaming
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW. GOOD BOOK IS GREAT.
This really surprised me. The romance was unbelievably sweet, but there were a lot of hurdles that needed to be dealt with before things got to happen. A lot of the plot twisted in unconventional ways, which I LOVED. The things you expect upon reading the cover/summary don’t happen, which is fun and sort of rare if you read as much stuff as I do.
I can’t give the moments of friendship in here enough props. Micah was kind of meh, and if I have a problem with the book it’s
Kristie
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-lit-realistic
While I enjoy Ashley Poston’s writing style and characters, there are some aspects about her book that make me wonder. I honestly don’t know if she thinks her readers are stupid, or her characters are. She has plot points that make me say “there’s no way in hell that she (character) doesn’t know this.” Overall, an enjoyable read with some really nice moments; I particularly liked them talking about giving up (unrequited) love to the stars.
Ron
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: coming_of_age, romance, ya
I spent many high school and college nights listening to late night radio and falling asleep with headphones on, so this had a natural appeal to me. (I do wish there'd been more radio stuff.) Very strong, authentic dialogue. The plot ambles along rather slowly (it IS set in Nebraska) but pays off in the long run.
Melissa
This was a good story that could have been great, with a little more development of the male characters and a little more exploration of Ingrid's own character development. It also definitely needed better editing (lots of mistaken gender descriptors, etc).
Sarah Marie
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
It was just an ok read and I was able to product some of the plot points from fairly early on
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, audio-book-2018
This really was as engaging, adorable, and lovable as the first book. Kicking myself for not reading it sooner. <3
Risa
Awww this was quite cute and had me hooked even though it was predictable but me liked.
Trish Heinrich
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

Some of the best books help us escape our lives when it gets tough and let us sink into their simplicity. That's this book. Simple and perfect.
Kate Singerline
Jan 07, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You know those books where they try too hard to build a history? Yeah this is it.
Jill
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Ingrid “Iggy” North lives in Steadfast, Nebraska, a town of 347 people, and is about to graduate from high school (in a class of 23 seniors). She would love to get out of Steadfast, where she feels everyone is labeled and pinned forever, but she can’t abandon her grandmother, who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.

Grams has always stuck with Ingrid. Ingrid's mom picked up and left when Ingrid was little, Ingrid never knew her dad, her cats and goldfish all died, most of her schoolmates bullied
Holly Storrow
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted on Book Twister ReviewsWe Own the Night by Ashley Poston is the kind of feel-good YA novel that most young-at-heart readers can get behind. It's witty, youthful, and chock full of fresh-from-high school drama. But Poston included a lot of heart in her second novel in the Radio Hearts series, and that's what makes We Own the Night so good.

The novel follows Iggy, aka Ingrid North, aka Niteowl, a girl embarking on her summer after high school graduation - a time th
Eli
What an incredible surprise.

I had two main reservations about this book before I started it.

The first was that it was published by Bloomsbury Spark. Don't get me wrong; I love Bloomsbury, and I have nothing against Bloomsbury Spark. It's just that the last time I reviewed Bloomsbury Spark books on the blog, they were from the Spark sampler. Most of the books in that sampler felt way more NA to me than YA, and I don't read NA. They weren't my type of stories, that's all.

The second was that this i
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Saving Kabul Corner
  • Losing Enough
  • Anywhere
  • The Waters of Iwingee (Book 1)
  • My Basmati Bat Mitzvah
  • How to Outswim a Shark Without a Snorkel (My Life Is a Zoo, #2)
  • Project X-Calibur
  • Dream On, Amber
  • Water in May
  • New Music (The Art of Lainey, #1.5)
  • Pixelated
  • Mistletoe and Mr. Right
  • Secrets, Schemes and Sewing Machines
  • I Am Drums
  • Under the Wolf, Under the Dog
  • Red Velvet Crush
  • All of the Above
  • Dinosaur Boy
Ashley Poston’s is a part-time author and full-time fangirl. She was born in rural South Carolina, where you can see the stars impossibly well...

Tweet her at @ashposton and read her inner-most rambles at www.ashposton.com.

Radio Hearts (2 books)
  • The Sound of Us (Radio Hearts, #1)