Start by marking “Early Daze” as Want to Read:
Early Daze

Early Daze

What happens when nine months suddenly becomes six?

Life has always gone smoothly for Jess Jackson, but then she got pregnant and it wasn't just her breakfast that started going down the pan. And now her baby has "fallen out" before she's even started ante-natal classes.

Suddenly, she's sucked into the bubble of the Neonatal Unit, where tensions run high and the real world f
Kindle Edition, 2, 178 pages
Published August 11th 2014 (first published March 28th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Early Daze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Early Daze

Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
This was an absolutely beautiful book to read, it has everything, some sad moments, some poignant moments, some REALLY funny moments, and all in all it's just a very entertaining book. You don't have to think to hard reading it, you just have to enjoy it. Wonderful!

Jess has just given birth to her very premature baby, she's a new mum and it's her first baby and it's pretty scary seeing your little tiny weeny one in special care in the hospital. She has hormones raging, fears of what is ahead, co
sue
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Jess little daughter is born early, very early, much too early and ends up in the neo natal unit.

We follow Jess as she learns all the emotions of becoming a Mom, not only that, she had a lot more weeks to go, so motherhood has come too early! She also has to bond with her baby via holes in a cot with a little baby who she cannot touch because of her delicate skin. The emotions that surround all of this are immense in her.

There are plenty of fun parts though especially when she is excreting some
BestChickLit.com
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
JGR has never let me down. Her writing reminds me a little of Marian Keyes – witty and easy to read but packing a serious punch of poignancy and a bittersweet nature.

Jess has led an exceedingly sheltered life and has developed some very straight-laced and, shall we say, conservative views. That is until she suffers a horrendous pregnancy that leads to a scarily premature baby.

Suddenly Jess is living in a world of doubt. Will her baby survive? Was it her fault? When will the surge of motherly lov
Jo-Anne
I received a complementary copy in exchange for an honest review.

We start out meeting Jess in the Neonatal Intensive Care unit where she has just delivered a very premature baby. Much of the story takes place here while we learn what is involved with helping the baby survive. I have great respect for authors who do their research before writing fictional work and it was obvious that this was very well researched. She even went into some hormonal changes that happen when a woman has a baby and ho
Queen Spades
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: royally-favored
I have read some books by this author in the past, such as After Wimbledon, Wedding Hells, and The Dr. Pepper Prophecies. I dived into Early Daze, not quite knowing what to expect.

The rhythm of development between Samantha the baby and Jess the mom was very touching and tugged at my heart. Jessstruggled with how to feel, not just because of being a mom but dealing with the challenges of not having “the perfect baby.” Outside pressures from family to friends are eye openers to the type of prejud
Becky Monson
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This might have been a tough read for me, having been there myself. At first I blubbered like a baby, but then as the book settled into Jess's situation and the things that she was going through, the book took off for me and I loved it. Like, really loved it. It has sat with me for days after and I might even have to read it again.

Although a bit of a departure from her other books (this book had a more serious tone, although Jennifer's wit still shines through), this was another great read from
Puscas Mircea
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This book was beautifully written , it was a pleasure to read it . The characters are likeable , the story is kinda short but refreshing . It's relaxing , a perfect read for the weekend .
Andi Houtsch
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Early Daze reads much like a memoir although from Roberts’ explanation (found included on the Amazon.com purchase page for the book) it isn’t meant to be. Although partially based on personal experience, this is not Roberts’ story of her daughter premature birth but an attempt to share the most important aspects of her experiences in order to bring light to what is ordinarily a rarely discussed topic.
They say that easy writing makes for hard reading, and hard writing makes for easy reading. Thi
Kathryn Laceby
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed at Novel Escapes

I was engrossed by this novel by Jennifer Gilby Roberts and have firmly put her on my list of my favourite authors. I’ve now read three of her novels and they have all had a new feel. I appreciate that she’s not got a formulated book format and is branching out in her subject matter. While each novel I’ve read is told in the first person I also found each voice to be unique.

Early Daze was emotional, funny and sometimes shocking. There were moments when I was o
Bev Walkling
I was given an e-copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.
My back-ground includes many years as a registered nurse and pre-natal instructor. I am also a Granny and my first grandchild came early, though not quite as early as the baby in this book!

The author started the book in such a way that you jump right into Jess’s experience and are right there as it is happening. I was a little surprised at her early description of hand expressing milk while I asking her partner to
Elaine
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that I really enjoyed reading. It is set in a neo-natal unit and centres around Jess, whose daughter Samantha was born at six months and is being cared for in the unit. We follow Samantha’s progress from the time she is one week old and it makes very moving reading. I felt myself welling up a few times. Told from Jess’s viewpoint and with such detail about the care the hospital provides, at times it is almost like reading a memoir rather than a fictional story. I really like Jess’ ...more
Pete
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jess falls pregnant. Although the father is her fiancé, it’s not as planned event. Then to top it all off, her baby arrives three months early. The novel focuses on her time spent attached to the Neonatal Intensive Care unit at her local hospital where her baby was being cared for.

What I like about women’s fiction, in general, is that the stories often tackle complicated and deeply emotional subjects. I found this to be the case with Early Daze. Only after I’d finished the novel (in two sittings
Anna
Mar 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah it was really…interesting book even though normally I wouldn’t have read book like this. It started slow, at first it was little boring but it picks up after 6-7 chapter. It started right after the moment when baby’s “popped out”. Most of story is happening in Neonatal Intensive Care and after all the talking about what baby looks like, how much she weights, talks about breast pumping, breast infections and other horrifying thing that comes after having baby, I don’t really want to have one a ...more
Christie72
Apr 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
~I was given a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.~

Early Daze by Jennifer Gilby Roberts was a raw, honest look at the realities of giving birth to a baby prematurely. Although it was a heavier read than her other books, I really enjoyed it.

Jess finds her life turned upside down when she gives birth to her daughter, Samantha, prematurely...at 6 months. She is away from her fiancé and surrounded by strangers who are going through what she is. She finds herself becomi
Celia Kennedy
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Early Daze touches on many plot lines, gently, but powerfully. This books focus is primarily on Jess, a young woman who has given birth to her daughter Samantha, prematurely - at the line where surviving outside the womb is barely possible. Ms. Roberts does a brilliant job at keeping the pace of the book moving, while expressing the painfully slow progress Samantha makes.

While her daughter is in the NICU (Natal Intensive Care Unit), Jess meets other parents whose children face similar struggles.
Rachelle
Nobody wants to imagine the horror that is a difficult pregnancy resulting in delivering the baby at five months. Unfortunately, that’s the reality for many women each day, and Jennifer Gilby Roberts does a stunning job sharing that reality with readers.
Jess is a young, unmarried mother who has just given birth to her daughter Samantha. Because Samantha is in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit), Jess takes up residency in the hospital-owned flats designated for out-of-town parents whose babi
Angie
Jun 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book from the author to do an honest review, for being what the topic is about it was a very light read. The tone of the book felt as if Jess was at a very long sleep over. Amelia her sister actually stood in the hospital room after Jess gave birth to Samantha and blamed Jess for "the baby falling out early". Jess was not asking questions about all the things her new baby was going through. Most parents would want to know everything. Speaking of parents Samantha's father Ryan just lef ...more
Cat
Apr 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Early Daze is a thoroughly enjoyable read from start to finish. It tells the story of a young woman whose daughter was born prematurely and the tribulations faced throughout the first months of Samantha's fragile life. As Jess struggles to manage her feelings about her sudden and shocking introduction to motherhood, she begins to question her beliefs and attitudes about how she and others live their lives. Sharing the challenges of having a preemie, Jess and the other NICU parents form a bond th ...more
Jill
Aug 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Early Daze tells the story of Jess Jackson, who finds herself suddenly with a preemie baby. This is a light-hearted look at some of the challenges she faces--from learning to live a "normal" life, to dealing with guilt/criticism from others. As a new mother, I can definitely relate to some of the problems she encountered, and it made me chuckle to realize that I was blindsided by the new-mom learning curve, too! The book is a pleasant read with not much conflict nor a deep plot, but made me feel ...more
Elizabeth Ray
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was one of the early proofreaders of this book. This is an honest review.

I think this was my favorite Jennifer Gilby Roberts' book. It was more serious than her other books. I really liked who she ended up with in the end. It was unpredictable and sweet. I liked how the experience of being in the hospital really changed the main character. I felt like it was written the way a harried, first-time mother would write it. I really heard "her voice." It was her true thoughts and feelings- more like
Shim
May 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The big positive aspects of this book will have to be in depth of premature babies and the care they need. I constantly felt the writer knew what she was talking about and had fully researched.
However it's not a book that I will read again, though this book may appeal to many, it's not for me. There was not enough drama in the book. Neither was there enough characteristics of other characters described.
overall not a bad book, but it felt more like a documentary or a dairy of someone who has be
Jenn
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Received this book in the giveaway however I was pregnant at the time and couldn't bring myself to read it. especially after having a preemie with my first pregnancy.

Loved the book!!! Couldn't put it down. Found myself reliving my experience because it was so well written and described the emotions perfectly. this book hit them all; sadness, shock, happiness and moments of laughter. the main character was so easy to like and empathize with. so glad I won this in the giveaways and was able to exp
Kim
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
This is a quick, fun read on a serious subject...preemies. I was a proofreader for this book, and have to say how much I enjoyed it. I found myself forgetting to look for errors because I got caught up in the story. Of course since my 1st grandchild was born just 2 months ago, this was a touching subject for me as a mom, a grandmother, and a woman. Early Daze also helps you find a little humor in a not so funny situation. Good job Jennifer!
Malin
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We follow a mother on an emotional journey in the NICU when her baby is born three months premature, how she struggles with all his feelings, all the ups and downs and a family that is not too supportive when she needs them most.

This book gave me great insight on how it really is and how parents feel and deal with what happens in the meantime their little children fighting for their lives.

I was given a free copy from the author for an honest review.
Angie
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book to proof read and I feel so fortunate to have been able to do so. This book is amazing!!! I absolutely loved it and can't wait to read other books of Jennifer Gilby Roberts. The book deals with the premature birth of a baby and how everyone deals with it. Having never dealt with this I still felt emotionally vested in what was going on. I loved the characters in the book and was extremely happy with how it ended!! Read this if you get the chance!!!
T.B. Markinson
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I’ve ready by Jennifer Gilby Roberts and it won’t be the last. At first I wasn’t sure if I would take to the book since I’ve never had children. Yet, the honest and raw writing pulled me in. And even though the subject is serious she sprinkles in enough humor to lighten it up some.
Julie Williams
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was lucky enough to proofread this book. What a great read it is. Well researched material of premature babies. Many Lol moments & a couple of sad ones. Well done Jennifer will definitely recommend this book.
Ms Anja
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"This was supposed to be easy, you know. I thought I'd be cooing away over you. But we're not supposed to be able to see each other yet."

Those few words got me hooked. And I'm glad they did.
Tara Taillon
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
For such a short book, there was some great character development. I absolutely loved how informative this book was. I've always been fascinated with pregnancy and maternity, I'm so happy about all the things I've learned through reading this short book.
Sue
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book approached the trauma of having a premature baby. It was written very well, and grabbed me by the heart! Worth the read!!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Little Things
  • Momentum (Le Garde #2)
  • Bacon Girl: A Tale of Love, Treachery, Romance, Powerlifting, and Bacon
  • Out of This World
  • Three Twisted Stories: Go Deep, Necessary Women, Remmy Rothstein Toes the Line
  • Cat and Jemima J
  • Kismetology
  • Chasing Fools
  • Love, Lies and Lemon Cake
  • Cupid on the Loose!: A Valentine's Day Anthology of Short Stories
Jennifer Gilby Roberts has a degree in physics and a postgraduate certificate in computing, so writing fiction was inevitable really. She was born and grew up in Surrey/Greater London, but now lives in Richmond, North Yorkshire with her husband, small daughter, two middle-aged cats and a lot of dust bunnies. She also has a grown-up step-daughter and a large extended family (by marriage).

Her job r
“about ten incubators plus monitors round a central desk.  An incubator is a large, clear plastic box on a stand, with portholes” 0 likes