Start by marking “White Gold Wielder (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #3)” as Want to Read:
White Gold Wielder (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #3)

White Gold Wielder

(The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant #3)

Thomas Covenant knew that despite his failure on the Isle of The One Tree, he had to return to the Land and fight. After a long and arduous journey, fighting all the way, he readies himself for the final showdown with Lord Foul, the Despiser, and begins to understand things he had only just wondered about before....
Published June 23rd 1997 by Del Rey (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about White Gold Wielder, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of White Gold Wielder (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #3)
Derk
Mar 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I pretty much wanted to see Thomas Covenant strangled, but I couldn't stop reading the darn series
Jamie
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Unlike other reviews I've read, I liked the second trilogy as much as the first. And I can understand why the author took almost two decades to tackle his third trilogy (The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever). I attempted to read the first trilogy when I was much younger than I am now, around 12, and just couldn't get into it. And not because of the "big awful" that happened near the beginning of the first book... just because I hadn't experienced enough life to scratch the surfa ...more
Graeme Rodaughan
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: anyone who can't do meditation.
This is me doing a drive by review of this series. Which I have read in full, once, and I bought all the books in hardcover, or trade paperback - and then subsequently passed them on to 2nd hand book shops - because I knew I'd only ever read them once.

It takes a special effort to get to the end of the 2nd series. I blame boredom for prompting me to finish this book.

It's marginally better than doing nothing at all.
Josh
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
While I enjoyed the series, and thought it was a fascinating universe with interesting characters, I had two major problems.

#1 - Both the first and second Chronicles are almost entirely composed of suffering and death. I've got no problem with dark stories, but spending days/weeks reading nothing but horrible events can take its toll. I often had to limit my reading to night time, because of I read early in the day I'd spend all day depressed.

#2 - Without going into any spoilers, I will say th
Branwen Sedai *of the Brown Ajah*
"We are mortal, and the visage of failure is heinous to us. But we are not required to succeed. It is required of us only that we hold fast in every gale and let come what may."

"That is the grace which has been given to you. To bear what must be borne."

In this third and final installment of the second Thomas Covenant trilogy many secrets are revealed, much despair is wrought, love is rekindled, and hope begins to flourish once more. Covenant, Linden, and their band of friends make their way to M
Mike
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
The Earth's crust was still cooling when I read this.

So, we come again to the last book in the trilogy. Things haven't gone well for the home team (but no spoilers). Our hero and the Doctor return again to fight for the Land.

In this novel, Donaldson surpasses his previous ending. Covenant takes actions that surprise not only his enemies, but friends as well. In this book he has finally come to terms with much that he was told/should understand, using that knowledge to force things to a victory.

S
The Amazing Teacher Mr. Walsh Walsh
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Arguably the best epic fantasy since JRR Tolkein (with apologies to Roger Zelazny and the Prices of Amber series), this is the last in the second trilogy of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever (read the other trilogy first to appreciate this trilogy). It is a terrific coda. However, I must note that it starts off with a violent act and should only be read after your parents have signed off on the mature themes.
Brian Schwartz
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
The second trilogy really pales in comparison to the first. It opens with promise as we see the Land, which Donaldson imbued with so much beauty and spirit in his first trilogy, warped and ruined. The first book was about action, reaction, and learning. Plots and subplots were put into motion and promised an epic battle for the heart and soul of the living Land.

However, Donaldson wallowed in lugubrious reflection, second guessing, and overwrought emotion. Thomas Covenant was an anti-hero. We wer
Derek
Jan 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Much like the first trilogy, this is also a dark read, but oh, so worth the journey. Thomas Covenant has an equally-flawed assistant, and it is even more fascinating to see their issues interact than it was just watching TC make it through the first trilogy.

If you missed my review of the first series, you might want to read it, as I did a much better job with that one.

Mr. Donaldson remains extraordinary, and the Second Chronicles are just as worthy of all the praise heaped upon the First Chronic
Rob Hermanowski
Apr 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Re-read this (and all the Covenant books) in preparation for the anticipated 10th and final Covenant book publication in fall, 2013. A magnificent ending to the Second Chronicles - Donaldson is even better in this trilogy than in the first!
Christopher Selmek
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This one was okay. It wrapped up the plotlines from the previous two novels in the second trilogy, but I've already stated that I liked the first trilogy better. In the first chronicles, Covenant was exploring and coming to an understanding of The Land. In the second chronicles, Covenant totally understands The Land. Donaldson seems to go out of his way to have his heroes wandering around discovering new creatures and landscapes. Far too much of the second chronicles involves the party traveling ...more
Tony Calder
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This brings to an end the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, and somewhat redeems the series after the abysmal second book in the series, The One Tree. This second series is not as good as the First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. A second major character is introduced in this series, but she doesn't lead to any easing up of the doom and gloom of Covenant as she seems to be filled with even more self-loathing than he is.

The story is resolved, and redemption achieved for both of them by the end
Nancy
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
GReat story. Got some other books to read first, but will get into the next part of the series....

Dan Young
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very good conclusion to this trilogy. Donaldson resolved all the threads of the story smoothly. Lord Foul was again brought down in a rather unsuspecting way. Interested to see how the next one goes...
Steven Meyers
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The final volume in Thomas Covenant’s trilogy begins with him being a broken man and directionless. Covenant has come to the conclusion that he and his White Gold wedding ring together are instruments of evil and Linden Avery, his accidental cohort, is the true potential savior of the Land. His ego is having a difficult time with the idea that he’s not the It guy and should relinquish his white gold ring to Avery.

The adventure appears to revolve around the nature of pride and struggling to act
Rives Mcdow
Sep 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book, and the other books of this series about Sir Thomas Covenant are the only books that actually made me sweat when reading them. They are intense. After reading this book, the first I read of the series, I said I would never read this author again. I couldn't help myself though, after I recovered from the first book. I started another one, and made my way through it. By the time I had read all the books in the series, I was more accustomed to Donaldson's writing style, and after reading ...more
Judy
Mar 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Fantasy
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I read this entire series. Unlike most series, it doesn't fade in interest after the first book. As the publisher states: "These books have never received the recognition they deserve. It's one of the most powerful and complex fantasy trilogies since Lord of the Rings, but Donaldson is not just another Tolkien wanabee. Each character-driven book introduces unexpected plots, sub-plots, and a host of magical beings so believably rendered you'd believe you might bump into them on your way to the bo ...more
John Devlin
Mar 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Donaldson's unique talent for delivering fantasy in a way that's literary, quiet, and yet still very absorbing has always been a mystery to me.
Mark Oppenlander
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book wasn't what I remembered it being. When I was 16 or so, I recall reading this novel for the first time and thinking it bleak and unrelenting. Nonetheless, the ending moved me and the story had a profound impact on me for years to come. My memory was of the characters struggling through a cold and lonely landscape, suffering terrible tragedy after terrible tragedy. However, I also vaguely remember it feeling like a frigid, difficult, and even somewhat boring slog. As an adult, the diffi ...more
Steven
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the third and final novel of the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, and stands as the sixth novel out of all the series. For some twenty years, this was the final Covenant novel, until author Stephen Donaldson wrote the third series. It is now book six of ten.

As a finale to the second chronicles and, for decades, to the entire series, this book is both satisfying and somber. Donaldson writes no completely happy endings. As with the first series, victory can only be obtained at great c
Mitch
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-2020
4.0 Stars
The best book of the second trilogy but I still felt it lacked that spark that made the first trilogy so special.

I think Donaldson's does two things very well:
1) Create unique worlds that feel all his own
2) Structure his series in a way that feels like it's organically expanding every novel and is ultimately rewarding by the end.

Where Donaldson trips up, especially in this trilogy, is both in the excess of purple prose and an operatic style that keeps the characters both at a distance
Jonathan O'Brien
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The end of the Second Chronicles is brilliant. I like how Donaldson ends his series by bringing pieces together. The Giants, Sunder and Hollian, Vain and Findail, the Haruchai--all their stories wrap up effectively here. The struggle of Vain and Findail--nature and law--is very interesting and even comical. Sunder and Hollian--Stonedownor and Woodhelven--come to take charge of the Land's nurture. The Haruchai bend their purposes to serve all the Land and its people. And of course, Linden and Cov ...more
Allegra Gulino
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
The author's writing habits have snowballed for me at this point. You know how once you notice something, that you can't unnotice it? That's the case here.
However there were some surprises in the plot, which were enjoyable. The ending, though very Catholic in theme, made sense and was a satisfying conclusion. There was one giant -- and I use that term literally and figuratively unfinished tale in the book. To avoid spoilers, I will say no more, but once you've read it, you will know what I mean.
Matthew
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2019
A mostly satisfying and powerful end to the Second Chronicles. I wasn't much a fan of the first third or so of the book, as it took place primarily on a ship. This made the story very slow-moving and not much developed along the way. Once the company left the ship, however, the pace picked up.

The Thomas Covenant series is very much a quest, travel-type novel a la Tolkien. So if you are an impatient reader, you may feel frustrated by all the movement across vast stretches of landscape that occur
Randy
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-this-book
Reading this book this month was even more satisfying than when I read it in the eighties. My complaint about it now is the same as it was then, but, other than that, the story was incredibly fulfilling. Even the complaint must be taken with a grain of salt, since Donaldson did not trick the reader, nor pull any unfair rabbits from his hat. Whether you like his dénouement or not, it was fair and legitimate.
Also, as with the first five books in this series, you come away smarter and with a larger
Connie Fogg-Bouchard
battle of Land and gold

without the Staff of Law, Thomas feels that his whole quest has been a failure. now he must return to the broken Land to pit himself against Foul with the knowledge that it might cost him everything thing and everyone. but he is leper and he knows hope.

I enjoyed this series as much as the first. the inclusion of a second protagonist was an excellent balance.
Sunil
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The end game of the second series. The return to Revelstone, confrontation with The Clave and the show down with Lord Foul. Nom continued to be the awesome presence he has been throughout this second trilogy. The conclusion was satisfying and made the build up worth it. At times I was fearful about characters and how things were going to turn out but I am so glad that things worked out perfectly.
Marco Hoogh
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
The best of the three books, for me. Maybe because it brought closure. There would be no third cronicles of thomas covenant - at least not for me. I do the book and the author a disservice, though. The books were well-written, the story similar yet completely different, and the characters just engaging enough for you to root for them. Four stars, which in my ratings means definitely worth reading.
Connie
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the end of the second chronicles, end of the second trilogy. Wow...I know I read this many, many years ago but there was so much that I had forgotten! The last chronicles await me...but I have to put them on hold for a little while. I need other stories to refresh me. These last 6 books have been draining even though I really enjoyed them.
Patrick Barry
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
The conclusion to the second trilogy is the best of that lot, but still falls short of making the second trilogy compelling. There are insights to Covenant and his relationship to the land, but not enough to cover the ground the novel takes to get there. This trilogy is probably only for the most ardent of Covenant fans.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Blue Adept (Apprentice Adept, #2)
  • Split Infinity (Apprentice Adept, #1)
  • The Druid of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #2)
  • The Nonborn King (Saga of the Pliocene Exile, #3)
  • The Adversary (Saga of Pliocene Exile, #4)
  • The Golden Torc (Saga of the Pliocene Exile, #2)
  • The Many-Coloured Land (Saga of Pliocene Exile, #1)
  • Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, #4)
  • Juxtaposition (Apprentice Adept, #3)
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void, #1)
  • The Illearth War by Stephen R. Donaldson Summary & Study Guide
  • The Sword of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy, #1)
  • The Tyranny of Merit: What’s Become of the Common Good?
  • The Complete Chronicles of Conan
  • Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina (Star Wars)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4)
  • Guardians of the West (The Malloreon, #1)
  • A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)
Stephen Reeder Donaldson is an American fantasy, science fiction, and mystery novelist; in the United Kingdom he is usually called "Stephen Donaldson" (without the "R"). He has also written non-fiction under the pen name Reed Stephens.

EARLY LIFE AND EDUCATION:

Stephen R. Donaldson was born May 13, 1947 in Cleveland, Ohio. His father, James, was a medical missionary and his mother, Ruth, a prostheti

The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (3 books)
  • The Wounded Land (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #1)
  • The One Tree (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #2)