Start by marking “None of the Above” as Want to Read:
None of the Above

None of the Above

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  11,259 ratings  ·  1,698 reviews
A groundbreaking story about a teenage girl who discovers she was born intersex... and what happens when her secret is revealed to the entire school. Incredibly compelling and sensitively told, None of the Above is a thought-provoking novel that explores what it means to be a boy, a girl, or something in between.

What if everything you knew about yourself changed in an inst
Published April 7th 2015 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about None of the Above, please sign up.
I.W. Gregorio Cate, your comment made my day and I am so, so happy that the book resonated with you (and that you want to share it with your students)! If you don't…moreCate, your comment made my day and I am so, so happy that the book resonated with you (and that you want to share it with your students)! If you don't have any luck here, shoot me an e-mail at ilene@iwgregorio.com and I'll see what I can do. (less)

·  11,259 ratings  ·  1,698 reviews

Emily May
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I tried to hold things together, but I could feel pieces of myself crumbling, turning to dust.
“It’s not fair. I’m a girl.” My voice came out in a whisper.

2015 so far seems to be an excellent year for YA contemporary. I'm always the kind of person who finds myself attracted to books that promise breathtaking fantasy, magic, prophecies and fast-paced action, and yet so many of those books feel like carbon copies of older works lately. Contemporary has been kicking fantasy's ass with powerful and
Lola
3 1/2 stars.

‘‘You fall for the person, not their chromosomes.’’

I’m genuinely glad I read this book. It wasn’t the best YA contemporary I’ve ever had the chance to read, but it was informative, authentic and the story went straight to my heart. I didn’t know that the word ‘‘intersex’’ existed before seeing this book on Goodreads, let alone what it meant. None of the Above clarified me on what it means to be intersex. It also portrayed a realistic circumstance of a girl learning that she has a d
Raeleen Lemay
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia, young-adult
My rating leans a bit more towards 3.75, but 4 will do.

I flew through this book, and I really ended up enjoying it! You can tell how much research the author did going into the writing of the book, and that was a high point for me. I felt like the general plot was a bit too high school drama-y for me at times (and the fact that romance was the motivation behind some of Kristin's IMPORTANT decisions was a bummer), but the overarching themes brought it all together for me in the end.

The main pro
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Lola
Shelves: young-adult

You know how when you take a multiple choice exam and there’s a none of the above option, you’d assume that it’s a very easy question but in truth it’s actually one of the most difficult ones because you’ll have to consider the validity of each of the other choices before finally choosing the none of the above option (in the case that it is the right answer)? Well, that is what has become of Kristin’s life in this story when at 18, she belatedly discovers that her biological sexual category is
Steph Sinclair
... Love isn't a choice. You fall for the person, not their chromosomes.

I love walking away from a book learning so much more about people and the world around me. It allows me to peep into the others' lives and backgrounds, understand their struggles and fears. I'm very appreciative of authors who set out to bring awareness to topics such as this one: intersex. I've learned a great deal from Kristen's story and I'm left encouraged by the strength she showed. The biggest con for me was the w
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always

Ever heard of the term intersex? Before coming across this book, I already knew that there were people who outwardly looked like a true male/female, but had other parts, but I never really knew anything about this condition other than that. None of the Above opened my eyes to this concept, and I believe everyone should at least give this book a shot. It may be a heavy topic to center the book around, but it was important and meaningful.

Kristin was such a realistic narrator. She questioned the u
Hannah (The Irish Banana Review)
I’m ashamed to admit I almost wrote this book off before I ever touched it, mostly because I didn’t understand intersex and what it meant. Not until Steph, from Cuddlebuggery, set me straight on our way to NYCC14.

Steph: Awesome! NONE OF THE ABOVE will be available at the Harper booth if we ask for it!
Me: Huh? What book is that?
Steph *pulls up Goodreads*: This one.
Me: Oh, right. Yeah, not my thing.
Steph: Really?
Me: Yeah … I’m just not into transgender books or books about exploring sexuality. It
Kelsey
None of the Above is a standard YA “issue book” about a girl named Krissy who discovers, shortly after her 18th birthday, that she’s intersex. She has androgen insensitivity syndrome and although she’s been raised her entire life as a girl, her chromosomes are, in fact, XY. From there it’s a basic “issue book” plot about finding yourself and how boyfriends are super important or whatever.

And I hated it.

Disclaimer: I’m not intersex. I’m not an authority on what is or isn’t offensive to intersex i

“Could I please schedule surgery as soon as possible to remove my testicles?”

This was an emotional story about a girl dealing with bullying, and trying to come to terms with an intersex diagnosis.

“Did anyone ever mention anything to you about something called androgen insensitivity syndrome or AIS?”

I really liked Kristin, she was such a sweet girl, and I really felt for
Dahlia
Sometimes, when I read older QUILTBAG books, I get sad thinking of how long queer kids have gone with those books being their only options - books that seem to have sacrificed writing style or believability or realism just so that there would *be* queer books on shelves. Books that could totally destroy a spirit, or make it impossible to believe in happy endings, or gloss over difficulties or sex.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the only YA-marketed Intersex book, and it is so, so heartening
Elise (TheBookishActress)
2.5 stars. Yes, here I am again, shitting all over books everyone else finds incredible.

This book IS important. Intersex issues deserve more recognition and the author is clearly trying to give these topics exactly the recognition they deserve. But first of all, it's kind of mediocre, and second of all, the rep isn't really all that fantastic?

// ISSUES BOOKS DISCUSSIONS

Here's the thing: this reads like an issues book where the "issue" is her being intersex. And that just feels... uh. I don't k
Inge

When I started None of the Above, I went in blindly, because I couldn't for the life of me remember what the book was about. The beginning was kind of generic, like a carbon copy of every YA contemporary out there, and I was worried this was going to be a disappointment. I'm pleased to say that it was not.

Once Krissy's intersex diagnosis came along, I couldn't stop reading. Even though I'm supportive of the LGBTQIA community, I had never read an intersex book, and I didn't know a lot ab
Samantha
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 stars*
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
None of the Above is one of those rare books that is not only important for its subject matter, but is a genuinely high quality entertaining book with a character I couldn't help but adore and root for. I fear that nothing I say can do it much justice, because it was just lovely, and necessary, and so incredibly well done.

When we meet Krissy, things are going pretty great. She's doing great in sports and school, has a close group of friends, and a boyfriend who she is thrilled with. So thrilled,
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

Looking for a diverse book? None of the Above ticks all of the boxes - feminism, sexuality, gender identity, and what it means to be a hermaphrodite. Now I thought being a transsexual and hermaphrodite were the same thing, but this book surely opened my eyes to what it meant to be intersex - or a female, with male reproductive organs.

It starts off quite deceivingly, with Kristin being crowned the Homecoming Queen with her po
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2015, ebook, ya
Books like this are SO important. It raises awareness and that's important because not a lot of people in this book knew what being intersex meant and I think that's true in real life too. I didn't know what it meant until about 2 years ago (ish) when I watched a TV show called Faking It and I'm almost 22 now! People didn't just bully Kirsten because they were mean bullies, they bullied her because they didn't understand. She was called names like "man-whore", "faggot", "hermaphrodite" and "tran ...more
Rebecca
I'll write a full review closer to the release date but for now, here's a few thoughts.

I loved this book! Though it's only early in the year, I can not only imagine its impact on me lingering for a while but it also being one of my favourite reads. It was engaging enough to finish in just a few hours and I felt like I was going through everything with the protagonist. I learned a lot about being intersex with this book - it's my first time reading about it and I had only a faint knowledge on th
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars Informative and excellent in many ways, and well worth reading. I wish some of the emotional stuff and plot points were smoothed out a bit, but it's definitely a book I'd recommend.

Lea
Maybe Shakespeare was preaching that it shouldn't matter if you were a man or a woman. But what if you were something in between ?

One of my teacher used to say that there were three absolute truths in life: we have a mother and a father, we're a boy or a girl, and we're born and going to die.
Although I hated him, and after a lot of time spent trying to prove him wrong, I realized he was right.

It's terrifying, really, to know that you can only be sure of three things in your life. So what if yo
Vitor Martins
You fall for the person, not their chromosomes.

Eu já tinha lido sobre intersexualidade em Menino de Ouro (que também é muito bom), mas em None of the Above tive a oportunidade de conhecer mais sobre o tema sob a perspectiva de uma menina intersexual.

Esse é um livro super importante que aborda questões muito amplas a respeito de identidade de gênero, orientação sexual e sexo biológico. Para muitas pessoas, esses conceitos podem gerar muita confusão. I.W. Gregorio, como cirurgiã, explica tudo de
Renée Ahdieh
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read this book, not BECAUSE you've never read anything like it, but because it's a beautiful, beautiful story that anyone and everyone will relate to--

A story about finding out who we all are, beneath the surface.

Just read it.
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 4.5

So fantastically informative and eye-opening. I just want to book-push this to everyone. I hope Ilene writes more wonderfully diverse books like this one. Full review tk.
Chelsea slytherink
I've wanted to read this book for a while, and it didn't disappoint! I've read this in one sitting, and I don't do that often.

The main character in this book finds out she is intersex. She struggles with the diagnosis, and soon, the whole school finds out.

First of all, the author is a surgeon, so she knew what she was talking about. I'm active on Tumblr and I'm a feminist, so I am familiar with LGBTQA, but this is the first time I've read about intersex, so I loved the doctor appointments, wher
murphy ✌ (daydreamofalife)
2 / 5

Short review because I'm afraid I'll lower the rating if I think too much on this one.

So! First and foremost this book wasn't bad. It really wasn't. If I'd read this book 5-10 years ago, I would've been tempted to give it 5 stars for subject matter alone. I mean, books with main characters who don't fit into the 'binary/cis/white/hetero' box are super important. And we definitely need more of them, whether in the YA field or not.

The problem was I didn't like our main character Kristin at al
Gisbelle
I've never quoted any lines from any advance copies I read, but this one is just too special not to share.

You fall for the person, not their chromosomes.

description
My thanks to Balzer + Bray

--------------------------------------------------------------
Point of View: Single (Kristin)
Writing: First Person | Past Tense
Setting: New York
Genre: Young Adult | GLBT
--------------------------------------------------------------

My first time reading a book with a intersex character, and it blew me away by how emoti
Edna L. (thebooknymph)
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
WOW! Wow. WOw? wOw. If you haven't read this book then do yourself a favor and pick it up ASAP? I honestly did not expect to love this book as much as I did, and I'm still in awe.

The book follows a girl who is diagnosed with AIS (which is a variation of intersex), and her journey as the people around her discover her secret. At first I was a bit nervous excited since the book had an intersex character. Like, an intersex character? Heck yes! I'm all for more representation. But at the same time
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
I received a free copy to review via Edelweiss

When I saw None of the Above, I was excited because I had never heard of a book with an intersex protagonist, and therefore I feel that None of the Above has made a giant leap in the diverse books movement. When I read it, I found it was a moving, raw and emotionally driven novel that tries its very best to stay authentic and provide a relatable intersex character struggling with her identity.

I knew very little about being intersex before starting t
jasmine
Things that are flawless: this book. The author knows her stuff, and she actually cares about what she's writing. Her passion is palpable, and even if you can't relate to the heroine's specific struggle, the message resonates and makes itself relevant to anyone: it's okay to fall apart, it's okay to need help, the ones you truly need will never leave.

Fans of More Happy Than Not, Not Otherwise Specified, The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley, Simon vs. the Homo Sapien’s Agenda, or Down from the Mount
Donna
None of the Above is a moving and emotional read that gives awareness to readers about people who are intersex.

Kristin has a good life. She has a good boyfriend. She was voted homecoming Queen and has the best friends a girl could ask for. She has all the normal issues any teenage girl would have especially when it involves sex with her boyfriend. But when Kristin finally decides it’s the right time, her first time isn’t what she expected. Being a mature teenager, she decides to go to the docto
Yonaily
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
That’s when I realized that life was a multiple-choice test with two answers: Male or Female. And I was None of the Above.

¿Qué otra novela YA tiene a una protagonista intersex? He leído pocos libros de este tipo, y en ninguno de ellos encontré a un personaje como Kristin, mucho menos lo que ella tuvo que enfrentar después de que descubriera su condición. None of the Above no tiene la narración que me gusta, ni tiene a los mejores personajes. Sin embargo, el hecho de que toque un tema que pocos
❝ M a r l o w e . E q u e s t r i a n . A c a d e m y ❞ 1 2 Dec 17, 2018 04:44AM
Read-along: DT Abril | None of the Above 36 28 Apr 22, 2018 05:41AM
Our Shared Shelf: None of the Above by I.W.Gregorio - review 10 132 Aug 30, 2017 09:51AM
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!1 1 1 Dec 31, 2016 03:46PM
Around the Year i...: None of the Above, by I.W. Gregorio 3 13 Dec 21, 2016 02:50PM
Help me find A book 4 6 Aug 02, 2016 08:38AM
Books 2 16 Jul 18, 2016 11:35AM
  • Not Otherwise Specified
  • Alex As Well
  • The Summer I Wasn't Me
  • Under the Lights (Daylight Falls, #2)
  • Don't Fail Me Now
  • Sister Mischief
  • Brooklyn, Burning
  • What We Left Behind
  • Comics for Choice: Illustrated Abortion Stories, History and Politics
  • Underneath Everything
  • Gracefully Grayson
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
  • Girl Mans Up
  • Conviction
  • Freakboy
  • The Porcupine of Truth
  • When Reason Breaks
  • Skyscraping
My reviews:
As Julie Ann Peters says: "Writers have enough critics in the world. I don't want to be a critic. I support writers in whatever way I can." As such, I have a very simple rating system:
*5-star reviews are for books that I LOVED and would buy for someone as a gift.
*4-star reviews are for books that I liked/admired and would recommend to someone else.

Bio:
I. W. Gregorio is a practicing
“Love isn’t a choice. You fall for the person, not their chromosomes.” 66 likes
“The biggest difference between boy and girls is how people treat them” 25 likes